Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Musk Kublai Khan

I did a trade with DocPsycho and he was generous to send me a sample (not a small one and even with an atomizer at that!! thank you again sir) of this juice. I had been told it was animalistic, and that conjured up bad images. Well, I have to say this stuff wears well, and for someone like Sixcats, who says colognes go to die on him, this stuff projected and lasted. My wife, who usually hates any cologne, said nothing, so that is good. If it is bad, she will comment. If it is a winner, she will comment. If it is just okay with her, that means someone else will like it. She is tough, and I love her for that. Well, I can see where some say Kiehls compares to it, but Kiehls is more, well, I do not know the word I am looking for, but Kiehls is not preferred to this. I have worn some Malle Musc Ravageur and I prefer the MKK. Why? Not as vanilla, and it lasts more, and I think it does not cost as much per ounce.

Now I gotta somehow get to try Noir Epices so I can decide which one for Christmas, MKK or the Noir

Sam

Default Re: Serge Lutens Musk Kublai Khan

Not that you are asking but...I would go with MKK. I love NE too but it's a strange one. Lots of orange and spices. Very Christmas-y. MKK on the other hand is pure sex in a bottle. It is also way more wearable in my book. I got a huge sample of NE from the Malle website just by asking. Good luck in your decision.

Ahhh musks. I love musks. Haven't gotten hold of MKK yet but I have a few decants of Kiehls musk and Musc Ravageur.

I don't know why people think Musc Ravageur is "animalic" or "dirty" or any of that. To me, it just smells like spiced up fruit loops with a bit of musk in the opening.

I'm still waiting for the day to test MKK!

I agree with myaccolades about the Ravageur. I also do not find it animalic or dirty, in the drydown especially, where it smells something like cocoa cereal. In the top it is lightly metallic from lavender, spicy without emphasizing any single direct component , and then it turns into a semi-gourmand blur. (I do like, by the way, and had a friend grab me a bottle at the Taizo shop) I never really do get any musk from it, or what I might call musk.

If I were you, I would get MKK instead of the Noir Epices. I hate to say this, but Noir Epices seems far less innovative. It has the ghost of Tabu haunting it, and perhaps bits of Chanel Coco. MKK is far more intriguing and provocative, and lacks the chlorine quality of the Kiehl's. Where Kiehl's is sharp and kind of bleachy, MKK is soft and insidious.

I adore musk, and I can't hardly wait for a decant that I purchased of MKK to be shipped here. I am almost hoping that I won't like it so that I won't have to be tortured with trying to find someplace to buy it...since I live in rural Alaska and there's no conceivable way I'll be jetting off to Paris anytime soon.

It's clean buttcrack and armpit - man-style - in the nicest possible way. ASnd then soft and pleasant in the dry down. I'll never need a bottle, but a decant provides me with unceasing fun.

My favorite analogy of MKK is that it smells like having sex on the floor of a public bathroom...body fluids mixed with sweet urinal cake and filth. MMMMM, got to love it!

Default Re: Serge Lutens Musk Koublai Khan

Oh gosh...I knuckled and bought a bell jar of MKK on eBay. I cannot wait for it to arrive from France. I'll let you all know how I like it!

Wow. I opened the decant and was like, "WTF, this smells very soft and sweet." I took a shower (with unscented soap) to remove the remains of today's fragrance, Bulgari Pour Femme. Then I put it on.

WOW. At first it was very light and unassuming, and then once it warmed on my skin the dang cumin note exploded. When the fragrance started opening up I thought, "Oh God...I can never wear this to work!" I smelled the cumin and was afraid that I would get a ton of funky cumin-type odor.

However, the scent has changed a lot on my skin after 20 minutes. Since then it's gotten richer and richer. There's a definite incense note on my skin, and the scent is just fabulous. It's not funky or musty at all, just sexy, spicy, and very exotic.

Someone here on basenotes posted something about, "Men smell like this all the time, but I think a woman might be embarrassed to smell like this." On me, it smells very nice. I am very pleased because I've got an entire bell jar of this stuff coming in the post, so I'm thrilled that it seems to work with my skin chemistry!!

If I *do* end up wearing this to work, it will have to be worn lightly and layered under another fragrance such as Bulgari Pour Femme or Narciso Rodriguez For Her. That's as close as I get to a floral.

Thumbs up Re: Serge Lutens Musk Kublai Khan

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    Wow. I opened the decant and was like, "WTF, this smells very soft and sweet." I took a shower (with unscented soap) to remove the remains of today's fragrance, Bulgari Pour Femme. Then I put it on.

WOW. At first it was very light and unassuming, and then once it warmed on my skin the dang cumin note exploded. When the fragrance started opening up I thought, "Oh God...I can never wear this to work!" I smelled the cumin and was afraid that I would get a ton of funky cumin-type odor.

However, the scent has changed a lot on my skin after 20 minutes. Since then it's gotten richer and richer. There's a definite incense note on my skin, and the scent is just fabulous. It's not funky or musty at all, just sexy, spicy, and very exotic.

Someone here on basenotes posted something about, "Men smell like this all the time, but I think a woman might be embarrassed to smell like this." On me, it smells very nice. I am very pleased because I've got an entire bell jar of this stuff coming in the post, so I'm thrilled that it seems to work with my skin chemistry!!

If I *do* end up wearing this to work, it will have to be worn lightly and layered under another fragrance such as Bulgari Pour Femme or Narciso Rodriguez For Her. That's as close as I get to a floral.
    What a great post! It just goes to show, once again, how body chemistry is really the deciding factor whether or not a fragrance "works" for you. Male or female advertising aside, anyone can wear anything if they like it and it smells good on them. MKK was also one of the few bottles I ordered from a French Ebay seller, and I've never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    What a great post! It just goes to show, once again, how body chemistry is really the deciding factor whether or not a fragrance "works" for you. Male or female advertising aside, anyone can wear anything if they like it and it smells good on them. MKK was also one of the few bottles I ordered from a French Ebay seller, and I've never regretted it.
    Thank you so much! I have thought a LOT about MKK in the days since I ordered it, and today after a particularly bad day at work my decant arrived and it totally brightened up my day. The seller not only packaged the decant beautifully, she took the time to wrap it in a little silken bag, and even included a sample of Santal Blanc. (I ordered another $50 worth of Serge Lutens decants from her before my MKK even arrived. She's great).

I was admittedly kind of freaked out when I first smelled that cumin note, especially after some of the reviews that I've read about MKK. You know, I always used to DETEST cumin because when I was in college I worked at a niche grocery store and we had a huge wall of spices that customers could buy in bulk. I *hated* filling the cumin jar because the spice smells really, really funky to me. (I won't filth-ify the board with my off-color nickname that I had for Cumin). For months I wouldn't put it in recipes, but things like guacamole need cumin. I feel the same way about the cumin note in MKK -- I'd never wear cumin by itself but it is one of the essential notes that makes this fragrance so delicious.

The drydown on MKK is really spectacular. It's almost caramelly-sweet musk that makes me feel like the most desirable woman on the planet! The fragrance just keeps blossoming and getting better and better on my skin. I feel sorry for the folks whose skin chemistry made it smell like a urinal.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea

THanks for this post. I have some Serge Lutens samples coming in the mail and this only heightens my excitement.
    (I lived in Anchorage for a year, and spent a number of days in Point Barrow. Would love to talk about Alaska off topic or pm. sometime.)
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache