Code of Conduct

Thread: Frederic Malle

Default Frederic Malle

Hello...I'm interested in buying some Frederic Malle decants. I've been reading all of the reviews and I don't know which ones to go with. I'm asking for suggestions because decants are pretty expensive, so if you guys can tell me which ones to go after I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by muchisgiven; 28th November 2006 at 05:38 PM.

Default Re: Frederic Malle

It would certainly be helpful if you named some of the fragrances you use right now, what kind of fragrances you're attracted to (sweet, light, woody, citrus, etc.) and what exactly you're looking for. Also, at www.editionsdeparfums.com you can take a test to find out which one of their scents suits you best. If you're lucky, you will even get some samples out of that. Good luck with your quest.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Well I like citrus scents and woody scents.
    Right now in my wardrobe I have:

Gucci Pour Homme
    Gucci Envy
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Himalya
    Creed Millisime Imperial
    L'eau Issey Miyake
    Vera Wang
    Marc Jacobs
    M7
    Lolita Lempicka
    Kenneth Cole Black

My favorite are Marc Jacobs, GIT, M7, and MI

I hope this helps

Gucci Pour Homme
    Gucci Envy
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Himalya
    Creed Millisime Imperial
    L'eau Issey Miyake
    Vera Wang
    Marc Jacobs
    M7
    Lolita Lempicka
    Kenneth Cole Black

I hope this helps

En Passant is very similar to L'Eau d'Issey (at least on me) so I wouldn't suggest buying it if you've already got Issey. I find L'Eau d'Hiver very nice, light (but not citrusy in any way). I'm not sure if FM has anything citrusy?

thanks for the suggestions...what is Musc Raveguer similar too?

I couldn't compare it to any of the fragrances I know, anyway on my skin it's a very aggressive, masculine, powerful musc which I couldn't imagine wearing.

Well as a guy maybe it will have a different effect on me. Musc is one that will get but I'm also interested inthe suggestion you made as well

you should try musc ravageur. it's a bold manly scent sweet and sexy and . . . really a thrill to wear. and if you don't like it it'll be very easy to get rid of. many have the experience of being a bit "scared" by it at first, but only at first! not for the office, definitely for a night out!

there is a citrus, the bigarde concentré

angeliques is very similar to gucci rush so save your $
    vetiver extraordinaire is great but very subtle a fascinating one though
    noir epice is a little on the generic side, not too many people seem enthusiastic about it

what BrothaG said.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE vetiver extrordinaire, a great everyday scent.

I don't find Noir Epices to be generic, in fact I found it to be pretty off the charts, but very much an acquired taste. Is it aldehydes in the top of that one? hmmmm....maybe it's just generic in the drydown? (the top is what sticks in my brain the most...)

definitey take the test at the website. it's fun, and you'll get a personal recommendation from somone at a FM boutique via email.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Yes, on a man I think it would be great (should have tried it on my husband instead of myself...).

Is it possible for Americans to order from the Frederic Malle website. Everytime I try to set up a new account I get a message in French. Unfortunately I don't speak French...

I've ordered from them several times in Canada and there have been no problem, so I assume it would be the same in the U.S. Maybe if you post the french message you get one of us could translate it for you?

My 2 cents:

Noir Epices - all time favourite evening-scent...strong, interesting, and much complimented
    Angeliques - very cool, light, daytime scent....not long lasting at all though
    Vetiver - I guess it would be great if you loved vetiver
    Bigarade Concentree - summery, citrusy, very wearable anytime
    Musc - again, would be great if you like musc...not for me
    Une Rose - strong, floral (obviously) and too feminine for me

D

Would it be cheaper to order directly from the FM website rather than through an official US distributor? (Barneys New York, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by muchisgiven
    Is it possible for Americans to order from the Frederic Malle website. Everytime I try to set up a new account I get a message in French. Unfortunately I don't speak French...

>>> Vetiver - I guess it would be great if you loved vetiver<<<

well....i really *don't* like vetiver, but love VE.
    it is to vetiver what Montale patchouli leaves is to patchouli, IMO
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Wink Re: Frederic Malle

Vetiver Extraordinaire for daytime and Musc Ravageur in the evening...confident, unique and totally alluring!

Gucci Pour Homme
    Gucci Envy
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Himalya
    Creed Millisime Imperial
    L'eau Issey Miyake
    Vera Wang
    Marc Jacobs
    M7
    Lolita Lempicka
    Kenneth Cole Black

I hope this helps
    According to what you like, I advise you to try:

Musc Ravageur: warm, spiced, animalic, embracing
    Vetiver Extraordinaire: woody, green
    Bigarrade Concentrée: bitter citrusy, spiced
    Angelique sous la pluie: sparkling, salty, refreshing

Everyone gave excellent suggestions, but no one mentioned Lys Mediterranee. It's a wonderful orange blossom/marine scent with just enough spices from ginger lilies. Check it out!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I find Noir Epices, along with Carnal Flower, to be the most intriguing of Malle's line. Noir Epices, along with Musc Ravageur, are perhaps the most masculine (to my mind, at least).

I disagree with the comment about Noir Epices being boring or generic. As much as I love Musc. Ravageur (and Carnal Flower), I have found many variations on their respective themes, and in that sense I think they are somewhat less original than Noir Epices.

Musc Ravageur is one of Basenotes darlings among the Malles. Noir Epices is simply a more challenging and esoteric scent to wear. I'm glad it's not for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    It would certainly be helpful if you named some of the fragrances you use right now, what kind of fragrances you're attracted to (sweet, light, woody, citrus, etc.) and what exactly you're looking for. Also, at www.editionsdeparfums.com you can take a test to find out which one of their scents suits you best. If you're lucky, you will even get some samples out of that. Good luck with your quest.
    Yep, I just received two 5ml atomizers for free from Malle. I filled out the questionaire online and a very nice customer service rep responded the next day with two suggestions (Vetiver Extraordinaire and Bigarade Concentree). She said to let her know if I wasn't near a Malle shop and she'd send me a sample. I'm about 1000miles from Barney's, so I gave her my address. I didn't expect much (I also sent in the card that came with a few of my Bond no. 9 frags and never got anything), but in today's mail was a nice thank you note from the SA, a Malle price list, and the sprays of each of the fragrances.

The complete turnaround from filling it out to getting the samples was only about 10 days; pretty good considering they came direct from France.

So, definitely fill out the form online!

(So far, the Bigarade Concentree is interesting and will take me some time to work with. The Vetiver, though, is incredible. IT's sort of like Guerlain Vetiver X 1000)
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Hm, I did the online questionnaire 3-4 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing. I just sent them an email, so we'll see what happens...

Vetiver Extraordinaire is my favourite among the lot. However, Noir Epices is the only one that I've recently considered re-assessing.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    noir epice is a little on the generic side, not too many people seem enthusiastic about it
    I don't find Noir Epices generic, just tough to wear because (on me) it has no top or middle notes, just bottom spices skimming on a masterfully light bergamot. So even though said bottom notes "develop," it throws me off-balance to wear. Still, if you like citrus and can tolerate dark spice, you might want to give NE a try (esp. if you can get a free sample!).

Wow I tried doing that and they sent me back a message saying that they don't deliver samples to my area. Can you believe that...I live in Brooklyn, NY?!?!?

Well good luck to you, I'm still waiting to get my hands on any malle that I can

I had a hell of a time getting samples at a Frederic Malle counter at Barney's. The SA was bitchy and downright rude, even though I had just purchased three bottles of Serge Lutens and Chanel makeup. I got one sample of Musc Ravageur that was given so grudgingly that you would have thought that the bitter queen was paying for it out of his own pocket. Yikes.

I adore MR, though, and will be buying a bottle of it posthaste.

Wow I tried doing that and they sent me back a message saying that they don't deliver samples to my area. Can you believe that...I live in Brooklyn, NY?!?!?

Well good luck to you, I'm still waiting to get my hands on any malle that I can
    I think the reason that perhaps they don't ship to you is that you are close to their main retailer (Barney's). I'm 1000 miles from NYC, so there's no way for me to try it.

I would guess that Malle probably thinks that Barney's is friendly and helpful with their samples... if only they knew the truth! (sometimes SA's like to act like every sample is filled and decanted from their own blood.)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I think the reason that perhaps they don't ship to you is that you are close to their main retailer (Barney's). I'm 1000 miles from NYC, so there's no way for me to try it.

I would guess that Malle probably thinks that Barney's is friendly and helpful with their samples... if only they knew the truth! (sometimes SA's like to act like every sample is filled and decanted from their own blood.)
    Could it be the SA has to account to a higher up for the number/amount of samples at the end of the day/week and is secretly making his/her own stash for personal use or resale on eBay? Hmmmm?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl
    Hm, I did the online questionnaire 3-4 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing. I just sent them an email, so we'll see what happens...
    I received an e-mail reply about a day after filling out the online questionnaire. The sender was called simply "contact" and the subject line said "RE: we will help you." I almost absent-mindedly deleted the reply, then decided to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by BBRex
    I received an e-mail reply about a day after filling out the online questionnaire. The sender was called simply "contact" and the subject line said "RE: we will help you." I almost absent-mindedly deleted the reply, then decided to check it.
    Strange; mine came from a nice woman named "Helene." Keep in mind that they are sending from France; I'm guessing that perhaps not all of their service reps speak perfectly fluent English. But, I'll take some odd grammar if it comes with free Malle.

Strange; mine came from a nice woman named "Helene." Keep in mind that they are sending from France; I'm guessing that perhaps not all of their service reps speak perfectly fluent English. But, I'll take some odd grammar if it comes with free Malle.
    The e-mail signed was signed "Tiphaine" and she was very nice, but the "From" line on the e-mail said "contact." There was nothing indicating the e-mail from Frederic Malle until I opened it. Once I opened it, it was cool.

My reply was the same, "We will help you", and the advisor was Helene.
    She said, "Feel free to send your mailing address", so I did. See my thread, "Deconstructing the Malle questionaire", in this forum for further details.

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault