Code of Conduct

Talking Where to Shop for Frags in NYC

I will be in NYC today and tomorrow and really don't know where to go. Any ideas on some great shops that I might not know of or the best place that has an amazing collection and the stuff that no one else has?

Would love to find a friendly place that allows people to shop around for awhile without pressure and has tons of samples In other words, the perfect store

I will mainly be around Midtown, Lincoln Center and there about.

Thanks for the help

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Where to Shop for Frags in NYC

Actually, there is a separate section in Basenotes especially for this sort of location question. It works best if people who know the town named add to it any appropriate suggestions, but the NYC listing is excellent.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177429

To scent-shop NY properly could take more than a week!

Have fun!

Ack sorry I should have known there was something like that here already. Thanks for the link
    Wish I had a week there. But I fly there about once a week during this season anyway so I can section it off

Don't miss the fragrance district on Broadway around 30th st. Not the best selection of the obscure, but plenty of creed and virtually anything you can find in a mainline dept store, all at prices as low as the lowest on ebay or even lower, and no tax, and many extremely low-priced testers. But shop around this time of year as some shops will try and take advantage of tourists.

Go to Aedes.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Go to Aedes.
    I know there is a section for this but I feel obligated to respond.

Go to Aedes!! It is heaven. I think it's on Christopher Street. It's listed on the site. It is one of my favorite places to shop. The two owners are amazingly knowledgable and very helpful.

I like going to Barney's as well. They have some fun stuff to smell. There are two Barney's and I don't remember which one is the good one. I think the better one is the bigger of the two.

The fragrance district is terrible, IMO. I've been scared of fakes and duplicates. It's just not a safe place to shop and every store has almost the exact same selection. Booo

ENJOY!

I like Takashimaya and Bendels.

You have to be careful in the Fragrance District, but imo it's worth visiting. I've found great fragrances at bargain prices (none were fakes.) Some shopkeepers won't bargain with you (they'll claim they're already selling the fragrance at wholesale.) Others are anxious to make a deal. I do my research beforehand and base my decision on how close their price is to the cheapest etailer (also, you're not paying sales tax or shipping.) Some stores sell testers in plain packaging at very low prices. I had fun when I discovered I was good at bargaining!

Another place worth checking out is C.O. Bigelow Pharmacy on Sixth Avenue below 9th Street. They carry Miller Harris, 06130, Carthusia, Diptyque, L'Artisan and Blu Mediterraneo, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I know there is a section for this but I feel obligated to respond.

Go to Aedes!! It is heaven. I think it's on Christopher Street. It's listed on the site. It is one of my favorite places to shop. The two owners are amazingly knowledgable and very helpful.

I like going to Barney's as well. They have some fun stuff to smell. There are two Barney's and I don't remember which one is the good one. I think the better one is the bigger of the two.

The fragrance district is terrible, IMO. I've been scared of fakes and duplicates. It's just not a safe place to shop and every store has almost the exact same selection. Booo

ENJOY!

Your entitled to your opinion, but your absolutely wrong. I've never known anyone to get a fake from these merchants. You don't say you bought a fake, only that your scared you might. The selection not good? Please! Unless your limiting yourself to foo foo boutiques, these guys have the same stuff you can by anywhere, including Creed in some shops. Like anywhere, you do have to watch for the lowest price, so just ask a few shops for prices before buying, no big deal. And, in my many experiences, the first price I get is lower than anyplace else, except perhaps the price at the shop next door, how can you lose? And how can you say the place is "terrible?" What nonsense. Some recent purchases: Bulgari PH Tester $18; Bugari Black tester $16; Guerlain Vetiver $24; Iceberg Twice $12; Lacoste Original $23. These prices are the lowest you'll find on ebay, with no shipping and no tax. In all cases, the products were fresh and very real.

I had a good experience in the Fragrance District ... came away with full size bottles of Iceberg Twice, Chanel No. 5 EDP, Rive Gauche Homme, Rochas Femme, Habit Rouge, and Mugler Cologne. Left a lot of Hermes on the shelf for next time! Cheaper than online discounters -- especially when you factor in shipping.

Barney's was great of course. Also checked out the New London Pharmacy in Chelsea for soaps, home fragrance, and bath stuff. Nice array of fragrances too including Creed and Acqua Di Parma.

The Hermes store was closed -- hit that on a Sunday unfortunately.

I didn't make it to Aedes this time. Also want to check out Lafco my next trip.
    Can't wait to go back!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Aedes is great....My fave is Barneys..home to Le labo, frederic Malle, L'artisan, and Serge Lutens.

Quote Originally Posted by scentinell
    Your entitled to your opinion, but your absolutely wrong. I've never known anyone to get a fake from these merchants. You don't say you bought a fake, only that your scared you might. The selection not good? Please! Unless your limiting yourself to foo foo boutiques, these guys have the same stuff you can by anywhere, including Creed in some shops. Like anywhere, you do have to watch for the lowest price, so just ask a few shops for prices before buying, no big deal. And, in my many experiences, the first price I get is lower than anyplace else, except perhaps the price at the shop next door, how can you lose? And how can you say the place is "terrible?" What nonsense. Some recent purchases: Bulgari PH Tester $18; Bugari Black tester $16; Guerlain Vetiver $24; Iceberg Twice $12; Lacoste Original $23. These prices are the lowest you'll find on ebay, with no shipping and no tax. In all cases, the products were fresh and very real.
    I am entitled and since I am from NY I would consider my opinion to be a little more valuable then the average tourist. I don't know where you are from so I don't want to judge you. They are full of fakes there. I've found nothing but simple selections at these simple stores. If found some good stuff there but but the kind of thing not to be bought there is a Creed or any other high end frag. I wasn't clear with what I said. I know there are fakes in these stores. They are far from legit but they do sell a lot of easy to find fragrances, which make them nothing more special than Scentiments.com. They sell vey generic stuff in the frag district. Nothing special and nothing you can't find online for the same price. You can argue a price though. I've been able to get prices lowered on fragrances just by talking to the owner. It's a good place to haggle. I prefer Aedes and Barney's, but, as scentinell said, you can find stuff in the crappy fragrance district. Happy hunting!

Fair enough, but I still take issue on the "fake" claim. I've heard many talk about this, but know of anyone who actually got burnt, not one! Let's face it, if you have a brick and mortar store, your less likely to take a chance selling a fake to someone who might just kick your ass or vandalize your store. I'm from northern NJ and go there all the time, I've never encountered a single fake, creed or otherwise. Now again, I'm limiting this to the stores, the guys on the street may be another story. Lastly, though I agree you can't find the real obscure stuff, it has gotten much better over the years. Basically, anything you can find in a mainline dept store you can get there. I'll also say these guys are not as good during the busy xmas season, you will need to know your prices and be willing to walk next door. The prices do change on the fly. I've also gotten lots of help from other "enthusiasts" -- last weekend I went to my favorite shop looking for Guerlain Vetiver, I was quoted $27 (been as low as $20 in that same shop earlier this year), when I left some dude pulled me over and pointed me to a store across the street where he just scored the same for $23. Not a huge deal, but I'll take the beer money.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I am entitled and since I am from NY I would consider my opinion to be a little more valuable then the average tourist. I don't know where you are from so I don't want to judge you. They are full of fakes there. I've found nothing but simple selections at these simple stores. If found some good stuff there but but the kind of thing not to be bought there is a Creed or any other high end frag. I wasn't clear with what I said. I know there are fakes in these stores. They are far from legit but they do sell a lot of easy to find fragrances, which make them nothing more special than Scentiments.com. They sell vey generic stuff in the frag district. Nothing special and nothing you can't find online for the same price. You can argue a price though. I've been able to get prices lowered on fragrances just by talking to the owner. It's a good place to haggle. I prefer Aedes and Barney's, but, as scentinell said, you can find stuff in the crappy fragrance district. Happy hunting!
    Yes EnvYus. I have posted that I have been sold three fakes there in the past year. I have been saying that there are a lot of fakes there all along. I do hope that the folks who firmly believe that there are NO fakes there, never run into one. The percentages are too high, I am afraid!

Quote Originally Posted by smitsky
    Yes EnvYus. I have posted that I have been sold three fakes there in the past year. I have been saying that there are a lot of fakes there all along. I do hope that the folks who firmly believe that there are NO fakes there, never run into one. The percentages are too high, I am afraid!

Then please tell! What shops sold you fakes, I surely will stay away. Also, what happened when you returned and asked for a refund?

Arrow Re: Where to Shop for Frags in NYC

Then please tell! What shops sold you fakes, I surely will stay away. Also, what happened when you returned and asked for a refund?
    Hi scentinell,

Please review my posts here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189814

~S.

Hi scentinell,

Please review my posts here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189814

~S.

Thanks, I replied in that post as well. I suppose getting a fake is possible almost anywhere but a full priced retailer (even then I suppose it could happen). Frankly, and don't anyone take this the wrong way, if the packaging looks real and the scent seems real, why should I care who REALLY made the product. On the other hand, if I get a fake or something I think is fake (yes, I've bought stuff at dept stores that seemed "different"), but the store cheerfully refunds my money (as in your Frag. Dist. experience), that's ok by me. To get something half priced or more, that's returnable if I'm not satisfied would not deter me from shopping there again. And, smitsky, no offense at all, but it seems that aside from your take on the scent, you would not have thought the products you bought were fake -- how can you be sure they weren't just "off" as all of know can happen? Perhaps the shop didn't even know for sure.

Thanks, I replied in that post as well. I suppose getting a fake is possible almost anywhere but a full priced retailer (even then I suppose it could happen). Frankly, and don't anyone take this the wrong way, if the packaging looks real and the scent seems real, why should I care who REALLY made the product. On the other hand, if I get a fake or something I think is fake (yes, I've bought stuff at dept stores that seemed "different"), but the store cheerfully refunds my money (as in your Frag. Dist. experience), that's ok by me. To get something half priced or more, that's returnable if I'm not satisfied would not deter me from shopping there again. And, smitsky, no offense at all, but it seems that aside from your take on the scent, you would not have thought the products you bought were fake -- how can you be sure they weren't just "off" as all of know can happen? Perhaps the shop didn't even know for sure.
    Hi scentinell,

I can appreciate what you have expressed here. I guess it all depends on your point of view and your objectives.

As an example of what I mean here, let me say this:

If I buy a bottle of AdG for $42 at a store in the fragrance district and, because of my fragrance experience I am able to detect that it closely resembles a no-name (as in popular designer) fragrance that I can easily pick up in the same district for $3 (you've read it correctly - three) in scent quality and longevity (in this case the $3 product lasts longer), chances are that I might feel that I'm getting ripped off (if I wasn't a step ahead of the game).

I offer this as well: AdG retails for $65 before tax in Sephora. Walk out the door with a bottle after tax and you have paid roughly $70.36. The question is, if I have paid $42 (the going rate these days for a 3.4 Oz. size of AdG in said fragrance district) and am saving roughly $28 for a piece of junk that I might be able to pick up for $7 - $9 or so, based on the quality... what are we really "saving." This is a rhetorical question.

But... as you have suggested, if I like how the product that I have paid $42 for smells and how it lasts, why should I "care" if it is not what it says it is?

On to the other product:

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Due to my aforementioned fragrance experience, I am able to detect a symptom of a fake fragrance, namely poor lasting power, chances are I am going to feel absolutely ripped off if I pay $60 for a fragrance that normally costs $110 before tax. I want original Coco Mademoiselle. I do not want to pay $60 for something that is very inferior. $15 maybe (it did smell true to the original) - $60 not a chance.

The question remains, do I actually want original Coco Mlle & AdG, or am I willing to accept a fake and what price should I pay for this.

Also, keep in mind that these store owners would never try to sell something for above, say $25 - $30 that is not being touted as an "original." So, they are engaged in a scam if they try to sell such things. Telling you Coco Mademoiselle when it is not original is like you pharmacist saying here's an antibiotic which costs $90, when in fact you are getting a placebo sugar pill which should have cost you $1.99

Hope this gives you some idea of where I am coming from.

Hi scentinell,

I can appreciate what you have expressed here. I guess it all depends on your point of view and your objectives.

As an example of what I mean here, let me say this:

If I buy a bottle of AdG for $42 at a store in the fragrance district and, because of my fragrance experience I am able to detect that it closely resembles a no-name (as in popular designer) fragrance that I can easily pick up in the same district for $3 (you've read it correctly - three) in scent quality and longevity (in this case the $3 product lasts longer), chances are that I might feel that I'm getting ripped off (if I wasn't a step ahead of the game).

I offer this as well: AdG retails for $65 before tax in Sephora. Walk out the door with a bottle after tax and you have paid roughly $70.36. The question is, if I have paid $42 (the going rate these days for a 3.4 Oz. size of AdG in said fragrance district) and am saving roughly $28 for a piece of junk that I might be able to pick up for $7 - $9 or so, based on the quality... what are we really "saving." This is a rhetorical question.

But... as you have suggested, if I like how the product that I have paid $42 for smells and how it lasts, why should I "care" if it is not what it says it is?

On to the other product:

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Due to my aforementioned fragrance experience, I am able to detect a symptom of a fake fragrance, namely poor lasting power, chances are I am going to feel absolutely ripped off if I pay $60 for a fragrance that normally costs $110 before tax. I want original Coco Mademoiselle. I do not want to pay $60 for something that is very inferior. $15 maybe (it did smell true to the original) - $60 not a chance.

The question remains, do I actually want original Coco Mlle & AdG, or am I willing to accept a fake and what price should I pay for this.

Also, keep in mind that these store owners would never try to sell something for above, say $25 - $30 that is not being touted as an "original." So, they are engaged in a scam if they try to sell such things. Telling you Coco Mademoiselle when it is not original is like you pharmacist saying here's an antibiotic which costs $90, when in fact you are getting a placebo sugar pill which should have cost you $1.99

Hope this gives you some idea of where I am coming from.

Thanks, it does. For the most part, I confine my frag. dist. purchases to stuff under $25, at that level as a ceiling, Ive been able to get things like Bulgari PH; Burberry Brit, Guerlain Vetiver; Lacoste original and I'm pretty confident no fakes in the bunch. Some of these were testers, I don't think the frauds would fake a brown tester box, but I guess you never know -- that would be sneaky indeed. By the way, what was that $3 buck ADG clone?

Cool. I think ur fine.

Ice by Sakamichi. They'll say, "$7," say, "I always buy that for "$3."

~S.

Post Re: Where to Shop for Frags in NYC

For the most part, I confine my frag. dist. purchases to stuff under $25, at that level as a ceiling, Ive been able to get things like Bulgari PH; Burberry Brit, Guerlain Vetiver; Lacoste original and I'm pretty confident no fakes in the bunch. Some of these were testers, I don't think the frauds would fake a brown tester box, but I guess you never know -- that would be sneaky indeed.
    I think that you would know a fake, especially - and here's the important part - if you are quite familiar with the original fragrance. I think most folks are fooled by purchasing a "new" fragrance from someone, whey they are not familiar with that fragrance to begin with.

As an example: I take my backside to the fragrance district and ask for Cerruti Si (a fragrance I have heard about but never tested). I'm sold Cerruti Si for maybe $30. Since I have absolutely no idea what this stuff smells like, I have to feel my way around. I won't go into that part, but I think you understand what I'm trying to illustrate.

Yes, I would be inclined to agree with you: testers should be safer.

I have also heard that large-size bottles of stuff (rather than 30 or 50 ml. sizes) are produced as fakes.

I just think we, as Basenoters who are trying to really learn the fragrance world inside and out (maybe I should speak 4 myself here), should be aware of these things and protect ourselves.

Ice by Sakamichi will definitely be sold to you at a very low price (I would even pay $4 - $5), if it is bought from these illustrious vendors as part of a "package deal" where you are buying 2 or 3 (or more) fragrances from them at once.

I am referring to the one sold in the grey box. Recently I have seen some new "flavors" of the stuff. I have purchased and like the woman's (yellow, tall box) fragrance as well. That is also of the same name. I think these are fine to give as a low-priced gift to someone who is not "used to" expensive perfumes and colognes.

I think it's also worthy of mention that some of these dudes are honest and will sell u the real stuff as a matter of course. I guess it's just like the rest of humanity: there's the "good," and the "not so good."

Best,

~S.

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    Aedes is great....My fave is Barneys..home to Le labo, frederic Malle, L'artisan, and Serge Lutens.
    A friend and myself are planning a trip to Aedes sometime soon...it has captured my imagination so, and the one purchase I made from them online was professional, prompt and satisfying from start to finish.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

For some reason, I have never been to this part of the City and wasn't aware such a district exists. So yesterday, I ventured into checking out what it has to offer. Whoa! Store after store of floor-to-ceiling fragrances. The whole area from 34th Street to 26th Street is lined with fragrance stores on both sides of Broadway. Maybe because of the holiday season, most stores are packed with buyers. There are also a lot of sidewalk vendors which are selling knock-offs. Well, they're not exactly fakes because the packaging and name are not exactly the same as the authentic ones. So for those who are at least knowledgeable of what they are looking for, you would know to stay away from these. I ended up buying Burberry LONDON ($25) and Bvlgari BLACK ($18). I have no doubt both are authentic items and am very pleased with my purchases. I think from now on, I know where to get mass-marketed fragrances. If you know what you want and they are easily available in department stores or Sephora, I think it is fairly safe to buy at one of these stores in the so-called NYC's Fragrance District.