Code of Conduct

Default Young children & fragrance

I have a friend who has a young son (about 18 months old - walking unsteadily but not talking) for whom I am going to buy a decant of fragrance.

Two Questions:

1: What fragrance would be suitable for a very young child? My choice would be Baby Blue Jeans.

2. What is the best way to apply it?

Any suggestions from the floor?

QE

Default Re: Young children & fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by QuietEarth
    I have a friend who has a young son (about 18 months old - walking unsteadily but not talking) for whom I am going to buy a decant of fragrance.

Two Questions:

1: What fragrance would be suitable for a very young child? My choice would be Baby Blue Jeans.

2. What is the best way to apply it?

Any suggestions from the floor?

QE
    You know, just this week I saw in a perfume shop fragrances specifically for children — one was a Dora the Explorer fragrance and the other I didn't look closely at. So there are now scents marketed for children.

Eluard

If you ask me, that's pretty messed up. =/

Baby powder would be just fine.
    -

what pleasure could an 18 month old child derive from wearing a fragrance ? :S

Dependent

Petit Guerlain and Petits et Maman are both formulated to be less irritating to young skin I believe; light citrussy florals that are fresh and not overbearing.

Are you serious lol? That just sounds rediculous to me.

It's like those mothers who start putting makeup and whatnot on their daughters when they're 4 years old.

I don't understand why an 18 month old child would need to be wearing any type of fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam
    I don't understand why an 18 month old child would need to be wearing any type of fragrance.
    To pick up babes @ daycare, of course!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thrax

If I ever have a son he is gonna dig on L'artisans, just like his dear ol' daddy. I believe he will be a Mure et Musc boy in his early years but eventually going to Mechant Loup when he gets to high school.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    To pick up babes @ daycare, of course!
    lol Oh yea ! duhhh, why didn't I think of that :P
    Naptime could be troublee
    Last edited by 1280adam; 2nd December 2006 at 03:00 AM.

I'm assuming you aren't serious about this and this question was a joke, but just in case, I have to give an answer. I have to jump on board as saying that this is an awful idea. There is no reason to be spraying a child, especially one who isn't able to make any semblence of rational decisions for themselves. God forbid the kid is allergic to it, has a reaction or even hates it. There is no reason to do this for a kid.

They (J&J) have something called Baby Cologne that I bought for my niece. Probably scented baby oil or something. She's 17 months old and I have sprayed one spray of TM Cologne on her, now I wouldn't go out and buy her some cologne of her own. She even watches her mom put on deodorant and lifts her arm wanting some put on her of course she doesn't, but if your not careful she will find it on her own and atempt to anyways. but young children learn from watching thier parent(s) do things even at that young of an age. That's not messed up at all. Though I would wait for the child to grow before I fully introduced them to fragrances.

For my two cents I will agree with the majority and say not a good idea. The baby cannot appreciate the scent. Any aromatherapy involvement needed could just as well come from the baby oils or talc. Also worried about sensitivities if spraying on something not designed as such.

Those making the fragrances for babies are most likely in in only for the money. To be bought by those people that buy designer clothes for their child only to have the child outgrow the clothes in a few months.

Allllllllrighty then, I guess the general consensus is "No way!".

Just thought I'd ask. I'll save my money and buy something for his mother. Or better yet - me.

I'd say A*Men, and spray it right in his eyes.

I don't think its a good idea to spray babies who don't even know that it smells good. I believe most of these children's fragrances (mickey mouse, donald duck, thundercats, etc) are for ages 5 and up at least. I would have wanted to wear "goofy" cologne when I was seven, wouldn't you? (its all marketing, but if the kids are old enough to decide to wear it for themselves, I think it's ok.)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

While the baby might not appreciate it, there might be aromathereaputic effects.

Also babies often stink to high heaven. Usually a change of the diaper will fix it, but that is not always feasible immediately.

I'd go with something light like 4711 or Agua Lavanda.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

In S. Florida we use a wonderful light eau fraiche of violets. Wonderful on hot days for a baby's head. A combo of lavender and lemon also works well for babies. I'm not aware of cold-weather babies being scented with anything, however. But for specific purposes, in Germany, there's a line of aromatherapy for babies, lavender/mandarin for night-time, a chamomile based scent for calm-down, and myrtle/tangerine for focusing attention. My kids love them.

now if you're talking about doing it for the aromatheraputic effects for the baby, then I'm on board.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Shades of Jon Benet Ramsay -- sorry, but it strikes me as creepy.
    What next -- lingerie for tots?
    Nipple piercings for toddlers, perchance?
    Why not thongs to wear to Montessori?

Baby powder should suffice.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Aromatherapy?

Just think about this. Most popular colognes are made of a patchwork of various chemicals, many of which are undoubtedly toxic, carcinogenic, etc. The jury is out on whether or not dousing yourself in cologne everyday of your life is possible to lead to negative health effects down the road. It isn't totally wild and unfeasible to argue that it's possible.

So how could you justify exposing a little, tiny child who to this stuff? They're in a critical phase of development, their bodymass is 1/5th of yours or mine.

Also same thing goes for allergies I'd say. They're always telling parents these days not to give their kids certain things which are common allergies until they're at least several years old as it's possible to help them develop one, stuff like peanuts, shellfish etc. etc.

So again, there are tons of people who allergics to the constituents of fragrance. I can't see how spraying this kind of stuff on a baby so they're forced to inhale it all day whether they like it or not, not knowing how they'll react to such compounds is a good thing.

I mean I just don't see how anybody can logically justify doing something like this to themselves.. Everyone wants their children to share their hobbies, but you ought to wait and let them decide themselves. I can't understand this sense of satisfaction someone gets from buying and putting perfume on an infant. Everyone would think you are such a weirdo.

Dependent

It sure seems to me that some folk are overreacting here. Are we all admitting the line of toxic and allergenic character to fragrances??? Yes, fragrances DO have chemicals in them. None of us who wear them every day really believe this is dangerous to us, do we? Why do they suddenly become terrible things when applied to young skin? One will see very quickly if something applied to one's skin is allergenic, and it can readily be discontinued, but that tendency is by far the exception than the rule.

The fragrances I suggested come in formulations that are alcohol-free is there is any worry about that particular ingredient. There are numerous studies that suggest that exposing young children to music, art, and wonderful things does allow them to appreciate such artwork more as they become older. Why would exposure to the artwork which is fragrance be any less potentially useful? Perhaps they will become more adept as discerning notes as they come into their years. Who knows, really? Is there any evidence that fragrances are actually harmful to kids? The intensely negative speculative comments seem out of place to me here. If the 'fumes are really so terrible, why do YOU wear them?

docluv, are you an actual doctor? just curious.

i have a massage oil for my 4 month old that has chamomile, lavender and calendula in it in small quantities (from nature's gift, purveyors of fine EOs). seemed to be soothing when rubbing his tummy to help with gas, and a very subtle but delightful smell. good for the skin (eg, diaper rash) and atomatherapeutically calming. no other ingredients other than the EOs in an almond oil base.

anything stronger really bugs me. why cover up that glorious baby smell? that's crazy!

as far as chemicals in perfumery, they are myriad. do they all get tested by the FDA? do they all have MSDS's avilable for them? do we know about transdermal absorbtion rates, half lifes and cumulative effects? as we are adults, i think we can make the decision to accept some risk in exchange for the pleasure we get from frags, but i agree that we should limit children's exposure as much as possible.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    It sure seems to me that some folk are overreacting here. Are we all admitting the line of toxic and allergenic character to fragrances??? Yes, fragrances DO have chemicals in them. None of us who wear them every day really believe this is dangerous to us, do we? Why do they suddenly become terrible things when applied to young skin? One will see very quickly if something applied to one's skin is allergenic, and it can readily be discontinued, but that tendency is by far the exception than the rule.

The fragrances I suggested come in formulations that are alcohol-free is there is any worry about that particular ingredient. There are numerous studies that suggest that exposing young children to music, art, and wonderful things does allow them to appreciate such artwork more as they become older. Why would exposure to the artwork which is fragrance be any less potentially useful? Perhaps they will become more adept as discerning notes as they come into their years. Who knows, really? Is there any evidence that fragrances are actually harmful to kids? The intensely negative speculative comments seem out of place to me here. If the 'fumes are really so terrible, why do YOU wear them?
    Lol well you must understand there is a difference between the effects of X substance on an 18 month old baby and a fully grown adult. Young children are in a critical stage of development and things such as illnesses or whatnot that would be no big deal for grown people can be very serious.

I'm not arguing that it's going to kill you baby if you put fragrance on him or her. I'm just saying, given that there is absolutely no realistic, other than of a speculative nature, of doing this, why take the risk? It isn't speculation that most fragrances contain carcinogenic and otherwise toxic compounds. Nobody knows for sure if the amounts used by the average person are of concern, it's just not something that there is enough concern about to warrent the kinds of studies that would produce results.

And like I said before, it's not a matter of producing an immediate allergic reaction. A lot of the science is starting to show that patterns of what kinds of things a child is exposed to during it's very first few years alive can influence the development of potential allergies. You aren't necessarily born with all your allergies. There are lots of sources that argue that you shouldn't give your child nut products until they're a little older as they believe it can potentially lead to a similar allergy. Why wouldn't you think that a mixture of chemicals might not produce a similar result potentially?

I mean go for it if you want, do whatever you want to your own kids. I don't see this as some kind of horrible child abuse, it just seems utterly pointless. I'm just putting in my two cents.

Like the guy above me said, just let the kids choose when they're old enough to decide.
    Last edited by acehimself; 2nd December 2006 at 07:43 PM.

Marlen/Scenteur 7 has an article on this at his blog - apparently there is a "babies" scent:

http://www.perfumecritic.com/blog/_a...2/2544339.html
    -

My Mom used some kind of German lavender/chamomile pillow spray on my pillows and blankets - it was supposed to induce sleeping for restless babies. It's been 40 yrs, but I remember it as a subtle, soothing and pleasant smell. A good childhood memory.

I'd try something like that instead of a fragrance you put right on the child.