Abinoam Cobice
    Aramis Aramis (hands down favorite!!!)
    Burberry Brit for Men
    Dolce & Gabbana for Men (dark blue)
    Chanel Antaeus and Egoiste
    Christian Lacroix Tumulte for Men
    Caswell-Massey Sandalwood
    Creed Santal Imperial
    D'Orsay Le Dandy (I like it on myself too!)
    Divine L'Homme Sage
    Fendi Uomo
    Geir Ness
    Gucci for Men
    Givenchy Pi (wonderful vanilla)
    Hermes Bel Ami and Equipage
    L'Artisan Vetiver and L'Eau de Navigateur
    Paco Rabanne XS
    Paloma Picasso Minotaure
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Tommy Bahama for Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar
    YSL Rive Gauche and Jazz
    Yves Rocher Yrio

heart of ice

Default Re: Hello Ladies

some of my favorites:

Jaipur Homme
    Boucheron Homme
    A*Man
    B*Man
    Pi
    D&G for Men
    Very Irrésistible for Men
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    Habit Rouge
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: Cuir by Lancôme

Quote Originally Posted by kewart
    I love to smell on a man:-

L'homme Sage (Divine)

I have to 2nd this one!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

These are my favourite male scents:

Jean-Paul Gaultier - Le Male (it is so good that I had to get one for myself)
    Chanel - Egoiste Platinum
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    Gucci - Envy
    Creed - Millesime Imperiale (I wear this occassionally)
    Yves Saint Laurent - Body Kouros (this will be my next purchase)

Talking Re: Hello Ladies

Love Marc Jacobs, Dior Higher and Cartier Pasha, EL Pleasures is a long time one too.

Besides the above-mentioned great scents, does anyone remember Zizanie, by Fragonard? Is it still available? One of my music teachers used to wear it.

I will second the Platinum Egoiste also.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I like to third
    L´Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme.
    It´s my fav on my husband right now.

Others I am very fond of:
    Versace Man
    Cristobal Pour Homme by Balenciaga

All three has really nice bottles, too.
    Last edited by Margareta; 2nd December 2006 at 07:09 AM.

My favorites:

Fahrenheit
    Chanel Pour Homme, Egoiste
    Le Dandy
    Terre d'Hermes
    Dior Homme
    Dior Eau Noire

I like Chergui.

I'm fortunate that my SO smells amazing in anything he wears, but my favorites lately are:

Acqua di Parma Colonia, and
    So Black by Pascal Morabito

Drakkar Noir, Cool Water (used to be better than now), YSL pour homme, Boss for men, every scent that has tobacco in it... .

Dolce Gabbana By for Men
    L'eau Bleue d'Issey by Issey Miyake
    Lolita Lempicka for Men (I hate the bottle, but I smelled this on a guy friend of mine and it was fantastic on him!)

Talking Re: OK ladies, sexiest Men's scent?

gunslinger sexy mens scents
    Boss soul
    Sean John
    Farenheit
    eau savage

Default Re: OK ladies, sexiest Men's scent?

Eau Sauvage - yawn, now please go away.....

Aramis has that effect on me, sometimes on men that would otherwise inspire the opposite reaction. Though in that case I certainly have never allowed it to overpower my reason and taste.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 21st May 2007 at 03:47 AM.

In relation to this long-standing discussion, I recently posted a thread on the male board concerning "weak" male scents. I can't remember if I used the word "subtle", but I do believe that's what I meant.

I particularly referred to Chanel's line of men's scents, some of which I have tried and found to be way too subtle and/or feminine for my tastes.

However, I'm starting to think that subtle might be a good thing in a varied wardrobe. i'm not a big fan of sweet and/or subtle scents, but I'm lead to believe from co-workers and friends and this board that sometimes, it's the right choice.

Any comments on that, or Chanel men's in particular? (Without trying to pick a fight or be crude, lewd or undesireable.)

QE

I've never relied on how I smelled (as long as it wasn't bad) to get girls so don't mistake me for those guys who ask, "what scent will have girls throw their lingerie on me!" I've only recently been introduced to frags this year and prior to that I never had any trouble with girls without em. My ex-girlfriend was a frag enthusiast and kept insisting I buy some cologne. Although me not wearing cologne wasn't the reason for our breakup, it made me want to smell nice for a change. And with the upcoming semi-formal I wanted to smell nice as well as look nice for my date. I just think it's part of a guy's obligation to look and smell nice when accompanying a female to events such as a dance. What do you ladies think? Forgive my horrible grammar...i wrote this in about a minute

This is difficult to answer, as I have problems determining whether I like fragrances on *myself* from day to day, let alone someone else. I know what I like when I smell it on a specific person, but usually no more than that. There are masculine fragrances I like in the bottle which don't translate over to chemistry on the person. The reason I say this :-):

My ex-husband smelled good *only* in Canoe. There were plenty of fragrances I liked better on a tester strip, but none smelled better on him.
    My brother-in-law wore a fragrance I thought smelled very nice. When I asked what it was, I was stunned to find out it was BRUT. How that stinky stereotype in a bottle could have taken on such a magical transformation, I'll never know. But it did. My current SO had a bottle of it, and it reeked on him. He smells perfect in Eternity for Men. I've tried many of the leather fragrances I adore on him, and none have worked - they just don't smell right on him, and actually stink :-(

BUT, I don't mind giving someone a direction in which to start testing - at that point, they're on their own, and whether my nose preferences work on him, who knows? As long as he understands there is no magic bullet, no universal aphrodisiac, I don't mind exploring the sensual qualities of masculine fragrances much as we do with the feminine. I think what sets so poorly with women on this board is the way the query is often worded, and the assumption that comes through behind it - to find a fragrance which universally turns women on, like a weapon to use to get what is wanted. That is very unsettling. I believe it irritates us because it displays a lack of insight and understanding of women. But the question of sexy fragrances shouldn't be taboo, as it's a special aspect of perfume. I, too, want to wear something my SO finds exciting. I think a permanent thread is a good idea with such an enduring question. I'm one who'd like to explore this arena more, except for fear it would start a barrage of inanity like "What would make you take your clothes off on the first date?"

I find Sandalwood extremely sensual, more so than musk, perhaps because musk notes are artificial now and don't have the power of the original. I have to take musk fragrances case by case. I also find leather to be a sensual note. Patchouli is iffy for me - if it smells too much like Patchouli, I don't like it, but when it's modified and submerged, more tobacco than patch, I find it sensual. I also find boozy notes sensual, especially the one in Idole de Lubin. I adore lavender in a fragrance, but don't find it so much sexy as appealing. As a rule, I like earthy, leather, and fresh fragrances. Coumarin is usually a turn-off for me, as is a blatant gourmand. I don't have much experience with men's fragrance because I've never been around a man who's a fragrance lover. I would love to be around one who is and be able to explore the sensual aspects of them together.

My list (which is liable to change tomorrow):
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Vetiver- Guerlain
    Eternity for Men
    Idole De Lubin
    Muscs Koublai Khan
    Opone
    Czech & Speake 88
    Jicky
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Un Cedre - Serge Lutens
    Black Aoud
    Dzing
    Musc Ravageur
    Tam Dao (maybe Costes, too)
    Piper Nigrum
    Santal de Mysore

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn
    This is difficult to answer, as I have problems determining whether I like fragrances on *myself* from day to day, let alone someone else. I know what I like when I smell it on a specific person, but usually no more than that. There are masculine fragrances I like in the bottle which don't translate over to chemistry on the person. The reason I say this :-):

My ex-husband smelled good *only* in Canoe. There were plenty of fragrances I liked better on a tester strip, but none smelled better on him.
    My brother-in-law wore a fragrance I thought smelled very nice. When I asked what it was, I was stunned to find out it was BRUT. How that stinky stereotype in a bottle could have taken on such a magical transformation, I'll never know. But it did. My current SO had a bottle of it, and it reeked on him. He smells perfect in Eternity for Men. I've tried many of the leather fragrances I adore on him, and none have worked - they just don't smell right on him, and actually stink :-(

BUT, I don't mind giving someone a direction in which to start testing - at that point, they're on their own, and whether my nose preferences work on him, who knows? As long as he understands there is no magic bullet, no universal aphrodisiac, I don't mind exploring the sensual qualities of masculine fragrances much as we do with the feminine. I think what sets so poorly with women on this board is the way the query is often worded, and the assumption that comes through behind it - to find a fragrance which universally turns women on, like a weapon to use to get what is wanted. That is very unsettling. I believe it irritates us because it displays a lack of insight and understanding of women. But the question of sexy fragrances shouldn't be taboo, as it's a special aspect of perfume. I, too, want to wear something my SO finds exciting. I think a permanent thread is a good idea with such an enduring question. I'm one who'd like to explore this arena more, except for fear it would start a barrage of inanity like "What would make you take your clothes off on the first date?"

I find Sandalwood extremely sensual, more so than musk, perhaps because musk notes are artificial now and don't have the power of the original. I have to take musk fragrances case by case. I also find leather to be a sensual note. Patchouli is iffy for me - if it smells too much like Patchouli, I don't like it, but when it's modified and submerged, more tobacco than patch, I find it sensual. I also find boozy notes sensual, especially the one in Idole de Lubin. I adore lavender in a fragrance, but don't find it so much sexy as appealing. As a rule, I like earthy, leather, and fresh fragrances. Coumarin is usually a turn-off for me, as is a blatant gourmand. I don't have much experience with men's fragrance because I've never been around a man who's a fragrance lover. I would love to be around one who is and be able to explore the sensual aspects of them together.

My list (which is liable to change tomorrow):
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Vetiver- Guerlain
    Eternity for Men
    Idole De Lubin
    Muscs Koublai Khan
    Opone
    Czech & Speake 88
    Jicky
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Un Cedre - Serge Lutens
    Black Aoud
    Dzing
    Musc Ravageur
    Tam Dao (maybe Costes, too)
    Piper Nigrum
    Santal de Mysore
    Well said flathorn. (And I like your name too!) I think you're right in saying that it's a valid question, but - unfortunately - you're also right in saying that sometimes the males of the species are a little ... clumsy in how we ask it. (Which by the way does not discount the possibility that women may be seeking the same thing....)

Personally, I don't care to find a "magic bullet/magic key" symbol. That would make it all too easy, and that's not really the point is it?

I love the fact that sometimes, it smells great, sometimes not.

Case in point: I think Chanel No. 5 is awful straight out of the bottle on a card. But a woman was wearing it on the bus the other day (I asked her what it was when we got off) , and it smelled very alluring on her.

I too would relish being with someone who was a fragrance lover and who is willing to spend time exploring the world of scents together. I think that would be the most satisfying way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietEarth
    I think you're right in saying that it's a valid question, but - unfortunately - you're also right in saying that sometimes the males of the species are a little ... clumsy in how we ask it. (Which by the way does not discount the possibility that women may be seeking the same thing....)
    Personally, I don't care to find a "magic bullet/magic key" symbol. That would make it all too easy, and that's not really the point is it?
    I love the fact that sometimes, it smells great, sometimes not.
    Case in point: I think Chanel No. 5 is awful straight out of the bottle on a card. But a woman was wearing it on the bus the other day (I asked her what it was when we got off) , and it smelled very alluring on her.
    I too would relish being with someone who was a fragrance lover and who is willing to spend time exploring the world of scents together. I think that would be the most satisfying way to do it.
    I agree Quiet Earth. It would be a wonderful adventure with someone who enjoyed it as much as oneself.
    Also, great to hear THE BIG QUESTION is sometimes merely clumsy wording, and yes... women want to know these things too :-)
    I think the fact there's no magic bullet is a wonderful chance to explore more. If vanilla worked on every man, things would get pretty dull. We'd all be wearing vanilla to the bar.
    What I envision is a fragrance *I* really love would be loved by someone who was attracted to me. That's my Holy Grail of fragrance in relationships.

Basenotes Plus

I have known many women and as friends they have told me things like "he's wearing Aramis!! I love Aramis" as I watch their knees buckle. Things like that.
    I've wanted to stop women at the mall and ask them what scent they were wearing but I also know there are so many sicko's out there and it's hard to trust people.
    Women tell me all the time that I intimidate them at 6'6" and a deep voice and I appear dangerous.
    I swear I wish that wasn't the case.
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vezerne
    Besides the above-mentioned great scents, does anyone remember Zizanie, by Fragonard? Is it still available? One of my music teachers used to wear it.

Zizanie is still available. They advertised heavily when I was growing up in the 50's. I remember a lot of Arpege ads also.
    I believe these were considered affordable French scent for middle-class America.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121739.html
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

on someone under 25: calvin klein crave (*sniff* it was discontinued :'( ), davidoff cool water deep, giorgio armani armani mania, kenneth cole black, ralph lauren polo blue, kenzo l'eauparkenzo, just to name a few. i think its the clean, ozonic, aquatic ones that do it for me...

on someone over 25: l'artisan fou d'absinthe, bvlgari blv notte pour homme or aqva, matsaki matsushima mat; very male, kenzo kenzo pour homme, jean paul gaultier le male tentation, calvin klein obsession night.

two scents that are marketed for women but surprisingly (and very very sexily) masculine: kingdom by alexander mcqueen (the cumin has a sweaty armpit-y smell that reminds me of steamy things that happen in a dark dark corner of a club somehwere that i will not put into words in this forum) and lovely by sarah jessica parker (in a way the opposite of alexander mcqueen -the musk and the patchouli make it clean, discreet but very attractive)... if kingdom is dirty kinky in-your-face sexy then lovely is clean discreet suggestive sexy.
    "she may be called miss, but she prefers mademoiselle." <3 ines

Default new cologne, need female input

hi ladies - i figured for once id go straight to the source instead of getting guys opinions as far as what is a) a good cologne and b) one that renders very well with the ladies

ive gone through many but currently i only have chanel platinum (all time fav), bulgari aqua as a daily scent and dior homme (which, surprisingly, does not render well with the ladies)

please give suggestions as your favorite, "sexy" fragrance for a man - im considering terre de hermes (although i have not yet smelled it), M7, prada, creed MI...please give me a choice or some suggestions as to what cologne really makes you swoon...thanks much

Default Re: new cologne, need female input

i also want to say i am also considering wallstreet by bond no. 9 - any input on this?

Hi BMW, welcome on board.
    I am a Egoiste Platinum stalker...
    There are a few scents which I also like: Gucci Envy, Body Kouros by YSL (I think you can check this out at DJs or Myer). Try Millésime Impérial by Creed. I am not sure if there are any store in Sydney / Melbourne which carry this.

Original Vetiver by Creed is also very good, it can double up as a shared scent, which I am intending to get one for myself.

I have smelled Wall Street once, but it didn't make a striking impression in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Sorry to be a wet blanket but there is a very extensive, indepth sticky thread at the top of this forum titled: 'Hello Ladies' which covers / deals with your question.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189708

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Talking Re: new cologne, need female input

Hi I like Marc Jacobs, Dior Higher, Sung Hei and Cartier Pasha, and Mens Pleasures is very nice too, good luck, perfume is such an individual thing. It is different on every person,,,,,,,,........