Code of Conduct
    Maryrose

Default Suggestions for a rose fragrance?

Stella doesn't work on me. Does this make it likely that other rose fragrances won't work on me either? I'm reading good things about Fleurs de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed. Are there any others you all would recommend? I don't want old lady. I want romantic and gorgeous, but not too simple. Something with some nuance.

Default Re: Suggestions for a rose fragrance?

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Une Rose by Edition de Parfum Frederic Malle
    Lipstick Rose by Edition de Parfum Frederic Malle
    Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

Those are my favorites rose scents!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Very good suggestions from aubrgene.

Diptyque - L'Ombre dans l'Eau
    Montale - Aoud Damascus

You could also try:

Rose Absolue - Annick Goutal
    Sa Majesté la Rose - Serge Lutens
    Dia - Amouage
    Wishlist is pointless.

I'm also looking for a rose fragrance...I love fleur de the rose bulgare by Creed. I need to save for it!

One of my favourites is Agent Provocateur

Voleur de Roses keeps getting better and better. YOu start smelling new things in it and hoping no one notices how much you smell your wrists. Pretty fab stuff!

Very good suggestions so far
    These are the rose fragrances that I like

L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Montale Aoud Queen Roses
    Montale Aoud Rose Petals (softer than Queen Roses)
    Montale Black Oud (not very black at all but rather a bright but deep coloured rose)
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk has roses well blended into it (one of my favorite musks)

at last I can make a recommendation from the few I have sampled:

narciso rodriquez for her, not overtly rosy, but subtle , sexy and dusky musky

parfum sacre - myrhh and incensy, reminds me of dried crushed rose petals in the back of a church with sun streaming through the stained glass - the scent embraces you when you wear it...peace inducing

it's only two, I haven't tried very many...I go slow.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Beware the oud note. It's acquired taste, I think, and quite medicinal. What do you mean by 'old lady?' Try to think of some other way to describe what you want to avoid- powdery? heavy, ambery, perfumy? rose/violet combos?
    (Besides, we have elder women members who have...feelings, basically.)

Nahema by Guerlain would be a good one to try. I've got 16 and soon to be 17 rose soliflores, and they are all different, says me! I've tried MANY more than that, starting out with a rose sampler pack from ebay.

Good luck!

I just got some samples for my darling wife. Une Rose by Malle was the absolute standout. She just did not take to (non-rose) Mitsouko or Angelique Encens. Personally I like them, but I can see where she is coming from. They are very much 'of their time'.

But Une Rose has complexity, sweetness and darkness. I think it has a distinct violet note (which I love). It really projects but it isn't overpowering. Basically, it is sensational on her.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Overcome By Fumes

YSL Paris
    Annick Goutal Ce Soir ou Jamais
    Paula Dorf Zita
    Guerlain Rosa Magnifica

These are a few nice rose gems that shouldn't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    YSL Paris
    Annick Goutal Ce Soir ou Jamais
    Paula Dorf Zita
    Guerlain Rosa Magnifica

These are a few nice rose gems that shouldn't break the bank.
    Eh??? What is this Zita you speak of? I see it's in our directory, but no notes or reviews.

Post Re: Suggestions for a rose fragrance?

I second LV Musk, it's very romantic, well made, gorgeus, some might say old ladyish also

Still easily worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    I second LV Musk, it's very romantic, well made, gorgeus, some might say old ladyish also

Still easily worth a try.
    I agree. LV Musk is one of my favorite scents by far. Though not a true musk scent, it has a beautiful rose note that blends down to a sweet powdery accord. Definitely unisex if you ask me.

Parfum Sacré is gorgeous and complex. Great review in the directory by Ayala.

Etro Via Verri hasn't been mentioned. One of the best Etros, lacking the frequent slightly synthetic touch. A rose for autumn, sepia colors, crumbling memories of past love, Jacques Brel...

Czech&Speake No.88 of course. Instant love affair with this one. Also more of the pale nocturnal school.

I second Voleur, fresh off the sample, this is magic stuff as well.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryrose
    Stella doesn't work on me. Does this make it likely that other rose fragrances won't work on me either? I'm reading good things about Fleurs de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed. Are there any others you all would recommend? I don't want old lady. I want romantic and gorgeous, but not too simple. Something with some nuance.
    Stella didn't work on me (started almost like a fresh rose, which was nice, but than turned disappointingly chemical like many other modern fruity florals).

I usually like darker rose scents (suggestions to follow in a few lines), but for lighter rose scents I recommend:

Ce Soir ou Jamais (Annick Goutal)
    Rosebud (from my own collection)
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=48

For darker roses (with a heavier base, or with spices), my favourites are:

Parfum Sacre (Caron) - with pepper, incense, myrrh and the most perfect and luxurious dry down that is powdery vanilla and musk. This perfume is really special to me, and I like to wear it almost exclusively on Winter nights. When I wake up in the morning the dry down is so divine (and you don't need to wear anything for a long time... It has the most amazing lasting power without being in the least overpowering).

Agent Provocateur - roses with saffron, coriander, and a base of musk and vetiver. It starts a bit old fashioned, in a bombshell manner, and than dries down to a sublime musky scent. I find it very wearable, in most occasions, weathers, etc.
    here is a link to my review of it on my SmellyBlog:
    http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/i-spy.html

Nuit de Noel (Caron) - dark mossy rose. I don't find it to be all the Christmas-y, but I like it all the same. The Mousse de Saxe base note is heavenly. Rich and elusive. There is nothing ordinary about Nuit de Noel... I highly recommend the parfum over the EDP.

N'Aimez Que Moi (Caron) - again, in parfum form. This is floral, but very dark. There are violets and the mysterious Caron base. It's stunning.

And from my own collection, Ayala Moriel Parfums, I would like to recommend these two:

Fete d'Hiver
    Very wintery, and to me it feels like a powdery snow. Rose with incense, gardenia, allspice, nutmeg, orange, and amber.
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=24

Megumi
    Complemented by jasmine, over a woody chypre base and a hint of spice.
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=70

Song of Songs
    here it is accompanied by Biblical resins, incense and balsams as well as saffron.
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=55

Sweet and powdery roses:
    My favourite for this category are -

Tocade
    Light, clean and linear in a charming way. Bergamot, rose, orris, magnolia, amber, musk and vanilla
    http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/tocade.html

Lipstick Rose (Frederic Malle)
    Roses and violets and very old fashioned
    http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/...tick-rose.html

Bvlgari pour Femme
    Rose, violet, vanilla

Nahema (Guerlain)
    Dark sweet rose, with vanilla and peach.

Cabaret
    Sweet yet dark and complex. This smells very much like Rahat Loukum (aka Turkish Delight - the rosewater scented Middle Easter confection) and is very sensual with a bold animalic musk, sweet amber, vanilla, orris and magnolia.http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=67
    Last edited by Ayala; 24th November 2006 at 03:19 PM.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

lutens rose de nuit is different, difficult to obtain though (although I know someone who will be bringing some back in 2007!)

do women ever wear Czeck and Speake no 88? for me it's the only rose I know I can wear. but .. . it's pretty butch...

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    But Une Rose has complexity, sweetness and darkness. I think it has a distinct violet note (which I love). It really projects but it isn't overpowering. Basically, it is sensational on her.
    I loooove Une Rose -- just a wonderful openning and evolution. I could wear it everyday except for the slow lovely drydown -- coming back from lunch every day smelling like wine dreggs and musk is probably not a good career move ;-)

Nahema is lovely, and Rose Barbare is another great Guerlain rose, if hard to find -- it has a more conventional top note, but a lovely dark, spicy rose drydown.