Code of Conduct

Default Flu season! What to wear when you're sick?

Flu season is upon us. Ironically, I got the flu shot yesterday and today, I'm feeling the full effects of it. What is the point of a vaccine that makes you sick?!?! My head hurts, I'm tired, my body feels weak, my nose is half stuffed, and I don't want to do anything that requires any effort. When I'm sick, I try to wear neutral and fragrances I am already fully familiar with so that I won't form a scent-association between it and being sick.

When I'm sick, I tend to spritz on a citrus fragrance, most notably: Guerlain Vetiver. It's clean, it's fresh, it takes my mind off of my sickness and makes me feel well again. It isn't an overtly pretty or playful scent either, so it doesn't tire you out by urging you to jump around and frollick. It has an earthy vetiver base with a hint of tonka sweetness so it's comforting as well. I swear, the citrus opening clears my nose up, as well.

I also like a white musk when I'm sick. Bvlgari Pour Homme is great when you're sick. It's simple. It's clean. The tea note is very comforting.

The last thing I want to put on is an oriental. This sucks because my bottle of Chergui just came in this afternoon. I put a little bit on and it's great! I'm scared of wearing it though because of fear of a scent-association that might be formed if the first time I wear it is when I'm sick.

Which scents do you put on when you're sick?
    Last edited by myaccolades; 29th November 2006 at 09:55 AM.

Default Re: Flu season! What to wear when you're sick?

I would say, wear nothing.
    Get well soon and wear whatever you like.

I found about the only thing that helps when I'm sick in winter is Ava Luxe's Kretek, (clove cigarette accord). Really peps me up.

Yes, nothing. Because I can't smell them but they are still "there" enough to make me sneeze. Hope you get well soon!

i'm with myaccolades. i wear citrusy, clean smells

Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte, Guerlain Vetiver, Bvlgari PH Extreme, Versace Blue Jeans.

But I go extra easy on the trigger because I always have a heightened sensitivity to everything when I get sick, even if my sniffer is clogged and not working to full capacity.

I usually wear something spicy, sweet or milky; either something with a "burn" or something gentle, cuddly and comfy.

But if I can't smell at all, I wear nothing. Thank heavens that rarely happens!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

M7 (warm, spicy, medicinal), else Eau Sauvage or Bois de Portugal (both warm, citrusy, confident). I find that Blue Jeans also works (bright, pine-filled, upbeat).

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I can't imagine wearing Blue Jeans when sick! It's too sweet/cloying for me, even on a normal day. However, I've avoided this one like the plague for several years so I should go back and retest it.

For some reason, when I get the flu, I keep on sniffing Rive Gauche PH....
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Post Re: Flu season! What to wear when you're sick?

I don't do it really, but having a flu might be a good reason to wear some nice crowd pleaser, you don't personally enjoy. If you happen to own one, that is. For once, one you wear fragrances for other people. You don't have to smell that crappy and generic fragrance and your friends doesn't have to stand one of those weird scents you usually wear.

My advice would be to avoid your favourites in general when sick, you might afterwards connect the fragrance to the memory of being sick, which might actually make you dislike it for the rest of your life. I don't think it's too risky when you just have a flu, high fever for example is another thing.

Sickness is time for cleansing. Strong herb tea. Sweating. Inhalation. A time to avoid irritants, including fragrances with all their synthetics and additives. If anything choose an adequate aromatherapeutic oil in organic quality. And listen to some Debussy or Satie or Howe Gelb (or whatever calms you) to find respite.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Fortunately, I only get a head cold every couple years (now watch me be ill all winter). Hadn't really thought about fragrances and being sick before but I might try this in the future:

Mentioned on the Now Smell This Blog today and new from Heeley:

Esprit du Tigre or Spirit of the Tiger is a fragrance "inspired by the traditional Chinese remedy known as Tiger Balm". Notes include camphor, mint, clove and cardamom."

Sounds interesting!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Odorifera
    Fortunately, I only get a head cold every couple years (now watch me be ill all winter). Hadn't really thought about fragrances and being sick before but I might try this in the future:

Mentioned on the Now Smell This Blog today and new from Heeley:

Esprit du Tigre or Spirit of the Tiger is a fragrance "inspired by the traditional Chinese remedy known as Tiger Balm". Notes include camphor, mint, clove and cardamom."

Sounds interesting!
    I come from Chinese background so I'm very familiar with Tiger Balm and in all my honesty, I cannot imagine wearing something that smells like that as a fragrance!!! I have an association between it and muscle cramps.

I have never gotten the flu shot in the past eight years and I've been doing fine *knock on wood*.

I usually never wear any scents because when I'm sick, my nose is a non-stop mucus dripping machine. It appears that scents make it worse.

*blink*

Comme des Garcons edp.....the original, NOT the #2, which I think is vile.

Opium pour Homme edp

Kouros! Now that can unstop a clogged nose! Just breath deep!

....or inhale some Joop! Just be sure you have a chuck bucket near by.

I probably would'nt wear a scent if I could'nt smell it. I have not had the flu in ages. Seems like ever since I started working outside all year round, I never get sick. I did have a head cold for about a week last year.

S

4711. Its a cure-all

I love wearing Yang. nearfantastica recommended it and I've been using it as my "I'm sick with the flu and I need a hug" daily.