Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations for a daily scent from a French house

I'm currently looking for a new daily scent - I'm spending a few months in Paris and want to make the most of the fact that the fragrances from local houses are far less expensive here than trying to order them back home. Ideally it would be something that works well in summer (back home it rarely drops below about 10deg celsius in winter and can approach 40deg in summer). I currently use MPG's Eau des Iles as a special fragrance but it's far too strong to be something I can wear daily - if possible I'd like something that somewhat complements it but is a little more subdued.

As a bit of background, I've got a bunch of different daytime scents I like to rotate through (incl. rochas man, guerlain vetiver, and lanvin l'homme) but with the exception of the vetiver I haven't been able to find anything I can wear for more than three or four days at a time. I used to do the same thing with evening fragrances but after finding EdI I haven't really reached for anything else, it just works so perfectly - and my mission is to find something similar for a daytime scent. From reading the reviews I'm leaning towards something from l'artisan parfumeur and will be picking up samples of navegar and passage d'enfer (which are both apparently suited for warmer weather), any ideas whether either of these will complement the EdI? Any other houses / fragrances you fine folk can recommend?

Oh and I'll be holding on to the Vetiver for the stinking hot days. Thanks in advance guys and girls.

Default Re: Recommendations for a daily scent from a French house

Head up to Guerlain on the Champs and sniff all the mens frags. Prices are reasonable and staff are good. I recommend Heritage, but you may prefer something else.

Otherwise, try a creed fro their shop on Serbie or a Montale or...........

When I was last there Acqua Di Parma Lavanda Tonica did me proud. Italian though
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Oops, just realised that I should have probably posted this on the "I'm New" board.

As far as the Creed recommendation goes, the only one that I think would really be ok back home (think almost tropical heat) is Himalaya, but unfortunately it seemed to fade after about two hours of wearing it. I've tested a few Guerlains and although you're right that Heritage is both an awesome fragrance and would work well with the Eau des Iles, again it's probably a bit too heavy for daily wear.

The reason I mentioned passage d'enfer is that I've tried a decant of it before and really liked it even in fairly serious heat, and I think I'll end up getting it if I can't find anything I like better. I've read through the guide to Paris in the City Shopping Guides, but would prefer to get some specific recommendations on fragrances rather than trying a few dozen scents in a few dozen stores. I will check out the Aqua di parma recommendation though, thanks!

Rochas, Moustache Citrus + woods
    three Gevenchy's:
    Monsieur
    Xerius (not Xerius rouge!)
    Gentleman (perhaps, as maybe not every day)
    Christian Dior, Jules, fine fragrance just sold in France
    YSL, Live Jazz
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Habit Rouge EDC
    If you can get your hands on Monsieur Galimard that is great for day-to-day; probably more widely available on the other side of the pond.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I'd be content to wear Caron's Le Troisième Homme every day - the drydown is one of the most lullingly beautiful of any frag I own. Alternatively, Serge Lutens' Gris Clair, which, as someone remarked of all SLs in a recent thread, just grows more and more appealing - it's also a good "cool" scent. (Since you'll be in Paris you might want to head over to SL at Palais Royal and try Chêne and Cuir Mauresque, as well.)

As a daily frag Guerlain Vetiver works well.

Eau de L'Artisan-- it's mellow and can be used for 'everyday'. It's from the house of L'Artisan Parfumeur.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Honestly I personally can't see wearing one frag on a daily basis, but if I did:

Guerlain Vetiver..again
    YSL Live Jazz...again
    and YSL Pour Homme...again?

I think this post warrants a Poll, how many people wear one scent at least 4 days of the week.

Mister K..any chances daily with the Edt, in your opinion? L)

Seasons Greetings

From L'Artisan Parfumer:

Timbuktu
    Premier Figuier
    Fou d' Absinthe
    Ananas Fizz

Of course, since I can't stand the two "APs you picked out, you may not like my favorites .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Idea #1: Frederic Malle Editions de Parfum Vetiver Extrordinaire was the first to come to mind, tho' I don't know how similar it is to the Guerlain

Idea #2: since your current fave seems to be an MPG, how about a complementary MPG? Centaure might work.

re the SL suggestions: haven't tried Chene (it's high on my list), but Cuir Mauresque would absolutely suffocate me in any heat (it suffocates me now in 50^F weather....). Encense & Lavande should be on your list though if you do a SL visit (yes, it's smoky, but the lavander I think balances it out enough for daily wear).

Have fun!
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Overcome By Fumes

I'd suggest Comme des Garcons 2 Man, while a visit to their boutique may give you a whole world of other interesting possibilities.

Another thought, since you like Vetiver and Maitre Parfumeur, would be Route du Vetiver, which is seriously different from the Guerlain, but quite amazing nonetheless.

What about a classic such as Eau sauvage or Boucheron PH?

Hermès' Équipage is very nice too, in the carnation soapy style.
    (as is MisterK's Monsieur Galimard suggestion)
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Blog Entries

Daily wear from a French house...how about Chanel Allure Sport?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I would go to The Different Company and give them a smell...Sel de Vetiver seems like a nice everyday scent, and Divine Bergamot is great in the summer.

Post Re: Recommendations for a daily scent from a French house

Divine's L'Homme de Coeur might be the fragrance I'd choose, if I had to wear one fragrance for a longer period of time.

MPG has quite a few wearable scents, for example Racine and Centaure. You might enjoy Racine, it's somewhat similar to Guerlain's Vetiver, I prefer Racine. Baïme is also excellent for warm weather, but it's not for everyone. I don't know why, but there are people, who doesn't want to smell like kitchen or salad. I'm not one of them.

I second l'Eau de l'Artisan by l'Artisan Parfumeur and I would like to add the following:

All French, all very good (and different) and all very suited for everyday usage.