Code of Conduct

Default Many new fragrences at TJ Maxx!

The Maxx has really stocked up for the holidays recently! Some very good stuff to be had.

Kiehl's Musk for $20. I wasn't sure about it at first. A little too powdery until it settles, but becomes quite animalistic. It's growing on me.

Lanvin Arpege for $16 for 4 oz! What a great scent! Fruit and woods. Not your usual 2005 watery scent. This could be world class!

Lanvin Vetyver for $10. OK, this fragrence SUCKS as a vetyver, BUT as a light,crisp, fresh summer fragrences its quite good! If you ignore that its called Vetyver, you may be pleased with it as a summer or office scent.

Bulgari pour Homme (can't remember the price). I'm not a huge fan. It smells good enough, but in minutes its almost non-existant on me.

Dunhil for Men (1934). This is a true classic! One of the most masculine scents ever made. I don't wear it very often, but when I'm in the mood, nothing else will do! Its almost like it belongs in a collection whether its worn or not.

There's still plenty of YSL Rive Gauche to be had.

Default Re: Many new fragrences at TJ Maxx!

I've seen all of those things there for months. They may be getting more in for the holidays, but the newest thing I saw there last time was a lot of YSL Pour Homme and tons of gift sets of Jil Sander Pure (one of the lamest fragrances in history) and Jil Sander no. 4.

I remember we talked about a TJMaxx/Marshalls Sticky before (which wasn't necessarily a great idea for non US b-noters), but could we at least tag on new "finds" to an existing thread? This way, there aren't 17 TJMaxx/Marshalls threads each week. For example, perhaps this thread could be one that could keep us going for the next few months, or one of the mods could merge this one with an existing thread. One could put the date they went to the store and what they found. Then, interested Bnoters could just look at the dates.

Like: 11/11 (the last time I was at one): YSL Pour Homme ($24.99), JIl Sander Pure GIft set ($19.99), Jil Sander no 4 Gift Set ($29.99?), etc.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 30th November 2006 at 07:21 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I've simply decided that T.J. Maxx just doesn't have the good deals I thought. I'm not going to waste my time visiting the store any more.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    I've simply decided that T.J. Maxx just doesn't have the good deals I thought. I'm not going to waste my time visiting the store any more.
    +1.

Oh, no!! I can't give up the Maxx or Marshall's! Retail therapy at its finest!
    I can go in the stores and know that I'll never do too much damage.

Also, the last time I went in each of them, I didn't buy a thing. My powers of resistance are growing.

After a long day, it does me good just to stroll around and browse. And if I want something, spending south of $30 ain't gonna hurt me!

I might be their biggest fan!

Yeah, with the Scentiments shop nearby, i've lost all incentive to scour the disorganized racks of TJ Maxx & Marshalls as well - unless i'm dreadfully bored and needing to kill a few moments of my lunch break. their deals will never match up to those of scentiments and the headache of sifting through so much crap to unearth one or two semi-precious stones hardly seems worth it anymore.

I worked at a TJ Maxx up until a few weeks ago, just for the scents.

You see, where I live (a college town), the department stores at the mall are rather small and carry only the super-mainstream fragrances (Acqua di Gio occupies seemingly a quarter of the space there). There really isn't anywere to go to get good smellies, other than TJ Maxx and Ross, since they get in stuff that doesn't get to our department stores. Since inconsiderate customers usually open the packages up, it's easy to get a sniff (and maybe a quick spray ) and decide whether or not it's something I like. The only other options for me are buying blind off of the internet, paying full department store prices (though the only thing good they carry around here is Burberry London), or driving 200 miles to Pittsburgh or Philadelpia and going to a "real" department store.

In the idea world, I would sample it first at a deparment store and buy it on the internet. Sampling/buying at TJ Maxx is a good choice for me because even though the deals may not be the best, at least I can have something I want *right then* with only paying a small premium over buying online.

Yeah I'm a fan too. In my town, other than TJ's, there's nothing but the drugstore selection. Wal-Mart is the most exotic selection in town, unless I check up at TJ's now and then. I do like being able to buy something off the shelf if I can, just to get a "quick fix", in between the expensive stuff I obsess about online. This Arepege might be a good one. Either that or the Baldessarini I've been contemplating - (which is $25 for the refillable metal 1.7 oz). Its a good place to get deodorant and body wash too, unless you're as critical about those as you are about fragrances.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

girls, I was at marshall's today at the beverly connection and they have gucci pour homme I think it's 20 bucks and a little gucci eau de parfum in a 1 oz bottle for 24 bucks which... was in the men's section but from what I see in the database... must be a female fragrance?

I was there to return this jil sander thing I got that I never cracked open cause it's for women. oh yeah they did have jil sander for men I don't think it was called pur. one of the bottles was out of the box. an ungainly looking bottle that might be nice if it felt more substantial but it feels cheap and the smell of the nozzle was not conducive to my spraying it on myself...

but I will probably go to sephora tomorrow to try the guccis cause I have the store credit!

For what it's worth, I picked up a Gucci Pour Homme gift set with the aftershave at another store around town and I think it's awesome. Well worth a sniff at $20.

Go for the Arpege PH over the Baldessarini if you want a gourmand that is sensual in nature. If you want a work scent, though, Baldessarini is the choice. It's lighter and more of a day-to-day choice. The ancillaries (deo, shower gel) can be had for dirt cheap as well. I think chicks dig both. I've had positive remarks on both.

It's the best option in town for me. It's either that or go to mall and get too much "help" from a SA when I just want to see what's there. The nearest Sephora is two hours out of town. Plus, it's cheaper at TJ Maxx. I'll actually take a chance on something like Salvador Dali Pour Homme for $20 (and find out I really like it).

Maybe it's just because I'm stuck here in the red state armpit known as Okiebozo Shitty, but the two TJMaxxes here (one in OKC, one in Edmond) both suck -- and pretty bad, at that.

I have found Signature by S.T. Dupont at one of them once, I think, and there's always a ready supply of the (lamentably discontinued) Halston 1-12 at both stores. Occasionally I see Baldessarini (big whoop), and (even more rarely) KLHomme (not too bad, but nothing to write home about). Still, I always look forward to trips to Kansas City and Dallas (the closest large cities) so I can see what their TJMaxx stores have that ours don't. (And that's usually a lot.)

One thing I CAN say about the TJMaxxes locally is that they often DO have some GREAT scented candles, including Rigaud and (occasionally) L'Occitane.

The Marshalls here (we have two now) are always far better stocked than the TJMaxxes here -- at least in terms of frags -- although neither rivals the Marshalls stores I visit in Chicago and elsewhere.

Another personal "bargain basement" favorite (when I'm out of town, anyway): Filene's. Wish we had one here. (Hell, there's not even one in Dallas.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Sorry about the "sorry" state of your Maxx's and Marshall's.

I guess I'm just blessed. These stores in Augusta, GA, are always stocked with great scents. I can go there right now and get Bvlgari Aqva, RL Romance Silver or Black, and Issey Bleue. And many, many others.

I don't know how the distribution works. Some stores get crap, some get gold. I know these same stores get nice men's suits in their Atlanta stores, while we hardly ever get suits here. I'll take the scents, they're cheaper...

oh yeah I saw bulgari blv at marshall's as well but in the women's area so I forgot to check the price.

after trying rive gauche and having no use for it I need to test before buying... luckily we have a sephora here too... !

I just bought a Gucci PH 3.4 fl oz for $25 at my Marshalls. They also have Kiehls OM for $35. I didn't like the KOM at first but I smelled it later and it was quite animalic and I liked it. I hope to go back to Marshalls tomorrow. I'm thinking about getting it, but I'm not exactly sure. It'd be nice to get a ride to TJ Maxx as well. My Marshalls also had Arpege. Is this scent worth $15? I already have Rochas Man. Since Arpege is a gorumand is it even worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Maybe it's just because I'm stuck here in the red state armpit known as Okiebozo Shitty, but the two TJMaxxes here (one in OKC, one in Edmond) both suck -- and pretty bad, at that.

I have found Signature by S.T. Dupont at one of them once, I think, and there's always a ready supply of the (lamentably discontinued) Halston 1-12 at both stores. Occasionally I see Baldessarini (big whoop), and (even more rarely) KLHomme (not too bad, but nothing to write home about). Still, I always look forward to trips to Kansas City and Dallas (the closest large cities) so I can see what their TJMaxx stores have that ours don't. (And that's usually a lot.)

One thing I CAN say about the TJMaxxes locally is that they often DO have some GREAT scented candles, including Rigaud and (occasionally) L'Occitane.

The Marshalls here (we have two now) are always far better stocked than the TJMaxxes here -- at least in terms of frags -- although neither rivals the Marshalls stores I visit in Chicago and elsewhere.

Another personal "bargain basement" favorite (when I'm out of town, anyway): Filene's. Wish we had one here. (Hell, there's not even one in Dallas.)
    TVL, thanks for the tip on Filene's basement. I'm gonna go visit it today to see what I can find.

I never see any great finds in the TJ Maxx store here in Rock Hill. I see the usual ho-hum sorta of things like, Aqua di Gio, Zirh and a host of Coty's offerings. Every once in a while, I'll find something by Fendi, Diesel or Remy Latour. I never see Ungaro. Never see Kiehl's, which I wish I would, because I love Kiehl's! It's so smutty!....and cheap! I did'nt find Gucci when I was there last. I went next door to Ross and found one bottle of Gucci ph, along with Opium ph and a bunch of other stuff that TJ should have been selling.

Now that it's the holiday season, I should give TJ Maxx another go. If I don't see anything in there other than the usual swill that is ALWAYS there, I will never darken the door of that store again!!!

S

I don't have a TJ Maxx here in my town but we do have a Marshall's and I drop by there once a week or so to see what's turned up. I haven't really found much interesting there - and the things I DO find are typically not priced very well. Last week they had a travel size of Gucci PH for - $29.00! which is an insane price for a tiny travel size. They've got tons of Perry Ellis stuff, and they do have some Bulgari stuff too (again, at unremarkable prices)

I check out Ross too, but haven't found any great deals there either - almost grabbed a bottle of Guess for men 1.7 for $13.99 but passed on it since I'm trying very hard to not buy anything blind for awhile. Their selection of Women's scents seems a bit better.