Code of Conduct

Default Goutal: de Sud vs. d'Hadrien

OK -- don't try this at home.....
    At Nordstrum one day, I was able to spray one on one wrist, and the other on the other wrist. and....you guessed it, i forgot which was which.

They started out fairly similar, however one was more like eau sauvage or clinique tailoring for men, retaining a sharpness to it for a while, while the other started to soften up and got a warm orange accord happening (reminded of orange tonic by azzaro, but better).

anyone know which was which?
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Default Re: Goutal: de Sud vs. d'Hadrien

I think the sharp one was the Hadrien. I find that it maintains a spikey cool all the way through while de Sud is much warmer

Geez I was about to say that the first one was the Sud, but then you started talking about oranges and I second guessed myself.

I just got Sud and it says orange chypre to me. Like orange eau savage.

I'd probably still say the first one.

I'm almost regretting getting the Sud though, not because it is not to my liking...actually quite the opposite. Confused yet? Let me explain...

I had originally got turned on to the Sud because it smelled similar to an all-time favorite of mine, Trophee Lancome. Well....now the problem is that I actually find the two similar enough to only own one, and I'm not giving up my Trophee. In fact, the Trophee is more of a scentimental thing for me, so I wouldn't be surprised if most people liked the Sud more.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I'm pretty sure the one you think smells like Eau Sauvage is Hadrien. Sud smells nothing like Eau Sauvage, and is more soapy and minty in my opinion. Hope this helps.

double post! ooops

Sud has a lot in common with Orange Vert by Hermes. Hadrien is lemons and ylang ylang and cyprus. Hadrien is very unique and fresh with lots of lemon goodness.

I say, just go back and test them again.

In the "similar fragrances" thread, Eau Du Sud and Eau Savauge are said to be twins. I thought they shared that same chypre quality and immediately grouped them together as well. I've never smelled Hadrien though so I can't say for sure that they are more similar than the Hadrien/Savauge combo.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

L'Hadrian smells like grapefruit and eau Sud smells like oranges. Which one did you like better? Personally, I used to wear Eau de L'Hadrian fifteen years ago then moved on to Folavril and Eau Sud. I also like Annick Goutal's Vetiver. Since then, I've moved on to other houses. For some reason, Annick Goutal does not have the same panache as it once did. Hopefully, her daughter can revive the house.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS