Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens fragrances - some advice please

i have recently started wearing Gris Clair which i absolutely adore and am keen to investigate SL fragrances further. however, many in the range seem, i feel, to have a more feminine friendly than male. i was wondering therefore from those who are more familiar with the collection, which you feel are well suited for men as well as for the ladies. most seem to be described as unisex, i actually tried un bois vanille the other day which smelled good with a rich vanilla note but when i looked at the reviews of this fragrance on this site, it had the female only symbol next to it. comments and advice appreciated. to give you an idea of what i like fragrance wise, in my collection i have lolita lempinka, dia by amouage, original santal, GIT, neuroli sauvage(all creed), blvgari pour homme, blue & soir, lanvin pour homme and auperge, isfarkand by ormonde jayne, john varvatos, cuiron by helmut lang, michael by michael kors, ted lapidus pour lui, gris clair(as stated above), pasha by cartier(the fresh/minty one) and jacques bogart and yes, i am a self-confessed fragrance junkie but i can think of far worse addictions.

Default Re: Serge Lutens fragrances - some advice please

Bois Vanille is very feminine.

You should go test out Fumerie Turque and Ambre Sultan if you're looking for something that is easily worn by a man. Both are very, very lovely. FT is smoky tobacco and leather while Ambre Sultan is herbs, vanilla, and rich, rich thick amber.

Second Ambre Sultan and Fumerie Turque, but also Vetiver Oriental, Arabie and the gorgeous leather of Cuir Mauresque. Smells divine on a man!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

IMHO Muscs Koublai Khan leans far towards masculine.
    But then... I haven't come across a woman wearing it... am I mistaken?
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 27th November 2006 at 11:28 AM.

If you like the smoky aspect in Gris Clair you should certainly enjoy Fumerie Turque. I would also second Ambre Sultan which is perfectly suitable for men and my personal favorite among Lutens. Arabie too is a must try and since you like Lolita you should love Douce Amere, which is a delicious oriental gourmand (anise, vanilla, chocolate, but absolutely unisex). Vetiver Oriental is also thumbs up, if you have any interest in a beautiful vetiver (fresh)/ iris (powdery) combo. I say, if you like dior homme anfd vetiver this one will intrigue you. MKK is a smoky, animalic very masculine musk, quite a joyride, far dirtier than Musc Ravageur, and Kiehl Musk Oil comes up positively cute&sweet in direct comparison Daim blond is nice and suedy on some and very feminine-fruity on others and I find Santal Blanc, Chypre Rouge & Datura Noir unwearable as a man. Cedre (no cedar!) and Chergui (haystack in a bottle) are possible, I just can't stand them personally.
    And what I'm dying to try and you should if you can is Santal de Mysore, Encens et Lavande, Borneo 1834
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by merseyboy
    i have recently started wearing Gris Clair which i absolutely adore and am keen to investigate SL fragrances further....
    Only Ambre Sultan is truly uniscent on my scale. There are enough reasons for a man to wear it anyway! I have added Arabie to my wardrobe. At the moment I am sampling Fumerie Turque. My worry: will it be strong enough and last six hours at least (it does on my sweater).
    In a crazy way I am just as attracted to bee's honey from the woods as I am disgusted by it. Same with Miel de Bois, the perfume, which has been recommended to me by a Lutens representative (following a discussion of Gris Clair!). While it seems to be masculine enough, I am not sure whether it's bottle worthy. I had also turned down Cedre as less special. Too bad that Daim Blond is on the other side of uniscent (for me). That one I would consider worth two bottles otherwise! I recommend you test it's wearability for yourself. There are many Vetivers around. I wouln't go for this particular one. Slightly understating: there are a few more masculine scents in Paris! Chergui now belongs to them, a chance missed while it was here...
    Last edited by narcus; 27th November 2006 at 12:07 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Don't forget Chęne, it's been talked about as an gem (suitable for men) of the exclusive line.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by zeram1
    Don't forget Chęne, it's been talked about as an gem (suitable for men) of the exclusive line.
    Of all the SL scents I've tried and owned, Chene is the most masculine IMO.

I would actually dare to say that Chergui smells masculine to me.

Sorry, I forgot Chene. I do not know why it hasn't made click with me yet!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Sorry, I forgot Chene. I do not know why it hasn't made click with me yet!
    Why not? What part(s) are not "right" to you?

Please let us know.

Why not? What part(s) are not "right" to you? Please let us know.
    Honestly, I forgot. I sampled several newer ones at the store, and Chene, Cedre, and Vetiver got sorted out in the first round. I got involved with more feminine ones too, and then decided that I am perfectly happy with three I already have. Going back just last week (because of FT) I only brought myself up-to-date with newest offers. I will now go back once more for the three mentioned initially. After all, Lutens are always a pleasure. And it does happen that one pushes a fragrance aside too quickly, particularly if the decision must be made on sprays at the store, and if one samples more than three at a time !
    Last edited by narcus; 30th November 2006 at 03:04 PM.

Chergui smells very different on men than on women. I'm a woman who adores it and I've spritzed it on male friends and it turns into a totally different animal, so it's worth a try. Daim Blond is another chameleon and worth a go as well. I'm a big fan of Gris Clair, the best mountain fragrance yet, I think!

My first SL bottle (Fumerie Turque) from Paris came in today, weeheee!
    It's a dark, brooding sweet fragrance upon first sampling.

But how do you guys handle the bell bottle? pour it into small spray vials? Isn't there a chance to spill the stuff? and aren't you guys afraid that it will be exposed to air? It didn't come with a sprayer.

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    My first SL bottle (Fumerie Turque) from Paris came in today, weeheee!
    It's a dark, brooding sweet fragrance upon first sampling.

But how do you guys handle the bell bottle? pour it into small spray vials? Isn't there a chance to spill the stuff? and aren't you guys afraid that it will be exposed to air? It didn't come with a sprayer.
    If it's never going to be exposed to air, then how do you plan on experiencing it?

Transfer using a pipette or other similar device if you're worried about sillage (oops, I mean "spillage")

A pipette. Good one, thanks! I guess I had my first SL "bell bottle blues" moment.
    Why not provide a sprayer with them, monsieur Lutens.

Crap! There's no sprayer that comes with the bell bottle? My bottle of MKK should be arriving soon from France. I'm going to have to invest in an atomiser bottle and some pipettes.

Just got my bell jar today of Santal de Mysore and no sprayer! I dabbed a little on my arm and I am loving it. Does anyone just dab it on or are you worried you will contaminate the juice because of body oils?

I tried a sample of A La Nuit yesterday - it smelled great. A fresh clean jasmine scent, it has that characteristic Lutens sweetness, but thankfully it doesnt interfere with the main heart of the scent.

If you want a cool classy floral, A La Nuit might be worth trying.
    -

I am in agreement with those that have said Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque, and Chergui will go well for both male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    A pipette. Good one, thanks! I guess I had my first SL "bell bottle blues" moment.
    Why not provide a sprayer with them, monsieur Lutens.
    A cheap alternative is a straw also. I have a bell jar of Santal de Mysore and decant it into my 1/3 oz. sprayers when I need it by just dipping the straw into the bottle and plugging the end with my index finger. Then, dip the end of the straw in the empty decant jar and take your finger off the top. That's it ... very easy!

Generally the temper of most of the Serge Lutens scents tend to sweetness and thickness; indeed they project in the air a magic glue flooding the space, thickening the air. This tend to give the impression of being more feminine juices than masculine. Said this, there are some which are perfect on a man:
    Fumerie Turque, probably still my favourite Lutens, with its fairy tobacco theme
    Chęne, a trip through an enchanted autumnal wood. Agreed that this is the most masculine one
    Cuir Mauresque, with its gorgeous slightly smoked and spiced leather, with orangy and floral hints
    MKK animal, brutally tender in the heart
    Un bois sepia, with a totally different (respect to Chęne) development of the woody theme
    Bois de Violette, which I'd like to call "Masculinité de Violette" (as the worth counterpart of Feminité du Bois)
    Borneo 1834, with its silky patchouli texture spotted by bitter cocoa beans
    Miel de Bois
    Others are unisex and some of them are definitely feminine like the stunnigly floral Tubereuse Criminelle, Un Lys, and Rose de Nuit
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 3rd December 2006 at 01:46 AM.

По-русски здесь кто-нибудь понимает?

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr-kl
    Enlightening, I suppose Translators in the BN house?
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I speak a little Russian but I don't have the right fonts here. Could try again in a few days.

It literally means:
    "In Russian here somebody understands?"
    I found that from a free online translation tool.

мЫ говорим толъко по-ингиский.

Well, as a pupil during the soviet occupation I had to learn russian for about 15 years here in Hungary. I never thought it would ever be useful in the freedom
    My answer is: 'we speak only english' -I'm not sure it's perfect .

Spam!!

Or maybe not...
    -

Borneo 1834 is one of the most masculine of Serge Lutens. There's a lack to the usual sweetness you find in most of his formulas. I like this fragrance because it really harkens travels to Southeast Asia. It has the scent of voyages from Sibuyan to the Celebes Seas. Very rich and masculine. Think Ernest Hemingway.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Borneo 1834 is one of the most masculine of Serge Lutens. There's a lack to the usual sweetness you find in most of his formulas. I like this fragrance because it really harkens travels to Southeast Asia. It has the scent of voyages from Sibuyan to the Celebes Seas. Very rich and masculine. Think Ernest Hemingway.
    If that really smells as you describe it, you get me interested. And it doesn't even need Hemingway. Celebes Sea - you ever cruise down there, sleeping on the planks of boats that wouldn't leave the harbour until they had an overload of people and merchandise? I remember what those planks can smell of...

I concur with Borneo 1834! This is my favorite SL by far and for me personally, it conjures up this image of a quiet and languorous night in an old Javanese house with rustic teak furniture, heirloom batik cloths inside a wooden chest with camphor thrown in, gamelan music playing in far far distance. A dark brown scent.

I have to give it up for Borneo as well. I was instantly hooked- and I usually loathe both patchouli and chocolate in scents. But this patch is so dusty-incensey and the cocoa is so near to burnt and the barest touch of camphor cools the opening and it's just wonderful. I overspent to get a bell jar on eBay and have never mourned the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00
    I have to give it up for Borneo as well. I was instantly hooked- and I usually loathe both patchouli and chocolate in scents. But this patch is so dusty-incensey and the cocoa is so near to burnt and the barest touch of camphor cools the opening and it's just wonderful. I overspent to get a bell jar on eBay and have never mourned the fact.
    DRAT! Was it you that snapped up that bell jar? It was gone before I could bid! I keep hoping that someone will sell another one, because I am in love with Borneo. It is so amazing.

As an aside, Why aren't there more folks in the EU that are selling SL non-exports on eBay? I am so frustrated that I can't get the non-export fragrances! Although I'd love an excuse to travel to Paris, I don't have the means. The bottle of Borneo that I wanted on eBay started at $199 before shipping. For someone in the European Union to spend 100 euros on a bottle of fragrance and get a return like that? I'm amazed that there aren't more people doing it. Pity, because I want more SL!