Code of Conduct
    akenep

Default Looking for scent for someone thats not into cologne

I need some expert help from this forum. I am looking for a scent for my brother who really is not into colognes, but likes to go out and meet people. So I am looking for something 1st of all that is not cloying and overpowering.

I would like to find him a barely noticable scent, something that would make someone get close to him to smell it, that isnt flowery or femmine. Is there anything that falls into this category? I was thinking of the just out of the shower type scent. I really dont know..I am lost...only thing I could think of of was Lanvin Homme.

(I already tried: Gendarme- he said it smelled to fake and synthetic. also tried TM Colonge: he told me it was to strong. Tried Geir: he told me to flowery.)

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Thrax

Default Re: Looking for scent for someone thats not into cologne

Bulgari Pour Homme. The obvious choice.

Rive Gauche pour homme, one spray of it is very subtle.

akenep

Please dont take this the wrong way but I tried Rive Gauche and found it very cloying and offensive. But thanks for the help

If hes not so into scents then he will probably want a) something fairly popular he can relate to b) something 'safe' and c) something that looks cool because looks sell a lot of people.

My top choice for him would be Davidoff Echo or Polo blue/black. I know I know, boring choices but still good all the same. Good chance he will have heard of them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Lanvin L'Homme. Similar questions would emerge regularly and this seems to be a safe bet by many of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by machineo
    Rive Gauche pour homme, one spray of it is very subtle.
    Regarding the original question: 'barely noticable' the appropriate number of sprays is zero

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Bulgari Pour Homme. The obvious choice.
    Yeah, definitely the obvious choice. I like the new "Soir" version even a bit better because ... as someone stated in the SOTD posts ... it's got a bit of Armani Code mixed in. And it still stays very unobtrusive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My choice would be Clinique Happy. It's very subtle and citrusy.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Not one of my favorites but may I suggest
    Baldessarini
    ?

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

L'Artisan Navegar

Bath and Body Works has this new line called Aquatanica, a couple of months ago I tried a spray there called Marine Tonic Body Mist something - it's a hydrating tonic that smells like you just came out of the ocean, seriously. It stays very close to skin and is only detectable when you get skin-close to the person and after a couple of hours you just simply smell like you just came out of the shower, it's not even a soapy smell, just like clean soft water. I wear it on my anti-perfume days and to bed for calming & relaxation and at $20 for a 3.4 oz it's a bargain IMO.
    There's also the Cerruti Image spray deodorant which is basically scented water, it works like a deo/fragrance for the first 15 minutes and after that just leaves a trace of a scent that's hardly noticeable unless you get up and close.

I think your brother needs perfume byproducts, not necessarily a cologne or parfum - maybe body spray, light deodorant, scented lotion or water, possibly even simply a body wash. I like the Chanel Allure refreshing body gel for men - it's a rubbing gel with cooling effect that has a hint of the Allure scent and yet has a pretty decent longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Seasons Greetings

I've recently really grown fond of Davidoff Echo as a great scent for those days when I don't want to wear something more noticeable and distinct.

It's very nice, plain, fresh, and it has a very cool synthetic element to it. Also, it has much better longevity than most other fresh scents.

Inexpensive too, worth a try for sure. I have a 10 ml decant of it I've been working on for a while and I'm thinking I just might grab a bottle of it soon.

Other than that I would think that the best bet for someone not into cologne really would just be anything that is rather fresh, not too powerful, and doesn't have any really distinct notes. Definitely check out Echo though.

Mark Birley. it could lead to his becoming interested in cologne though. but unique, subtle, maximum compliment getter. . . babe magnet (male and female)

Post Thanks / Like

Well i would suggest Polo Blue

Very subtle,refreshing and stays close to the skin

gupts

Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto PH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akenep

(I already tried: Gendarme- he said it smelled to fake and synthetic. )

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
    He may not be interested in frags but he sure hit the nail on the head on that one. Since I once proclaimed that Rodier pour homme is my gendarme, because I hate Gendarme for the very same reaons while Rodier is a "natural" version of this kind of scent I would say - Rodier pour homme if you have any way of finding that in the US.

Second choice would be Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto - extremely light&subtle, though it is slightly floral. There's also "Subtil" by Ferragamo which I don't know, but the name says it all I guess.

I would also second Clinique Happy

Good luck; this is like buying chocolate for someone who doesn't really like cocoa.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Dzing!

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Dzing!
    For some reason I thought that you might suggest Odeur 53.

Post Thanks / Like

mugler colgne or original vetiver are super soapy shower scents.

Go to hell about the gendarme! Synthetic my ass! Simple? Yes. Light? Yes. Inoffensive? Yes. Maybe even boring to some...hell politicians wear it! But synthetic? I don't make the connection. You want to smell synthetic, smell Desire Blue. That stuff is like liquid plastic. (but it still smells good somehow?!?!)

Ok, you don't have to go to hell...to each his own I know. I can't send anyone to hell on thanksgiving!

Tell him he's going to like gendarme whether he likes it or not!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 24th November 2006 at 01:28 AM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I saw a commercial last night about bath and body works giving away free fragrances, probably with a purchace. I can't remember any of the details though.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom
    Bath and Body Works has this new line called Aquatanica, a couple of months ago I tried a spray there called Marine Tonic Body Mist something - it's a hydrating tonic that smells like you just came out of the ocean, seriously. It stays very close to skin and is only detectable when you get skin-close to the person and after a couple of hours you just simply smell like you just came out of the shower, it's not even a soapy smell, just like clean soft water. I wear it on my anti-perfume days and to bed for calming & relaxation and at $20 for a 3.4 oz it's a bargain IMO.
    There's also the Cerruti Image spray deodorant which is basically scented water, it works like a deo/fragrance for the first 15 minutes and after that just leaves a trace of a scent that's hardly noticeable unless you get up and close.

I think your brother needs perfume byproducts, not necessarily a cologne or parfum - maybe body spray, light deodorant, scented lotion or water, possibly even simply a body wash. I like the Chanel Allure refreshing body gel for men - it's a rubbing gel with cooling effect that has a hint of the Allure scent and yet has a pretty decent longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Aqua di Gio

*ducks*

Ferre Bergamotto Marino. You'll like it believe me

Post Thanks / Like

l'antimatiere
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Post Thanks / Like

Green Water by Jacques Fath
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Possibly Bulgari's Au The Blanc or Vert?

Bulgari is a great idea, Thrax!

Also, have you considered Guerlain's Vetiver, or some other clean, crisp vetiver? (Puig's is excellent, as is Carlo Corinto's.)

If all else fails, there's always good old Eau Sauvage.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    For some reason I thought that you might suggest Odeur 53.
    Actually didn't want to suggest that one since Gendarme smelled too synthetic according to him. If Odeur 53 smells of one thing, it is "syntheticism"

Dzing! was no joke. It could very well be that fragrance that could turn a fragrance-hater into a lover. Very different to everything else out there (well, not to us but to someone who hasn't smelled much) but could still be an easy fragrance to fall in love with. And quite soft and mellow too. L'Artisan would be a good brand to try anyway...
    Last edited by shifts; 24th November 2006 at 07:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    mugler colgne or original vetiver are super soapy shower scents.

Go to hell about the gendarme! Synthetic my ass! Simple? Yes. Light? Yes. Inoffensive? Yes. Maybe even boring to some...hell politicians wear it! But synthetic? I don't make the connection. You want to smell synthetic, smell Desire Blue. That stuff is like liquid plastic. (but it still smells good somehow?!?!)

Ok, you don't have to go to hell...to each his own I know. I can't send anyone to hell on thanksgiving!

Tell him he's going to like gendarme whether he likes it or not!
    LOL! I raised a eyebrow as well.

You say your friend isn't into cologne, but he wants to go out and meet people. By this, do you mean go to clubs/bars to meet women? Or go to the gym to find buds to hang with?

I'm very fond of Bulgari pour Homme, particularly the Extreme for it's stronger citrus/grapefruit note. Your friend may like the original best. Many of these others I haven't tried, but any one would probably be a very good start, and so much better than nothing.