Code of Conduct

Default Looking for scents with Pine/Fir as major note

Maybe it is Christmas coming or maybe my nose is taking me in this direction for some reason, but I am really liking scents which use Pine and/or Fir as a major player. I have AOS Sandalwood, Fou d'Absinthe, Bulgari Extreme. Can you suggest other scents for me to try that fall in this category? The only scent I am averse to with Pine is Polo Green. It reminds me of the guys locker room from days gone by; it was used by everyone and they sprayed way too much..
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 25th November 2006 at 06:53 PM.

Default Re: Looking for scents with Pine/Fir as major note

You can't beat Pino Silvestre, esp. for the price. Don't forget Green Jeans by Versace, either.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Although it has (on me anyway) poor sillage and longevity, I would definitely say Creed's Epicea is about the most pine/fir scent I've sampled.

And if you're so inclined to purchase it, Creedirect on ebay HERE has a fantastic price on a tester.
    Last edited by ziffy321; 25th November 2006 at 05:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pino Silvestre

Paul Smith London has a minty pine drydown.

Is Pino Silvestre dated smelling or could it pass for a today scent? I see it is over 50 years old. Kind of scares me a bit. I have not had much luck with scents from the past. But for 10.99 at imaginationperfumery.com, hell, I will spend that much at Taco Bell later tonight.

Try Blenheim Bouquet for an authoritative take on pine, it is unapologetically masculine.

Post Thanks / Like

Caron - Yatagan (though maybe only if you are in a 1970's locker-room - with Burt Reynolds)!
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Well the locker room thing is fine, and maybe even Yatagan, but hell no, not Burt Reynolds!
    I have tried Paul Smith London, and Creed Epicea. Epicea was dated smelling to me, but my nose is not very sophisticated at this point I will admit.
    I am curious about Pino Silvestre.

CDG Zagorsk had some pine in it, I only got it briefly it seems. I want to smell like a Christmas tree, with maybe a little spice thrown in. Thanks for all the input so far guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Duc de Vervins
    It's discontinued, but still available on some online discount sites.

JwS:

No, I would classify Pino Silvestre as timeless, not dated. Very crisp, very coniferous, very soapy. Lasts a long time, and is great for warm and cold weather alike.

For the price, you can always give away or swap a bottle if you don't like it. (I think you'll like it, though!) If you want to try Epicea, the eBay seller creedirect has bottles for $35 plus shipping right now, and also Ambre Canelle for the same price.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Give Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain a try. It's listed as a unisex scent in the directory. Has a nice combination of pine and holiday spice. I found a bottle pretty cheap on ebay.
    Last edited by Odorifera; 25th November 2006 at 08:27 PM.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

OK tvlampboy, you have convinced me on the Pino Silvestre. When you said soapy and pine, I started smiling. I will order this one.

I will go with one more since Pino Silvestre is so inexpensive.
    Maybe need to test some of the suggestions given so far.
    Appreciate all the input so far.

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

What about Polo? The one in the green bottle. That is TOTAL pine. I tried it a couple of weeks ago after not smelling it for years and was really blown away at how awesome the pine note was in it.
    Awesomeguy

Carlo Corinto original (pine)
    Rocabar (fir)
    Aubusson original (fir)
    Oscar for men (fir)
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt about it...Yatagan! Pine and patchouli and citrus. Fantastic scent.

Yatagan scares me a bit. But I have never sniffed it. I will do so on Monday and report back. I have read so many comments here on it and it seems like a love/hate sent. I am very appreciative of all the suggestions. You all have given me the info I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Borky
    Duc de Vervins
    Not exactly true, as it has been re-released a while back.

Being that the op is in the US, check out the Neiman Marcus website for the Houbigant creation.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Yatagan is a dark kind of pine. It's more incense when it dries, but it is NOT over-powering at all. I love this stuff! It reminds me of those balmy, late summer evenings when the air has a hint sweet bonfire smoke. The pine is deffinitely there and it's very "rustic", dry and macho, but not overly so.
    I really don't see where the fear comes from in regards to Yatagan.

S

Jalaine Rainforest. I loved it and left it.

Post Thanks / Like

Jock, Im in Memphis and check out my Blenheim if you want to try that.

Fou D'Absinthe by L'artisan.....the dry down smells like a pine forrest. PURE AND SIMPLE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    You can't beat Pino Silvestre, esp. for the price.
    Yes you can! As long as subtlety and refinement matters: Acqua di Selva trumps! Rather than adding my own ramblings I recommend scanning reviews, the most recent one says it best. AdS and Pino are contemporaries and inexpensive. They once were part of my wardrobe also. I killed Pino inadvertantly by using the shower gel excessively. I could go back to Acqua di Selva any time. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120044.html
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Don't forget Green Jeans by Versace, either.
    But don't forget the numerous warnings in the reviews quoted. tvlampboy, forgive! I am with you more often than not!
    Last edited by narcus; 26th November 2006 at 08:03 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    AdS and Pino are contemporaries and inexpensive.
    I have been interested in Aqua di Selva for a while now.

As you said Narcus, both are in the same price category and from the same era. I am a big Pino fan and Im quite sure I'd like AdS just as much.

Both are very well priced, so you cant really make a mistake getting either.

Aqua di Selva is truly awesome (though it has some longevity issues). It is the best soapy pine I ever sampled. It is nothing at all like pino silvestre, which I would never wear out of the house. PS evokes a "what is this $hit" reaction from many. ADS smells like it could be a new release, not dated at all. It's fresh and light and yet piney in a subtle way. I love it -- the fact that it can be had for $18 bucks in NYC's fragrance district doesn't hurt either. And I found that spraying on clothing solves the longevity issues, people will say wow, you smell great, and if you tell them its a new soap, rather than cologne, you'll be believed.

Post Thanks / Like

polo crest
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

WOW!! Blown away by all the suggestions and insight...thank you.

Boy, do I have some work to do:
    I will sample Yatagan, Blenheim Bouquet, and a couple of the others mentioned and report back.
    I was going to buy Pino Silvestre blind, but now I am torn. Aqua di Selva comments have me confused on which of these two to buy.

Pine/Fir seems to hold some emotional trigger for me, expecially this time of year. It takes me to the memories of holidays/winters past, and all the moments and family traditions that will always shape me. Since I lost my mom 4 years ago, these memories are even more intense since the holidays will never be the same again without her. She WAS the holidays for me, and scent (pine/fir) serves to take me back and allow me to visit again with her in my mind. Music, and scent are my instant time machines.

Barry

Don't be confused, the Pino is really bad, vile. I just put some on to confirm -- i bought it a while back just for the cool bottle (a pine cone sprayer). Has anyone actually worn this outside? The ADS is really nice in its own right, it could be a staple signature scent, never out of place. The pine is just one element in a light balanced mix -- if your looking to smell like a pine tree, the Pino might be better, but you would probably do even better with pine sol or a pine scented air freshner spray, I repeat, i can't see anyone wearing PS for anything but a novelty/joke, I can't see anyone receiving a genuine compliment on it.

Nobody mentioned Bowling Green yet?
    Inexpensive and quite nice pine note, actually.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Nobody mentioned Bowling Green yet?
    Inexpensive and quite nice pine note, actually.
    I was thinking that as well, and I'm glad someone mentioned Acqua di Selva.

Also consider Lacoste Original, but the pine is really subtle, as is the pine in Caron PuH.

How about Ungaro I or Tsar for something less refreshing and a little more brooding?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Duc de Vervins
    This has been re-released earlier this year and is available at Nordstroms, at least it was a couple of months ago.

Great scent!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Looking for scents with Pine/Fir as major note

Try Hugo by Hugo Boss.

OK, OK -- I have to admit that Acqua di Selva is better than Pino, yes. Still, I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is exponentially better. Furthermore, Pino has incredible lasting power, whereas AdS comes (and goes) faster than Hugh Grant with a Sunset Strip hooker.

And as for Green Jeans, well, it's very like Blue Jeans and Black Jeans in that you either love it (as I do), or you hate it. There seems to be no via media for this most coniferous of Versace's creations.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Update: I sampled Pino Silvestre, Yatagan, Aqua di Selva, and Bowling Green yesterday. I bought Bowling Green. Aqua di Selva was too fleeting, and Yatagan and Pino Silvestre were just...well...umm..not for me.

I plan on sampling Duc de Vervins as soon as I can. I saw it at SAKS last time is was in the store.

Thanks once again for all the input. You all have been a big help.

Jo Malone has come out with a Pine and Eucalyptus candle and living cologne for the holidays. Too bad it is not offered in a regular cologne because I have heard the Pine and Eucalyptus candle is amazing.

Barry

Spray ADS on your shirt and it will last all day, if not longer. I also think this is one that others can smell long after you can't smell it on yourself.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Duc de Vervins
    The Directory says it's "in production," and I see it at Neiman's all the time. There was a limited edition out for a while, and maybe they're closing that one down...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

The most pure scent of pine that I ever came across was Arden's Sandalwood actually

Has anyone ever tried Agraria - Balsam? What's it like?

Did a careful test of ADS today. It lasted all day, and even 14 hours later could be reactivated by body heat or by rubbing wrists together. I also noticed that it has a drydown very reminiscent of Irish spring soap. I really am starting to like this one again, could be a new fav.

Rec. swiped from another board ... CB I Hate Perfume makes "Fir Tree." I have not sampled but it is supposedly pure winter pine.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

If you dont mind smelling a bit "manly", you should try Esencia Loewe. Very pine and a bit smokey.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120587.html

Baldessarini, smooth pine, but has some longevity problems with the EdC.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

HOLY COW! I went back today and tested Yatagan at a local store. On Monday, I just spritzed it quickly with about 5 other scents and was not impressed. DustB got me curious to try this again today. So I gave it another chance. I am in love with this stuff!! Thanks to those of you who encouraged me to try Yatagan. What an about face for me. I bought it on the spot.
    This is very masculine stuff but has a feel for me that is very much the same as when I wear Helmut Lang - Cuiron. Oh well!
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th November 2006 at 07:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    ...Yatagan... I bought it on the spot.
    Congrats, well done!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    Thanks to those of you who encouraged me to try Yatagan. What an about face for me. I bought it on the spot.
    Right I'm definitely going to wear it for my trip to the races this weekend. I was going to go for something leathery - but Yatagan is the one for a tweedy, boozy Autumn afternoon losing lots of money in the great outdoors!

"The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.