Code of Conduct

Default Wanted: Recommendations for Cedarwood Scents

My natural scent has been described as a "musky cedar" and frags that contain cedarwood and other woody notes smell the best on me. My current fave is Terre D'Hermes. I want to know some of your favorite cedarwood and woody fragrances.

Thanks

Sloan

Default Re: Wanted: Recommendations for Cedarwood Scents

Welcome to basenotes!

but yea, GPH is a favorite of mine. It is powerfully masculine. It smells woody, smoky and spicy. M7 is also another good one similiar to GPH but sweeter and more... smooth I guess. Don't know if that one has cedar though.

nearfantastica

I second Gucci PH... or Montale Greyland, for a sweeter rell rounded option.

a.

Tumulte. The finest cedar I've ever worn but only available overseas. Reasonablly priced at Strawberry.net. I ordered it and it was delivered at my office two days later.

Honorable mention: Visit. Widely available, much admired and department store priced.

palisander by comme des garcons.

I hear sequoia is also really great and don't doubt it, but palisander with its incense is a mite muskier I expect.

this one will hook you.

I love cedar and cannot get enough of it. I wear cedar oil instead of futzing around waiting for top notes to fade so it can be revealed.

The problem with the oils is that they fade rather quickly. I prefer Virginia cedar over Atlas, because the Atlas has a culinary quality that smells a bit like a ripe cheese when taken on its own (although I need to experiment with this further). Virginia I have found to take on a sweetness in the drydown, along with its typical cardboard-like aroma.

Feminite du Bois would, for me, be ideal for cedarwood (although of Atlas variety), but the humanoid musk detracts and detours this scent for me.

Palisander is a fantastic recommendation. Ultimately I found seeds of my loathed Chinatown in it and could not longer wear it, but it was superior to the damp and mulchy Sequoia as far as dry woods go. It was even a bit green and lacquered, hence reference to the Bond.

Tumulte PH and Feminité du Bois are both very nice cedar offerings, but let me be the first one to mention Diptyque's Tam Dao here. It could almost be the only cedar fragrance I need (well, I do need a bottle of the Shiseido FdB as well...).

Navegar by L'Artisan is a brilliant one. Like an old cedarwood treasure chest, very focused on the cedar, but still complex and evoking images, visions, fantasies of old-time seafaring. Not very long lasting but worth it nonetheless.

I was personally very disappointed by tumulte because it evinced no more than an extremely synthetic monotony to me. Not a "well-crafted" perfume IMHO

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer combines Rose, spices and cedar in quite a beatiful way. Worth a sampling for sure.

A personal favorite is cacharel pour homme, which really has nutmeg at the center, but dries down into a beautiful cedar/sandal/musk base. I think this would work perfectly on your skin and it's such a charmer for fall and winter.

May I also suggest you test Comptoir sud Pacifique's L'Eau du Gouverneur, even if it isn't cedary, but nutmeg-spice-tropics. Could be a winner on you as well.

Lats but not least, Bois du Portugal by Creed is a must try. Dry woods in perfection, cedar included. The best of the best.

n.b.: Serge Lutens Cedre unfortunately has not the slightest cedar note in it from what I smelled (& it's yucky)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Blog Entries

One of the best cedars ever is Arran Aromatics After The Rain - it doesn't get much greener, woodier, or more cedary then this!

Also checkout:

The Body Shop Japanese Musk - the vintage is best in this but it is a great, cedar dominated blend anyway. Starts out sharp, aldehydic and green with icy white florals and mellows into the smoothest, yet still fresh, creamy cedar base. Lasts for days.

Lancome Balafre - Strong, masculine wood

Diptyque Philosykos - fresh figs and cedar

Givenchy Xeryus Rouge - opens strong, spicy, fruity and very 80's but mellows into a longlasting creamy cedar base
    Guerlain Heritage - smooth as butter, masculine woods and pepper. Classic

Last edited by moondeva; 23rd November 2006 at 10:52 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    I was personally very disappointed by tumulte because it evinced no more than an extremely synthetic monotony to me. Not a "well-crafted" perfume IMHO
    Well actually, I sometimes share this view but on the other hand it is also a very easy to wear cedar, which I cannot say about Gucci PH for example...

Oh and I almost agree with your view on Serge Lutens' Cèdre. At least on the part where you say you can't find many cedar notes in it

Eau de Cedre by Heeley has Moroccan cedarwood (no idea what the difference is from regular cedarwood) listed as one of the notes. I wear this regularly and ... although it doesn't really strike me as a "wood" fragrance ... it's one of my personal faves and definitely worth sampling.

Lalique Lion
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Balafre by Lancôme
    Héritage by Guerlain
    Equus by Lalique (n.b.: eau de parfum OR eau de toilette version -- two different beasts, though!)
    Sequoia by Comme des Garçons (Very linear at first, but OH! the drydown!)
    Gucci pour Homme by Gucci
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 23rd November 2006 at 03:11 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Ginestet - LeBoise - Smeels like a red wine barrel. Oak and Cedar, with spices.
    Tumulte Pour Homme
    Jack Black Signature Black Mark - Saffron and Red cedar with some leather .
    Navegar - Beautiful. Why can't they make an extreme version of this one?