Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Sorry that I bump this thread so late, but I guess it would be interesting to see and even to quantify the difference between what do ladies (no offense intended) in general like and what do the ladies of Basenotes like, of course, just solely for research purposes and for argument's sake, in order to notice, most likely, significant and fascinating differences from the mainstream
    Thank you, Ken, for the distinction. Women who are not into perfume probably like whatever the latest scent-du-jour that the men are buying and wearing.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Women love Fleur du Male on me. My body chemistry knocks the orange blossoms into the background within an hour. It ends up smelling like baby powder with a flower whispering in the background. I know women who hate Fleur du Male when I first spray it, but if they meet me later they say "wow, you smell good". lol I don't tell them it's the bottle they hate.

But you should. Force them to rethink their perception of that scent, and perhaps scents in general. Scents are not static pieces of art, and should not be condemned to being appreciated as such.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    But you should. Force them to rethink their perception of that scent, and perhaps scents in general. Scents are not static pieces of art, and should not be condemned to being appreciated as such.
    It's the same story with Old Spice or Brut. "Wow you smell good" ... but tell them what it is and they're like "You WEAR that?"

This is what most people think about fragrances:

1. He smells nice
    2. He smells weird
    3. He stinks
    4. He took a bath in that cologne
    5. He's wearing cologne

Perfumery is boring to most people, and collecting fragrances is perceived as gay, so I keep my dirty little secrets.
    Last edited by Spray; 24th February 2010 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    It's the same story with Old Spice or Brut. "Wow you smell good" ... but tell them what it is and they're like "You WEAR that?"

This is what most people think about fragrances:

1. He smells nice
    2. He smells weird
    3. He stinks
    4. He took a bath in that cologne
    5. He's wearing cologne

Perfumery is boring to most people, and collecting fragrances is perceived as gay, so I keep my dirty little secrets.
    I adore Old Spice and think it is one of the sexiest things a man can wear. If a woman judges you for your cologne....she doesn't sound like much of a woman.

Wondering where on earth do you live that collecting fragrances is seen as gay? I wonder if you said this simply to be provocative. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I adore Old Spice and think it is one of the sexiest things a man can wear. If a woman judges you for your cologne....she doesn't sound like much of a woman.

Wondering where on earth do you live that collecting fragrances is seen as gay? I wonder if you said this simply to be provocative. Weird.
    lol I never say things to be provocative. I avoid unnecessary confrontation. I live in New York City, which can be as conservative as Iowa when it comes to male personal care.

Girls here are obsessed with brand names, so Old Spice gets laughed at.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post

Not trying to bash or anything, but Spray was right....the AVERAGE male, would find it weird and in some way even gay if they heard another male is collecting frags.....heck, they even find it strange if you have maybe 5-6 bottles which is too much in their eyes

Banned

When I was a teenager, Ralph Lauren's "Polo" made my knees knuckle. I still love it on a man.

IMHO, only perfumistas even KNOW what a man might we wearing - and for those women who equate name with quality only, I say pooh! Waste your money then!

Old Spice is such a classic men's scent - rather like Chanel #5's cheaper brother! Nothing wrong with THAT!

If a man cares enough about himself to wear cologne, I appreciate it, even if I may not LOVE that scent - (hint - give him what you like!)

reine

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    IMHO, only perfumistas even KNOW what a man might we wearing - and for those women who equate name with quality only, I say pooh! Waste your money then!

Old Spice is such a classic men's scent - rather like Chanel #5's cheaper brother! Nothing wrong with THAT!

If a man cares enough about himself to wear cologne, I appreciate it, even if I may not LOVE that scent - (hint - give him what you like!)

reine
    That's a good tip for the ladies. I always let my significant others choose from my wardrobe. They always find a favorite that makes them melt. I try to wear that one around them as much as possible.

One Million by Paco Rabanne! I can't even tell you the stories about what this fragrance does to me (seriously!)
    Of course another good one despite being a bit cliche is Aqua di Gio

the smell of 1 million doesnt last without 50 sprays lol

Default male creed fragrances that you ladies love

I know this is not about female frags but i thought i would take the time and get the perspective of the ladies. What Creed fragrances do you find irresistible and sexy on a guy? Inquiring minds would like to know

Default Do you ladies still go crazy over Aqua Di Gio?

Just curious thx.

Default Re: Do you ladies still go crazy over Aqua Di Gio?

I believe young ladies do go crazy over it (most of them..). True, the ones that are more mature and experienced don't really give attention to it.
    I personally like it..the clean, refreshing scent is rather pleasant to me. It would probably be better reviewed if it wouldn't be so popular but there must be a good reason for it.
    So..thumbs up!

Love the scent. It's only by association (too mainstream, too many youngsters, too aquatic, too generic) that it's so hated here on Basenotes. No wonder it's been in the top 10 for scents in stores for ages, in Europe as well as in the US.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Love the scent. It's only by association (too mainstream, too many youngsters, too aquatic, too generic) that it's so hated here on Basenotes. No wonder it's been in the top 10 for scents in stores for ages, in Europe as well as in the US.
    Very well put. I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    They have it ranked at one Sephora store as "#1 best seller." Who wants to smell like the masses? I guess this appeals to those who want to jump on the bandwagon of trend.

All in all, wear what *you* like and don't apologise to anyone for liking it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Smile Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

I love Silver by Ralph Lauren...my boyfriend wears that and it drives me absolutely crazy.

Of course you have to keep in mind that certain scents or colognes tend to mix well with the oils on your skin to only make it an exact match and smell wonderful on some people though not so wonderful on others, however I would try this fragrance it really smells so so nice.

Thanks

Rache

Default What do you ladies think of Rochas Man?

I love it but it doesnt last on me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rawquell View Post
    I love Silver by Ralph Lauren...my boyfriend wears that and it drives me absolutely crazy.

Of course you have to keep in mind that certain scents or colognes tend to mix well with the oils on your skin to only make it an exact match and smell wonderful on some people though not so wonderful on others, however I would try this fragrance it really smells so so nice.

Thanks

Rache
    Cool! But isn't Rache (if I remember my Sherlock Holmes stories) German for " Revenge? "

I don't know if it lasts on ADGfan--or anyone else, as I've never tried it-- but I'm astonished that not one woman had posted about how weak at the knees and erotically frenzied she becomes when she catches a whiff (on the right man, of course) of Gendarme's 1999 masterpiece,
    Mojo by Austin Powers

Groovy, baby

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 9th April 2010 at 06:23 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Elizabeth Taylor's Passion for Men.

Question Fragrance On A Guy

I just want to ask women here on the female boards, what is your favorite fragrance on a guy.

Default Re: Confused about what women like

My favorite, going to way back when, has always been British Sterling. Most guys wore it back in the day, and I love the scent (and the nostalgia).

Who wants to smell like the masses? I guess this appeals to those who want to jump on the bandwagon of trend.
    All in all, wear what *you* like and don't apologise to anyone for liking it.
    So, which is it? Should one feel ashamed of "smelling like the masses" and being suspected of wanting to jump on the bandwagon, or should one wear Aqua de Gio if one thinks it smells fantastic and not worry about what everyone else is wearing?

Default Re: Okay... So What Do The Girls Like?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Girls like money, nice cars, things that plug into the wall and make a whurring sound, small fuzzy things, "cute" things, metric tons of make up, Vin Diesel, and Brad Pitt
    Oh I can see you really respect us "chicks". I like bicycles ,being treated like a human being and any man with brains and manners preferably wearing "Une Rose" .

Default Re: Ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by djuna View Post
    James, have you actually know any women? Have you noticed how we all have different personality characteristics, hair colors, names, jobs, etc? Not all women are the same. Not all women like the same smells. So what makes you think that the "ladies" here would be able to provide you with a magic passport to any woman's knickers?
    Well said Djuna.

Having a bath/shower is always a good start... then not too much of anything you fancy, but only a very tiny bit, just behind the ears amongst other places, so she has to get near to smell it.

Like Madame du Barry, when I was a teenager, Polo by Ralph Lauren made me go weak in the knees, so did Fahrenheit by Christian Dior. But that was only because the men wearing those scents were self assurred, sexy, confident men who chose for themselves.
    My advice (and I know very little about fragrances except for what I do and don't like and isn't it a very personal thing, anyway, male or female?) would be to be confident in who you are and don't slather yourself in whichever scent YOU find you fall in love with. Soap and water can be as sexy as the best fragrances in the world. Just as Polo and Fahrenheit on a guy just out to get laid would make me run a mile!

I have complimented on:

Narciso rodriguez for men
    roxy quicksilver
    paco rabanne 1 million
    terre d'hermes
    chanel platinum egotiste
    armani mania for men

Basenotes Institution

My two cents......
    Tommy Hilfier- the original one.
    Gucci for men in the grey bottle.
    Antaeus
    Drakkar Noir - am I the only woman who thinks this is sexy ??
    VIP by Usher
    To answer DavidBond007 - I love GIT ,Selection Verte ,Royal Water ,REL ....quite afew good ones for men . ( REL is unisex IMHO ! )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman

I followed a guy around who used to wear this in the early 80's ... he was nice enough but it was the scent I fell in love with.
    In fact - it's the only male scent that's ever made me 'weak at the knee's'.

I'm trying to source an 80's bottle now so my kids can wear it when they get older - and perhaps have the same effect on their potential partners. xD
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

Not to be mean, and it has probably already been said over and over in this thread (but, apparently, bears repeating); the scent of someone who wears what he likes without worrying about whether women will like it, whether it will make him seem gay or any other of the somewhat ridiculous concerns expressed here and in other threads.

Seriously. Wear what you like, and wear it with confidence. That's attractive. Worrying about what others will think is not.

Default Teenage girl help

Im going in to 10th grade next week and i was wondering whether girls my age would rather smell A*men, Burberry London, or Le Male. I do not care about le male's popularity because most kids in highschool have adg and other aquatics. I'll probably have to change in college though

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Teenage girl help

Well, many teen girls go crazy over Le Mâle.
    It's hugely recognizable, though ...

Default Re: Teenage girl help

Give Azzaro Chrome a bash...

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Oh, we're suggesting scents besides the three mentioned?!

Go Dior ... DIOR HOMME!
    Girls will throw themselves at your feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    No holds-barred. Which (if any) Men's scent just makes you want to rip a man's clothes off and....ummm, you get the point. The scent certainly doesn't make the man, but I'm looking for a scent that compliments a sexy man, a scent that oozes sex appeal.

Let's hear some stories

Gunslinger
    That would be Aqua di Gio.

Opium pour Homme and Kouros, both from YSL- they are absolute perfection !

___
    Last edited by smn001; 12th December 2010 at 05:35 PM.

Cool Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

I really like very musky, yet fresh scents on men. Something clean but warm.

Maybe...

Cool Water
    Joop Jump

And for the evening, it has to be...

Sean John - 'Unforgiveable'

Blog Entries

I like leather scents on a man
    like aramis is very sexy. strangely i'm 25 but i have a tendency to love mature older colognes
    and i'm a big Brut lover Drakkar Noir English Leather by Dana
    but also the modern Y.S.L La Nuit de l`Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    But that's for a man in his mid thirties but i love deep woodish
    incense heavy hitters

The newest one to make me go weak in the knees is Aventus by Creed - very classic, virile, elegant. If every man smelled this way, it would cause the earth to ascend to the next level . My old standby is still Lauder for Men.

I don't need new or different or cool, I just like what works.

Wink Re: Which scents chicks dig/females love/blah blah blah

In my opinion, it depends on what kind of chic you're hanging out with. From my personal experience some like fresh scents like Aqua di gio or even cool water & on the other hand some like warm sensual fragrances like gucci envy, body kouros & M7.

My top favourites are :

M7
    Perry ellis 360 red
    body kouros

Will one of these three I'm planning to buy fit in the "scents chicks dig / females love" category?

A*Men Pure Malt
    Aqua Di Parma Assoluta
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme - EDP

Not sure if it's too old for me? I'm about 29 / 30 year old by the way. Though I doubt any one of these will make a good sexy scent.

Finally came back to this thread after a couple years. Amazing how many guys start threads that just get merged onto here. Can't say I'm surprised though.

Props to the ladies who answered, although, if I could make one suggestion, please leave out the "well groomed, showered, confident" type of answers. I also am attracted to women who are "well groomed, showered, and confident." I think it's pretty obvious that humans like those things in the other sex, regardless of whether they are men or women. The couple of times that I've actually complimented women, I couldn't even see them. I just smelled a very sexy, attractive perfume in the air, and had to actually search them out from their scent trail. I obviously couldn't tell from the perfume if they were "well groomed, showered, etc." So I think it's best to leave out the obvious, and keep the answers practical/on topic, and based on fragrances...Which, as I said earlier, many lovely ladies are already doing so well!!

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Props to the ladies who answered, although, if I could make one suggestion, please leave out the "well groomed, showered, confident" type of answers. (snip) So I think it's best to leave out the obvious, and keep the answers practical/on topic, and based on fragrances...Which, as I said earlier, many lovely ladies are already doing so well!!
    Well, I think that answer may be a counter to the men who seem to think that a fragrance that shouts "SEX! WANT! NOW!" at maximum volume is attractive. When it's really, _really_ not.

Stating the obvious is not attractive or interesting. Very few women are going to say, "Oh, _sex_. Oh, what a concept. I never thought of that, and even I did, it never in a million years would have occurred to me that it would be an interest of yours. Thank you for offering; let's go!"

I suspect that women need a few more levels of indirection in this area than many men realize. I think that most women need to see a man as something else - intelligent or confident or kind or empathetic or funny or artistic or any combination of a zillion other positive characteristics - before they translate those characteristics to a less intellectual attraction.

For example, I found Jack Klugman sexier than Tom Selleck, back in the eighties, because Quincy was a much more intelligent, empathetic, interesting character than Magnum was. (And, yes, now I've revealed my age and now you'll move on to the opinions of younger women. But I still think I'm right, whether the woman is young or old.)

So I think that a man's fragrance needs to primarily appeal on levels other than that final level of physical attraction.

And that makes the answer to the question darn near impossible, because every woman is looking for a different set of characteristics. Smelling good in a way that every other member of the competition _doesn't_ smell increases your odds, but that's about as good as it gets.

We heard it all before from women, what you posted above. Nobody actually said anything about fragrances being the be-all-end-all, throw this on and all women will run to you kind of silver bullet.

JOOP! It instantly makes any man sexier. If I smell it, I will literally sniff like a bloodhound and follow the scent trail, my lady parts tingling. My first boyfriend wore it and it turns me back into a horny teenager. I will strike up a conversation with a total stragner just to keep within smelling distance. Yum!

Surely it's Hai Karate ... remember the '70s advert?

Fahrenheit(sigh)!Also,just noticed Mimi's comments about Drakkar Noir-HAVE to second that!No,dear,you're not the only one-in fact I just purchased it for my husband.
    The nose wants what it wants!

I got quite a few compliments on Fierce. What does that tell you? Although actually, that was all I used to wear. So I assume the sheer amount of times I wore it is probably the main reason.

I wouldn't put too much effort into wearing what I think others would enjoy on me. I don't wear anything that polarizing, so I've no worries!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    We heard it all before from women, what you posted above. Nobody actually said anything about fragrances being the be-all-end-all, throw this on and all women will run to you kind of silver bullet.
    No, but for me at least it really is nearly impossible to suggest fragrances I find sexy without suggesting fragrances I find sexy simply because they are worn by a specific person, which sort of makes the point moot, since it's the person wearing it that makes it sexy, not the other way around. It wouldn't work the other way, I wouldn't want it to and I don't think (I hope!) anyone interested in attracting me would want to do so by wearing a fragrance that reminds me intimately of someone else.

The other way is to simply suggest fragrances that I like, on me as well as others, but that wasn't the point here.

What is it about fragrances such as Joop & JPG that makes women like them so much?

Personally I can't stand either, and thankfully neither does my wife!

I wonder if there are men out there who actually hate wearing it, but continue to do so only due to the fact that women apparently "dig" it?

Blog Entries

This is possibly one of the hardest questions to answer, because in reality the list will be endless. Women are not all the same, we like different things. What I might like to smell on my man, may be another girl's worst nightmare. If I had to compile a list, I'd say...

- Allure Homme by Chanel
    - Gucci Pour Homme
    - Gucci Pour Homme II
    - Obsession by Calvin Klein
    - A*Men by Thierry Mugler
    - Beyond Paradise for Men by Estee Lauder
    - Tom Ford for Men
    - D&G By
    - Opium Pour Homme by YSL
    - Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    - Cool Water by Davidoff
    - Intense Instinct by Beckham
    - Antaeus by Chanel
    - Prada for Men

Really the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    The couple of times that I've actually complimented women, I couldn't even see them. I just smelled a very sexy, attractive perfume in the air, and had to actually search them out from their scent trail. I obviously couldn't tell from the perfume if they were "well groomed, showered, etc." So I think it's best to leave out the obvious, and keep the answers practical/on topic, and based on fragrances...Which, as I said earlier, many lovely ladies are already doing so well!!
    I couldn't agree more. It's not interesting or relevant to hear banal generalisations from either men or women on this topic.

I think what we're all curious about (and what the original question was asking) is each individual lady's specific weak point when it comes to male fragrance, if any at all. I know these are often linked to the individuals you've smelled them on, but that can yield a good story too. I'm just as curious to find out which particular female smells different men have gone gooey over, and will head over to the relevant thread on the male frag board to find out. We're talking about smell here, not gender politics.

I've said elsewhere that JPG Le Male does peculiar things to my central nervous system. It doesn't even have to be on anyone! I walk past the bottle and I swoon!

I personally also love the way some men's sweat mixes with the (usually cheap supermarket brand) deodorant they're wearing, but that's enormously personal and probably linked to crazy shit like pheromones.

I like Axe. It doesn't ask questions or make apologies. I just graduated from college and all of the boys had their Axe and Axe Dark Chocolate spray cans lying on the floor amid beef jerky and socks.

Kouros would have the same appeal in a more distinguished crowd.

Here's some other ones I like:

*Azzaro Pour Homme
    *Beyond Paradise Men (the tropical thing is hot!)
    *Pour Monsieur by Chanel
    *Habit Rouge by Guerlain
    *Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Glad we're in agreement about Old Spice!
    http://www.scentsate.com/

Eau Sauvage, or Creed Green Irish Tweed. Mmmmmm

Ok If you discount things like the old musky Brut from erm thirty years ago, and the adorable Old Spice oriental ditto, then remove stuff from Dior and Chanel such as Fahrenheit and Monsieur of which the new versions seem to smell like a chemical spill (I think I'm quoting Luca here), then there is the silly teenage associations with the things from the supermarket shelves that we women all see as 'testosteronemale' even if we hate the scent -( hard (!) to explain but you now its a message) - well, theres's two I know of...
    Tauers Lonestar Memories
    Lutens Musc Kublai Khan
    pure limbic mating signals

I'm not sure if this is directly related to the topic but I do answer the topic question and I respond to previous posts about how scent isn't everything. My personal experience regarding men and their scents probably reflects my stupidity or maybe it shows how highly reactive and sensitive I am to scents. My ex-boyfriend was a jerk who treated me somewhat cruelly and yet for a year I was fixated on him, including his scent: he wore Armani Code on our first date and all throughout our brief but intense relationship.

It's been a year and a half; I've dated quite a few men but it's only fairly recent that I realised how their scents affected my decisions about them. One of the men I dated was, I would say, quite good-looking - tall, slim, well-spoken and well-dressed - and he treated me well but when it came to the point where there would be physical intimacy I just couldn't get excited and I never let it reach a point where we were both naked. It was subconscious to me then, but I realise now his scent had a lot to do with it. He didn't wear any fragrance which might have helped and he had this odour that reminded me of an illness (probably clogged sinuses).

Then I dated another man for about a month. I wasn't sure about him at first and in the end I knew I didn't want to be with him. How much influence did scent have? Well, my friends thought he's cute; he's 5'7 and quite slim. I remember during our last date, I was sitting next to him in the train and I smelled this really pungent scent coming from him. I wasn't a fragrance enthusiast then and all I could think of was "yuck". It was probably his aftershave. It did not suit him and it didn't help any in getting me to feel attracted to him. It definitely didn't help that during our date he kept commenting on how cute and attractive other women were, but never complimented me. I might've overlooked his scent if he acted differently.

So how big a role did scent play overall? Well, I think scents, especially for women like me, play a big role in making a good first impression and fostering sexual attraction. I think it helps in creating an aura of sexual magnetism which in the long-term may lead to obsession. Just obsession, especially the sexual kind (but aren't all obsessions sexual?) but not love.

So I guess what I'm saying here is that a jerk with good looks, nice clothes, confidence and a fragrance that works well with his body chemistry can make women - not fall for them - but get obsessed with them (and it's easy to confuse love with obsession). Has a much, much higher percentage of working on women who are quite young (I was 22 at the time), inexperienced and naive. I also have to say that perhaps I wasn't looking for love - I was just looking for the next obsession. If it was really love I was looking for, I probably would overlook silly things like scents, right?

But to be more on topic, I've been noticing men's fragrances as they walk past me in the streets. I've noticed that a lot of them have this same generic smell that I won't name. It smells okay but nothing about it draws me to them either.

As for the fragrances that draw me to men, I've mentioned one above: Armani Code for men. Good lasting power and great sillage. I think anything with good sillage and longevity and great chemistry with you is a good choice. Davidoff Cool water for men has been mentioned already. I don't have personal experience with it but I remember reading a piece of literature once where a girl was obsessing over a boy and how she couldn't forget his Cool Water perfume.

Blog Entries

Venutian - welcome to basenotes!

Interesting post - I've often thought that scents affect us subconsiously and yeah, no matter how attracted I might be to a guy, I wouldn't go near him if he smelled horrible! Ewwwwww. D:

As for some matronly advice, I was thinking that perhaps you can carry a bottle of Armani Code around with you in case you meet a nice guy who doesn't smell all that great!

Also, I think the word you're looking for is "infatuation" rather than "obsession", yes?
    Obsession is unhealthy - and yes I mean the Calvin Klein kind as well. >.>

He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D: