Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 13 March, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Ancient Resins - Aftelier.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 13 March, 2014.

Back to the artic air masses, wearing SL Douce Amere for warmth, comfort and its fabulous feel.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Loved the photos ExtremeK

SotD is Montale Sandflowers.

Does exactly what is says on the tin - sun kissed sand, oceanic breeze, light florals, rounded off with a bracing juniper. Eyes shut, deep breaths - we're back in NZ strolling by the Pacific on Waimiari Beach (he wishes ). A real sleeper, worthy of more attention, IMO.

Coincidentally, I noticed that maisonstinky celebtrates his birthday today and always recall him being one of our biggest Montale afficionados. Any of the old school remember Vijay ?.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 13th March 2014 at 10:48 AM.

Hi everyone,

Wishing you a lovely Thursday in Beige tonight by mistake (was going for Bel Respiro). Just been one of those days, need a cuddle and a coffee. Heading off to barre and pointe before I find an excuse not to go. Will check in later. How beautiful is this costume!

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Gorilla Perfume The Smell of Weather Turning today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. It's my 32nd wedding anniversary today and I am wearing Perfect Veil, my better half's favorite on me. Best to all.

"I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille for today. The weather had been so nice the last few days, and now it's freezing again. Not happy about that, but on the bright side, the combo of cold weather + Un Bois Vanille never fails me.

ETA: Happy anniversary, tdem1961!

Hello all. Happy anniversary, tdem!

Basenotes Plus

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

A very Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby, tdem!

We're back to cold windy weather, but the storm affecting northern New England missed us this time.
    SotD is Jour de Fête.

Hello, everyone -

I'm in Dior New Look 1937 again - I suppose I've fallen for it. It's another of Sylvie's and it really surprised me because I initially found it quite sweet and, actually, a bit boring ...but once again, first impressions can be very misleading. At the moment I'm in ylang, iris and rose bliss ...maybe some peony too, but it's a listed note, and I'm not sure I'd be getting any if I hadn't read that. Peony and rose can be difficult to isolate within a composition. But peony or not, it's a gorgeous floral bouquet, lush, feminine and sophisticated, everything you'd expect from Dior and Demachy ...and there's just enough sweetness from the rich vanilla that my little ballerinas give it their approval, too. Y'all know that's important to me, and I won't even try to lie about it; I absolutely *crave* the precious little compliments of 4-yr olds.

Y'all have great day!

Congratulations on your 32nd year together, Tdem - that's *so* wonderful! I bet the next 32 are even better!
    Here's to the romantic couple!

Last edited by Evangeline; 13th March 2014 at 11:28 AM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Hi all & a very happy anniversary to the tdems!

l've got two days off now, it's a lovely sunny day & l'm off outside to do more gardening in Diorissimo.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

M7 Oud Absolu

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 13 March, 2014.

Happy Wedding AnniversayTerry

Last edited by ROBERTO; 13th March 2014 at 07:11 PM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Hello all. Miller Harris Terre d'Iris
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Hi everyone! Expecting a very mild day, hopefully some of our snow will melt.

Happy Anniversary, Tdem!! I hope you and your hubby have a very special day!

Teardrop
    , enjoy your day off!

Wearing Floris Snow Rose this morning.

Have a great day, everyone!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 13th March 2014 at 11:59 AM.

Tdem, congrats on your anniversary! I hope the two of you enjoy a lovely celebration.

Grabbed an old sample that I was initially not "getting", so will try it again after a few years.
    FM Le Parfum de Therese for me today. Probably just too pretty for me, but we will see how the day goes.

cello - do you find Le Parfum de Therese very similar to Quartz? I've read that several times - I suppose it's because of the melon note, but I don't get a heavy melon note in Quartz, and it certainly couldn't be described as "too pretty." At any rate, I've wanted to go back and try LPdT again, but I don't remember my impressions at all, so nothing has been really compelling me to go back to it, and I already know and love Quartz, so I figured I wouldn't bother ...unless you think it's worth it by the end of the day. Our tastes often run in parallel lines, but they intersect every now and then.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Happy Anniversary to the Tdems. Love the photo, what a stunning bride! Wishing you the most lovely of days and many happy years together.

Sampling Jalanine Patchouli this evening. Sweet, warm, creamy and aromatic. How best to describe it? Clean warm skin anointed with vanilla, amber and touch of bitter chocolate. It delivers that unctuous, velvet patchouli note with an earthy muskiness that and makes you feel all squirmy inside. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you like patchouli you need to try this one.

ExtremeK and Danieq I wonder if this one might appeal to your gourmand inklings? Given it's a perfume oil don't expect a huge amount of projection but the sillage is quite divine. I find it very special…

Hello all,

Today I'm in

Molyneux - Vivre
    Last edited by Puma; 13th March 2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume.
    - Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Institution

teardrop - oh yes, I YouTube'd many of those episodes where Ben was dancing. Joe tipped me off to it. Yeah he definitely used his shirtless chest to score some brownie-points with the judges. Which was totally fine with me. I took a picture of my BC calendar this morning.

Evangeline - I love Mercer's voice (sometimes, to me, he sounds like Morrissey) but I haven't listened to any of his Broken Bells stuff. Hope you enjoyed the show
    ExtremeK - glad you enjoyed your b'day & wow those pictures of your trip are amazing. Just beautiful! And yes, I can drink as much water as I want now - although I am trying to drink only distilled water (aka purified water) since when you're cleansing even the slightest amount of toxins (in tap water for instance) can give you weird side effects.
    Jon - I saw those new Montale's you just got. I am only familiar with Blue Amber but not Sandflowers - what's it like?
    tdem1961 - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Missing Quarry round these parts I always think of her when I wear:

Marni by Marni

I figure out today what this reminds me of: White by Comme des Garcons
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th March 2014 at 12:56 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

(((Xscent))) -- I hope your night was a vast improvement over your day The only thing in your description of that patchouli that gives me any pause at all is the bitter chocolate. I tend not to do well with chocolate or cocoa in fragrance -- the lone exception is Mazzolari Lei, which is so wonderfully cozy and comforting, as Kiliwia has discovered But I'm willing to try anything once -- I'll track some down!

Very Happy Anniversary wishes to the tdems. Terry, seriously, have you aged at all??? Just lovely

I have a slight headache this morning that I'm hoping to kick ASAP. Sigh.

In the meantime, I'm wearing Micallef Gaiac again. It's wonderful and it doesn't seem to be exacerbating my headache, which unfortunately seems to be growing stronger even as I'm typing this. Crud.

Lanvin For Men

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Good morning!

Happy anniversary, Tdem! I absolutely love seeing couples who have been together for many years and are still excited about their anniversary. How sweet and romantic that you are wearing your hubby's favorite, which has such an appropriate name!

easyfish, the model in that ad is SO gorgeous. Do you know who she is? I googled "model in Balmain de Balmain ad" and among the search results was the news that Rihanna is modeling for Balmain Spring 2014 so naturally I looked at the photos...yeesh!

cello, Therese grew on me over several samplings. I have been thinking of ordering a bit. For me the slightly off-kilter overripeness of the fruit keeps it from being too pretty. Then again, I think my first sampling of it was worn to a very hot and sweaty dance hall, so I will probably always associate it with the free-spirited funkiness & flirting of a contra dance.

In Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

ExtremeK, I hope your headache is a souvenir from outrageous birthday celebrating....

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mme Tdem!

Trying another 4160 Tuesdays. Today wearing Says Alice. This one is perhaps a wee bit too rosey for me, so far. Will see how it progresses.

Tdem, how very sweet, and your wedding pic is precious! Congrats!

My wee decant of Sarrasins has arrived and it's the sotd. That's a big jasmine! Then, more florals come in and I can't figure them all out..maybe Sweet Pea? Honeysuckle? And I get honey too, a floral, animalic honey. I dig the purple juice..even if it's just food coloring or whatever he used to get it that way, lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    (((Xscent))) -- I hope your night was a vast improvement over your day The only thing in your description of that patchouli that gives me any pause at all is the bitter chocolate. I tend not to do well with chocolate or cocoa in fragrance -- the lone exception is Mazzolari Lei, which is so wonderfully cozy and comforting, as Kiliwia has discovered But I'm willing to try anything once -- I'll track some down!

Very Happy Anniversary wishes to the tdems. Terry, seriously, have you aged at all??? Just lovely

I have a slight headache this morning that I'm hoping to kick ASAP. Sigh.

In the meantime, I'm wearing Micallef Gaiac again. It's wonderful and it doesn't seem to be exacerbating my headache, which unfortunately seems to be growing stronger even as I'm typing this. Crud.
    ((ExtremeK)) down some meds and wrap your head honey. I have a feeling I know where this headache will morph into if you don't take action quickly. As for the Jalaine, the chocolate is not at all pronounced, there's just a touch and it's a cosy chocolate. The amber and earthy vanilla (more vanilla bean) are more prominent and combined give off that slightly powdery almond note. There's no sharpness, nothing jarring it's soft, smooth, luxurious tendrils of enticing scent. The fragrance cocoon hoovers just a few inches off the skin. It's one where someone would have to lean in close to smell and I suspect they would likely want to stay close after. To me it's cosy, the image that comes to mind is drinking hot chocolate and snuggling with someone under a cashmere blanket in a room lit only by flames from a fireplace. I went about improving my night with an affogato and half dozen Baci chocolates. Nothing gets me down for long, there's too much good living (and eating) to do.

Mike nice view, in that particular shot he looks like one of my ex's, just needs slightly longer hair.

Jon Congratulations on the Montales.

Sampled one I like, Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris, now why do I have to like such pricey scents?. Out of my reach atm, darn it.

(((Extremek)))
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Tdem!!!
    Jil Sander Feeling Man

Happy Anniversary tdem!

Wearing Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Am enjoying Jour de Fête in its old version (left wrist) and sample of new version (right wrist.) I decanted both to sample atomizers so as to apply the same amount, the better to test them.

Spraying the sample on produced such a different result from dabbing, as I did the last time I tested it. Applied this way, they are very close. I'm even finding myself wondering whether the samples are of the new version at all. When I received the samples from Parfum1, the full bottles were still only available on pre-order-- so the question is, what did they decant the samples from? Did they get an advance bottle or two to make samples from? Or are the samples just old stock?

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing POTL Luctor et Emergo today. I'm loving the cherry tobacco + incense vibe. Yesterday was a rough 15 hour day at work, today is my day off and my mom is coming by to watch the KU basketball game. So many reasons for me to wear this perfume today which means "I struggle and emerge." I just hope there is way more emerging and not very much struggle in the Jayhawk game ... rock chalk!

Sending belated birthday wishes to ExtremeK and happy anniversary wishes to the the tdems!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Cuir Mauresque.

Blog Entries

Alien Essence Absolue.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

queen of the universe

tdem, what a gorgeous bride—then and now. Happy anniv to you and the hub.

Balahé by Leonard is SOTD, dirty/clean mentholated/ rubbery/cumin-laced tuberose. Yeah.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Hmm, this thread is easy on the eyes.

Chanel No. 19 today. Applied lightly this time.

Mike you have given me the idea to sample Marni and CdG White together. In my memory, Marni felt much easier to wear whereas White was more challenging. I would never have put them together like that. I'm a little jazzed to compare them now.

Hey y'all -

I'm in Syl's wonderful vintage Tabac Blonde parfum for the rest of the day ...and yes, I *do* recall saying that I would be passing this very special beauty along to my mother, but since I've failed to do so thus far I figured I might as well enjoy it, in the meantime.

Thanks mike - The concert was indeed everything I'd hoped for and more, and of course Mercer was amazing, as always. I've known for a while now that you have the most *excellent* musical tastes. You apparently do too, Erin, and thanks - I did indeed get my dance on, hehe.

Here's a hug for you, ((kalli)) - you should know why.

Basenotes Institution

ExtremeK - hows the headache?
    ErinK - did you notice that Rihanna is on the cover of Vogue also? I saw it when I was checking out at the grocery store. Surprised me
    Robin-in-Fl - I love the name of those fragrances from that line. I knew nothing about them at all until I read your posts this week
    kalli - I smell osmanthus in Sarassins, but I'm not certain if that is a note. I still prefer A La Nuit over that one, myself
    Xscent - your ex looked like Ben Cohen? No sh*t...really!? Wow.
    30 Roses - I could totally see them making that mistake with the decants. You would think that it'd been slightly reformulated - right?
    shadesofbleu - Yes hope your evening is 'emerging' and not 'struggling' lol. Coincidentally I just used up my sample of that stuff two days ago - which one do you own, the EdP or the Parfum? I really like the Parfum.
    jujy54 - I love your description of Balahe, I've never sampled it. Intrigued.
    I am missing FrouFrou - where is she?

Day #4 of juicing is actually not so bad at all. I had knee pain today (I put heat on it last night, at the advice of a friend, not ice) and I thought it would feel better today, but it was really throbbing, so I had to take something for the pain. I was sort of afraid to since my stomach is so empty, so I just took 1 Motrin. It helped a lot, but the pain is starting to come back now. Grrr.

Book Club got cancelled tonight, so I'm planning on watching the last of my Mad Men Season 6 episodes. Every show this season has been a real delight to watch. I will repeat what I've said for years, I think that Mad Men is the best show on television.

Haven't worn this decant in a while:

Dzonghka by L'Artisan Parfumeur

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, hope that knee gets better asap! Osmanthus is a note I am not too familiar with. A La Nuit..I may have to sniff that one again. Have you sniffed Chene? That would be a nice bell jar to have for sure..there was a BNer who had one for sale recently that was used for a hundred bucks and I think it sold rather quickly..haha, oh well, didn't have the dough for it anyway. I don't own a full bottle of Lutens, they are so pricey and I really haven't loved one enough to get a full bottle of, except perhaps the Chene of course but I would be happy with a decant as it's so concentrated, I know it would last a good while. The Chene would be for my husband, who wears it very well. I haven't sniffed Chergui yet but do have a sample on the way! I hope I like it, the notes sound so promising!

And darn it Evangeline, that's it, going to order a sample of De Profundis...it's been on the test list for far too long! (((hugs back))).
    Last edited by kalli; 13th March 2014 at 10:39 PM.

I'm spending the evening in Le Parfum de Therese...cello made me do it.

Mike, I have seasons 1-3 of Mad Men on DVD but have only watched the first and a bit of the second. It was so dark and I hated pretty much all of the characters (especially Peggy, well, all of them really, except Betty and the hot Jewish woman who owns the dept store). My favorite thing about it was the January Jones eye candy. You're making me think I should give it another try.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

summer means fireflys

Mike, I'm not sure but I think my Luctor et Emergo is EDP. I have a decant, not a full bottle ... pity. I love the stuff! I hope your knee gets better ... mine is still acting up too. Plus my hands are really swollen and sore the last few days.

kalli, I also adore Chene! I have a decant of that too, never did pick up a bottle when it was in the export line for a while. I should have. I love Chergui and it was my first and only bell jar. A co-worker was traveling to Paris and offered to pick up something for me. That was before Chergui was added to the export list. I really hope you like, it is so unusual. I really like almost the whole line ... seems to work so well on my skin. Wish I could have them all! Have you tried SL Nuit de Cellophane? Not one of the more popular scents in the line, but a great jasmine + osmanthus fragrance!

oh and the Jayhawks won today ... I'm a happy girl for now!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 14th March 2014 at 12:56 AM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Hello everyone Just poppong bu before I go to bed. First of all Happy birthday to Tigrushka and happy anniversary to Tdem today it started snowing again, but needed at least to feel like it's spring....So sotd was Diorissimo. Sote is Nu edp. I always forget how much I enjoy this scent.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling LesNez The Unicorn Spell tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille on a very cold day spent at the cinema. We saw 12 Years a Slave and Dallas Buyers Club. Both were excellent.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I haven't tried that one, Shades. Sounds interesting though! I do hope your knee and hands get better soon. Yay about the Jayhawks though! I was so disappointed with that carnation scent he put out not that long ago...Vitriol..I guess there have been restrictions on ingredients but still..didn't like it at all. Oh well.

Farnesiana by Caron