Code of Conduct

Default Good Life by Davidoff

Hey guys, I saw Davidoff Goodlife at Marshall's 25 bucks for 4.2 oz. I'm tempted to get it blind. I looked at the reviews and they seem to be mixed, and the notes seem ok. Can I get some opnions and your impressions on this if you've smelled it before?
    Last edited by machineo; 26th November 2006 at 03:02 AM.

Default Re: Good Life by Davidoff

My opinion is that it's bland, synthetic and mediocre. I'd have to be paid to wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

its a perfectly serviceable green clean office frag. nothing special, IMO, but good for days you don't want to deplete your treasures.

Post Thanks / Like

My dad has it and it's very...plain.

As others have stated, it isn't a head turner.

I'd take Aqva over it any day.

Thrax

Oh I love this stuff!!! I so wish I had a bottle! It is so green and clean!! Figgy!!!!!!!!! Yumma dum dum!

Post Thanks / Like

i got a 2.5oz bottle for bout 20$...but i wouldnt buy another bottle for even 5 bucks...this frag is virtually non existent after an hour maybe...like most summer scents this has no sillage and poor longevity...even during that first hour i don't think it smells incredible or anything...Like badaim wrote above...its plain...

The only thing i like is is the cap on the bottle...i wouldnt miss it at all if i didn't have it.

gupts

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, also, a little while back I saw the 4.2 at TJ Maxx for $16.99, so that $25 may not be the best price out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    this has no sillage and poor longevity
    LOL, my Dad gets incredible sillage with three sprays...I can smell him from upstairs when he puts it on!!!!

Human chemistry at work *cue in twilight zone song*

I think this is a fairly safe blind purchase because I don't think you'll be blown away or severely disappointed. As others have mentioned, it is a clean green scent, and if I may add to that, I think it is young and versatile for most occasions. Even though the fig runs through all stages of the scent, it isn't overpowering and the overall scent develops nicely in its lifespan, which scores big on sillage and longevity on my skin. My brother wore this for years in both professional and social environments, and speaking with him he told me that he never received any negative remarks from it.

I'm with Thrax on this one. It's rich, green, fresh and full of character. The fig note usually bothers me in other frags, but not at all in this one. I get TONS of compliments whenever I wear this one, and it lasts ALL DAY on me. Great sillage, too.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'm not a huge "green" fragrance guy, but I quite like it, especially for the price I paid (less than $15 after my employee discount at TJ Maxx). It reminds me of eating a Key Lime Pie on a freshly-mowed (mown?) lawn. It's fairly complex, and lasts a good deal. Also pulls in a lot of complements.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Life easily lasts all day on me, and has plenty of strength.

I think it's pretty good, but it's easy to get sick of - I'd never wear it two days in a row (same probem I have with D&G Homme).

I can never understand how people can rant and rave and think up a hundred adjectives of praise for fig leaf scents - providing they are made by niche houses - even though most barely last four hours. But rarely have a word of praise for this scent which, in my opinion, offers far superior longevity and sillage to any of the niche offerings I've tested.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should be trying this
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom
    My opinion is that it's bland, synthetic and mediocre. I'd have to be paid to wear it.
    Totally agree...

I'm not that much a fan of it, but that's due to the genre this scent represents. Fresh like getting out of the shower and very green, I would probably like this if I was looking for a fresher fragrance. BUT half of the current male fragrances are in that category, so it probably faces stiff competition.

I agree with just about everything Renato has written above. I have the same experience of relatively intense attraction and repulsion both to Good Life and to D&G pour Homme. I wonder what that is! Do these two fragrances have anything else in common perhaps?

Also, regarding the niche fig scents I'm familiar with, I think these are not easily compared to Good Life. Fig notwithstanding I find the character and overall impression of Philosykos and Ichnusa similar to each other but starkly different from Good Life; I won't say "better" or "worse," but they don't produce in me that attraction/repulsion that Good Life and D&G do.

It has nice top notes but it dies too fast on me. I prefer Dune for Men.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Thank you all for the responses. I am still on the border with this one. Is there any other fragrance this one is similar to?

None I can think of right off the bat, although I'd place it -- albeit only peripherally -- in the same general family with Fath's Green Water.

Imagine if you will that Philosykos and Greenergy spent an evening of torrid passion. Throw in some vetiver, or something crisp but dry. Voila -- you have Good Life, or something damn close.

Good, good stuff, really. Just try it -- for the price, you can always swap out later, or give it to a friend should you not like it.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by machineo
    Thank you all for the responses. I am still on the border with this one. Is there any other fragrance this one is similar to?
    Good Life + Spicy notes= Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme

From memory, it's also similar to Marc Jacobs.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Great Fragrance! Definetely figgy, green, fresh! I like it very much, but have an opposite feeling about the harsh D&G...