Code of Conduct

Question In-creed-ible choices

Good day, fellow base noses!

I'd like to try some Creed samples/decants; I've heard good things about Bois du Portugal, Green Irish Tweed, Vintage Tabarome, Acier Aluminum, Erolfa, and Himalaya.

At a Nordstrum's in Las Vegas, I smelled what I thought was Green Irish Tweed and it stunk to the high heavens. I realize it may have been something else, but I'm not sure. If what I did smell is GIT, then God help me, I'd rather bathe in Hydrochloric Acid.

I have Parfums de Nicolai's NY and I'm given to understand Bois du Portugal has similar notes. Since I own NY, I'm not too keen on getting a variant.

I know nothing practically of the others.

By the way, I'm limiting myself to these because that's what nononscents has for sale.

So, for you all Creed fans, which do you think I should spring for?
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Default Re: In-creed-ible choices

Oh Savvy_nose, where are you? This is your time to shine...
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

GIT does smell like Cool Water - but much better in the dry-down. Very wearable, good longevity (on me) - really like it. I'm going through my decant very quickly.

Acier Aluminium - a bit strange - dusky dry fruit (I think there is something North African about it). I've only worn it a couple of times and I like it, but need to think about when and where to wear it.

I have a decant of the new, not vintage, Tabarome - I did not take to it on first wearing. The tobacco/leather combo was not right for me (though I'm trying to give up smoking again - so it may just have been a bad association). It's clearly classy and would suit a suit.

"The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

You will get a different opinion for every basenoter. Here is mine.

Acier Aluminium is a fine fragrance but quite unusual. If you didn't like the ambergris in GIT then I would be surprised if you like this (GIT is not one of my favs, though I like and respect it and understand why so many love it).

Vintage tabarome is a smokey powerful soapy linear frangrance which is good but I prefer the warmth and unbuned tobacco of New Tabarome, which to my mind is quite underated. It is warm and crisp at the same time with a fabulous drydown and great development.

Erolfa is a very good oceanic fragrance with a similar drydown to Millesime Imperial, if you know that. Personally I don't go much for the watermelon oceanic thing in general, if you do I would guess you would like it. I slightly perfer Millesime Imperial and so keep a bottle of that instead.

Himalaya is one that I don't really like so much, but annoyingly others seem to like it on me. I find the top notes remind me of fairy liquid (washing up liquid - not sure if you have that brand in the USA) and the dusty incense to be a bit irritating and affected and unnatural.

Try them all out, but maybe also try some other creeds. Personally I recommend Santal Imperial, Royal Scottish Lavender, Bois De Cedrat, Selection Verte, Chevrefeuille Original, Original Vetiver, Neroli Sauvage apart from those already discussed.

Good Luck.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    At a Nordstrum's in Las Vegas, I smelled what I thought was Green Irish Tweed and it stunk to the high heavens. I realize it may have been something else, but I'm not sure. If what I did smell is GIT, then God help me, I'd rather bathe in Hydrochloric Acid.
    I don't think much of this fragrance either. It has that flat freshness that seemed to catch on and later dominate so many 1990s releases. I recognize Green Irish Tweed is probably an influential landmark in this regard, but that doesn't make it smell any better to me.

I have Parfums de Nicolai's NY and I'm given to understand Bois du Portugal has similar notes. Since I own NY, I'm not too keen on getting a variant.
    I find practically no similarity. New York is sweetish citrus with a touch of herbs and spice. Bois du Portugal is bold rich woods with some dry spice and a drydown I won't try to describe beyond saying it's nothing like New York's.

I wouldn't call myself a Creed fan, but the 2 fragrances of theirs I like best are Original Vetiver and Angélique Encens. As much as I like these, though, I don't think they're worth the retail prices since so many other good scents cost maybe 1/3 as much.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Isn't he on tour round shops in the States doing lunches and such?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

I agree that there is little similarity between NY and BdP and urge you to try this one by all means. It is Olivier Creed's masterpiece, if you ask me.

I have only tried Vintage Tabarome in passing but was quite impessed. New Tabarome took time to grow on me, but I quite like it on cold days. Some find the ginger problematic here.

I just can't get excited about Erolfa, MI, Himalaya, SMW. Somehow they just don't click with me. The first two are watery, melony and somehow both weak and slightly funky. My favorite fresh Creed is Neroli Sauvage, hands down.

Others I am deply fond of are Royal English Leather and Baie de Genievre and I'm waiting for a good price to grab Royal Delight (a sweet dandyish one) and Orange Spice.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    I don't think much of this fragrance either. It has that flat freshness that seemed to catch on and later dominate so many 1990s releases. I recognize Green Irish Tweed is probably an influential landmark in this regard, but that doesn't make it smell any better to me.
    So indeed, it seems GIT is what I sniffed. Thanks, d4, I am definitely not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    I find practically no similarity. New York is sweetish citrus with a touch of herbs and spice. Bois du Portugal is bold rich woods with some dry spice and a drydown I won't try to describe beyond saying it's nothing like New York's.
    Oh good! I'm veering towards trying BdP then.

By the way, who is Savvy_nose? The resident Creedxpert?

It's hard to imagine what you smelled was GIT!

You may not like it, but its hard to imagine that you thought it "stunk to the high heavens". If anything it is quite mainstream and very wearable (in a classy way). It does bear a superficial simialrity to Cool Water for about 20 miniutes but drys down to something very different.

Erolfa is (IMHO) the best marine/aquatic fragrence. If you like that sort of thing it is well worth trying out.

Vintage Tabarome (1875) is pure class and old money. It probably won't get a lot of use, but it is quite amazing.

The new Tabarome is one of my favorite Creeds and is a major compliment getter. Tobacco and ginger. It takes about 30 minutes for the ginger to settle down and this one to come into its own.

Acier Aluminum I haven't warmed up to. I can tell its well crafted, but there's something that doesn't sit right on me. Many think its one of Creed's best.

BdP is pure class and taste in a bottle! It could be the best Creed. Woods and spices done SO right!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    I agree that there is little similarity between NY and BdP and urge you to try this one by all means. It is Olivier Creed's masterpiece, if you ask me.

I have only tried Vintage Tabarome in passing but was quite impessed.
    BdP is sounding better and better. Thanks, y'all!

[QUOTE=ifconfig]By the way, I'm limiting myself to these because that's what nononscents has for sale.[QUOTE]

Buffalo_Gals sells sampler packs. Creed for Men, 13 x 1 ml. See her thread in Items for Sale.

By the way, who is Savvy_nose? The resident Creedxpert?
    No, no, no, thousand times no. He's Creeds Propaganda Minister (actually, he's this guy who acted like he was just a Creed fan on Creed-related threads but so sycophantically praised everything about Creed and its parfumers that it became pretty obvious he works for them or somehow is connected with them in a very biased way). I think he's thankfully stopped posting, but this thread is a good way to bait him and see...

Quote Originally Posted by lievje
    Buffalo_Gals sells sampler packs. Creed for Men, 13 x 1 ml. See her thread in Items for Sale.
    Wonderful, very good to know, thanks!

Okay, here goes ... here savvy, savvy, savvvyyyy! :-)

LOL!!!

I'm still giggling about the Brit comment earlier about Himalaya's passing resemblance to "fairy liquid." (Some things just don't translate well across the Big Pond. Just ask any American gal named Fanny how well her name goes over in the U.K., or ask any Cockney what happens if you tell that same Yankee gal that you'll "knock her up once you get your screw.")

So -- fairy liquid, anyone?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

No, no, no, thousand times no. He's Creeds Propaganda Minister (actually, he's this guy who acted like he was just a Creed fan on Creed-related threads but so sycophantically praised everything about Creed and its parfumers that it became pretty obvious he works for them or somehow is connected with them in a very biased way). I think he's thankfully stopped posting, but this thread is a good way to bait him and see...
    Last post: 10th November 2006, 03:47 AM
    Last Activity: 26th November 2006 07:46 PM

Looking at posts, maybe s/he works at NM or another "full-cost/price" retailer.

Similar activity at MUA for many of the Creed reviews by one of their members. Claims that the best place to purchase Creed is at X in X, California
    Last edited by zeram1; 29th November 2006 at 07:21 PM.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

The worst thing is how obvious he is. Now, if they employed me to promote them, I would do a much better, more subtle job. Just for the record, there are lots of places you can get genuine discounted creeds.

reviews

Agreed completely. To be honest, I think he's done more of a DISSERVICE to Creed and has done more to dissuade people against buying it. I'm not a giant Creed fan anyway, but even still, having someone like that connected with the brand who thinks that we're so dumb not to notice is truly insulting. I'd much rather give my $178 to my friend Freddie Malle or Jackie Laporte.

I only possess one bottle of Creed so far, Neroli Sauvage; but I think it's among their best; it is the finest of all citrus frags -- neroli flowers with sandalwood and ambergris -- and has excellent longevity for me. Others I've tried and liked include MI, Silver Mountain Water (simply beautiful) and Bois de Portugal (rich, dark and expensive-smelling).

Personally, I'd only buy Creed in a reputable shop, like Selfridges, House of Fraser etc. But then I buy all my scent in shops, not online.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    I only possess one bottle of Creed so far, Neroli Sauvage; but I think it's among their best; it is the finest of all citrus frags -- neroli flowers with sandalwood and ambergris -- and has excellent longevity for me. Others I've tried and liked include MI, Silver Mountain Water (simply beautiful) and Bois de Portugal (rich, dark and expensive-smelling).

Personally, I'd only buy Creed in a reputable shop, like Selfridges, House of Fraser etc. But then I buy all my scent in shops, not online.
    Neroli Sauvage is one of the most beautiful smells I know. Only thing is, I have to use GenuineImitationLife style quantities(tm) to make it last and project so I get through it fast.

reviews

I guess I should stop making fun of Savvy_nose and actually answer your original question.

Aside from those mentioned, I also think that Bois de Cedrat, Citrus Bigarade and Royal Water smell wonderful. The Bois de Cedrat is crisp and green (if I remember correctly) and the Royal water smells very classy and light. The Citrus Bigarade, however, was really nice on me. Citrusy, but not so much that it smells like you're wearing a fruit salad.

BUT, not meaning to say the same thing that ALWAYS comes up in a Creed thread, but they simply didn't last on me. The first thirty minutes were bliss (especially Citrus Bigarade), but they just disappeared. When I ran out of them, which happened quickly because like Hirch I was probably going through about 2 mls a day, I didn't and won't buy them again. Instead of Bois de Cedrat, I found Pecksniff's Chypre Green, which seems fairly similar to me but actually lasts longer than a half hour and costs less than half as much.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 29th November 2006 at 08:51 PM.

That stinky note you got from GIT is the earthy smelling violet leaves - GIT is one of my favorites because of that note

Millesime Imperiale is one of Creed's modern classics. An absolute must try.

BdP, as others have already mentioned, is highly regarded.

Orange Spice is an underrated one - I found it to be quite unusual. Imagine the top notes of Kouros, but richer and spicier. Great stuff.

Angelique Encens - smoky incense, with a smooth powdery drydown. A fantastic incense scent.

Vintage Tabarome - superb stuff, this one. Starts off soapy, but then slowly the rich tobacco comes through. The high quality is immediately noticeable. For a louder tobacco scent (with more ginger), try Tabarome Millesime.

Royal Scottish Lavender - earthy lavender, with a hint of citrus. The lavender smooths out over time. Definitely recommended if you like lavender. Its my current fave.

Neroli Sauvage - Probably the best smelling citrus frag around. Shame about the longevity. I would go for the classic Bois De Cedrat instead, which lasts longer.

Royal English Leather - buttery smooth leather with a mandarin top, this rates as my favorite leather scent. And its very wearable too! For its smokier but no less excellent brother, try Cuir De Russie.

Baie De Genievre - exquisite smelling concotion of juniper berry and cinnamon leaves. Manly stuff.

Acier Aluminum - sharp, spicy, with an ambery drydown. Unusual, and in a good way.

Erolfa - brine like and one of my favorite marine scents. Some say Mare by Creative Universe is better, but I havent tried it.

Honorable mentions: Himalaya, Original Vetiver, Original Santal, Epicea

So much variety from one house - and a large percentage of great scents to wear. No wonder its my favorite house!
    Last edited by zztopp; 29th November 2006 at 09:03 PM.
    -

BdP is sounding better and better. Thanks, y'all!
    "Ya'll"!?!? Are you sure you're not from Texas?

Haven't tried all the Creeds, but two scents that I have planned for immediate purchase (once I get the funds) are Original Vetiver and Millesime Imperial.

MI is just...amazing. The only scent that I tried on and got compliments on after half a dozen spirtz at Neiman

Must confess I found Angelique Encens (sample from Les Senteurs) to be a vanilla overdose. It made me think of vanilla ice cream flavoured incense; Church of the Vanilla Pod or something. I find similarities with Egoiste, another over-the-top vanilla that I have rejected.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Must confess I found Angelique Encens (sample from Les Senteurs) to be a vanilla overdose. It made me think of vanilla ice cream flavoured incense; Church of the Vanilla Pod or something. I find similarities with Egoiste, another over-the-top vanilla that I have rejected.
    I feel more or less the same way - excellent top and middle notes. The base is too feminine for me though. It is classified as a "feminine" scent though - still, worth sampling at the very least, and works great in cold weather. I would rather wear BdP or BdG or Tabarome.
    -

BUT, not meaning to say the same thing that ALWAYS comes up in a Creed thread, but they simply didn't last on me. The first thirty minutes were bliss (especially Citrus Bigarade), but they just disappeared.
    Have you tried Bois du Portugal? Does it have the same problems with staying power? I think a good perfume, especially one that costs as much as Creeds, should absolutely have the requisite lasting power.

Quote Originally Posted by badaim
    "Ya'll"!?!? Are you sure you're not from Texas?
    Sooner or later, bad, everyone's from Texas! Heck, you guys got enough room.

Quote Originally Posted by badaim
    Haven't tried all the Creeds, but two scents that I have planned for immediate purchase (once I get the funds) are Original Vetiver and Millesime Imperial.

MI is just...amazing. The only scent that I tried on and got compliments on after half a dozen spirtz at Neiman
    That sounds great. I'll simply have to get a sample of MI. Do you have the aforementioned problems with longevity?

Agree. I found AE to be vanilla overdose. It was far to sweet for my darling wife. When I tried it I decided it was not the sort of thing I would wear for a game of darts and a few pints of Guinness with the lads.

Re. longevity of Creeds - I know some people have issues with it but the ones I've tried have been 8+ hours. (Sillage is another story - they do not leave plumes of fragrance in your wake). For a bottle purchase I agree that it is something to seriously think about. For a decant, though, I would not let mixed reviews on longevity stop me from trying things out. ( I better stop before I get burned with the mark of Savvy )

"The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Have you tried Bois du Portugal? Does it have the same problems with staying power? I think a good perfume, especially one that costs as much as Creeds, should absolutely have the requisite lasting power.
    I must admit I never tried BdP. The one's that I've used (MI as well as the ones mentioned earlier) were so unimpressive to me duration and sillage wise that I didn't try any more. It seemed to me that there were some others that were of a similar enough smell with better duration at better prices that it didn't justify me spending any more on Creed. Plus, GIT and MI are becoming about as exclusive as Acqua di Gio amongst perfume fans, so I really didn't want to spend $150+ to smell like 10 other people at a restaurant.

Anyway, that was a long rant to say that I don't know about BdP.

Must confess I found Angelique Encens (sample from Les Senteurs) to be a vanilla overdose. It made me think of vanilla ice cream flavoured incense; Church of the Vanilla Pod or something.
    I agree. And I would be tempted to join such a church.

I find similarities with Egoiste, another over-the-top vanilla that I have rejected.
    Égoïste apparently does contain vanilla, but the note doesn't seem conspicuous to me at any stage. I tend to like vanilla fragrances, but for me Égoïste is something else.

I agree a good fragrance must have good longevity, and it would be nice if we could rely on expensive fragrances to be good; but I'm afraid we can't.

In my experience Bois du Portugal lasts much longer than other Creeds, but as I have written before, the bold dry wood and spice notes I enjoy fade in the first few hours, eventually leaving behind something else I find mildly repulsive.

Sooner or later, bad, everyone's from Texas! Heck, you guys got enough room.

That sounds great. I'll simply have to get a sample of MI. Do you have the aforementioned problems with longevity?
    When I had a small, sample, vial, I treasured it so much that I forced myself to only two sprays from it-otherwise, it would have been used up in two outings! Nearly couldn't smell it on myself after the first hour had passed! I then decided to take Thrax's comments in a past thread into consideration (spraying half a dozen times, I believe). So I traveled to NM. At Neiman's, I graced myself six spritz of the wonderful liquid (as the SAs gave me inquisitorial looks) and walked though the mall.

Surprisingly, longevity was MUCH longer than I anticipated. I must have gotten four or five hours out of it before it vanished into fragrant dust.

I'm getting a full bottle when I mow enough lawns.

I've ordered a sampler of Silver Mountain Water from perfumebay. I am waiting like it's Christmas already. If I like it, I will definately get a big bottle of it. Are most Creeds EdP or EdT because a different site will say different things about the same fragrance.

I generally detest fragrances that die off in an hour or even a few hours. I'll have to wait for a sample to try it myself--my newest resolutions are to (a) never buy blind again and; (b) test fragrances on my own skin before passing judgement.

Luckily, I have a BN'er who has graciously offered to send me a sample of BdP so I can do just that! What a great board.