Code of Conduct

Default Which nasty stinker to buy?

Hi guys,

To celebrate my 1000th post, I'm going to buy myself -could it be anything else- a fragrance

It has to be something vile and animalistic... even dirty. And since I don't own any leather-based scents, I was thinking that's the way to go. This is also a category in which it's not that hard to find something stinky (in a good way).

I'm fascinated with Kölnisch Juchten but this looks just a bit too hard to get my hands on.

Stinkers/leathers that I have (or have tried) are:

Knize Ten, Royal Enlish Leather, Vetiver (Annick Goutal), Muscs Koublaď Khan, Kouros, Cuir Venenum and a few more which I can't remember.

Suggestions anyone?

Default Re: Which nasty stinker to buy?

Congratulations to the hardcore addict!

Cuir Mauresque
    . It gets hardly mentioned. But when I read Robyoghis review (thank you RY) I want to immediately go and buy it!
    Montale Cuir d'Arabie . Many called it a stinker and meant it. CdA does not make a fuss, it just is around for wear and tear (astounding eight hours at minimum on my skin, longer on clothes). It has a slightly harsher oudh than the floral ones, so the start (just the start) may be irritating for some. The only bad thing about it: the bottle is still missing on my shelf!
    If you want to share a leather with the ladies: Tabac Blond. On my death bed I may finally decide: this is perhaps not the ultimate leather perfume, but the only one you will miss in heaven!
    Last edited by narcus; 24th November 2006 at 11:18 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

CB Musk.

Dirtiest of the dirty. Skankiest of the skank.

That's all I have to say.

Helmut Lang Cuiron comes to mind.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Bijan for men - not quite nasty, but a stinker for sure!

Overcome By Fumes

If you dare to call Knize Ten a stinker, I'd have to say your definition of stinker must be quite broad...

The most potent leather to me would be Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne--the triple extract, if you can find it. This leather smells like they left the flesh on the hide before tanning it...

Aramis , This one still makes makes me dizzy.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    The most potent leather to me would be Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne--the triple extract, if you can find it. This leather smells like they left the flesh on the hide before tanning it...
    Oh. My. Gosh! I totally agree with this description!!!

Oddly thought, my chemistry transforms this long rotting hide and flesh into pure liniment ointment on my skin. Things are bad enough without having people continually looking sympathetic, sharing their war stories about horrendous muscle strains, and recommending Chiropractors just because of my SOTD...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

If you dare to call Knize Ten a stinker, I'd have to say your definition of stinker must be quite broad...

Nonono, I'm not calling Knize Ten a stinker, just one of the leather and/or stinkers I have tested. This one just falls into the leather-category.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Montale Cuir d'Arabie . Many called it a stinker and meant it. CdA does not make a fuss, it just is around for wear and tear (astounding eight hours at minimum on my skin, longer on clothes). It has a slightly harsher oudh than the floral ones, so the start (just the start) may be irritating for some. The only bad thing about it: the bottle is still missing on my shelf!
    If you want to share a leather with the ladies: Tabac Blond. On my death bed I may finally decide: this is perhaps not the ultimate leather perfume, but the only one you will miss in heaven!
    I have sampled some other Montales but not this one. I'll see if I can get a sample somewhere, because I love many of their other offerings.
    I have a small bottle of Tabac Blond and I agree that it's fabulous, but just a little but too feminine (=not musky enough).

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Oh. My. Gosh! I totally agree with this description!!!

Oddly thought, my chemistry transforms this long rotting hide and flesh into pure liniment ointment on my skin. Things are bad enough without having people continually looking sympathetic, sharing their war stories about horrendous muscle strains, and recommending Chiropractors just because of my SOTD...

I háve to try this one

Probably tame by comparison to Peau de Flesh, though certainly much more "tar" than Cuiron: Lone Star Memories. Texas Leather rather than Russian supposedly, but I actually couldn't help but think of the engine room of the battle cruiser Potemkin. Not necessarily a bad thing...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

Cumming by Alan Cumming

Make it Kouros or Cuiron, with the former far "dirtier" than the latter. (Yes, that would be due to the much discussed famous "androgen-riddled golden shower" note . . .)

Cuir Mauresque is a good choice, too, yes, but is not, IMHO, a good choice for a blind buy. Furthermore, a bottle of Kouros won't break the bank, esp. if you go for a tester.

By the way, you should avoid Cuiron altogether if you think that even the slightest whiff of citrus will put you off in a "dirty" scent.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Great idea to have a stinker search.

Incedal's Aramis suggestion is a good one. I might look to smell Dzing! again if you haven't already, and another worthy might be Creed's Cuir de Russie.

Don't forget tobaccos for a stinker. Puig's Quorum is really fantastic and many members here think it is a stinker. Also MPG's Route du Vetiver for a vetiver stinker, and MPG's Parfum d'Habit for a whats-it stinker.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by incedal
    Aramis , This one still makes makes me dizzy.
    I was thinking Aramis as well. Doesn't make me dizzy though.

Givenchy Gentleman, JHL, Lauder for Men or Trussardi Uomo are also good stinkers. I'm wearing Lauder for Men today.
    Last edited by MisterK; 24th November 2006 at 06:22 PM.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

L'artisan Passage D'enfer.

A lot of people (in reading the reviews) get something somewhat soft and lily-like, but I just get tons of incense-spices. Mixed in with that is also something dirtier and oily... like cooking spicy sausage for breakfast. To my nose, it's like Yatagan's rich, hedonistic dandy cousin. I don't get anything leather in there, but if you want an interesting, vile, dirty stinker, this is it (and I mean that in the best possible way as a fragrance I love ((I'm wearing it now!))

Another one in the same vein of earthy, body-like dirty scents would be Timbuktu.

For something a little less expensive but still odd and vile (in a good way), Versace Black Jeans. I get patchouli and tar (definitely like fashionable road paving).

I DON'T recommend Knize Ten. Though it is leather, I think it is so Uber-classy that it is hard to qualify as being "vile." I know what you mean by the term, something dark, dirty, and unconventional. Knize reminds me of what a rich Austrian would wear to the Opera, not what his mistress would smell like after a romp in the back of a carraige.
    John
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 24th November 2006 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Make it Kouros or Cuiron, with the former far "dirtier" than the latter. (Yes, that would be due to the much discussed famous "androgen-riddled golden shower" note . . .)

Cuir Mauresque is a good choice, too, yes, but is not, IMHO, a good choice for a blind buy. Furthermore, a bottle of Kouros won't break the bank, esp. if you go for a tester.

By the way, you should avoid Cuiron altogether if you think that even the slightest whiff of citrus will put you off in a "dirty" scent.
    Kouros is good (or bad, it's how you look at it) but I already own it

A subtle citrus note would be OK if they restrict it to the topnotes but Cuiron seems a bit too clean for my nose, or at least for this specific situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Great idea to have a stinker search.

Incedal's Aramis suggestion is a good one. I might look to smell Dzing! again if you haven't already, and another worthy might be Creed's Cuir de Russie.

Don't forget tobaccos for a stinker. Puig's Quorum is really fantastic and many members here think it is a stinker. Also MPG's Route du Vetiver for a vetiver stinker, and MPG's Parfum d'Habit for a whats-it stinker.
    --Chris
    Cuir de Russie has always intrigued me but unfortunately I'm not willing to buy an 8.4oz bottle blind. There seems to be noone who sells a decant or sample of this

I've smelled Quorum and it's good but a little bit too 80's which automatically gives it an edge on the stinky-scale and therefore makes it too easy and evident

Route du Vetiver is divine... but I already own it

Keep them coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY
    Cumming by Alan Cumming
    I have to second Cumming by Alan Cumming. It really is amazing stuff, one of my most favorite fragrances. Just check out the fragrance notes:

Top Notes
    * Bergamot, Black pepper, Scotch Pine, Whiskey,

Middle Notes
    * Cigar, Heather, Douglas Fir,

Base Notes
    * Leather, Highland Mud, Peat Fire & White Truffle,

Very earthy and primal and it does have leather notes in it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    [...] not what his mistress would smell like after a romp in the back of a carraige.
    John
    That would be Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir (the female Kouros) which, true to its name, has a distinct ' French hooker's old bed linen' accord. I have read that this is very close to what VW was aiming for...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    That would be Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir (the female Kouros) which, true to its name, has a distinct ' French hooker's old bed linen' accord. I have read that this is very close to what VW was aiming for...
    I can imagine that Vivienne Westwood would produce such a scent. She is definitely an original; I saw a picture of her from a few months ago where she was at some public event with her flaming red hair and small (probably 1 inch or so) silver horns attached at her temples. I've had Anglomania, but I've never smelled boudoir. I'll have to find a sample of it sometime (although, more as a curiosity than because I want to smell like dirty bed linens).

John

How about the following?

Montale Cuir D'Arabie (dirty socks)

MPG Jardin Du Nil (more dirty socks)

Bulgari Aqua (soiled diapers) - this one is more bearable
    -

SMN Nostalgia starts off as a stinker but smoothens out over time.

Vintage Tabarome also can't be overlooked as a tobacco stinker.

Kouros is a lovely stinker, which I do adore. How about Dzing! ?

Hi Apekrul!

I can't imagine myself without Bandit. It's a little obsession if it works on your skin.

Acqua di Cuba is what my wife calls NASTY. She cannot stand it. I was decanting some for a BN'er just the other day and got just a little on my finger from the decanting. 2 Hours later she got home and was acting like she was going to vomit, just from a drop on my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Acqua di Cuba is what my wife calls NASTY. She cannot stand it. I was decanting some for a BN'er just the other day and got just a little on my finger from the decanting. 2 Hours later she got home and was acting like she was going to vomit, just from a drop on my fingers.
    LOL! Incredibly, you must be married to MY wife's long lost twin sister. Only that it was Musc Ravageur in her case. It sure turned her on, just entirely the wrong way
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

If you dare to call Knize Ten a stinker, I'd have to say your definition of stinker must be quite broad...The most potent leather to me would be Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne--the triple extract, if you can find it. This leather smells like they left the flesh on the hide before tanning it...
    Triple extract you say? I have Pd'E down 'to get', but didn't realize there are different versions of it. My nose loves challenges, and I am it's slave entertaining that strange desire. So, seriously, what will I miss, if I do not get the hardcore version? Do you think SMN boutiques outside Firenze will have various current issues, or has that special extract been discontinued for a while?
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I second CB Musk as being a real stink bomb. I have'nt figured out what to do with this filthy bilge! Maybe I can try layering it with something to make it work. Also, I have received some samples from Black Pheonix Alchem. Lab. All of which....stink, but their "Satyr" scent is UH-g-l-y!!!! The "Terpsichore" scent is a very sweet, cloying, bright yellow liquid that smells "yellow" and squishy (think marshmellow Peeps and daffodils). "Umbra" is'nt too bad. It smells dark, dirty, earthy and leathery with a little B.O. Must be the vetiver and patchouli in it that gives it that earthiness. Who knows what gives it the B.O. note.

Anyway...

I wore Kouros today. I've taken quite a fancy to this stinker, especially now that it's cold outside.

S
    Last edited by stevolution; 25th November 2006 at 06:01 AM.

Dolce & Gabbana By Man

Jacques Bogart Furyo

Without a doubt.

Lapidus pour homme. Also D&G By Man as suggested (I love it!)

Don't think they've got leather though...

PS by Paul Sebastian. This one is generally thought of as a rude intruder, but I think it smells great!!

Stinky= Paco Rabanne's La' Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    Kouros is a lovely stinker, which I do adore. How about Dzing! ?
    Kouros ís indeed great, that's why I already own it and the same goes for Dzing!

Quote Originally Posted by iggy
    Hi Apekrul!

I can't imagine myself without Bandit. It's a little obsession if it works on your skin.
    I was actually planning to go out and test this in the afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by acehimself
    Dolce & Gabbana By Man
    I detect no stinkyness in this one

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973
    Lapidus pour homme.
    This one smells too synthetic for me but it sure is a stinker though

Quote Originally Posted by nattygold
    Stinky= Paco Rabanne's La' Nuit
    Good suggestion, have it and love it

Keep 'm coming