Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: House Haters

Default Re: House Haters

perfectfeet: I think you mean "subjective," not "objective"!

Anyway I think you've posed some interesting questions. My thoughts:

1. I don't think it's wrong to have a prejudice. I think it's useful to acknowledge prejudices where they may affect opinions you're expressing, but at the same time I think it's of dubious value merely to express or advertise prejudices in their own right.
    2. I agree it is arrogant to imply one's personal qualities (such as knowledge, abilities, and tastes) are superior to others', for whatever reason.
    3. I hold open the possibility arrogance of certain kinds in certain circumstances might be justified. (Not to name any names, scentemental!)
    4. I think devoting time to something and acquiring skill in it does enable you to make better objective judgements, such as identifying particular fragrances, notes, or other categories; but
    5. it is unclear to me whether factual knowledge and objective abilities confer any authority to one's tastes and preferences.

Cheers!
    Last edited by d4; 28th November 2006 at 09:44 PM.

I agree with so many things on this thread but not everything.

I fully understand nearfantastica's opening post and completely agree - we should not classify a fragrance as "bad" just because it came from a certain house. However, I think it is justifiable to skip over a scent from a certain house because of past experiences with the house.

Yes, testing fragrance based on house/past experience is kind of biased but as Paul said, there are SO many fragrances and only so much time. Unless we select for certain fragrances to try out, we will spend ALL our time just testing fragrances non-stop. If we stick with what generally works, we will save a lot of time and money in the long run.

There are houses that I no longer seek out. Names that come to mind include Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss. This is because many of their offerings have failed to really impress me. However, there are fragrances they offer that I do enjoy. I love CK Escape in the summer and Obsession in the winter. Hugo Boss Bottled is also great in the winter. However, I can't say the same for their other offerings.

A house which I definitely seek out is Serge Lutens. I like their stuff. I really like their stuff. But that doesn't mean I think every single of their fragrances are masterpieces. Chypre Rouge: I tested it with no preconceptions whatsoever - and hated it. Then I read reviews and saw that I wasn't on my own. YSL is my favorite designer house (followed closely by Chanel). I really like their line for men but I have to admit, the new L'Homme is really not very YSLesque and smells like "just another watered down designer frag!"

What I'm trying to show with these examples is that there's always the possibility of a great fragrance from a house - the only difference is that some houses just offer a higher number of agreeable fragrances than not. IE. 4 out of 5 SL fragrances work for me while only 1/5 CK fragrances work. It makes more sense to stick with a house with offerings that are more likely going to work with you.

I guess THE most important thing, however, is to trust your own nose. If you think it smells good, it does. End of story.

Basenotes Plus

Hugo Boss was just another design house - a German one - as far as I was concerned till I heard that they designed and outfitted the Nazi SS - no hate, it's more a boycott for me.

Wikipedia has more info that does not look disputed.

Gary

Subjective VS. Objective...

I always screw those up!

Thanks for the correction, and feel free to PM me with any method you might reccommend to help me remember which to use when!

(Yes, I'm serious)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Arrow Re: House Haters

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    Subjective VS. Objective...

I always screw those up!

Thanks for the correction, and feel free to PM me with any method you might reccommend to help me remember which to use when!

(Yes, I'm serious)
    I'll just post this publicly; those who have no trouble with these words can skip to the next post.

I think if you are familiar with the use of the words "subject" and "object," you'll get "subjective" and "objective" right too.

Recall that in a sentence, the subject performs an action, and the object (if any) is what the action is performed on. In the sentence "John smells perfume," John is the subject, and perfume is the object.

Similarly (quoting from Wikipedia), "In philosophy, a subject is a being which has subjective experiences or a relationship with another entity (or 'object'). A subject is an observer and an object is a thing observed."

So the "subjective" relates specifically to the subject (perhaps taking place exclusively in the mind) while the "objective" relates specifically to the object (perhaps existing in some external reality). Hence if the perfume contains vanilla and was made in France, these are objective properties; but if John thinks the perfume smells good, this is subjective.

Whether being an oriental perfume is a subjective or an objective property is left as an exercise for the reader.
    Last edited by d4; 29th November 2006 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    Hugo Boss was just another design house - a German one - as far as I was concerned till I heard that they designed and outfitted the Nazi SS - no hate, it's more a boycott for me.

Wikipedia has more info that does not look disputed.

Gary
    Do you refuse to take Aspirin? or if you were sick not use a pharamceutical drug by Merck? do you refuse to ride in any Mercedes, BMW, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep (all German owned), Volkswagen etc. etc. automobile? refuse to use Henkel knives in your kitchen? So on and so on.

Just to point out that using an argument like that is hypocritical. I guarantee there are countless products you use every day of your life that are made by companies that helped the Nazis, used slave labour, etc. etc.

Blog Entries

I try to sample everything I can. I don't want to risk missing out on "the one." (hmm...maybe I should start applying this to my love life...)

I seem to have the opposite "problem" than discussed in this thread. I WANT to like certain houses because I love a particular frag from them.....but don't like anything else. For example, Bvlgari Black is the only frag from that house I'm crazy about. Same w/ Mugler, I love TM cologne, but nothing else. I WANT to like the houses...but it just doesn't happen.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Last edited by myaccolades; 29th November 2006 at 02:30 AM.