Code of Conduct

Default Noir Epices Revisted

The first time I tested Noir Epices the image that came to mind was a room in a very expensive house, dark wooden chairs with seats of red velvet, rare books in bookcases with wood-framed glass doors, but not dark and musty. The sun was shining in through the open drapes. Pretty much a class act, and amazing in that it has lots of spice, but a noticeable absence of sweetness. Very unique.

Since then I have worn it quite a few times. And my opinion has changed a little. And this might sound bad to some, but I don't see it as bad.

I still see it as a unique fragrance. But I am noticing its strength more and more. And I think I might pit it against some of the power fragrances from the Nineties. Not that it is in the same ballpark in terms of the overall odor. But it does overwhelm the senses with the best of them.
    Last edited by Andrew_B.; 1st December 2006 at 05:25 AM.

Default Re: Noir Epices Revisted

Very interesting view. Never did a room come to my mind, but I could see that now: bright and sunny, as you say. No books, not a living room or library, more a huge hall, staircaise, or something, taking the view into more than one level of a building interior, light from stories above too. Yes those could be the nineties, or sixties even if we stay with architecture. The scent itself seems very contempoary. People who enter or leave this (functional) building are dressed well, some formally even. I see polished stone, concrete, greenery, chrome - a bank maybe or contemporary (European) city hall. A perfect picture, like a first sketch of the architects of stone, steel and light. Also... it is the one perfume that matches the design of Malles packaging best!

(sorry, got carried away here)
    Last edited by narcus; 1st December 2006 at 08:27 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B.
    The first time I tested Noir Epices the image that came to mind was a room in a very expensive house, dark wooden chairs with seats of red velvet, rare books in bookcases with wood-framed glass doors, but not dark and musty. .
    my association with noir epices were just the same

a scent of a refined, luxury house where perhaps a family of some famous French professor of philosophy lives...
    very chic, very academic scent
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I just posted comparison to/comments about Noir Épices in my recent review of Creed's Ambre Canelle (they're close cousins, IMHO), and also in the "similar fragrances" thread currently on the board.

And yes, you're right -- Noir Epices is definitely a scent one could easily associate with erudition.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    (sorry, got carried away here)
    I'm glad you did. And interesting, because someone asked me to what kind of event one might wear this. The image I got was an opening of a rare book exhibition that takes place in a relatively new building with contemporary treatments of concrete and glass. This is not exactly like your building, but the people in my image are also well dressed. Not black tie, but just a step below that.

I can only think of one other fragrance that gave me a strong image. It was a sample of KL Homme by Lagerfeld.

Frederic Malle said himself when doing the "fragrance consultation" with this woman who said she likes MR, Safran Troublant (which he complimented) and. .. a bunch of rich orientals, whose taste he found "very consistent" said to her that Noir Epice would not be right for her because it's "too edgy". After he walked away though she told me she owns it and uses it.

"edgy" said Fred!

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    "edgy" said Fred!
    Hah! That's what I like it for !! I am surprised that women would choose it for themselves.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Edgy? Gad, that is one of the last things I'd call it.