Code of Conduct

Default Spray vs Dab - do you notice a difference?

2 years ago my sister bought me a miniature bottle of Estee Lauder's Knowing. The moment I dabbed it on I thought 'Ew..this is definitely not my kind of perfume!' To me it was synthetic, powdery and aldehydic - or just plain boring. I continued to use it because my boyfriend liked it on me and I didn't have anything else, but my opinion of the fragrance never changed. So it came as a big surprise to me when recently, just for fun, I sprayed a tester of Knowing.. and found that I totally love it! It seems much warmer and more complex than I remember it and I'm wondering whether it is because this is the first time I have smelled it in a spray form? Is it possible that this could make a difference? Or has my nose just changed?

Default Re: Spray vs Dab - do you notice a difference?

I believe it can make a huge difference!!
    I have a splash bottle of Caron's Tabac Blond edc that seems to lose some richness if I spray it on from a small decant atomizer I thought spraying would enhance the smell but the opposite happens.
    On the other hand, Jil Sander's No.4 is a gorgeous scent that is even better when sprayed.
    I have Shalimar parfum both in spray and dab on bottles but I don't notice any difference there.

Smile Re: Spray vs Dab - do you notice a difference?

If I have the parfum and the edt of the same fragrance I will dab the parfum on before I leave the house. To refresh throughout the day or evening I will spray the edt in my hair and body. I also carry the perfume sampler vials with edt and the small blue bottles of parfum to use when I am out and about.

It makes sense to me to layer the fragrance. Sometimes even mixing the fragrances are fun.

Try it.

JoAnne
    JoAnne Bassett, Perfumer
    http://www.JoAnneBassett.com

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    I have a splash bottle of Caron's Tabac Blond edc that seems to lose some richness if I spray it on from a small decant atomizer I thought spraying would enhance the smell but the opposite happens.
    Thanks for the hint -- I think I just bought the same Tabac Blond EDC (eBay? I noticed positive feedback from a 424tinker?) and I've been shopping around for a really great purse spray for it. I'll look for a roll on or dauber instead.

Quote Originally Posted by emfoley
    Thanks for the hint -- I think I just bought the same Tabac Blond EDC (eBay? I noticed positive feedback from a 424tinker?) and I've been shopping around for a really great purse spray for it. I'll look for a roll on or dauber instead.
    Yes that's me!! Thanks to OCD I now have a second bottle !
    I bought a pretty little 1 ounce spray bottle for it, but it is much better just dabbed/splashed on.

Post Re: Spray vs Dab - do you notice a difference?

With some fragrances, the difference is surprisingly clear to my nose. L'Homme de Coeur is a good example, for me it works better when dabbed (obviously it's gorgeous also when sprayed). It's topnotes lasts longer and are more pronounced, and it doesn't dry down as powdery when dabbed. Basically all of my fragrances are in spray bottles, but nowadays I tend to spray the scent to my wrist or to the back of my hand and dab it to my neck; I used to believe it does harm to the scent, but my experience is that in general, it's the other way around.

I have no idea why.

I like to spray and walk through the mist. It gets onto more of you and your
    hair, clothes that way. The only 'dabbers' I have are Blonde (wouldn't risk
    spraying that one, by the way, - too much room for error!) and my 20-odd
    testers.

I prefer to dab. Sprays annoy me because I can't control the amount that gets sprayed out, and then it goes everywhere, in my hair and clothes, onto other surfaces. I don't always want that. If the scent is in my hair, it does seem to smell a little different than what develops on my skin. So I do see a difference in that sense. My main beef with sprays, though, is lack of control. Plus I enjoy the tactile pleasure of dabbing.

I enjoy the act of spraying so much that I refuse to dab. In fact, dabbing has been the result of many "turnarounds" this year. Dab, dab, dab from a sample or decant. Spend, spend, spend on full bottle. List, list, list bottle on eBay.

However, I found Chinatown FAR preferable when dabbed. The act of spraying became an act of revulsion. Same with Tauer's Marocain. In the case of Chinatown, the woody/incense notes were completely overwhelmed by the peach/caramel/gardenia when sprayed, and the whole disintegrated into a sticky mess, although I will say that it neatly mimicked the interior of an Asian tourist shop and therefore accomplished its mission. Marocain had some note in there (perhaps petitgrain) that did not agree with me when sprayed. When dabbed it was interesting and unusual, but spraying it was letting it howl.

As I packed up my remaining 3 mls of Chinatown to send to a lucky Chinatown novitiate, a bit spilled on my hand, and I remembered what had attracted me to it in the first place. It then tortured me the rest of the night, but the memory of the peach gardenia in the full, sweaty bloom of summer heat was a stronger recollection.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    Yes that's me!! Thanks to OCD I now have a second bottle !
    I bought a pretty little 1 ounce spray bottle for it, but it is much better just dabbed/splashed on.
    Oh good, I'm glad I took the plunge -- I knew it must be good when you came back for that second bottle!

I have to say that sometimes I think there is totally a difference- why I don't really know though.

For years I have tried Angel dabbed on from some sort of sample vial. It's always terrible on me. Over Thanksgiving I was able to try a friend's spray of it (of course I couldn't resist.) Even though it wasn't the best perfume I've ever tried, it was actually not too bad- although incredibly STRONG and even more so since it was sprayed. It actually lasted a day and a half- through a scrubbing and a shower- where I put it on my arm.

Anyway- I've certainly noticed over the years that some perfumes smell completely different depending on whether you spray or dab.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Ok, so maybe this is a silly question, but say you have a sprayer that you prefer to dab (maybe like the Chinatown example): how do you dab the spray without taking off the top? Do you put it in a separate vial? Do you sort of spray a little area like your finger with a bunch of spray and THEN dab?
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Blog Entries

I know this is an old thread but I had a longevity experience and question to share on the topic. Better to bump than start a new thread?

I bought tester dab vials of L'Heure Bleue and Apres L'Ondee from The Perfumed Court.
    I liked both so purchased spray bottles of them.
    The longevity is substantially longer with the sprays than the dab vials even when dabbed lavishly.
    Apres dabbed on lasted ~ 2 hours, sprayed it lasts 4+ depending on humidity.
    L'Heure lasted ~4 hours dabbed but 8+ sprayed.
    The 3 Dita von Teese sample dab vials that I also ordered were very short-lived as well but now I'm wondering...
    Is this common? I'm not used to measuring longevity of the dabbed vs sprayed methods so it may be just a usual thing?
    Have I been passing up potential lovelies just because a dab is more fugitive than a spray?
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

I find that spraying puts more product on me than dabbing, and so there is more longevity. I have been surprised by the amount that some sprayers produce; sometimes more than I wanted!

Interesting. In general, spraying consumes much more material than dabbing, so one would have to make sure the same quantity is used. Also, it depends on where one dabs or sprays.

cacio

Perhaps I'm unnecessarily cautious, but I never entirely trust the samples from decant sites. There are tales of people getting EdT instead of EdP or even extrait - perhaps accidentally, but the point is you never know exactly what goes into that little vial.

Basenotes Plus

Many fragrances smell way different to me when dabbed vs spraying. For example, Hermes Vetiver Tonka dabbed from their samples smells pretty boring and dense, but when sprayed from a bottle - it's very nice, light, airy, transparent, and a lot more aromatic.

To me, dabber samples are good enough only to get a general idea of what the fragrance smells like. To get better feel on how it actually works, projects, and transforms from top to base, you definitely have to spray it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Perhaps I'm unnecessarily cautious, but I never entirely trust the samples from decant sites. There are tales of people getting EdT instead of EdP or even extrait - perhaps accidentally, but the point is you never know exactly what goes into that little vial.
    My sentiments, exactly!

Yes, there is often a noticeable difference in spraying vs. dabbing/splashing. Spraying seems to lighten/brighten things up unnecessarily.

Apart from the strict tactility, mechanics of the process, no, especially in the case of the very same fragrance and the very same batch, formulation and/or concentration of the said fragrance, irrespective if applied through spraying or splashing.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I find that spraying puts more product on me than dabbing, and so there is more longevity. I have been surprised by the amount that some sprayers produce; sometimes more than I wanted!
    This is my experience, too.

queen of the universe

Some "sharp" fragrances can be overwhelming sprayed, Amarige being Exhibit #1.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Spraying is more luxurious and expeditious. I put most of my juice in little atomizers for convenience. I find that, even with my Parfums, if I leave them in the bottles, I ignore them. They are too much trouble. And you can't smell them much if they're dabbed on.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th March 2014 at 07:40 PM.