Code of Conduct

Question Dominant vanilla notes in guys fragrance?

Greetings Beautiful B-noters,

After recently experiencing the 'edible' vanilla notes of Hypnotic Poison on a most 'edible' aqaintance, I found myself wondering:

Are they any guys fragrances which have this edible note/effect? And by effect, I mean that all consuming, thoroughly delicious vanilla drydown.

Thanks in advance

Funksta

Default Re: Dominant vanilla notes in guys fragrance?

Both Pi and Bulgari Black come to mind right off the bat, although the vanilla in Pi is far more in the "gourmand" camp you seem to be seeking.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Comptoir du Sud Pacifique have about half a dozen unisex vanilla scents - worth checking out in the directory.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Vanilla is in a whole host of frags. Take a look at Burberry Brit or Boss Bottled. Anything with Vanilla, Tonka or Benzoin in the basenote will have a vanillic aura to it.

Hi, try Pi by Givenchy. Sickening monotonous vanilla, but that's just my opinion. It's very edible-vanilla smelling, should be right down your alley. I personally prefer an actual creme brulée .

Don't know about edible, but Malle's Musc Ravageur has a healthy dose of vanilla as well as cinnamon, brilliantly combined with musk. A far more interesting scent than Pi in my book.

Caron pour un homme is lavender top and lots of vanilla on the bottom. A classic.

You might also enjoy Lutens' Douce Amère which is very gourmandy, but includes licorice and chocolate notes as well. This one I adore.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The new and unexpensive Aquolina Blue Sugar
    Ho Hang
    Jaipur PH
    Egoiste
    Habit Rouge
    Bel Ami
    Le Male
    YSL Opium PH
    JOOP!
    Lolita Lempicka Au masculin
    Minotaure
    Rochas Man
    A*men

just to name some...

Blog Entries

As many have suggested...Pi is DEFINITELY edible.

And I still can't wait for Blue Sugar to hit stores in my neck of the woods.

I also want to suggest Lolita Lempicka au masculin. Although anise is the most prominant note, I get a big dose of edible vanilla in this one.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Blog Entries

Get thee out to a perfumerie (or online etailer) and purchase thee samples / decants and / or full bottles of the following:

Guerlain Heritage EDT / EDP
    Tiffany for Men
    Diesel Zero Plus Masculine
    The Body Shop Javari
    YSL Body Kouros
    Bulgari Black
    L'Artisan Dzing
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    Boucheron Jaipur Homme
    Lanvin Arpege pour Homme
    YSL Opium pour homme EDT / EDP
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Givenchy Pi
    Burberry Brit pour homme
    Gucci Envy Men

All your vanilla scented prayers will be answered.

Amen.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Creed Royal Scottish Lavender.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Some that I can think of are:

Boss Bottled
    Lolita Lempicka (dominates basenotes)
    Bvlgari Black
    Le Male
    Pi

There are many vanille fragrances that are unisex, which are quite wearable by men, IMO. Those might be worth checking out.

I'm awfully surprised that no one has mentioned Jean Paul Gaultier's vanilla-heavy unisex scent, Gaultier².
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

L'Occitane Eau des Vanilliers. Its a straight vanilla frag. It has a wonderful vanilla note - reminds me of Geir.

Some people have worn vanilla extract.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    L'Occitane Eau des Vanilliers. Its a straight vanilla frag. It has a wonderful vanilla note - reminds me of Geir.

Some people have worn vanilla extract.
    It smells awfully fruity to me... Smells more like a fruity lollipop than creamy vanilla.

Bulgari Black

Well, if truth be told, among this year's offerings, vanilla figures quite prominently in Antidote.

As Scentzilla (I believe) so accurately pointed out, the beauty of this fragrance lies in its basenotes, which have a thrust of vanilla and a bitter Campari-like finish.

I'm not a fan of vanilla - probably because I OD'ied on Givenchy's PI years ago - but Antidote does a fantastic job of counterpointing both sweet and bitter. A lovely fragrance (kudos and all respect to Gary G.303 for pointing that out when he stated he disliked Prada PH in favour of Antidote).

Now though, as much as I enjoy Antidote, I'm hooked on Gaultier2. Don't ask me why because according to its profile it is not at all what I am after today. But, there's more there than just vanilla methinks (unlike Antidote where vanilla is more obvious). I get a deep, almost raunchy note - at least on my skin - that is animalistic, warm and enveloping. Col, thanks for inciting me to go back to the sample I had cast aside from a first impression. I've since acquired the shower gel (lovely) and massage oil (equally lovely).

What can I say? Tastes change and evolve over the years, and sometimes return to the source whence they originated. Here we are, many years later, at square one, with vanilla et al.

Go figure!

Cool Re: Dominant vanilla notes in guys fragrance?

And I'm not at all surprised no one's mentioned IGNITON by Lomani. It's what you want. Good luck finding it on the www!

I prefer Bulgari Black in composition. Yes, I know it's popular but that does not make it average. It's an underrated work of the perfumer's art to me, but I'm specifically addressing your 'men's vanilla edible gourmand' question.

Ignition.

Hell, you might put on a few pounds just sniffing it

Cheers,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

A big thanks for all your informative and entertaining replies. My quest for the ultimate guys 'edible' vanilla frag continues......

In the interum, I've discovered that an Absolut Vanilla martini (or 3) has the same heady affect as the scent of Hypnotic Poison on on a pretty girl......

Funksta

This just agrees with some of the fragrances from above member posts, but my two cents view.

Givenchy Pi
    Gaultier Le Male
    YSL Opium pour Homme
    Bulgari Black

I will have to look into some of the others mentioned here, maybe I could start with your Absolut Vanilla martini. I am sure after a few of those I will have a very different viewpoint of fragrance smells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    And I'm not at all surprised no one's mentioned IGNITON by Lomani. It's what you want. Good luck finding it on the www!

I prefer Bulgari Black in composition. Yes, I know it's popular but that does not make it average. It's an underrated work of the perfumer's art to me, but I'm specifically addressing your 'men's vanilla edible gourmand' question.

Ignition.

Hell, you might put on a few pounds just sniffing it

Cheers,

Mario.

Mario: THANK YOU!!! I bought this blind because of your description and it is WONDERFUL! It is as good as Pi, G2, etc. and at less than $20 , it's a steal.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Makes me feel good, too! I **ALSO** purchased one based on your recommendation -- waiting for it to arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Mario: THANK YOU!!! I bought this blind because of your description and it is WONDERFUL! It is as good as Pi, G2, etc. and at less than $20 , it's a steal.

Dan
    NoNonScents!! Getting Ready to Retire....

Acier Aluminium - Vanillic warmth with a metallic tang, unique and avant-garde. A hall of mirrors for oriental scentheads. Maybe not your thing, but well worth a sample.

Bijan - The original 80s formula for men. I like how the vanilla, vetiver and spices intertwine. I get a vibe between spice cake and fresh-baked bread with this. Odd I grant you, and even if you don't get your gourmand kicks with this you still can't go wrong. Just easy on the pump and you'll be fine.

MPG Ambre Precieux - There is some spice in here, but on me it's just very sweet without going over the cliff into cloying territory. Just use a little less than you think you need with this - it hangs on forever. Development could be more animated, but it's nonetheless impressive in its carmelized, roasted-marshmallows-in-an-old-library-fireplace sort of way - and sweet was not so long ago not my thing at all.

Zino Davidoff - Gothic, primal and very sensual with near-constant shifts in texture and feel - complexity for hours (if not days). A slow walk through a forest with decaying deciduous leaves on the ground and past a garden of dense, vibrant flowers before going inside an old cabin to warm oneself by a fire, light some incense and eat vanilla ice cream.

Or something like that...
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

laguna pour homme - salvador dali

vanilla monster!

While Hypnotic Poison is more of a floral vanilla, Pi would be the closest male equivalent, IMO.