Code of Conduct

Default Help me avoid a possible fake-New York-Parfumes de Nicolai

I want to get two bottles and at the best price of course.

Ebay seller offering

Looks legit right..................?

Internet site offering

See the reason for my concern? Is that ebay offering just an older package/bottle style or is it something else?

I trust LS but I d/k the ebay seller .

Please help me not make a $60 mistake.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Default Re: Help me avoid a possible fake-New York-Parfumes de Nicolai

I'm pretty sure the eBay bottle is the old packaging. I can't guarantee it, but I think Nicolaï have that design still on their site - I'm going to check.

So it's not quite that design, but pretty similar...
    Have a lootk at http://www.pnicolai.com

This is somewhat off topic, so my apologies, but have you seen elsewhere or do you think they'd make a fake of Parfum Nicolai?

I'm only asking because I know of the proliferation of fakes and have seen ones for famous scents, especially Creed. But, I had THOUGHT that one would be a little safer buying on ebay with lesser known brands (and, certainly Parfums Nicolai is one of these). With fake handbags, for example, generally the makers of fakes go with brands that everybody knows (Gucci, LV, etc.) because that is where they can make their money. Going with a niche house that isn't well known (Valextra, for example) doesn't make too much sense because so few have heard of it and so few would buy it anyway.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that this is the case here, because I'd be really sad to hear that they are even faking small niche houses. I've managed to score, from time to time, L'artisan on ebay and it has always been authentic. But, I barely even questioned the seller at the time (unlike when buying Creed) because I didn't think they'd bother making fake L'artisan. Now, though, I wonder...

John
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 24th November 2006 at 02:32 PM.

Dependent

it's not easy maintaining a 99.6 average on ebay with over 300 transactions. that said the bottle on ebay has a more classical look than the slab bottle shown on the retailers link.

but

Look at this Luckyscents page:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/categ...=313&section=1

Looks like PARFUMS DE NICOLAI has lots of bottling ideas. That ebay bottle doesn't look to different from some of the bottles on the link above.

I'm pretty sure that's the older bottle as well, and like fredricktoo said, it's hard to get that high a rating with that many auctions under the seller's belt. I think this is a safe enough bet.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I am absolutely certain it is the 'old' design bottle that is sold on eBay. I have exactly the same bottle here with PdN's Vanilla Tonka, bought three years ago (and it still smells delicious).

Added: I bought my bottle in a shop, NOT on eBay, so that is why I am so certain it is 'the real stuff'
    Last edited by Riannon; 24th November 2006 at 02:55 PM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc

Going with a niche house that isn't well known (Valextra, for example) doesn't make too much sense because so few have heard of it and so few would buy it anyway.
    John
    Valextra, oh my! what a beauty their bags are, definitely not for children...

Basenotes Plus

I have had both bottles. They are both legit.

Thanks to all of you for the up-to-date info and comments.

Just placed my order for two of the bottles from that ebay seller. I was a little concerned because he had a rating of 98.6% and a 99+% is usually considered best but y'all put my mind at ease.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

The eBay link has the old style bottle that I have and love! Tis genuine