Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default R e m i n d e r ::: Saturday is our next Sniff-n-Speak

Tie on your bib because the first Saturday in December is our GOURMAND-themed day. Ladle on your favorite foody scent or dip into something new. Then join us here to discuss what's on your menu and why you like it.

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)
    March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green (2007: emphasis on vetiver)
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere or men's fragrances
    October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: R e m i n d e r ::: Saturday is our next Sniff-n-Speak

Thanks Quarry for the reminder...
    Now, I need a list of gourmand scents, the first which comes to my mind should be Angel.
    I have a question here, do all the vanilla scents i.e. L'Artisan's Vanilla qualify as a gourmand scent?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut
    Now, I need a list of gourmand scents, the first which comes to my mind should be Angel.
    I have a question here, do all the vanilla scents i.e. L'Artisan's Vanilla qualify as a gourmand scent?
    If it makes you feel like you could eat it if it was a piece of food in front of you - it's IN !
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut
    Right-o, Moondeva! No Perfume Police here--If you have something that makes you want to lick your wrists, who's to say it's not gourmandy?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

This could be fun, but I honestly don't think I own a gourmand scent

My daughter has Britney Spears "Fantasy" (the pink bottle)......I think it contains "cupcake essence" LOL....in all honestly it smells great on her. Other than that, I have nothing, *I think*

Hints please?

Goumands are not my favourites, and I thought I didn't own them. But if Angel is a gourmand scent, I'll be there on Saturday! Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia
    This could be fun, but I honestly don't think I own a gourmand scent

My daughter has Britney Spears "Fantasy" (the pink bottle)......I think it contains "cupcake essence" LOL....in all honestly it smells great on her. Other than that, I have nothing, *I think*

Hints please?

Yes! Fantasy works, I think it has Cupcake accord in it and just makes me want to eat something sweet!

Hanae Mori ET for men smells so foody, so does my Rochas Man, all my friends say it smells like vanilla!

A*Man comes to mind right away, all that strong chocolate and carmel... Ehh I hate that scent thought.

Question Re: R e m i n d e r ::: Saturday is our next Sniff-n-Speak

Choices choices!

Shall I go for cherries (POTL)....or peaches and mango (Casmir)...or "orange juice and carrots" (!!!) from an as yet untried sample of Lancome Aromafit (Thank you Quarry!! :bounce

It's still warm here at the beach (70sF)

If it turns cold and I need chocolate and nutmeg - WHERE SHOULD I GO?? Still have time to make it to Marshall's or Target!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

For those good eggs still scrambling for a scent to wear for Saturday, choose a favorite foody note--chocolate, tea, coffee, vanilla, milk, flour, sugar, fruit (apple, fig, pomegranate, pear, orange, blackberry, raspberry, watermelon ... you get the idea), and search the directory here at basenotes and at makeupalley.com for a list of frags that include the note(s) you like.

I'm leaning toward coffee myself--Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe or Bond's New Haarlem.

And I never thought of tea... I own at least 3 tea-fragrances AND Angel. Could I be a secret, hidden, gourmand-fan?

I was given an unopened sample of Angel which I have never tried.
    Perhaps I'll give this one a go and find out what all the broo haa haa is about it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Ever eager to participate I decided to attempt a gourmand weekend to make a real 'occasion' of the event. I have way too many delicious mouthwatering blends to only wear one perfume for this occasion.

Serge Lutens Rahat Loukhoum (sample)
    This is a very distinct, well blended perfume that is a true gustratory delight. My first impression, when sniffed from the vial, was "Mr Kipling's Cherry Bakewell". It is also my last. Sadly this is, for me, a very juvenile, one note perfume that does not even have great lasting power to redeem it. It is pretty and feminine but nothing like any Rahat Loukhoum / Turkish Delight, I have ever eaten. Maybe I will discover more levels in it when worn in the heat / warmer weather but as with most things full of processed sugar I was left sadly empty and dissatisfied after indulging in this scent. I need more complexity and substance in my scents especially my gourmands so I shall enjoy the sample and move on. Funny aside is that I like to layer my perfumes for greater longevity and I was surprised to find that my almond & honey scented body lotion layered with my black cherry and musk body spray actually recreated the SL Rahat Loukhoum scent on me to perfection. Lucky me - the 'scent' of Rahat Loukhoum at a fraction of the price of a bottle. The irony is that I am not enamoured of this coveted Serge Lutens enough to care.

Il Profumo Vanille Bourbon (sample)
    Now this is a bit strange - Il Profumo do a scent called Chocolat that smells nothing like chocolate. It is all fruit, amber and patchouli - closer to Prada Classic, Chopard Wish and TBS Patchouli then any true gourmand. Then there is this Vanille Bourbon that actually smells like you have recently being smearing / wearing milk chocolate on strategic pulse points. Another subtle, one note, linear scent on me, but I do find this a lot more intriguing then the previous perfume. A true comfort scent it is simple and snuggly and not for wearing if you want to be treated like an adult or taken even remotely seriously.

more to follow later...
    Last edited by moondeva; 3rd December 2006 at 04:24 AM.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I had 4 spritzes of Angel... The whole Hong Kong island can get a whiff of my sillage (laughing hysterically).
    I still haven't recover from the flu yet. I will put some more peace of mind on just to acknowlege the existance of Angel.

Okay, I am going to post an impression, early morning, it is past midnight here.
    I applied Angel around 9pm last night, one spritz was so strong that I had to scrub it off. But I was unsuccessful and it is still here with me. My first impression was mild dislike, but it sort of grows on you. Um, maybe because you CAN"T GEt IT OFF OF YOU! No , really, there is a peppery dark warmth about it that I kinda like. Unfortunately I have some impression that keeps coming in my head when I think of this perfume. It is of Daryl Hannah and her role as a stripper named Angel in the movie "Dancing at the Blue Iguana." Now, I actually liked this movie very much, and thought the acting was really stellar, but I keep associating this perfume with the six inch heels and feather boas that Angel pranced around in. So that is a bit of a block for me.
    Anyway, scent wise, I am smelling sharply sweet balanced with peppery dark spice. I like it enough that I might give it another try, maybe later this weekend.
    I have samples of SL Arabie and Keiko Mecheri Loukouhm lined up for later.
    (hee hee , just read Coconut';s post... I smell you too, honey!)
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

My gourmand-day is with Angel.

Ralph Hot is my choose for this gourmand-day. It´s more fresh than Angel. Mocha Cream, Fresh Milk, Vanilla and Mandarine makes it a gourmand, I do hope!

I sniffed at the bodylotion of Ralph Hot yesterday, and that one is really, really gourmand, a little too much for my taste. I will not get it. But the EdP is very nice, and pleasant to wear. I have recieved compliments for it.

But Angel is the first gourmand frag ever, so I have one spot of Angel on, too. This one I didn´t like at first, but I have learned to like it. It is not easy to wear, I don´t like to wear during day-time, but I will put it on for the evening, to celebrate the gourmand-day.

Have a good gourmand-day, everyone!

Rahät Loukoum from Serge Lutens (and already finishing the fourth full bottle)

'Love it' is an understatement.

Notes: (thanks to wonderful Bela on MUA): White Almond, Cherry Kernel, White Honey, Musk, Vanilla

Later this day: Luctor et Emergo from POTL. For me this is Rahät Loukoum playing in the grass with cherries behind the ears.

And when I go to sleep a few drops of BPAL's Dana O'Shee. Always good for dreams about food, it seems
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I didn't think I'd find a gourmand scent that suited my moods today, but then I came to think of my sample of Keiko Mecheri - Gourmandises, and this seemed like the perfect choice. So, at the moment Gourmandises is finishing off my "doing laundry and tidying up" look of the day (confy-skirt, Curious George T-shirt and knitted socks). Sorry scent if that sounds like an insult, but it's not meant as one.

Gourmandises, despite the name, is to me much less gourmand than Loukhoum, but it's still a foody scent. The notes listed at the website are: praline, powdery notes, rose petal jam, saffron and ambrette. I'd sum it up as saffron spiced rose-jelly, and I am not sure where to look for the pralines. Rose is at the center. Rose notes, when they develope in surroundings with even the slightest bit of sweetness, often can become a little cloying on me if I am not careful with how I apply it. I prefer dabbing these scents to some concentrated points intead of spraying them on larger areas. The listing of "powdery notes" puzzle me a little. Sweetened rose notes often dry down to either "soapy" or "powdery", but this one rather seems to chrystalize.
    While it's neither very loud or complex, it has got it's own little excentric personality. I like it.

I chose one of my top 3 favorites, Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant, for Gourmand Day. This is a controversial scent, is it gourmand or no?? But for me, a habitue of Indian restaurants and amateur Indian cook, the answer is a definite yes. Clove, mango, caraway, vanilla, yummy spices and I swear there's coconut in there, too. Just can't get enough of this Indian spice market scent. I'm just glad the nose who created it didn't add asofoetida!!

I try to listen to the Universe.

Thursday, after walking the beach and dining Chinese I dropped my friend off at her house at which point she gave me (among other things - she is always giving me things) a bottle of a perfume she had been given and that she didn't like.

I sniff. Hmmmnnn! I am in a palm thatched open food bar on the Magens Bay beach in St. Thomas - hot sun, white sand, steel band, drinks with little parasols! Pineapple - mango? - peach!!!(And -as it turns out - some flowers and spices too.)

So, instead of the much- contemplated Casmir or Luctor et Emergo or the untried Aromafit.....it's Io today!!!

Mooo!

(May refresh with Casmir anyway! More peaches and mango. All the previous posts have made me ravenous! :bounce:

Later: Some pineapple put in an appearance and a quick whiff of ....lily? But it turned cold and I was glad for the regenerative and its amber, sandalwood and patchouli! powers of Casmir Back from out of Egypt!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 2nd December 2006 at 09:45 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm not a gourmand fan by nature, but I'm definitely up for experimentation. I've also never tried anything by L'Artisan Parfumeur before, so I've been hoarding two unopened samples for this month's Sniff day.

Started the day with L'Artisan Mandarine Tout Simplement. According to OsMoz, Top notes: Green Mandarin, Orange, Ginger; Middle: Yellow Mandarin, Orange, Frangipani Blossom; Base: Red Mandarin Orange, Moist Wood. It opens with a lovely, uncannily accurate blast of fresh-cut orange, and then seems to disappear in the time it would take to eat a slice. I keep applying more to the same wrist, it keeps disappearing. No ginger or wood that I can detect. A third of the way through my 1 ml sample it starts to retain a very faint fresh/floral note. Very,very faint, but nice.

I move on to the main course: L'Artisan Bois Farine. According to BN, Top note: fennel seed; Middle Iris; Base: White Cedar, Guaiac wood, Sandalwood, Benzoin. This sounds right up my woods-loving alley, if not especially foody, but the reviews say this smells like nuts, and I love nuts. Bois Farine opens with a very distinct peanut butter top note (with a fleeting whiff of vodka on the side). A single application has much more staying power than MtS, and more projection. It's calming down now, getting creamier, less like peanuts. I'm beginning to get a vague sense of where the iris fits in the composition, though it is still distinctly nutty. I'm still not picking up much of the wood notes, so I'm going to give this more time.

I have an afternoon snack planned -- Ineke Chemical Bonding (iced orange spice tea -- I don't get much of the basenotes) and something that smells like cinnamon crumb cake if I can remember which one it is -- L'Eau de Charlotte maybe? Or something vanilla...
    Last edited by coumarin; 2nd December 2006 at 05:04 PM.

I'm not a gourmand wearer. It is simply too much torture for me to smell like something sweet and wonderful that makes me hungry. However, I found one that does not venture too far into gourmand territory, so I can wear it without gnawing my arm off:
    Film Noir by Ayala Moriel. The notes are simply chocolate, coffee, and patchouli. I smell lots of dark, rich chocolate and, amazingly enough, earth. It smells like the bag of cocoa mulch that I spread on my rose garden ever spring. Delicious, but with a non-edible charactersitic. I can focus on the chocolate or the patchouli. This is the best gourmand scent for me.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Purplebird, thanks for giving us the first review of Film Noir!

Tao, did I see the word Io? I'm wearing Carthusia Io Capri today!

This is the scent that feels most like wearing my own skin--tea and fig with a brief visit of mint near the beginning. As it settles in, it smells so natural, not at all perfumey. If I concentrate on the tea note, I can see a steaming mug and sense just the sweetness of the fig. If I concentrate on the fig, the tea recedes into the background. It's not like any other fragrance I know, except the fig is vaguely reminiscent of Mathias L'Eau de Figue, which is sweet and heavy. This is the only scent I could spray with abandon, but I don't have to because it's got a perfect cloud of sillage. Ironically, it's the only scent that my husband really doesn't care for. It's my turn-to frag for the dog days of August, but it suits today's task, which is snow shoveling. The flacon is one of my favorites, too, with its squarish glass, faceted cap, and old-world label. LOVE IT ALL THE WAY AROUND!

Morning ladies

I'm wearing Britney Spears/Fantasy (it's my daughter's).....it is surely gourmand!! All I smell is cupcake/sweet vanilla right now.

There's a spice waiting to come out but I can't put my finger on it right now. All in all it's really a nice fragrance, mostly for the younger crowd though.

So far so good!!

I too was wondering if L'elephant would be considered gourmand!! It's foody to me with the cinnamon/spice.

I'm spraying it on my other wrist.....along with Fantasy on the other. Interesting combo I say

I'm wearing Sake eau de parfum from Fresh. The notes, according to Sephora, are as follows:

Langsat Fruit, Grapefruit, Ginger, White Peach Absolue, Lotus Flower, Lily of the Valley, Osmanthus, Vanilla, Musk.

It begins with an incredibly true rendition of sake, sweet, sparkling, and sharp - it honestly does smell as if you had a glass of the stuff under your nose. For a few minutes, Sake could easily be mistaken for one of Demeter's cocktail frangrances. Unlike those scents, however, Sake isn't linear or one-note. As it dries down, I smell a warm, delicate peach note, lightly spiced with ginger. The base (which is my favorite part of the fragrance) has a little vanilla, a lot of musk, and a little something else that smells like sticky rice, of the sort that's used in sushi. This sounds bizarre and off-putting, but it's actually soft and sexy, with a really subtle, lingering glow of sillage.
    Last edited by djuna; 3rd December 2006 at 02:38 AM.

SL Arabie on one wrist,(described by some here as a marvelous spice and date market) and Keiko Mecheri Loukouhm on my inner elbow...yum!
    Deciding what to wear to a holiday party tonight in keeping with the gourmand theme...the Keiko might win...that or Aimez Moi with its luscious licorice and tobacco.
    I tried some fig samples last night, (more like wee hours of the morn) and while I was immediately delighted with the dewey freshness of Phylosykos, for example, it quickly disappeared into my skin, which was disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by djuna
    I'm wearing Sake eau de parfum from Fresh. The notes, according to Sephora, are as follows:

Langsat Fruit, Grapefruit, Ginger, White Peach Absolue, Lotus Flower, Lily of the Valley, Osmanthus, Vanilla, Musk.

It begins with an incredibly true rendition of sake, sweet, sparkling, and sharp - it honestly does smell as if you had a glass of the stuff under your nose. This note is missing from the perfume oil, so I think that it's due in large amount to the alcoholic content of the EdP. For a few minutes, Sake could easily be mistaken for one of Demeter's cocktail frangrances. Unlike those scents, however, Sake isn't linear or one-note. As it dries down, I smell a warm, delicate peach note, lightly spiced with ginger. The base (which is my favorite part of the fragrance) has a little vanilla, a lot of musk, and a little something else that smells like sticky rice, of the sort that's used in sushi. This sounds bizarre and off-putting, but it's actually soft and sexy, with a really subtle, lingering glow of sillage. The sensuality of the fragrance is more pronounced in the perfume oil. In fact, the oil is probably superior in terms of pure fragrance to the EdP, but it's also nearly impossible to apply.
    djuna, thanks for this review of sake... I have a tiny bottle of it that came in a gift pack at sephora, and while I have used the soap, the edt version has a shrill soprano note in it which I can't quite articulate (maybe it is the grapefruit?) and which has prevented me thus far from spending too much time with it. Of course it could be the difference between the edt and the edp you are trying. After this review, though, I know I will give it another go soon. btw, The pack came with dry oil (rice?) which has a gentle orange note to it and which is very wearable and easy to layer with other fragrances.

I ended up with CdG Wood Coffee, my favourite of the Sweet Series.

Very rich roasted coffee note teamed with rather exotic choice of notes: cardamom, liquorice, ginger, curry, almond, patchouli and vanilla.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I love gourmand fragrances; in fact my whole month of November's been all gourmands... I've been in great preparations for this event . Only today I don't know what to pick! So excited (hehe).

I think I might make it my delicious and delightful Datura Noir...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Tao, did I see the word Io? I'm wearing Carthusia Io Capri today!

This is the scent that feels most like wearing my own skin--tea and fig with a brief visit of mint near the beginning. As it settles in, it smells so natural, not at all perfumey......This is the only scent I could spray with abandon, but I don't have to because it's got a perfect cloud of sillage. ..... LOVE IT ALL THE WAY AROUND!
    Mine is/was LaPerla Io (Top: Pineapple; Peach; Pink Coriander. Middle: Rose; Tuberose;Ylang Ylang; Helios. Bottom: Cedar; Benzoin; Cinnamon.)

Makes one wonder what the Zeus is going on.

Yours sound GORGEOUS (Whatever everybody else has ordered when you're dining out looks better than what YOU'VE ordered, isn't it?) and I'm a fig lover so ..."I feel a sample coming on....." (continues singing down the hallway to the mailbox. Credit card sobbing in the back ground [stealing from LadyInBlack]}

But this whole thread has made me hungry - and not just for food! :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    djuna, thanks for this review of sake... I have a tiny bottle of it that came in a gift pack at sephora, and while I have used the soap, the edt version has a shrill soprano note in it which I can't quite articulate (maybe it is the grapefruit?) and which has prevented me thus far from spending too much time with it. Of course it could be the difference between the edt and the edp you are trying. After this review, though, I know I will give it another go soon. btw, The pack came with dry oil (rice?) which has a gentle orange note to it and which is very wearable and easy to layer with other fragrances.
    I have to agree with you on the layering... I like Sake quite a bit, mostly because it's so odd and hard to analyze, but like a lot of the Fresh perfumes, it's very light and subtle. I think it's a great scent to layer under... I'm wearing it with Lovely this evening, and may try it with Mitsouko later in the week, because I love the peach heart so much and I rarely if ever smell peach in Mitsouko.

Post Re: R e m i n d e r ::: Saturday is our next Sniff-n-Speak

I have to thank Basenotes for my complete turnaround in liking gourmand scents. I used to be quite limited in the kinds of perfumes that I would even try never mind wear and I had a silly notion that gourmand, or 'foody', scents were too simple and girly for my consideration! The first gourmand that made me think wow! this is amazing was Laura Mercier Tarte Au Citron, which I love but don't have available to try today, boohoo. Yummy lemony custard scent that I really do wish I could eat.
    Today I have been eking out the last sprays from my sample of Vanille Noire Du Mexique which smells so deliciously vanilla/chocolatey in the drydown: it also has rose and jasmine notes listed which I am only really aware of in the opening but I guess they stop Mexique from becoming cloying or sweet. I think anyone who likes the smell of Palmer's Cocoa Butter body lotion would love this scent. While Mexique is on my left arm Noa is on my right and the two complement each other well I think as Noa dries down to a lovely, very soft coffee/musk veil of yumminess. Ironically I don't like the taste of coffee but do love the smell and in Noa it is very gentle indeed. Basenotes has encouraged me to appreciate gourmands and for that I am grateful, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by djuna
    I have to agree with you on the layering... I like Sake quite a bit, mostly because it's so odd and hard to analyze, but like a lot of the Fresh perfumes, it's very light and subtle. I think it's a great scent to layer under... I'm wearing it with Lovely this evening, and may try it with Mitsouko later in the week, because I love the peach heart so much and I rarely if ever smell peach in Mitsouko.
    Wow, offbeat, ginger *and* layerable? I'm definitely going to have to try Sake.
    Last edited by coumarin; 2nd December 2006 at 11:05 PM.

I didn't plan it, but turns out this evening I'm wearing Bond No. 9 Chinatown from a sample. On me, it is predominantly fruity (pineapple? lichi?) and something sweet-spicy (cardamom? cinnamon? both?). I don't have the notes in front of me. It's very sweet and rather linear - hasn't done anything remarkable since application. I quite like it, but I wouldn't shell out any serious dough on it. My husband has just informed me that he doesn't like this one. Gourmands are not his thing, I think. He did like my Mitsouko the other evening, though, which surprised me.

Wanted to wear one of the Vanilles from La Maison de la Vanille, but could not find samples in my mess here. I know they are here, and I know that I have tried and liked Vanille Fleurie de Tahiti and Vanille Noire de Mexique. Oh well.... I am also planning to order all five of them in a Gift Set (5x15ml) to compare side by side.

Anyhow, I was wearing Serendipitous by Serendipity 3 to work today. It was cool and sunny outside, and Thursday night we had a snowstorm here, I suppose it is a perfect scent for colder weathers, can't imagine me wearing it during summer. It is nice and comforting, smells and feels like cocoa with marshmallows floating in it with a hint of orange, just a little bit. I remember Quarry's thread from long time ago "Joy of Cloy", let me tell you: Serendipitous is not cloying at all, although sweet and thick, it is also gentle and soothing.

I do not own TM Angel any more: it found a better and more loving home in Europe.

Blog Entries

Great to see such a good turn out for this event. This is day two of my gourmand weekend and it has been a day of mixed blessings for me (perfumewise):

Trussardi Python (bottle)
    Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Plum; Chocolate, Rose, Jasmine, Cardamom, Nutmeg; Sandalwood, Benzoin, Vanilla
    This is one of my favourite perfumes and one that perfectly fits my current scent trends (cardamom, plum). This is a very underrated gourmand that is surprisingly light and fruity considering its intense list of notes. The mandarin, cardamom and plum dominate in the beginning and seamlessly blended into the sheer sweet floral heart. The cardamom tends to dominate and direct the tone of the scent but the nutmeg, benzoin, vanilla and chocolate smooth and round the sharp edges and enhance the warmth. The key word I would use to describe this scent is translucent. It is not dense or heavy and seems sheer in all its layers. Quite long lasting altjhough only available as an EDT. I actually prefer this in autumn and summer as the chocolate, benzoin and soft spice tend to feature more along with that delicious cardamom tang which in this blend reminds me of cranberry with that bittersweet edge. Today it was more tang then sweet but I think that is due to monthly cycles and other things. But summer or winter this is one of the best gourmand scents out there. A complete original.

Nelly Rodi Scent Factory - Rhum (sample)
    Notes: Rhum, Saffron, Muscade, Styrax, Patchouli, Papyrus, Gaïac, Santal, Vanilla.
    I have a real soft spot for scents with a true 'booze' / 'alcohol' accord, especially notes like rum or whisky - so I was really looking forward to this. I have enjoyed Demeter's Mojito and Mint Julep so was eager to see another's take on the rum note. I was not disappointed it opens with a slight aromatic note reminiscent of that in any barbershop Bay rum blend - balsamic and antiseptic, but soon softened into a recognisable rum note.I was pleasantly surprised that it smelled very similar to the straight rum that I happened to be drinking at the time. But all good things must come to an end and sadly this did - almost too soon. First the blend softened in to balsamic, muscavado sugar touched warm amber and woods which remained linear for a little while before bowing out gracefully. It is, like the Demeters mentioned earlier, a scent experience rather then a wearable perfume. And sadly the lack of longevity left me vaguely disatisfied and wanting more. A nice scent trip, no more, no less and definitely not worth the price tag nor having to buy the whole kit for.

Police Pink Attraction: Eyes for You (bottle)
    Notes: Tangerine, Blackcurrants, Anise, Magnolia, Linden Blossom, Pittesphora (?), Sandalwood, Amber, White Musk.
    This was a great blind buy for me ages ago and a truly unique scent to boot! As with all unique / original perfumes this has now been discontinued but happily is still widely available online. I have been looking for a good time to wear this as it is such a distinct scent. For me it is similar to the schizophrenic, split personality evolution of classics such as Carven Ma Griffe, Guerlain Shalimar, Moschino Classic and Guerlain Jicky. At first it starts out all bright, cartoony fruit - in this case tangerines and blackcurrants with a pinch of anise. This accord translates as pink grapefruit to my nose which is a scent I love and which is unusual to find in a perfume, especially done so well. But even as you are enjoying that tart, softly sulphuric, morning scent the perfume is already morphing. It suddenly becomes much warmer and gourmand with a fascinating hazelnut note! I love this note. I have yet to try Nina Ricci Deci Dela so I do not know how an intended hazelnut accord works in a blend, but if it is anything like the one to be found in Eyes for You, then I will be happy to buy a bottle blind. Finally, on this rainy, wind blown deep winters day I have discovered the perfect time to wear this perfume. On the chilly day the sweetness of the amber woods and musk are tempered and reduced allowing the hazelnut to give the impression of a foody note without been overly gourmand or mealy. The effect is very feminine, complex and surprisingly chic. This is not a scent for a little girly girl despite the pink packaging. Eyes for You is much more urban and savvy then it first appears with is clear pink glass and sleek lines.
    This is a very enjoyable gourmand treat that balances the fine line between comforting and refreshing, brightness and warmth. Great for everyday wear.

Last edited by moondeva; 3rd December 2006 at 04:00 PM.

Just wanted to mention that my husband calls Angel, "Petal", as in..."Oh nooooo! You're not wearing Petal again!" LOL!

I'm SOO sorry I missed this months' Sniff&Speak, since I may well be crowned Queen of Gourmands according to many opinions expressed here and on other threads: just take a look at my wardrobe!
    I can only console myself by thinking that I wouldn't have been able to choose....Un Bois Vanille?....Arabie?....Botrytis?....Ambre Narguilé?....The Exact Friction of Stars (one of the few true gourmands I own IMO)?......and on and on....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black
    I'm SOO sorry I missed this months' Sniff&Speak
    This gives you 11 months to isolate your gourmand choice for next December. In today's mail I received samples of Dinner by Bobo and the new Hermes Elixir de Merveilles. I'm feasting anew!

Quarry, Elixir des Merveilles! Wonderful! Did I mention how much I love that sweet-salty note? Go ahead feasting, it's holiday time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Since I was so brief with Wood Coffee week ago, please bear with my babbling about Angel now...

I first met Angel four years ago. The name and celestial blue sci-fi image had never before interested or tempted me in any way so I had never even bothered to sniff it until then.

The reason why I finally took the plunge was that I had earlier that year joined several fragrance forums and read many heated discussions and controversial reviews about it. In a word, I was curious. I wanted to find out what I would think about it.

The first test-drive was a disaster, a head-on collision. I nearly suffocated in the SWEET, gigantic Sugarplum Fairy cloud and labelled it as "Tinkerbell armed with a HUGE mallet".

But the day after... I woke up in the morning, smelled something otherwordly gorgeous, something like dark, "roasted" chocolate/cocoa and simply had to sniff my wrist. Again and again. And I had to return to Stockmann for another spritz and eventually, to buy a bottle of my own.

What followed was six weeks of exclusive Angel-wearing. Still a record!

Later I have also collected some bath & body products which are nothing less than heavenly.

Angel has ever since the first infatuation been a steady winter staple. I always dig it out in December and fall in love with it again. It's cosy, warm, gentle, quietly seductive. Wearing it feels like being constantly hugged and cuddled.

Smile Re: R e m i n d e r ::: Saturday is our next Sniff-n-Speak

You surprise me lately Tigs, Angel, and Pink Sugar, ha, what next? I love Gourmands myself and I will say my three favorites are CSP Abricot, CSP Vanille, and Hanae Mori. Comtier Sud Pacifique makes a vanilla like nothing else I've found at least not yet. The Almonde is new in the sense that they just brought it back. When I put those on, I could just sniff my arm all day and I do.

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    You surprise me lately Tigs, Angel, and Pink Sugar, ha, what next?
    "Lately"???

I've been wearing Angel since 2002 and fell for Pink Sugar on the first test-drive. Orientals are my greatest love but Gourmands are pretty much a sub-group of Orientals so is it any wonder I love them, too?

I also fell head-over-heels for Pink Sugar, it is one of the more wearable for Asian countries. I seldom smell Angel or vanilla scents here as people think it is quite offensive to leave such a strong sillage.