Code of Conduct

Default L'Occitane Eau Des Baux ( A quick review)

Les Baux is a village from Province out of which these historical French Knights came, so says the packaging of Eau Des Baux, the latest men's scent from L'Occitane. It also mentions Cypress and Incense being the main component notes of the scent. I'm not sure of the cypress but I do get the incense and a very nice one at that. Not the wild prominent sort of incense like that in Gucci PH or the like but a smokiness at the background like Tea for Two is said to be smokey. In fact EDB reminded me a lot of T42 at first, even though there are no tea-like notes in it. Very similar balmy medicinal opening and sweetish smokey dry down but EDB has much more prounounced medicinal, sharp, dry qualities which makes it very musculine, not unisex. In the mid notes I get something rubbery like the note so common in scents like Bulgari black, Jaipur and other orientals of that kind. But is EDB an oriental? I guess it is quite close except the super subtlety and the unusual notes, which I can hardly identify. In the far end of the dry down it turns into something sweet creamy and edible, the kind of smell usually associated with the gourmands but not sure if it's coffee or tea, not likely. Some vanilla? May be but it gets quite sweet as I'm wearing it right now. Strange how this scent can be described as both 'creamy' and 'dry'. Makes me think of a very sugary kind of peanut butter gone dried.
    This is quite a subtle scent in fact, nothing that will be too loud or too heavy, sweet but not in the way like BK or Allure. Imagine a very quiet and restrained version of mentioned scents, all the while maintaining something dry and medicinal. It is the strongest of all three L'Occitane scents I tested, the other two being L'Occitan and Eau de Baudian but nonetheless still very subtle. I won't say EDB is as complex as the L'artisans or Creeds but it does expand and develop quite a lot. If not for that slight bit of synthetic-ness common to those bath and body product houses like Crabtree, Body shop etc, this scent has the composition that can easily compete with many other higher end niche houses like L'artisan, Diptyque etc. Still this by far surpasses the designer level fragrances.
    Needless to say I pruchased a bottle of this and quite happy about it. I would like to hear what others have to say about this nice new launch from L'Occitane which IMO really deserves some highlight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: L'Occitane Eau Des Baux ( A quick review)

Thanks for the review! Agreed that this is a nice scent. Wood, tobacco and incense to my nose. On me this stuff is potent and long-lasting.

I'm a big fan of L'Occitane Vetyver as well. Both are superb bargain at $40 for 100ml.

I plan to pick up Eau de Badian soon.

As an aside, I love the L'Occitane spray mechanisms- they issue a nice wide-pattern blast with minimal effort.

I have yet to put it on a full day test run so I can't comment on the longevity but I agree that it is quite potent as it has quite a presence on the skin but it doesn't project much but stays close to the skin. That's why I said it was subtle.
    When I tested them Eau de Badian and L'occitan were way too subtle, like an initial blast of something green then I couldn't detect what they were all about. I will test them again. I like L'Occitane's bottles and packaging too.

I really like EDB. I bought it after Marlen did a review on Now Smell This and he loved it as well. I think the above review is pretty close to how I feel about the fragrance. I do get a good bit of cypress through the middle notes. This one and Vetyver are favorites of mine because they have this masculine, but simplistic nature about them.

If this were put out by a major house, we would be hearing much more about it I think. For 40$, the L'Occitane fragrances are a great buy.

I wore this one today and it was a bit less magical. I think I was getting a lot of vanilla. I might have applied too much on... don't know. :/
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Very pleasant when first applied, this turned into a vanilla-chocolate-caramel
    mess after half-an-hour. Dior Homme and Arpege pour Homme both share this nauseating drydown. L'Occtiane usually makes a good product: Eau des Quatre Voleurs and Vetyver are both fine fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. I will have to try this.
    I only recently began trying L'Occitane products and have been pleasantly surprised at every turn.
    I guess I expected their frags to be a bit one note and cheap smelling. They are anything but! I'll look forward to trying this next time I'm at the mall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mugler
    In fact EDB reminded me a lot of T42 at first, even though there are no tea-like notes in it. Very similar balmy medicinal opening and sweetish smokey dry down but EDB has much more prounounced medicinal, sharp, dry qualities which makes it very musculine, not unisex.
    I thought exactly the same when I sampled Eau Des Baux! If I wouldn't already own T42, I would have bought EDB instantly!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: L'Occitane Eau Des Baux ( A quick review)

i love this and sniff it every time i'm in the store! if anyone wants to swap or otherwise pass on a small decant of E d Baux please let me know....don't think i can spring for a whole bottle...thanks!

Now that there's a L'Occitane accessible in my area I've become a recent fan of their compositions. Eau des Baux was an instant love at first sniff! Happy about its longevity too.

L'Occitane scents are great because you can actually smell its different facets and they're not too fussy so you can wear it for any occasion.

L'Occitan is one that I also like, but the lavender didn't extend itself enough througout the scent to warrant a purchase. 4 Voleurs (I love that name!) is for the darn serious gentleman, or for the man who likes the smell of a soapy rose.

I was afraid of testing E.d Badian on my skin...the citrus was overwhelming sniffing the bottle, I couldn't even detect the badian. One day perhaps, because I do love the smell of badian.

Lavender Harvest is on my wish list along w/ Neroli, Ambre, and E.d Vanilliers.

I love going in there too, the women are so nice and accomodating. Must be all that lavender they're sniffing..hehe!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Following the positive comments re L' Occitane fragrances I went to their shop. Off hand the limited sillage and longevity may be a drawback, but scentwise they are great! Since I can only concentrate on two smells at a time, I took scented strips home. Now, two days later, I find it hard to discern one from the other. They faded rather quickly (in spite of a routine I have with little plastic bags). I'll try once more, and on skin, but only the one that lasts best.
    Which one would that be
    Last edited by narcus; 15th December 2006 at 07:51 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.