Code of Conduct

Red face Fruity Floral, Gourmande, Hawaiian Frag.

What is the difference between a Fruity Floral, A Gourmande, and a basic Hawaiian fragrance? Are they the same thing by different names or are they basically the same?

Default Re: Fruity Floral, Gourmande, Hawaiian Frag.

No, they aren't the same, although there are scents that include all three characteristics (btw, the designation "Hawaiian" isn't generally in the perfume nomenclature, and neither would "tropical" be).

A fruity floral would be a floral fragrance with fruit/berry topnotes over a floral heart. The number or concentration of fruit notes varies widely. Some might be overwhelmingly fruity (the LE Escada summer frags) and others might lightly integrate the fruit into the whole to the point where it isn't able to be individually identified (Jil Sander No. 4).

A gourmand has "edible" components like vanilla, chocolate, or all those fattening-sounding headspace concoctions like yummy calorie-filled banana custard and thigh-puffing mocha eclair. There may also be fruit thrown in there somewhere. There are straight gourmands like the CSP Vanille line, and then there are obfuscated gourmands like Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street, where the top of the pyramid is overtaken by a green note.

Hawaiian or tropical scents generally are very lush, heady florals based around things like tuberose, gardenia, tiare, jasmine, and pikake (jasmine sambac). Some of these might have a vanillic base (like Songes) that straddles the gourmand line without making reference to edibility. They might also contain fruit notes (Parfums de Nicolai Cococabana).

Talking Re: Fruity Floral, Gourmande, Hawaiian Frag.

Thanks Paisley. I don't know why I have such a problem with this one. I have the others figured out pretty well, I think.