Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Annual Scent Dilemma

I've been gone for quite a while and it's so nice to be back!! I've enjoyed catching up with the threads and really like the new forum for those new to scents.

So, here's where I'm at with my fragrances as of now, and I need some help!! I managed to get through the summer with Allure and D&G (red cap).......seems I leaned more towards Allure for some reason. Neither knocked my socks off. Now I'm doing the Coco/Shalimar/Fendi/L'elephant things.....and they don't seem to be working either.

I was in ULTA the other day sniffing around and came across Amarige (I know, love/hate kinda frag). Anyway, I sprayed for nostalgia's sake and hubby went "wait, what was that!?" For some reason he really liked the immediate top notes and bought me a gift set for Christmas.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why the WOW scents that worked before and got many compliments, just are not working anymore. Got the Amarige just for the presence ya know?

The chypres are turning sour on me, the orientals make me feel like I'm in an oven, Shalimar just stays powder from start to finish on me now..........I'm not willing to go back and revisit anything from the past because none of it is making me swoon anymore.........and worse yet, not getting perfume compliments.

Mystere, Coco, Knowing, Paloma Picasso were great scents at one time on me. All the frags I own used to work. Maybe hormones, who knows?! Or maybe I've gotten better at picking apart fragrances so I'm *gasp* going to have to move on to the niche market?

I think I'm going to have to go to something like Caron, Parfum Sacre? A sweet spice maybe, with some floral? What is it in the Amarige my hubby is detecting that is good on me? I'm at a loss and am all over the place with this. I know it all sounds silly to many, but I know you guys understand my dilemma.
    Last edited by Magnolia; 28th November 2006 at 07:33 PM.

Default Re: Annual Scent Dilemma

I'm sorry - can't help you with Amarige as it smells awful on me... If you'd like to try a light spicy niche fragrance I suggest Etro Etra.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go check out the notes

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome home, Mag. The niche market is so tremendous--well, you know, once you go niche, you're off the leash!

Dare we ask the indelicate? How, er um, old are you? Don't know how much stock to put in hormonal influences, but certainly our tastes change over time. Remember, this isn't a problem, this is an opportunity!
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and thanks for the welcome back Quarry!

Yep, I do think I'm slipping into the "premenopausal" phase. Yikes!! I honestly believe it's not my personal taste that has changed as I enjoy all the scents out of the bottle..........just unfortunately not ON me anymore

Then again, actually getting to know my scents better, well, it could be making me a tad snobbier LOL!

I'm thinking if I could take L'Elephant with a little Amarige, I may have something. That's why I'm comtemplating Parfum Sacre.

Any thoughts?

I did check out the notes for Etro/Etra.....sounds promising too

Red face Re: Annual Scent Dilemma

When I went through menopause, just recently, big, big, changes happened with my skin chemistry. I used to be able to wear anything that I liked. Now, though, I have to make sure to put the frag on my skin and wear it for at least a day. It also helps big time to put on cream, lotion or oil first. Maybe not everyone reacts this way, but I have been truly amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Welcome home, Mag. The niche market is so tremendous--well, you know, once you go niche, you're off the leash!

Dare we ask the indelicate? How, er um, old are you? Don't know how much stock to put in hormonal influences, but certainly our tastes change over time. Remember, this isn't a problem, this is an opportunity!
    Love this phrasing, the bit about the opportunity! Yes indeed!
    I see myself, too, now wanting to sample these intriguing Creeds and captivating Serge Lutens, oh no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I wanted to add is that my scent perception changed dramatically during my childbearing/breastfeeding times and my entry into the fourth decade...ahh, GLORIOUS decade she is at that!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

My fragrances turn on me, or I turn on them. At lot of what I experience (and this is my own POV and in no way meant to be scientific or conclusive or applicable to anyone else) is my ability to notice one thing more than another during any given wearing, and sometimes that thing, the THING that rears its ugly head, is so off-putting that I can't go near the scent for months.

Then I sell it, and then I repurchase it and we have another spell of happy accommodation. I notice that (again, my POV only) it has to do with what I've been wearing in generalized phases. For instance, if I'm fiddling about with vanillic scents (Shalimar, Jicky, etal), I cannot stand moss, because I can pick it out immediately as The Foreigner. This results in fragrance xenophobia and an unwillingness on my part to accept and embrace The Foreigner's customs. If I've been wearing soft rose scents (Stella, Mille et Une Rose, Ecume de Rose), gardenia becomes a shrill harridan against whose wretched dramatics I must do battle.

Since I've been ridiculed for this analysis, let me again point out that this is my personal experience only, and is a factor of my wearing scents in groups or phases. Presently I am in an anti-rubber mode and I can sniff it out a mile away. Next month I will be wearing the presently dreaded Gaultier2 and repudiating datura.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia
    I'm thinking if I could take L'Elephant with a little Amarige, I may have something. That's why I'm comtemplating Parfum Sacre.

Any thoughts?

I did check out the notes for Etro/Etra.....sounds promising too
    I'd also recommend Etro Etra as long as you don't hate strong cardamom in a scent.

Amarige (sweet floral) = Gardenia, Plum, tuberose - your husband probably loves the juicy fruit & florals in the opening (plum, cassis, tangerine, orange flower, violet & rosewood)

Try:

Byblos EDP (blue bottle)
    Cacharel LouLou
    Lancome Poeme
    YSL Paris EDP
    YSL Yvresse (Champagne)
    JPG Classique EDP
    Van Cleef & Arpels Birmane
    Estee Lauder Spellbound
    Estee Lauder Knowing
    Dinner by Bobo
    Guerlain Mahora EDP
    Serge Lutens Arabie
    5* Fragrance Company Royal Secret II - divine layered over L'Elephant
    Rochas Femme
    Boucheron Jaipur
    Reichenbach Golden Drop
    Trussardi Python
    Chopard Mira Bai
    Serge Lutens Cedre
    Sonia Rykiel Sonia Rykiel (classic red jus)
    YSL Nu EDT
    Dior Addict Eau Fraiche
    YSL Opium EDT
    Moschino Moschino (classic)

Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    I notice that (again, my POV only) it has to do with what I've been wearing in generalized phases. For instance, if I'm fiddling about with vanillic scents (Shalimar, Jicky, etal), I cannot stand moss, because I can pick it out immediately as The Foreigner. This results in fragrance xenophobia and an unwillingness on my part to accept and embrace The Foreigner's customs. If I've been wearing soft rose scents (Stella, Mille et Une Rose, Ecume de Rose), gardenia becomes a shrill harridan against whose wretched dramatics I must do battle.

Yes, exactly. Gardenia vs. Rose is a battle close to my heart! I came here looking for rose scent perfection, sniffed around and took off with Gardenia. I found it took some weeks of not wearing kai before I really appreciated the nuances in my last winter's roses. What a funny little brain I have! I suppose it's like the taste buds (since isn't smell partly taste?) in that one gets used to certain things -- a peach is lovely and sweet unless you drink a cola with it.

I think the right time to go niche is exactly now for you Magnolia. The time when nothing in a department store smells "new" to you, nothing excites you or even raises your eyebrows. Why not?
    Last edited by Shycat; 29th November 2006 at 03:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all of the info.!!
    I just KNEW this would not sound silly to any of you.

I still don't have quite the "nose" to pick everything apart but I'm getting there. Until then, I'll borrow your noses

I have noticed my skin is drier these days due to hormonal changes, so I guess an unscented lotion is in order now.

Moondeva: those are all great suggestions. I know I can't do Knowing again.....keep trying it and it just doesn't have the effect it once did, how sad. Dior Addict has such a slight presence on me.....no sillage whatsoever, though it's "pleasant". It's so funny you mentioned Royal Secret. I just saw it the other day at (I think it was Walgreen's) or Ulta maybe. Royal Secret and Bakir were two of my Mom's fave scents.

I have to say this time of year always brings about memories of my Mom and fragrance was a great love of hers. She taught me lots and I really miss having her around. (just a side note here, not trying to bring anyone down!!) That being said I guess I'll forever be in pursuit of that special, elusive fragrance that like my Mom, people will equate with ME. (ie my own daughter) I miss the smell of my Mom, though her scents don't necessarily make good scents for me. A great scent for her was Ivoire/Balmain but I personally haven't tried it as of yet. Maybe I'm just looking for my Mom, and of course will never find her, though I know I'll refresh my memory of her and I guess that's what I'm trying to keep alive: her memory. OK, done with all that. (jeez, never thought scent could lead to psychoanalysis!!) Sorry.

So, I guess I need to get some decants before I drop even more $$$$ and end up being perfume poor LOL.

Does anyone else find there aren't many people to share this obsession with "IRL"? Seems to me most just want to head to the mall, get the newest, hottest thing and don't really pay attention to how it smells on them. Ok, just answered my own question.........no, not everyone is so obsessed.

So, where is a good spot to purchase some samples/decants. I know there's a swap on here, but I really don't have anything much to reciprocate.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Annual Scent Dilemma

thanks so much for this topic! i was just going to post a question on this theme. i would like to get some perfume for my mother, who is in her 70's. the problem is, pretty much as long as i can remember, she has complained about perfume 'turning awful' on her.(she went through 'the change' when i was a tween). she used to wear L'Air du Temps when she was younger - my father brought it to her from Europe. i gave her a sample last year, but i guess it 'turned awful' on her. i thought maybe i'd try to round up some samples for her to try in the comfort of her home - a sniffing trip to the department store could be depressing.

I personally am not into florals at all, so could anyone suggest some things she might like to try? Especially you "experienced" ladies.

thanks!