Code of Conduct

Default Apres l'Ondee reformulation

Hello good people.

Can anyone tell me when Après l'Ondée EdT was reformulated? I'm guessing around 2011 but would be grateful for external corroboration.

(I've recently fallen hard for the vintage. No surprise there )

Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: Apres l'Ondee reformulation

I would like to know for sure as well. IFRA regulations against heliotropin came in 2010 so best guess would be after that.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I'd say around 2010 too, when the regulation on heliotropin hit. AO doesn't seem something produced yearly, so presumably the latest good batch must have been produced sometimes in the first decade of the century. I remember seeing bee bottles before 2010, but I have not smelled them, so i would not know. Non-bee bottles predate this and so should be fine, as long as you're willing to pay for the hefty price.

cacio

Thank you. Hunting around a little more, I've seen 2011 mentioned as a date - so perhaps early 2010 would still be good?

I will say when they appeared in the new Bee Bottle. I have the older version which fitted into the 93ml size gold case and it is gorgeous heliotrope rich. The Bee Bottle is a lovely floral iris but does not have the Guerlain classic heliotrope vibe.
    DONNA

The earlier Bee is fine, still very much the classic accord (I have a couple of back-ups) but I noticed a distinct change about 2 years ago so I imagine 2011 is about right. It's a light iris now, the heliotrope, mimosa quality - the magic - has pretty well gone.

Unless you have it from a trusted source of information, I'd say 2010 is risky, because often companies started reformulating a little before the regulation would take place.

cacio

Oh, I missed the thread. I can add a bit to solve the mystery. My bottle is 0Q01 and the new mimosa prominent thing. Either way, longevity and sillage is frustrating on my skin. I have given up on it.

Maybe Mr Guerlain knows it?
    Well, how different is the current one from the vintage? I have only tried the vintage, which is the one that i have a tester bottle.

Apres L'ondee is one of my Guerlain fetishs, if i just get rich anyday i'll order a liter of it in pure parfum concentration

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Well, how different is the current one from the vintage? I have only tried the vintage, which is the one that i have a tester bottle.
    You're lucky! They're quite different, is the general consensus. As Donna says, the new is a relatively lean, iris-prominent affair, lacking the magic, dreamy quality that makes this and vintage L'Heure Bleue such remarkable fragrances. It's enough to make me hunt for vintage (again).

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    You're lucky! They're quite different, is the general consensus. As Donna says, the new is a relatively lean, iris-prominent affair, lacking the magic, dreamy quality that makes this and vintage L'Heure Bleue such remarkable fragrances. It's enough to make me hunt for vintage (again).
    Mine has a purple-violet aura, which is what i like on it the most.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Apres L'ondee is one of my Guerlain fetishs, if i just get rich anyday i'll order a liter of it in pure parfum concentration
    Good luck finding one. The parfum was discontinued a while ago, though the thought that there might be a whole bee bottle of ALO floating around somewhere … (*swoon*).

Interestingly, I found the AlO Extrait to be nothing special being a wonderful iris 'only', the old EdT was magic however (heliotrope) but very fleeting. The new EdT is maybe my favorite rooty iris with plenty mimosa, but again very fleeting and hardly any sillage.

Good luck finding one. The parfum was discontinued a while ago, though the thought that there might be a whole bee bottle of ALO floating around somewhere … (*swoon*).
    Well, there is at least some ALO parfum on ebay, but it's pretty expensive.

Please, does it mean that the new reformed is more iris oriented? If the answer is yes, that is not a bad thinng for iris lovers, but it can be dissappointing for the AO lovers as well.

Saminlondon you have fallen hard. Larimar is spot on the old EdT is worth tracking down. The batch number on my earlier bee bottle is 4J01 (2004) and to my novice nose there is noticeable difference in the scent and colour. To be fair, I'm not sure if the colour might just be due to age.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by prosperonline View Post
    Please, does it mean that the new reformed is more iris oriented? If the answer is yes, that is not a bad thinng for iris lovers, but it can be dissappointing for the AO lovers as well.
    Well, I'm not an expert, but to my nose it seems that the new, reformed EdT is more or less just a dry iris, whereas the old EdT had much more going on - dreamy heliotrope and some violet - on top of a rooty, somewhat carroty iris.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Interestingly, I found the AlO Extrait to be nothing special being a wonderful iris 'only', the old EdT was magic however (heliotrope) but very fleeting. The new EdT is maybe my favorite rooty iris with plenty mimosa, but again very fleeting and hardly any sillage.
    I did have a small bottle of the extrait but sold it. Duh! What was I thinking? At the time I didn't really like it, but when I smelled the re-created extrait at the Maison Guerlain last month - wow! What a beauty - enough to bring tears to your eyes. The fact that it was fresh rather than forty years old probably helped.

I did have a small bottle of the extrait but sold it. Duh! What was I thinking? At the time I didn't really like it, but when I smelled the re-created extrait at the Maison Guerlain last month - wow! What a beauty - enough to bring tears to your eyes. The fact that it was fresh rather than forty years old probably helped.
    I suspect that i would go mad if i smelled the recreated extrait. It's so sad that i cannot be done anymore due to those damn IFRA restrictions.

Basenotes Institution

I have a bottle of vintage parfum, I bought from a vintage shop, but I am still working on getting the top off.

The juice looks, though, like it might have turned.

Maybe I'll work on that this weekend...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle