Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Default Re: new cologne, need female input

My favourite is Antaeus by Chanel, I WISH I knew more men who wore this delicious stuff! My second vote must go to Gucci pour Homme which is also incredibly yummy.

Default Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

depends on man not scent

Smile Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

I am happy to offer a few suggestions:
    Back in the 60's when my daddy slapped on Canoe or Old Spice he was the handsomest man on the planet in my estimation.
    Now that I am a 50 year old lady I like;
    Aramis Havana (sadly discontinued)
    Chanel ~Kouros
    Borsalino ~ Borsalino
    Dior Eau ~ Sauvage
    Karl Lagerfeld ~Jako
    Van Cleef & Arpels ~Tsar
    Lamborghini ~(the round bottle)
    Issey Miyaki for men
    My co-worker says Aramis (original), RL ~ Polo, Canoe, something called Excalibur she thinks.
    A second co-worker say she like Calvin Klein, Polo Black & Eternity for Men.
    Hope that helps. What you do is wear a variety & ask women in a non-threatening way (that won't ruffle the feathers of your Human resources dept.) if they like what you're wearing. Maybe you should stick to asking women who are your friends & family to avoid HR repercussions.
    numbr9
    Last edited by tigrushka; 21st May 2007 at 03:50 AM.

OK, I'll bite, especially since it might actually start some interesting conversation amongst women about what makes guys smell sexy...

I've heard that vanillic and sweet notes are not "done" in mens' fragrance, but I don't mind it when a man smells sweet. Bulgari Black, New Haarlem, Ambre Sultan... I like these things on my own skin, but they would probably work for younger and hipper guys, who are masculine without being macho. Also, I think Vetiver could work, if the guy is a slightly older, gentlemanly type... if I smelled this on a hot guy in a good suit, I might want to make him my sugar daddy, but, then again, if he's not attractive, he could wind up smelling like plain old dad.

I do NOT like men's colognes that smell too balsamic or boozy. And if I smelled Brut or Axe on someone, I would (a) tastefully buy them something better, and (b) fear for their sanity if they kept wearing the gross stuff.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Oh, dear, what a thread...

Scents are about much more than sex. The smell of a man is very importaint for a woman. Today one believe the woman is most attracted to the smell of the man whos genes are the best to be united with her own genes, for getting the best progany, the best child. Isn´t Mother Nature very wise, a true miracle...?

But - as we women all have different genes, we like different smells.
    Last edited by Margareta; 3rd February 2007 at 09:43 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Talking Re: new cologne, need female input

Quote Originally Posted by Lalage
    My favourite is Antaeus by Chanel, I WISH I knew more men who wore this delicious stuff! My second vote must go to Gucci pour Homme which is also incredibly yummy.
    I vote for Antaeus also.
    But frankly, the perfume that I am wearing puts me in a mood more, perhaps than what I smell on others.
    When I wear Tabac Blond I want to do naughty things.
    It's like catnip.
    I wouldn't care whether it is me wearing it or my partner, probably.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

No fragrance can make a man attractive if he isn't in the first place, but if the right guy wears the right scent, it might be
    A*Men
    Antaeus
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Égoďste (the original!)
    Habit Rouge
    Jaďpur Homme
    M7
    Prada Amber pour Homme
    Rose d'Homme
    Sables
    Tabarome (vintage)
    Un Bois Sépia
    Yatagan

Almost any good vetiver could work wonders, too.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 21st May 2007 at 03:55 AM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

Here's my relevant story:

Scent is a great aphrodisiac to me - as I am sure it is for many others. But I am here to speak for myself. Perfumes and scents are so important to me and have such a profound effect that I even considered ending a wonderful relationship with my soul mate because his prefered 'cologne' (Lynx / Axe 'deoderant' spray) was so offensive to me...

Anyway, my relevant story...

Years ago with an old true love, I discovered the aphrodisiac (for me) effects of Paco Rabanne XS pour homme. Oh my, I still get a little steamed just thinking about it. It was like catnip to an addicted pussy. We had 'discovered' it together (he let me choose it) and it was so effective. I am sure it could easily be described as a 'relationship / marital aid'

Time moved on and that relationship ended, others came and went but I still held Paco Rabanne XS pour homme in my mind as the ultimate cologne that could make any man into a love god (at least scentwise).

Fast forward to my present relationship:
    Soul mates are true loves for a reason - my wonderful partner appreciated my olfactory sensibilities and we went seeking scents that would work for both of us. I took this a a great opportunity to sneak in some of my lust juice and found that it ... was not the same! It suited him perfectly, there was no problem chemistry wise, I loved how it smelled on him but it left me strangely cold. He went onn to find his HG / signature scents of Chanel Antaeus, Givenchy Xeryus Rouge, and Guerlain Heritage... All of which smell amazing on him, and for which he receives many compliments. But none caused that olfactory lust mist to descend for me.

Fast forward a little further to the present day:
    Loving the dark leather / suede of Serge Lutens Daim Blond, Ava Luxe Film Noir, and Donna Karan New York, I decided to see if I could find an equivalent male version that would emphasise the deeper, darker, drier aspects. In my search I came across Michael Kors Michael For Men. Great! I loved it's deep powerful patchouli laced plush leather vibe on me. Wanting to see how it worked on a different chemistry I cajoled my long suffering partner into allowing me to use him as a test subject. I spritzed, let it settle, and then sniffed. I sniffed and sniffed and sniffed again. Then promptly dragged the startled test subject off to bed! *tasteful fadeout* This scent flicks the switch right in my sacral chakra and that man is not safe... Not that he is complaining. This stuff is good on me but amazing on him. He has since suggested that I source a very large bottle of this jus...just because.

In another part of the universe, my baby sister (hot 27year old) swoons at her boyfriend's Givenchy pour homme (red label) and gets quite x-rated around the Calvin Klein Euphoria for men, she discovered for him. Elsewhere, an old friend gets misty eyed and frisky around the scent of Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour homme her last ex used to wear. None of these are lust worthy to me.

The moral is there is no one scent that will make all women go weak at the knees nor one scent that will seduce a woman at ten paces. Even a nose-led scentophile like myself with a stated preference may not be seduced by a scent if you are wearing it. The best thing is to wear what you truly enjoy and may have received compliments on. Work on your personality, manners and social skills. When you meet the right lady she will either already be doolally for the scent you wear personally or you can have some great olfactory foreplay discovering a scent that does it for both of you...

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

(BOISTEROUS APPLAUSE....fade to excited murmur!)

Intelligent evaluation strikes again!! Many thanks Glasgow Gal....

(My late wonderful DH strode manfully through life in Royal Copenhagen - not a fave of mine but who gave a s---t! He wore it - I adored him = RC was a turn-on.) :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Default What cologne do you ladies like on a man?

What's a good cologne to get the ladies? under 20 years old (im 18)...I don't want anything risky or too old smelling..

Simple. Clean. Yummy. Head Turning (in a good way) Addicting. Long Lasting. Silage that everyone and their mother can smell.

any recommendations? Check out my warddrobe, I don't know if any of those meet my requirements b/c those are all fairly new and I haven't worn em out yet.

thanks!

I have tried Issey Miyake..but it didn't last on my skin Also tried Allure/sport. No luck with those on me. (scents dont last long on me..it sucks)

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva

Soul mates are true loves for a reason - my wonderful partner appreciated my olfactory sensibilities and we went seeking scents that would work for both of us. I took this a a great opportunity to sneak in some of my lust juice and found that it ... was not the same! It suited him perfectly, there was no problem chemistry wise, I loved how it smelled on him but it left me strangely cold.
    Thank you for telling us your story Moondeva. I also find that some scents that I love on certain people have no effect on me when worn by someone else. I'd like to offer that scents always smell like the person wearing them and chemistry is a big part of what makes a scent sexy.

However in regards to the concept of scent getting a positive response from women... I like sandalwood on a man. I guess sandalwood is a sexy men's scent for me... but like I said I only like it on the right man with the right chemistry for it.

I think the reason for this is because I had an ex-boyfriend who wore a sandalwood scent and it was wonderful on him. Incidentally he introduced me to No. 5 which is my HG. I've sampled a lot of other scents over the years but No. 5 is the only scent that makes people say that I smell like myself (and also that I smell nice.)
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Dear Men,

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur. I got it for my fiance a while back. I'm obviously insanely attracted to anyway, in most ways, so that probably has a lot to do with it. When he wears it, my knees buckle. But fragrances smell different on everyone.

Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva

Scent is a great aphrodisiac to me - as I am sure it is for many others. But I am here to speak for myself. Perfumes and scents are so important to me and have such a profound effect that I even considered ending a wonderful relationship with my soul mate because his prefered 'cologne' (Lynx / Axe 'deoderant' spray) was so offensive to me...

Anyway, my relevant story...

Years ago with an old true love, I discovered the aphrodisiac (for me) effects of Paco Rabanne XS pour homme. Oh my, I still get a little steamed just thinking about it. It was like catnip to an addicted pussy. We had 'discovered' it together (he let me choose it) and it was so effective. I am sure it could easily be described as a 'relationship / marital aid'

Time moved on and that relationship ended, others came and went but I still held Paco Rabanne XS pour homme in my mind as the ultimate cologne that could make any man into a love god (at least scentwise).

Fast forward to my present relationship:
    Soul mates are true loves for a reason - my wonderful partner appreciated my olfactory sensibilities and we went seeking scents that would work for both of us. I took this a a great opportunity to sneak in some of my lust juice and found that it ... was not the same! It suited him perfectly, there was no problem chemistry wise, I loved how it smelled on him but it left me strangely cold. He went onn to find his HG / signature scents of Chanel Antaeus, Givenchy Xeryus Rouge, and Guerlain Heritage... All of which smell amazing on him, and for which he receives many compliments. But none caused that olfactory lust mist to descend for me.

Fast forward a little further to the present day:
    Loving the dark leather / suede of Serge Lutens Daim Blond, Ava Luxe Film Noir, and Donna Karan New York, I decided to see if I could find an equivalent male version that would emphasise the deeper, darker, drier aspects. In my search I came across Michael Kors Michael For Men. Great! I loved it's deep powerful patchouli laced plush leather vibe on me. Wanting to see how it worked on a different chemistry I cajoled my long suffering partner into allowing me to use him as a test subject. I spritzed, let it settle, and then sniffed. I sniffed and sniffed and sniffed again. Then promptly dragged the startled test subject off to bed! *tasteful fadeout* This scent flicks the switch right in my sacral chakra and that man is not safe... Not that he is complaining. This stuff is good on me but amazing on him. He has since suggested that I source a very large bottle of this jus...just because.

In another part of the universe, my baby sister (hot 27year old) swoons at her boyfriend's Givenchy pour homme (red label) and gets quite x-rated around the Calvin Klein Euphoria for men, she discovered for him. Elsewhere, an old friend gets misty eyed and frisky around the scent of Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour homme her last ex used to wear. None of these are lust worthy to me.

The moral is there is no one scent that will make all women go weak at the knees nor one scent that will seduce a woman at ten paces. Even a nose-led scentophile like myself with a stated preference may not be seduced by a scent if you are wearing it. The best thing is to wear what you truly enjoy and may have received compliments on. Work on your personality, manners and social skills. When you meet the right lady she will either already be doolally for the scent you wear personally or you can have some great olfactory foreplay discovering a scent that does it for both of you...

What a great post. I could tell a similar story about various femmes and their favourite perfumes that have done it for me, where that effect just fails to transport to someone else wearing the same thing.

But surely there are two things here that are getting tangled together:

Is there a scent that someone, anyone, can wear that will attract all or many women? In other words, is there one scent that has a constant predicable effect irrespective of the man, irrespective of the times? Answer: probably there is no such scent; what wears well on one person won't wear well on another (unless it's got something pheromone-like in it, and then it will still depend on other factors for anything other than the first effect.)

Second: If a fragrance on a person is attractive to a given individual, will that same fragrance necessarily be attractive to that same individual when worn by another person. No, and that is what Moondeva's story confirms.

These two things are related but they are not the same. (A negative answer to 2 doesn't imply a negative answer to 1. But a negative answer to 1 does perhaps imply a negative answer to 2.)

But I'm feeling too tired to think properly at the moment — feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

--------------------------------------
    I’ve been giving this some more thought, trying to understand why the original question seems unanswerable and perhaps pointless.

I guess it is just conceivable that there could be one male scent that a lot women like. Suppose, for the sake of argument, it’s Paco Rabanne XS. Then someone coming on here asking would probably get a lot of responses the same: PRXS, over and over. So suppose he gets that answer 100 times. Then he could reason: “Hey, these women smelled PRXS on lots of different men and loved it, therefore it can’t be too dependent on who’s wearing it; so I can wear it and it will probably have that effect.”

But of course that doesn’t happen.

Rather, there will be a scattering of responses. Someone, in a sincere attempt to be helpful will say: “I’ve liked A, B and C,” Someone else will say “I’ve liked X, Y and Z”. And so it goes on, with many sincere responses, but little overlap. And the problem is that being told what one woman has liked does not give the original poster what he wants, which is that there is one thing that many women will like. Others, who know from past experience that there is no commonality to be had, say, in exasperation, that “It’s the man, not the scent” (which tends to miss the fact that the guy wants something that will just assist, not something that will guarantee success).

And the problem here is that it’s a foregone conclusion that there isn’t one — not because there couldn’t be one, but because if there were one everyone would already know it; there’s no way that it could be a Basenotes’ secret. Because if there were a near-unanimous set of responses on Basenotes, then there would be a greater unanimity out in the world which would be simply saturated with that scent (and that just follows from simple probability).

So it is a foregone conclusion that there is not going to be anything that has the desired property. (Except pheromones, but they aren’t colognes, and aren’t what were being asked about.)

I tend to think that what posters who ask this question want is simply to have a little bit of sexual banter and maybe a little bit of mothering. Which seems to be the conclusion that many on the forum have already drawn.

My 2 cents on this never-ending thread
    Last edited by Eluard; 22nd February 2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Others, who know from past experience that there is no commonality to be had, say, in exasperation, that “It’s the man, not the scent” (which tends to miss the fact that the guy wants something that will just assist, not something that will guarantee success).

And the problem here is that it’s a foregone conclusion that there isn’t one — not because there couldn’t be one, but because if there were one everyone would already know it; there’s no way that it could be a Basenotes’ secret. Because if there were a near-unanimous set of responses on Basenotes, then there would be a greater unanimity out in the world which would be simply saturated with that scent (and that just follows from simple probability).

I tend to think that what posters who ask this question want is simply to have a little bit of sexual banter and maybe a little bit of mothering.
    Eluard, I just stumbled onto this thread (usually I ignore it), and I found your post to be so thoughtful, insightful and well-written that it deserved a "bravo."
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Talking Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

It is a bit sad - but I love Issey Miyake Pour Homme on DH. he wears it well.
    Also - is slightly creepy - but Fahrenheit and Polo (Green) smell bloody great on my brother. I sniff appreicatively whenever we at family functions together. Also Joop Pour Homme & JPG Classique can be really nice when applied sparingly - NOTE SPARINGLY!

Other than that - no major loss of sexual control yet due to after shave fragrance - but the year has just started!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh
    Other than that - no major loss of sexual control yet due to after shave fragrance - but the year has just started!
    That's right — it's not yet lunch time. Just let the afternoon take its course.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinpus
    Eluard, I just stumbled onto this thread (usually I ignore it), and I found your post to be so thoughtful, insightful and well-written that it deserved a "bravo."
    Thanks, Quinpus, that's very nice of you to say!
    Last edited by Eluard; 23rd February 2007 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

I have found through the years that the scent that makes my wife jump out of her jeans is the one I'm wearing when I say, "Honey, I'm fixing to do some laundry."

Life is good!

Default Re: Ladies...

Like many/most women, I would rather only be aware of any fragrance a man is wearing at the point we are VERY close. That would be ages past the time I was sizing up how appealing he is. Strong fragrance on anyone can be a style statement or a miniature art performance, but on a heterosexual man, strong "perfume" is associated with either trying too hard or not having showered today.

This friggin' system insists on merging my posts. I waited a good long time to post this other message the second time, but it won't mind its own business. The following is an answer to the gentleman's laundry comment, and unrelated to the above!:

Ohhhhhhh good one! I love the one that goes with "I couldn't wait to hear what you think about this!" "This" being some idea he wants to discuss.
    Last edited by ravenrose; 26th February 2007 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Exclamation Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

Men smell great in Eau de Chanel -not the concentrate - and Wall St by Bond No 9.
    sorry I meant Chanel Pour Homme.
    Last edited by my mascara; 27th February 2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I always get complimented by women when I wear Amouage Dia. Millesime Imperial and Green Valley get me lots of compliments also.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Default What's the ONE men's fragrance that drives you women crazy? And why?

Just curious because I am making a return and would like something that will spice things up in my wardrobe, thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: What's the ONE men's fragrance that drives you women crazy? And why?

::Yawn::

I refer you to this excellent post: #114 by Eluard, on an excellent thread to which your ***** post will no doubt be added:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189708

And it was so!
    Last edited by moondeva; 20th April 2007 at 06:23 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Cool Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

Please tell me what scents turn women off !

You think it's easy being a Latin hunk and remaining faithful ? ?

Especially when thousands of babes throw themselves at my feet at the mere whiff of---

---Damn! And then I woke up . . .

*sigh*

Moondeva: Love the Crowley deck. Guess I should get The Star as my avatar, or ask you for a reading.

Ok, time to feed the cats and take my meds . . .

Cheers,

Mario, The Living Pheromone.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I would like to thank all of the wonderful women who posted there favorite male fragrances and being kind enough to participate in this thread as i read thru all the post i came across M7 a few times a fragrance i never heard of so i wanted to give a sniff and WOW i must say i love it once again thanks to all the ladies who participated i will go thru the list again maybe i can discover others

My experience is that even the lovelliest scents can be ruined by bad memories of an unpleasant boyfriend wearing them - Eau Sauvage is forever spoiled for me by a particularly nasty chap. And even quite cheap and mainstream ones bring a smile because of associations with a beloved. Eternity for men is one such fragrance for me; the love of my life used to wear it and even now when my best friend's hubby has splashed it on he knows he'll have to put up with an extra-long hug from me while I sniff him. (It's OK, he understands. As does she - now there's a real friend.)

I recently gave my sample of Musc Ravageur to a lovely male friend who is single as I thought it might improve his 'pulling power', though he hasn't given me any feedback. (Maybe it comes out as eau de polecat on him, or maybe the poor chap just hasn't had any dates lately.) Actually, he usually smells very nice, if a little 'overdone' - there's a fine line between enough and too much when it comes to chaps and smellies and too much is very off-putting. (Sneeze-inducing, even.)

My own darling husband is an unrepentant Aqua Velva man, straying only occasionally into Old Spice territory, which very comfortingly reminds me of my late father. He's a deodorant man as he's very shy about spraying on cologne (he's scared of hairgel and moisturiser too, bless him). But I have managed to persuade him to buy a bottle of Guerlain's Vetiver (probably because it smells a lot like Brut!) and that smells delicious on him.

So what fragrances do women find sexy or attractive? Well, it all depends on the woman. If there was such as thing as 'the ultimate girl-catcher' aftershave, the woman you're interested in might loathe it because her maths teacher used to wear it.
    Just wear something you like and that makes you feel happy and confident. And don't 'splash it all over' or we'll sneeze!
    Last edited by Wordbird; 21st May 2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: poor initial punctuation

Default The mens fragrance that turns females on

hey girls can u tell me the name of the fragrance that turns you on

Default Re: The mens fragrance that turns females on

Quote Originally Posted by surileo View Post
    hey girls can u tell me the name of the fragrance that turns you on
    Welcome, Surileo. But have you read the thread?
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

for me Wall St and Chanel Pour Homme are two favorites
    Last edited by tigrushka; 21st May 2007 at 03:57 AM.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Wink Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

The scent I love on a men is Eau Sauvage...mmmmmmm....but the natural scent of my husband is better
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

good post i love eau sauvage also
    Last edited by tigrushka; 21st May 2007 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost