Code of Conduct

Default Does anybody actually like Magnetism?

Seems Escada Magnetism is one of BN's most widely owned frags (due, no doubt, to its good reviews in the Directory and cheapness at TJ Maxx etc., a newbie's delight!), but I can't rememebr the last time I saw it in a SOTD thread. It's a swaplist staple: at any given moment I'd reckon there's 30 Basenoters trying to get rid of their bottle, but I've never seen a "PM sent on Magnetism." Is there anyone out there who wears it?

Default Re: Does anybody actually like Magnetism?

It was swapped successfully a while back . Smells nice, but very poor longevity on my skin.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thrax

Smells like grape cough syrup. I swapped my bottle rather quickly. The girl I was with at the time loved it. Maybe thats why we didnt last very long?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Smells like grape cough syrup. I swapped my bottle rather quickly. The girl I was with at the time loved it. Maybe thats why we didnt last very long?
    haha Thrax, I was actually predicting that you'd be Magnetism's defender, given your taste for unusual sweet stuff.
    Last edited by Joel_Cairo; 26th November 2006 at 03:46 AM. Reason: usual is not the same as unusual.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    haha Thrax, I was actually predicting that you'd be Magnetism's defender, given your taste for usual sweet stuff.
    I HATE grape flavored stuff. I love grapes though......

(I have to draw a line somewhere dont I?)

You are right on about the usualy sweet stuff though Anyone got any swap offers!?!?!
    Last edited by Thrax; 26th November 2006 at 03:47 AM.

Magnetism is horrible.
    Someone awhile back accurately likened it to the scent a 30-something year old guy would wear to a night club while unsuccessfully attempting to pick up much younger girls.

I dunno, I quite like it. Not the best stuff, but it wears really well on me.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Magnetism is horrible.
    Someone awhile back accurately likened it to the scent a 30-something year old guy would wear to a night club while unsuccessfully attempting to pick up much younger girls.
    Funny image

I actually quite like magentism
    Doesnt remind me of that at all lol
    I'd say thats more Acqua di Gio territory

I remember when it first came out - no one had it - I had to go to an Escade clothing store to get it. For some strange reason - I quickly sampled it and bought the big bottle and aftershave. From that day till now - I have never used it.

I know I owned and HATED the stuff but I cant quite remember why. From what I remember I just got a really strong feminine/perfumey blast that never evolved into anything more.
    Its weird because I can cope with sweet so maybe my bottle wasnt legit I will be trying again soon just to clarify

I like it.

I also like most tasty brands of cough syrup - I have difficulty understanding the negative connotation associated with them.

Magnetism doesn't smell like any of my cough syrups, however. I think it's a typical ambery fougere scent.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I like it.

I also like most tasty brands of cough syrup - I have difficulty understanding the negative connotation associated with them.
    I like it too ... (also the cough syrups)

In a recent thread about "What is your most complimented frag", this was one of my top compliment getters ... from both gals AND guys. Some of the women I work with tell me they look forward to the days when I wear this. The most notable comment is that it's a very "light, powdery, and fruity" scent. None have ever mentioned the "grape" or "cough syrup" connection.

As far as the longevity goes ...

I posted a while back about how poor the longevity was with Magnetism. But the weirdest thing happened along the way. It seemed the more I wore it, the better the longevity got. I don't know if it's just a phenomenon between my skin and this particular frag ... but to date, this is one of the best sillage and longest lasting frags in my wardrobe (on ME, that is). It was definitely worth sticking it out since I DID like the frag. I do get the "grape" part (not the cough syrup), but in a good way. What I consider "grape" in a bad way is Versace Man. That one I couldn't take.

It's one of me favorites(little 'pirate' slang there ) and I'm an ol' fart but I'm partial to the 'sweet' juices and man, is it SWEET !

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I like Magnetism, and girls like it on my skin.

I don't like it either. In fact, all around Escada's men's fragrances don't do much for me. The original Escada Pour Homme is okay, but feels VERY dated (my friend said it smelled like his Colombian Grandfather). Sentiment for men smelled odd, hot, sharp, and sour so badly that I ended up giving mine away. I definitely see the cough syrup note in Magnetism and luckily found an open bottle at TJ MAXX and so could smell it/try it before making the mistake of purchasing it.

Definitely not my worst blind-spray at the Maxx (that still goes to Salvador Dali Pour Homme, YIKES!!)... but still nothing for which I'd even want to bother spending $15.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 26th November 2006 at 01:16 PM.

I really like it but I don't wear it as my daytime SOTD that much because I have so many fragrances that I like more for my work environment...................my girlfriend loves it incredibly though and I often wear it when we go out at night just to get her reaction. It's one of those comforting scents that is smooth, sweet and soft that doesn't really scream anything at you...........I won't be trading it anytime soon either.

nearfantastica

I swapped to land a bottle of Magnetism... I love it..it's a playful fun scent and one that gets a lot of attention. There are quite a few frags that float around the board liberally... I don't see this one as any "worse" than many of the others.

a.

Several years later after purchase and I still love it. It has always been in my rotation, and I always get compliments from it. I have mentioned this before, but I pride myself on buying this before I ever discovered B-Notes or considered myself a frag junkie. I just went to a dept. store, smelled everything, and knew it was the one I wanted. What a segway it was! I have a soft place in my heart for it because I ended up looking for reviews online to see if I made a good decision, discovered B-Notes, and then ended up buying about 20 more frags in the next several months.

They say the rest was history. I'll always love it and recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    HA. Same here hated it. It was like I bathed in cough syrup. My friends thouhgt that I had a cold or something.

I also checked it out at TJ Maxx after readings good things. No open bottles, but I got into a gift set to test it. I noticed the grape cough syrup too. I don't know how I'd like a real grape scent, but it's the synthetic grape that's found in cough syrup and grape candy that I hate. And that was Magnetism.

Never really liked magnetism, i wore it about 4 times: in summer and in colder weather, and never really liked it, had to give the bottle away.

Thumbs up Re: Does anybody actually like Magnetism?

Hell yeah!

Beautiful drydown that reminds me of, in a general sense, some of the best musk/powder drydowns of classic women's perfumes of the past and their wonderful old world elegance and understated sensuality.

I also find interesting similarilties between the drydown of Magnetism for Men and Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Iris Poudre.

Michel Almairac the perfumer behind Magnestism for Men is a world class nose, the same one behind the creations of Voleur de Roses, Joop! Homme, Gucci Pour Homme, Rochas Lui, and Armani's Prive Bois d'Encens, to mention a few, and he also the mentor of one of my favorite perfumers Annick Menardo (the nose behind such notable works as Body Kouros, Bois d'Argent, Jaïpur Pour Homme, Bvlgari Black, Le Labo Patchouli 24, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, Xeryus Rouge to name a few). Not that this is supposed to make anyone like the fragrance. If one can't get over the slightly medicinal, concord grape opening, one can't get over it. I happen to like it, and I think the drydown is definitely worth the wait. This really is an interesting and unusual fragrance that is worth repeated attempts at rapprochement.

Not a fragrance for everyone, that's for sure, but an interesting one nevertheless. At least Almairac and Menardo don't churn out characterless, chlorotic clones of cash-crop confections in Kool-Aid colors.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

At least Almairac and Menardo don't churn out characterless, chlorotic clones of cash-crop confections in Kool-Aid colors.

scentemental

I agree that they don't churn out characterless, chlorotic clones regularly (Almairac-Menardo) , but this is a cash-crop confection (a best seller for escada there's no questioning that) in a Kool-Aid (-ish really..is it kiwi or lemon-lime flavor?) color: it's a rather dense green liquid (is it even fluorescent? ) that stains (ruined one white expensive dress shirt for me: i also like to spray on clothing) , so people, don't be fooled by the purple "aura".!
    Regardless of who made it, or what their hits were, i was less than impressed. (IMHO)
    Last edited by castorpollux; 26th November 2006 at 08:40 PM.

Sorry to hear about your expensive dress shirt. I can certainly understand your frustration. I do find it odd that the juice is colored when the bottle is already colored. I'll have to keep in mind that it stains next time I wear Magnetism for Men.

Since you are using my own terms against a fragrance they weren't meant for, I feel I have to at least respectfully disagree with your assessment and leave it at that.

Really, I was simply making a detailed plea, with some reasons, for some to give Magnestism for Men more than one chance. Pluran is a great advocate of giving fragrances a chance over the long term. I think doing so is a good idea, but again, as I said in my earlier post, if one has a bad visceral reaction to a fragrance that's pretty much the end of it.

Best wishes to you castorpollux,

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 26th November 2006 at 09:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Not my favorite, but it's fine, and it smells pretty good on me. It's one of the many passable ones I have that don't get worn as much as 1) new acquisitons or 2) old favorites. Maybe that's the key to why I don't wear it much: it falls between those two cracks...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I don't like it either...
    Smells weird on me!

I liked the top notes enough to purchase it. The downside is the longevity, only lasted two hours tops. Very weak. Got rid of my bottle way back.

I don't that's for sure.

The fruity head note is nice but the tobacco in the drydown is superb. This one definitely grew on me.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976