Code of Conduct

Thumbs up LUTENS or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Chergui

If I may beg your indulgence re my title, ladies and gentlemen! :-)

I received today my eagerly(!) awaited bottle of Chergui which came with two testers, one each of Ambre Sultan and Arabie.

First Chergui: I gingerly sliced opened the plastic wrapping around the deliciously austere box. "This little thing is worth $92?" I remember asking myself as I proceded to open the box and found the bottle secured by a skeleton of cardboard reinforcements, the spray attachment beside it. I felt like I was opening the briefcase container of a Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine gun with the thirty-round magazine on the side.

For a moment, as I gazed at the deep amber of the liquid, I thought it was a bottle of Maple Syrup and a momentary panic flashed, manifesting itself as a deeply-furrowed forehead. This feeling quickly subsided however, as I gently unscrewed the bottle top and raised it to my expectant nostrils and caught a whif of something utterly wonderful. Wanting, no, needing to know more, I glanced around my desk (at work) looking for a suitable implement and noticing nothing, I took out the spray attachment and dipped it's thin plastic end a few millimeters into the sensuous liquid then dabbed it on the back of my left hand, just ahead of the watch.

I repeated it several times to ensure I'd gotten enough then, securely fastening the screw-top bottle cap, I raised my hand to my nose, Copeland's Ode to the Common Man playing in my head. Bam! The tendrils of Chergui invaded the space inside my nostrils and expanded, sqeezing into every fissure; I took a deep breath and that initial, wonderful thing I'd smelled was reconfirmed. This is really good! Really good.

There's the hay I've been hearing about. Sniff, sniff. And the honey. Yes! Zip... there goes the amber and what's this? Sandalwood. Luscious, simply luscious.

Incredulous, I put down my hand and greedily snatched at:

Arabie: this one was in a small 1.2ml spray plastic vial. Carefully, I depressed the spray until just the tiniest amount oozed out. I rubbed this on my right hand and wooah, boy! This one bolted out of the stable and galloped wildly about, mane flying, back legs kicking, depositing Rum Raisin and sweet cough medicine all over the place. Sheesh! Let's hope this calms down very soon. Glancing over, I saw:

Ambre Sultan: I was a Lutens "old hand" by now. Squeeze, droplets, upper left arm. Oh. My. Heavenly. Hosts. Jehovah. On. High. Now, this is amber, baby. Smoooth amber. Delicious. Hey, I know this scent, it's Donna Karan Black Cashmere, only smoother. Much smoother, no bite. I know I'm going to like this one, yes sir.
    Last edited by ifconfig; 27th November 2006 at 11:06 PM.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Default Re: LUTENS or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Chergui

For some strange reason I can't seem to enjoy wearing Chergui. I think it's a fabulous scent and would give it a 5 star rating, but I find it to be way too "pretty". Although it's unisex, I don't think a man should ever wear this, and I think it's best suited for a female. It's one of those fragrances that just smells "too" nice IMO, and I get turned off from wearing it, but I can definitely see the appeal.

all I can say at this point is that Lutens is calling me, baby, and I read your descriptions eagerly. I spent the day with mere drops of Fleurs d'Oranger, and there is something so full bodied and complete about this fragrance. Looking forward to trying more from Serge Lutens. Hints of a new and undiscovered territory...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Why So Serious?

Like Nima, i find Chergui quite pretty, in fact maybe too much so lol. I really loved this Lutens, but it just turned too thick and sweet on my skin (almost to a point that it gave me a toothache). I told my mom, my girlfriend and my sister to try this one on them before, i really liked how it smelled on each of them, though i recall it suited much better on my mother's skin. Unfortunately neither of them liked it lol, so i had to let it loose. It was one of the few fragrances that i quite enjoyed by sniffing from the bottle. Too bad really. I find most Lutens better suited on the female members in my family rather than myself. However, no one touches my MKK lol!
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

While Chergui is a good perfume, it is strong. This one will be kept for special occasions only, let me tell you. Too much (even a little too much) and it will give you a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    There's the hay I've been hearing about. Sniff, sniff. And the honey. Yes! Zip... there goes the amber and what's this? Sandalwood. Luscious, simply luscious.
    Maybe I can tune in too well with the spirit you're writing things sometimes, be it humor or joy! You have a way of bringing it over! I can share how you welcome new arrivals to your wardrobe with extraordinary enthusiasm. It's been so long that I sampled Chergui (together with Arabie, when I bought A). Your summary brings Chergui back though! I hope nobody can spoil your fun, even when they put pretty in quotation marks. The day has yet to come when I love a Lutens less over time.
    Last edited by narcus; 28th November 2006 at 09:44 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    The day has yet to come when I love a Lutens less over time.
    That pretty much says it all for me.

It's funny isn't it. SL is the only house that impresses me more, rather than less, the more I smell and the longer I have the scents........

I just returned from a trip outside AK and I got bottles of Chergui, Ambre Sultan, and A La Nuit. They are all amazing, but I remembered this Chergui thread and I had to post in it.

Chergui is everything I've read about and more. I am in love. It's amazingly rich and I cannot get enough of it. I think that this is a fabulous scent for men and women both -- I'm going to ask my boyfriend to wear it the next time I see him. This scent would be impossibly sexy and alluring on a man.

Love Ambre Sultan. I just received a sample of Montale's Patchouli Leaves, it reminds me of Ambre Sultan, which I will buy without reservation. I'm still trying to get a sample of Fumerie Turque.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    I just returned from a trip outside AK and I got bottles of Chergui, Ambre Sultan, and A La Nuit. They are all amazing, but I remembered this Chergui thread and I had to post in it.

Chergui is everything I've read about and more. I am in love. It's amazingly rich and I cannot get enough of it. I think that this is a fabulous scent for men and women both -- I'm going to ask my boyfriend to wear it the next time I see him. This scent would be impossibly sexy and alluring on a man.

My wife agrees with you, at least on this particular man. This and Malle's Musk are about the only fragrances she responds to at all.
    The key for me is application. I use a roll-on decant and just apply a little in the nape of the neck. Its just a wonderful scent.
    -Slim

I'm tired but will say that the Lutens are the most interesting scents to wear today that I'm aware of.

Also thank you for the Kubrik allusion in your title. Lutens already says quality but putting Lutens on Kubrik's level says quality, taste and extreme attention to detail.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 19th December 2006 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling

I've yet to smell the Chergui, when one of you say 'pretty' is it as pretty as Daim Blond which I currently have? The one that I absolutely admire from SL is Fumerie Turque, which I will say is another smokey honey incensy sort of scent but I won't call it too pretty. IMO SL must be the 'best' oriental house, especially the darker/dirtier ones like FT, Miel de Bois etc are just so exquisite and like nothing else ever.

Well, I just received a decant of Chergui and like many others, am extremely impressed with the balanced beauty of this fragrance. From the very first opening with the spices and woods to the sweet drydown, it's just so good I could cry! Extremely sensual, deep, elegant and like nothing else around. Absolutely breathtaking.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Welcome to the club, brotha!