Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

I personally love the smell of 212 MEN. It is very masculine, but it's not overwhelming. You can't go wrong with 212.

Something I like to smell on men is 212 MEN brand. It really appeals to me.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 11th May 2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: same thing twice

Default Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

For me, the sexiest fragrances for men are Armani Mania and Rush from Gucci.

Joop Homme...I love it when my hubby wears it !!!

For me, a good smelling guy is attractive in it's own right-- Ralph Lauren Black and Bond No. 9 Wall Street

I loooooooooove Aqua di Gio on my man...

I love 212 Men, John Varvatos, Issey Miyake, JPG Le Male, Gendarme, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin

Guerlain's Vetiver is my fave fragrance on a man. it's never 'wrong.'

Old Spice without question- and only enough on that you have to be close to smell it. or Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina mmm clean manliness.

Blog Entries

I asked my wife which scent smelled best on me. Her answer:

Mouthwash!

I fished for a different answer. I got one:

Brush your teeth!

I kind of gave up at that point.

Default Girls Need Your Help

Ok
    im pretty new to this
    from the uk and a student...i went to my local boots store and tested out a few perfumes

Joop Go
    Joop Jump
    Sean John - Unforgivable
    Burberry Touch
    they all seemed really nice but I really liked burberry touch and unforgivable, but i need your opinions

now i dont know which one to choose

for the girls... which one of these would really intrigue you and basically push your buttons

lukin forward to your opinions and replies

Chrome! I don't know what it is, but I adore this scent on every guy, it just works for me. Though I had one ex who wore Roma and Jill Sanders sun (alternating of course) and I never smelled anyone who smelled better..

I don´t know much about malescents, but I do think that a scent, that fits to a mans personality can make him more appealing. It would have to be spicy, warm (not sweet), and a little freeminded and very
    masculine at the same time.
    Try Oriental Fougeres!

Here's the deal,

The hunt for the "perfect" perfume is all about finding your signature fragrance or in rare cases; fragrances. I'm confident in that there is one out there that fits you better than any other, and it's up to you to find it. When you reach your goal, you won't be asking any questions anymore, similar to when you fall in love. Maybe it seems a bit too romantic, but after all; scents stimulates our senses and beauty in all it's differnet shapes should never be underestimated.

The journey demands an open mind and a good attunement and understanding of your personality. Easy as it might seem on the paper it's harder to pull off in reality. The reason for that is the fact that we are constantly giving others opinions far more credit than we give our own. You do wise in asking others, but when it comes down to it you have to value your own taste and more than often agree to disagree.

There is no one easier to tell than a person who desperatly seeks attention from the other or the same sex, whether he or she uses flashy colognes, fast sportcars, expensive clothes, giganticly sized jewerly etc. And there is no one more delightful than a person who knows himself. These things always shines through and it's a joy everytime I meet someone who emits self confidence with a touch of humbleness.
    Last edited by Noalick; 11th July 2008 at 07:54 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

My wife buys me Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor. She LOVES this scent. I get one every year plus the deodorant.

Gucci Pour Homme (the original)
    Gucci Rush
    Burberry Touch (so for the poster above, obviously Touch gets my vote )

Truthfully, though, I think the way my boyfriend smells without any scent on at all is best. When he goes away I insist he leaves me an unwashed t-shirt to sniff. And I don't know a lot about male fragrances so the list above is composed of my favourites from the not-very-large total I've ever smelled.

Also, Thaifighter is right.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Question LADIES, can we ask you something?

This is an open call to female readers to tell us men what you like. How do you want your man to smell? What's too 'out there'? What's downright sexy? What would make you ask a strange man what he's wearing?

Also, how much is too much? How close do you want to be to a man before you smell him?

Guys, what do your wives, girlfriends, coworkers, and other women respond to on you? What do they hate?

We have an ongoing, "What scent gets you the most female compliments?" thread, but I'd really like to hear from the women themselves what they think.

Default Re: LADIES, can we ask you something?

Oh, here we go again .

Red face Re: LADIES, can we ask you something?

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Oh, here we go again .
    Uh oh. Was this a bad idea? I went searching to see if anyone had done a thread like this before, but it's always tough to find the proper search terms when there's so many different ways to phrase this question.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    We have an ongoing, "What scent gets you the most female compliments?" thread, but I'd really like to hear from the women themselves what they think.
    The ladies have a board of their own. You probably reach most of them there. In the past I did when I wanted to receive replies from the girls in particular.
    Last edited by narcus; 27th July 2008 at 07:36 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    The ladies have a board of their own. You probably reach most of them there.
    Yes, but this is intended to be a discussion of male fragrances.

Yes, we have been asked that many times, but what the hell...... my very favorite, make me go weak in the knees scents on my hubby are Chanel Antaeus and Egoiste. Other than that during the day he wears Aveda Pure-Fume Tonic which just smells clean and nice. I do appreciate when I smell fragrance on other men as long as it is not overbearing. Sometimes my Husband wears my TDC Bois d'Iris and it smells great on him also.

One of the many things I appreciate about BaseNotes is how accepting its members are. I've not been here that long, but when I first got here I was asking a lot of "here we go again" questions ("What's decanting?") and kind souls took the time to accommodate me.

You're going to get lots of different opinions - here's mine:

"How do you want your man to smell? - #1 = Fresh sweat. #2 = Eau Sauvage #3 = Canoe #4 = 4711 #5 = Bay Rum #6 = Royal Copenhagen (These are all from The Men I Have Loved in My Extensive Past.

"What would make you ask a strange man what he's wearing?" If I knew, I wouldn't ask!!

"What's downright sexy?" What's wearing the frag.

I wear a lot of different men's frags myself and wouldn't mind any of them on any guy: Montana Parfum Pour Homme; Azzaro Pour Homme; Live Jazz; Havana; Tabarome Milliseme.

On the other side of this particular coin, some scents that are faves of the guys - M7, Egoiste, Third Man - just don't work on me but I haven't smelled them (or any of the others) on a guy....I am a discriminating Widow Lady (although my son does wear Eau Sauvage and it is divine on him.) Must be a Y chromosome thing.

"What do they hate?" Stale sweat. Insincerity.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 27th July 2008 at 08:26 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189708
    In fact, I bet this thread will be added to that thread.
    Last edited by irish; 27th July 2008 at 09:13 PM.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    ... Must be a Y chromosome thing.
    That emoticon is the most fascinating and disturbing thing I've seen all day. I may have trouble sleeping tonight.

How do you want your man to smell? It's him that I want to smell first, not his fragrance. I like fragrances which beautifully enhance your natural odour.

What's downright sexy? Equipage, Le Mouchoir de Monsieur, Habit Rouge, Chypre, Jicky, English Fern, Pour un Homme, Racquets, Elite, Eau Sauvage and, why not, Dioressence or Vol de Nuit.

In winter, I like hot and sweet ambery notes (Ambre Sultan, Or des Indes), rose/geranium bourbon (Hammam Bouquet, Nahema ... yes) and sandalwood (Musk from Villoresi).

What would make you ask a strange man what he's wearing? When the fragrance and his skin match perfectly. Sometimes, I just can't resist ... It happened to me several times.

Also, how much is too much? It depends on the fragrance and on his complexion ... I don't like strong scents onto blond hair men, I don't know why.
    How close do you want to be to a man before you smell him? 1m50 to catch up with one note. Less than 1m to really appreciate.

What do you hate? when the frag does not match his look or his personnality. When the scent is covering his own smell.
    Last edited by Night; 15th August 2008 at 06:31 AM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

For me, it depends on the man. For the most part I agree with the others: good hygiene, natural scent, and matching the fragrance with the personality, mood/event, and weather.

I can tell you one thing that is a turnoff--major sillage, especially if it is a heavy oriental in warm weather. It is really repellent for me. I agree with Night--less than 1.5 m to catch a whiff, and less than 1 m to smell the fragrance more fully.

Generally, I like classics: traditional colognes, leather, musk and sandalwood scents. Very woody scents are not very appealing to me (example, Terre d'Hermes smells heavily of cedar to me--and can be a bit of a stomach turner in large doses).

It's definitely the man. But a BAD or overwhelming scent can be his ruiin, to some extent.

Specifically, on a personal note I've always gone weak for a very delicate application of Gentleman Givenchy (seriously, a delicate application--watered down as aftershave even--it's potent but very sexy), and Musc Ravageur. Too much is definitely Too Much. I believe sillage should be close in any men's fragrance, otherwise, it feels like the guy's trying too hard.

Good luck!

Obsession Night cK
    Gucci Rush

I have happy thoughts every time the men that wear those pass by.
    It definately is a combination, how the smell mixes and the attitude of the person.
    I mean, sure, anyone can dab on cologne, but not everyone can pull it off.

Default Re: Ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by dayna View Post
    Chanel Allure Pour Homme
    Seconded! Plus Pour Un Homme and, above all, Eau de Freshly Showered Bod!

It's been my experience that when I'm wearing the following, my lady friends like them: And I'm just an average looking bloke

FM Musc Ravager
    Montale Black Aoud & Aoud Damascus
    Serge Luten's Ambre Sultan
    YSL M7
    Givenchy Pi
    Annayake Miyako
    Ormonde Jayne Ta'if
    Creed Milliseme Imperial
    Last edited by silverbullet; 6th August 2008 at 09:11 PM.

)))))
    Last edited by crunkjuice; 28th August 2008 at 12:24 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Ophélie View Post
    I loooooooooove Aqua di Gio on my man...
    along with half the world's female population.

I love sharp and green, Fou d´Absinthe turns me into a sniffing junkie. I could inhale men+fou d´absinthe for hours if he´d let me

Aqua di Gio is a nightmare, it makes me sneeze and I find the smell uninteresting. I agree with Egoiste though, also sexy.

it depends on your body chemistry, but I know for a fact that certain scents have made women hot and bothered around me. Doubly so since i'm not particularly confident/smooth as it is, and scent-less these situations are disasters so I really notice when things are working. So much so that the magic seems to happen right after i get a "heat" whiff of my own cologne. The thing is, even when women think it's the guy, a lot of times the chemicals and natural stuff in certain scents DO get them going.
    In my case, it was night and day, without certain scents, they'd physically look the other day, with them, body contact. and more After CONSIDERABLE trial and error I realized that colognes strong with PATCHOULI seemed to be the magic formula, but that's just with my own chemistry.

Jean Paul Gaultier
    Sean John - Unforgiveable

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    along with half the world's female population.
    I like your replies. lol.

To me, it's not only about how a scent smells, but the associations it triggers in my mind. Aqua di Gio triggers some bad associations to me(someone who wears perfume just to get closer to girls and he heard of this because everyone wears it). Now, to me, my favourites are:
    1)L'Eau D'Issey Miyake - it has some pretty cool associations in my mind that 1280adam and my boyfriend know. It reminds me of the first... nevermind. :P
    2)Pi by Givenchy
    3)Dior Homme
    4)Envy Gucci
    5)Jaipur
    There are others too, but these came to mind now.

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    I know most guys try to avoid this, but take her cologne shopping with you. Taking a women shopping is asking for it I know, but at least you will get your opinion.
    Bad idea. Plus, a guy shouldn't pay for a woman's shopping anyway, unless they're in a relationship and he wants to. My idea... How about ask random girls at the mall what they think about certain fragrances you sampled on those cards? You might even start a conversation with one and go to drink a coffee with her if you do this.

@moondeva:I love the guys in the Paco Rabbane ads. :">
    @Mario:Your post was funny.

I found that misting a scent on making it cover you instead of direct sprays to somewhere works wonders. This is why I've gotten complimented on every, single fragrance I own... just ask Delia

Chanel Egoiste (orginal formulation) is the sexiest smell ever, but I'm not sure you can buy it anymore (though someone did tell me you could get it on cross-channel ferries!

The new Prada Homme fragrance isn't bad either!

Good luck in whatever you are planning to use this information for!

Mimi ; 0

Chanel pour Monsieur and Dior pour Homme. Elegant and understated, that works for me!

SC, CA, NV- Who knows where I'll be next?

Smile Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

Having read through this sticky, the complementary sticky on the guy's board and comparing it to the general posts I have read I found one obvious fact. We guys are clueless as to what we should be wearing around the various ladies in our lives. Apparently we are more oriented towards intimidating or impressing other guys that we are in making the ladies happy. Somewhere along the line we got our signals crossed.
    I did my own little investigation which I will never post. It is top secret since I need every advantage I can get. I will say that the ladies fall into several scent reception categories. The intimacy receptive situations, the "I like you as a brother" phase, the office friend and possible future lover, and the "just smile and keep walking" situation.
    To complicate things, ladies have one series of scent preferences and girls have another.
    All of this is said to let you guys know that the answers are here if you look and use a little intuition and intellect. For myself I found several male or uni scents for each phase. This allows me to HOPEFULLY guess what is appropriate for each lady. It is amazing what you can learn on a slow Saturday morning.
    Guys quit listening to each other and let the ladies guide you. They do know what they like.
    Now if you still want to do the macho thing, forget the commercial scents. Go cut the grass, then come in and take a shower. By the time you are done you might be just right for an interesting afternoon.

Keep the suggestions coming ladies. We may be a little slow but we can be guided.

Pi by Givenchy on my boyfriend it is extremely erotic and I'm glad that I didn't smell it on an other man, it would have be terribly disturbing...

Otherwise Ambre Sultan de Serge Luten, Habit rouge de Guerlain, Terre de Hermes are beautiful on a man too, maybe it is more for a 40 years old man, a mature and confident person...

Night, what a pleasure to find you here!

I really think it's a combination of the particular guy's physical & mental characteristics with the fragrance he wears. Often, there is a contrast factor that can be very appealing. My two faves were each worn by ex-boyfriends that I really liked in general, so of course that was part of it. They wore Aramis JHL and Chanel Egoiste (both of these need to be applied very lightly). I would actually characterize these fragrances as a bit feminine, and while both of these men were very masculine, I think their choice of scents brought out a bit of romance and intellect in them. They both always seemed to have an air of elegance about them, and I do think that scent can influence that. The olfactory sense is very powerful.

This is such as interesting question and there are so many ifs and buts that go along with it - particularly the associations you form with a particular scent.

In my view there's nothing, NOTHING, so sexy as a confident man who is in control and exudes power (of himself), and his scent has very little to do with it. BUT, to be honest, even if Daniel Craig walked in wearing a patchouli frag I'd be sprinting in the other direction!!

Some scents are just too unpleasant to bear and the way many fools wear them makes me want to gag - perfumes are for smelling, not tasting!!

I love Vetiver on my husband. I don't necessarily think its a 'sexy' fragrance though, so don't know if I'd feel the same with it on another man.

He has the dregs of a bottle of Estee Lauder's Intuition lurking too and that's beautiful on him, quite close, and definitely one that makes me want to sneak up behind him and nuzzle his neck...

He wore various Calvin Kleins when I first met him and they left me cold really. Moved on to Issy and while it was okay it didn't really push my buttons. He did, I just didn't like the perfume. He likes Gucci for men now and as a fragrance I'm not overly impressed, but it makes him feel good and I just can't resist that confidence in him....

But, as has been said before, fresh sweat....gets me every time!

Exclamation Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

This question got me thinking and I remembered something after I logged off and thought I would share it with you.

(this is a bit silly, btw, so don't hold it against me....)

The sexiest man, by far, that I have ever met was a friend at university. Women (and gay men!) of all ages would literally throw themselves at him, which we would often laugh at. Apart from a drunken dalliance at a party we were just friends, though I was by no means immune to his allure. He was funny, intelligent, good looking, fit and so confident to be occasionally intimidating. He could walk in a room and you'd hold your breath in anticipation.

And his fragrance..... HAVEN"T A CLUE. I seriously don't think he ever wore one. I don't ever remember smelling so much as his deodorant and the only conversation we ever had about perfume was at a ball when he said I smelled good (Fendi).

It's not the smell, it's the man.....

I love Paul Sebastian. I know it is an 'older fragrance', been out for quite awhile, but I do not there is anything like it. So stately and sexy. Smells of 'sex appeal' and enpowerment. A fragrance does not a man make, but a fragrance does enhance the man, forgettable NOT.

Talking Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

The 2 that absolutely do it for me are:

Creed's Green Irish Tweed and Vetiver. i love most of the Creed scents, but there is something about those 2 that drive me crazy. i cant get enough.

I don't know about you guys but I never fail to turn a head or two with Black XS (Paco Robanne)

I also use fructose hair spray to keep the sweet smell alive...

They seem to go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    No holds-barred. Which (if any) Men's scent just makes you want to rip a man's clothes off and....ummm, you get the point. The scent certainly doesn't make the man, but I'm looking for a scent that compliments a sexy man, a scent that oozes sex appeal.

Let's hear some stories

Gunslinger
    I don't find a man attractive because of his cologne if that were the case I would have been with alot of ugly men but it didn't happen.It is more like the man's whole swag like his career,conversation,and what he has going for himself.

I like the smell of normally clean man (you know, washes his clothes, has good hygiene) who is sweaty. Let me know when that gets bottled!

Turns on: Armani Attitude, D&G The One, Dior Homme, L'Occitane Badian.
    Turns off: Jean-Paul Gaultier -scents, the worst is Gaultier2. Also aquatic scents and sporty scents.

Basenotes Institution

I adore Dunhill for men -sex in a bottle ! - and when I was a teenager - I used to swoon over the smell of Drakkar Noir !
    Tom Ford for men is good too as is Tommy Hilifiger for Men . I just love these scents on a man .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hillaire

Depending on the type of "sexy" man...different fragrances would be fitting, and enhance his attractiveness certainly..
    I think that an older, elegant, intelligent man smells great in Heritage.
    A smoking-hot, confident Latin man with swagger, Antaeus..or Azzaro.
    A spunky, modern, younger man with worldly panache, Gucci pour homme.
    And a perfect gentleman can always wear Pour Monsieur Chanel.

Part of the trick, for me, has always been if men find the same sort of scents appropriate
    for themselves that I would issue them, if I were their perfume counselor. (haha)

Men who know who they are, who are smart about scent and know how to use fragrance, are powerfully sexy.

Conversely, men who get it wrong can almost be a embarrassment.
    For example, only a few men I have ever met can be Kouros, but I have smelled it on so many, and its really off putting . I just pretend not to notice.

There are safe fragrances, too. Like Un Homme YSL or even Polo. Good bets for the unsure.

I guess,ask yourselves, what kind of man are you? What associations come to mind when you smell certain fragrances? What is the synthesis of the experience: what images come to mind? What places?
    And which ones are most congruous with your self image? Pick the finest example that fits. Be a force to be reckoned with.

I have no idea what it is that my dad used to wear, but I used to sniff his shirts because I liked it so much.

I work in a candle store and the yankee "amber glow" scent reminds me of it.

I don't know much about men's cologne other than that I do like musky/ambery/piney/woodsy scents, as long as it's not too heavy or cheap. Nothing says "I'm a stupid frat boy" better than Axe body spray. Avoid it and it's imitators. Also, Hygiene and health are important there is no scent that will make an unattractive man attractive.

At the store I work at, we sell a line of scented candles by Archipelago that are so good I wish some of them were perfumes. The "Stonehenge" scent kind of makes me want to bang the candle. :/ It bills itself as "smoked cedarwood, bergamot and Amber" so my suggestion is to look for scents with notes of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamflower View Post
    I don´t know much about malescents, but I do think that a scent, that fits to a mans personality can make him more appealing.
    I agree, but I also feel that you have to be attracted to the man whether it is intellectually, physically, sexually, emotionally etc. For me, there has to be some kind of connection, the fragrance just kicks it up a notch if that connection is there. There are many men that smell really good but I wouldn't even consider because of the NON ATTRACTION FACTOR!!!!!

The scents on the right man 4 me are- Cool Water, Ferrari Red, Eternity, Polo Blue, Nautica (Blue juice not the teal one), Kouros, Givenchy Pour Homme, Hugo Boss, Fahrenheit, and Burberry London...that's all I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I and when I was a teenager - I used to swoon over the smell of Drakkar Noir !
    Ditto...oh the high school memories!
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

What is it that women love about La Male? I just cant stand smelling like a pastry shop.

I don't think a man's cologne has any bearing on whether or not I find him sexually attractive.

I can love his cologne and want get close enough to sniff while having no sexual interest in the man himself. Or I can find the man very sexy, while having no attraction at all to his cologne. They're just not all that related for me.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren!
    Really, does any topic exist about which scents men love?

Wink Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

my blogger friend got a sample of Brooklyn Bond No. 9. Smells like a winner! Cant wait to get it for my husband!

Wink Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

Ok, now this might be a little confusing. I bought a large sample of Muscs Kublai Khan by Serge Lutens for my husband based on it's crazy reviews. When he first put it on I was horrified (as I thought I might be) and said "Whoa big fella, maybe you should go wash off the lion pee you're wearing!" and took several steps back. It certainly hit me with a tidal wave of dry, sun-drenched king of the pride urine (and maybe a hint of booze?) as if this particular lion had partied too hard. I was repulsed, even reeling from it. But then I thought to myself that I should give it a chance to develop a few minutes due to the hefty price tag and unusual reviews. We weren't going out so what the heck? Why not. Several minutes later, after it dried down a little and his skin absorbed it (he's very hot-blooded and his body temperature helped this scent out) I couldn't stay away from him. It still offended me a little, but it also lured me in like nothing I had ever experienced. Muscs Kublai Khan is like the bad boy you shouldn't want. He's a little dirty, parties too much, has had way too many women-but no matter how much you should try to resist you just can't. Not long after it dried down I was all over my husband and we ended up glad we had no plans for the night I would never suggest wearing this out unless it was to a club or bar. It was made for night, and catching a woman.

ok ladies out of my relatively small cologne collection compared to some, what would you say is the sexiest out of the scents i own?
    drakkar noir
    dolce and gabbana pour homme
    chanel allure
    joop go
    chanel platinum egoiste
    chanel allure sport
    davidoff cool water game
    ralph lauren romance silver
    or black suede by avon LOL
    i am just intrested to see what you would find more attractive on someone out of these. thanks!!