Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which scent gets the most compliments??

I wonder which fragrances you receive the most compliments from.

I know we wear our fragrances to lift our spirits or to compliment our mood on a particular day, but I also like to wear something that others will find appealing.

I thought this would be an interesting thread....reactions from men and women to what you are wearing.

Default Re: Which scent gets the most compliments??

The scents I've gotten most compliments from by wearing is Angel(both men and women),Trouble(also both men and women) and finally Hypnotic Poison.That's mostly from men.

This is a question that pops up constantly everywhere so a boad search would be good.

*As a general verdict*:
    the more familiar the audience is with a certain style the more likely they are to compliment you on what you're wearing. Easier things also get more compliments than difficult frags that one needs knowledge and a PhD to "get". Human nature.
    The place you're in and your entourage in general. The whole cultural references.

To give an example, La Nuit de Paco Rabanne might be a compliment-getter if you ever meet Turin or someone like that, but forget it if you want to smell nice to your grocer or highschool friend. In case of latter RL Romance is more likely to get you positive thoughts.(I am saying this just as an example, doesn't mean anything, it's just an easy, light juice, don't hold me responsible)

I get most complments on Opium myself, but lots of others as well, too many and varied to list.
    Last edited by helg; 30th November 2006 at 03:03 PM.

Ozwald Boateng Red EdT and Burberry Brit (two compliments each ).

Pink Sugar!! It's Mr. Tinker's favorite & I've received compliments from people who hate perfume while wearing this.

On me Yohji has received the most compliments.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Bvlgari Black

Eau de Santal by Floris

Daim Blond

Edit to add: not sure if these project better than other things I wear or if they truly smell best on me relative to other fragrances.
    Last edited by Odorifera; 30th November 2006 at 04:28 PM.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Of the "women's" scents i have i was very complimented over these:

Samsara
    Yardley's Narcissus
    Yardley's Lily of the Valley (i was once showered with compliments from women at an international meeting with this one)
    Yardley's Magnolia
    Avon's Today
    Happy Holiday by Clinique
    Theorema by fendi (extrait)
    Red Delicious for women by DKNY
    Aquaflore by Carolina Herrera
    Pleasures Exotic by EL
    Green Tea by EA

so a lot! virtually all of the comments were from women!

cheers

I wish you hadn't asked!

The ones I used to get most complimented on don't exist anymore. (Well, I haven't been able to find them) Rose Jacqueminot (Coty) and Guerlain's Ode.

Recently Theorema and Tommy Girl have gotten nice play. Maybe it's a "T" thing! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I used to get lots of compliments with the Byblos original scent, the blue bottle with a brown cap. I wore this a lot during my college days.

In recent years, I get a lot of compliments on Michael by Michael Kors and well as my recent purchase Jolie Madame.

kai in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    I wish you hadn't asked!

The ones I used to get most complimented on don't exist anymore. (Well, I haven't been able to find them) Rose Jacqueminot (Coty) and Guerlain's Ode.

Recently Theorema and Tommy Girl have gotten nice play. Maybe it's a "T" thing! :bounce:

I don't know this lady but she claim's to have RJ by Coty . Her search engine doesn't work for me so I couldn't find Ode there but she has 18 pages of rare scents.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

For me, it's Ysatis, LouLou, and Quelques Fleurs.

Lolita Lempicka (BF loves it), Trouble (everyone loves it), L'Instant (most recently) and Pierre de Lune.

I cannot wear Fleurs de Citronnier without a woman remarking, generally about how warm it smells. Every time the inquirer has asked me to write down the name of the fragrance.

I cannot wear Ce Soir ou Jamais without positive notice from women and negative notice from men. So much for the traditional romantic notions associated with this now-or-never fragrance.

I've received many compliments on:
    Hypnotic Poison (men and women)
    L'Instant de Guerlain (mostly women)
    Samsara (men but mostly women)
    Dior Addict (mostly men)
    Aimez-Moi (men and women)
    Prada (mostly men)
    Gaultier² (mostly men)
    Hypnôse (mostly men)
    Mauboussin (mostly men)
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 5th December 2006 at 03:49 PM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I am really enjoying reading through this thread!

I placed an order for some samples today and have included many of the ones you all have mentioned!

I can see how one could easily get addicted....I'm enjoying sampling so much!

i usually get the most compliments when I wear Angel, Samsara, Pink Suger, Lolita Lempicka, Flowerbomb and Hanae Mori.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    I don't know this lady but she claims to have RJ by Coty . Her search engine doesn't work for me so I couldn't find Ode there but she has 18 pages of rare scents.Dan
    She certainly does...no Ode - which I lost out on on eBay (sob) - but I did indulge in the RJ :bounceafter all, I owed it to myself, losing the Ode and all)... for which MANY THANKS!! and lots of guns and $$$ but no lawyers!!!

Anticipate many compliments again....but I gotta tell ya, after today, New York is right up there!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

So glad I could be of help young Lady

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [/URL]

bleu autumn haze

My number one compliment magnet? Angel! I have received too many to keep track of compliments over the years with Angel; from strangers, friends, family, co-workers, you name it ...

BTW, I wore Le Baiser du Dragon today, and got FOUR compliments, maybe a new record for me for compliments in a day
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Re: Le Baiser du Dragon - I just ordered a sample today. I admit I am a little afraid of this one. I sniffed it at Saks and didn't know quite what to make of it. I have read so many great things about it here. I read that it needs 1/2 hour on your skin before it gets really warm.

Coco is the most reliable for me... whenever I wear it, my boyfriend perks up and asks what I've put on. Shalimar, Angel and Je Reviens all have the same effect, though not quite so much. The boy likes vanilla.

Narcisse Noir, Omnia, Mitsouko and Fracas, on the other hand, I practically have to hide. My boyfriend can't stand them, and none of them are really work-suitable, so I have to find a perfect time and space to indulge myself.

Hanae Mori EDT (pink butterfly) - has received compliments from men
    D&G Sicily - from women
    Philosophy Amazing Grace - from women
    Stella EDP - from men and women
    Prada EDP - from men and women

by far **Fleurs d 'Oranger** by Serge Lutens (men compliments - they love it!)

also Clair de Musc by Serge lutens (men and women)

Tubereuse de Caron (men)

En Avion (men over 40+)

Chanel No. 19.

Post Re: Which scent gets the most compliments??

Chanel No.19, Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant, Fresh Scents by Terri Zoe, Maison De La Vanille Vanille Noir Du Mexique - hubby has complemented me on all of these.

D&G Feminine - from a younger man.
    Gucci Envy Me 2 - from women and men.
    NR For Her - from women.
    Ghost Cherish - from women.
    Lancome Hypnose - from men.

I always like and compliment the one woman at work that wears Angel. She smells SO GOOD! I love my A*Men too

Dan

[/URL]

Narciso Rodriguez for Her, from men and women, (as in you smell outstanding,
    that fragrance is hypnotic... could you wear that one again soon?)

Fleur d'Oranger both men and women, perhaps more from women

Aimez Moi, from men

Tabac Blond on the other hand is one I have to wear in private or when I don't care what others think...but I love it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Reasently:
    J´Adore - from men and women
    City Glam - from women
    Ralph Hot - from men
    Cristobal - from women
    Gucci EdP II - from women
    L´Instant - from women

I have had the most compliments on
    CRISTOBAL
    ROMA
    CASAQUE

I've received the most compliments when wearing AA Ylang & Vanille, Cristobal, Tolu and AA Pamplelune.
    Last edited by MorganFay; 6th December 2006 at 01:44 AM.

Smile Re: Which scent gets the most compliments??

Le Baiser Du Dragon, I wear almond well and most of what I have has almond in it so I will name some without almond: Shalimar, Opium, Chanel 5, Samsara, and Prada.

I just got my first unsolicited compliment on a frag from my BF (other than body lotions and oils) tonight - it is my first real test of Bulgari Black. It's kind of thrilling!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by cherub
    I wonder which fragrances you receive the most compliments from.

I know we wear our fragrances to lift our spirits or to compliment our mood on a particular day, but I also like to wear something that others will find appealing.

I thought this would be an interesting thread....reactions from men and women to what you are wearing.

Ladies,
    try for once Laura, de Laura Biagiotti...and see....
    Then contact me and share your opinions if I was right...(do this only when you had good reactions :-)) )

Have a nice weekend
    Renz...

For me it's Polo Blue by faaaar.

Most of my favorites don't have generic appeal, unfortunately. Everytime I wear Idole De Lubin my BF says "Oh, putting on your stud fragrance again?" What does that tell you? :-) I'm trying to get *him* to wear it but he's an Eternity man, and I have to admit he smells better in E.

Most compliments from my BF: Obsession, which I can take or leave, but it's an absolute winner with Mr. Vanilla (my BF).

From others:
    Boucheron
    Apres L'Ondee
    L'Heure Bleue
    Chanel #5
    Coco
    Safari
    Parfum Sacre
    Agent Provocateur

- Kathy -

Blog Entries

Like flathorn, most of my favourites go unappreciated by anyone but myself, coupled with the fact that I hardly am in any situations where I mingle with others who could possibly comment on my scent, my opportunity to gain compliments is pretty low. Luckily hubby thinks I smell great in most things but he has some favourites also:

Guerlain Shalimar - a hubby favourite but also complimented by others male and female.
    Cerruti Image for Woman
    Givenchy Ysatis - dries down to gorgeous femininity on me. Many compliments from men & women. They are usually shocked when they hear what perfume it is.
    Dior Poison Espirit de Parfum - similar responses to Ysatis.
    Cacharel Gloria - Hubby never remembers the name but always gets a little crazy when I wear this.
    Guerlain AA Winter Delice - This perfume was made for me. Perfect with my chemistry and elicits many, many compliments. I am surprised I don't wear it more often. Another hubby favourite.
    Gres Cabochard - another hubby favourite but also complimented by others male and female.
    Guy Larouche Fidji
    D&G Feminine
    Guerlain Champs-Elysees - I would have written this off as too girly but received so many compliments each time I wore it I realised that it was another great for me - whether I thought so or not!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Out of all the fragrances I have....Purple Label by RL brings the most compliments....There is not a close 2nd.....Purple Label is my winner.
    Gary

PS Paul Sebastian-frequently mentioned from both men and women, and always referred to as a "clean" fragrance. CK Obsession and Eternity. Acqua di Gio, Gucci Nobile and sometimes Dana's Canoe.

I've found that it seems to vary by season, but here's my list:

SL Fleurs de Citronnier (I get compliments from women, without fail, every time I wear it)
    CdG Avignon (I get a ton of compliments from men on this one, as well as requests to write down the name)
    TFPB Amber Absolute (men and women)
    ELdO Divin' Enfant (men -- whose G-rated reaction is something along the lines of "decadent")
    SL Fumerie Turque (men and women)
    SL Bois de Violette (husband and, oddly, my family and in-laws)

Gaultier2 by a country mile mainly by men. No 5 by women very closely followed by JLo Glow!

Definitely Samsara and Lolita Lempicka, also Benefit's So Hooked on Carmella, used to get compliments on Sensi & Versace Woman back in the day too

Count me in as another who gets a lot of Angel compliments. Like, every time I wear it. Eau de Merveille, too (cannot spell it but love to smell it!). Last summer I wore Like This and got a lot of compliments on that as well. But Angel is by far the winner in this respect, although I do tend to wear it more than any other scent I own.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    My number one compliment magnet? Angel! I have received too many to keep track of compliments over the years with Angel; from strangers, friends, family, co-workers, you name it ...

BTW, I wore Le Baiser du Dragon today, and got FOUR compliments, maybe a new record for me for compliments in a day
    Is it Angel Schlesser Femme Angel Schlesser you mean?

Hiris - particularly from men, and particularly from my husband!
    Cristalle - mostly women
    Un Jardin sur le Nil - during the three minutes between application and disappearance
    L'Eau d'Hiver - mostly women
    I am lucky enough to possess a Roja Dove semi-bespoke fragrance, and have had so many compliments as (almost) to validate the totally obscene cost.

I get the most positive comments on Soir de Lune by far, followed closely by Portrait of a Lady.

I am frequently astonished by how many compliments my Cabochard gets, too.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I've got most compliments from ladies wearing Gucci Nobile. Some of my pals compliment some that have sandalwood like Santos

I rarely get compliments on my fragrance. that said, the ones that got me compliments more than once were Violetta di Parma, Chinatown, Jubilation 25 and Epic Woman.

Was great when it was first launched, the trouble is everyone wears this, and instantly people say another person wearing A-Men or Angel. One of the most overused and promoted fragrances. Its got so bad that every 8moths Mugler has to come out with various incarnations of this, Pure Coffee, Malt, Tabacco now shot.

Samsara, that is a beaut fragrance. I cannot get over when ever a woman has this on. WOW!

Basenotes Plus

Lately the biggest compliment getter has been Cartier Baiser Vole, such a beautiful scent.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Original Vetiver. Girls go nuts over it - guys do, too.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Judging from what I have heard and what she tells me, I would say that my girlfriend gets compliments most with Creed Jasmal, Aiméz-Moi by Caron and gardenia by chanel. MY favorite of hers is Sicily-Dolce & Gabanna.

Lately I've gotten a lot of positive notice when I wear the New Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol.

In the men's forum I read that a bunch of them like Flowerbomb on a woman although I don't own it. I have gotten the most compliments on Prada Candy and (not a perfume) Lush body massage bar..the one that is stimulating for after exercise.

Samsara. It's a man magnet. The only scent which strangers have commented on.

Stranger One: (friend of ex bf's) jumps off motorcycle, introduces self, and: "Oh my
    God. You smell sooo good!"

Stranger Two (at bar): Leans in and whispers, "You smell so beautiful." ...

Careful with this one, ladies!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I don't think I've posted in this thread, idk..but I get complimented on Armani Mania, mostly every time I wear it! And why not?
    Lady Million is another and Prada L'eau Ambree.
    "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." -Mark Twain

The perfume I get the most compliments from perfume haters is Idylle and Jadore. However, I personally dont really like them. Both were given as gifts and I was just trying them out.

But my boyfriend loves it when I wear Shalimar ("its oh so sexy" he says). I'm a lucky girl.

I love fragrances with vanilla on a woman, so sexy.