Code of Conduct

Default Vitage Guerlain Colognes

Last Sunday I saw two unusual editions of known Guerlain frags:

Habit Rouge: Certainly 3.4 oz. It looked as if the bottle was clad in brown leather, like a whisky flask! I suppose, that is a vintage or special edition. Has anyone ever seen such a bottle?
    Vetiver: This may be the vintage Vetiver. It has a black or dark green label. The juice is of a darker yellow, not light green, and the bottle is similar to the one for Heritage. My Vetiver is still 95% full, but if the vintage V. is significantly different (stronger maybe, or less pleasant) I might like to buy it.
    They sell for 30$ each. I wonder what your comments may be?
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: Vitage Guerlain Colognes

Don't know about the Habit Rouge. But the Vetiver you're describing is the original formulation.

It is indeed more earthy and stronger than the new formulation. Purists will turn thier noses up at the new version, but I like them both about equally (I own them both). The new version (ribbed bottle, green juice) is easier to wear and I find myself reaching for it more often than the old version.

I don't know about the Habit Rouge for sure, but the new edp is in a red fake leather wrap, like a whisky flask as you describe. I wouldn't call it brown, so indeed the one you've seen might be an older release.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Vintage Guerlain Colognes

The Vetiver is an older bottle than the new horizontally striped semi-frosted bottle but probably not the original packaging.

Consider this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUERLAIN-5OZ-VIN...QQcmdZViewItem

Red label Vetiver!

I'm with Chris on the HR, I bought the EDP for my father and it had that fake leather wrap, only dark red, not brown. I've also seen a vintage Vetiver bottle like the one you describe, with the black label. It smelled a bit different than the current version, more minty, if I remember well. I'd say get them both, for $30 it's a steal.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Simon Moon, Chris, Docluv, and Gus:
    Thank you for your input. That's all I wanted to hear! The 'leather' could have been red, actually. I didn't see it so well (poor lighting).
    So...if I am lucky I have more to report on Monday. Yes, the prices are great! They still don't fit in the year-end budget.
    I will have to give up Fumerie Turque, or one of my friends...
    Last edited by narcus; 29th November 2006 at 05:39 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Grab the vintage Vetiver quick!

Red face Re: Vitage Guerlain Colognes

The Vetiver I remember from about 10 years ago came in a tall bottle, dark green label, and green and gold plastoc cap.
    Is this the original packaging?
    I agree that the fragrance I owned back then was more robust than the new Vetiver (ribbed bottle) The newer stuff is more citrussy and lighter. Not as earthy as I remember.....

Cheers;
    B.G.

Default Re: Vintage Guerlain Colognes

Fourteen days later and I have them both. Thank you all for your encouragement and expert advice! This is what I think now:

Vetiver : I believe the main difference is in the top notes. Soemebody may have instructed the modifiers to make it more winning for those who do not know what they are buying, and for wives and girls screening the cologne counter for a gift! The fresh start like in Eau Imperial is actually quite misleading.

The old version does not have that, or not as much, and a true vetiver lover appreciates that. His pleasure begins right from the start. I find the rest quite similar. For my rather wooden nose (sometimes) the real blessing of the old version is in a higher concentration of the main ingredient. In direct comparison, the new version seems to have been watered down a little. We call that 'stretched'. Positively expressed, the reissue could also be called 'fresh, ideal for the summer, and very universal'. But the old version is a warmer, more authentic, green version of a vetiver, not a 'please-them all'!

Habit Rouge EDP : I have never been a fan of so-called oriental perfumes. I like heavy scents in big doses, but they must be somewhat spicy or dry. Heavy and sweet is just not for me. So I was hesitant, but there was no chance to try this in advance and had to be a blind purchase (semi-blind for me as a BN dependent ). No regrets!! This one does not appear to be particularly sweet. It is less less rouge than Antaeus (another borderline frag in my wardrobe)! I am very pleased with that. I had always felt left out as seemingly the only person who didn't care for HR. Maybe it's indeed the agarwood that makes all the difference. It does have a sobering effect on me, also in other combinations.

(I'll keep my eyes open, if there will be more bottles from the same supplier. I am aware that both are much sought after).
    Last edited by narcus; 15th December 2006 at 09:13 AM.