Code of Conduct

Thread: Layered Samsara

Post Thanks / Like

Question Layered Samsara

Yesterday I approached my mini of Samsara again.I have difficulties in wearing it alone, I feel that it ends up smelling cheap and cloying on me but,I haven't given up on it yet so i decided to try layer it with some Tam Dao.The result to me smelled a bit similar to chai tea...or tea with milk...Then I started to think about Omnia...Doesn't this scent get that comparison too? does anyone know the notes it Omnia compared with Samsara+ Tam Dao?

Default Re: Layered Samsara

No, but I have always thought Samsara (anything other than parfum version) layered well with a chocolate note, which the Omnia has.

The things I do for scent

Alright; Samsara and Tam Dao on one hand, Samsara and Omnia on the other.

Topnotes of the layering: comletely different.
    Samsara+TamDao: good / Samsara+Omnia

Drydown: Samsara+TamDao: still going strong. Nice balance between those two, the sweetness of Samsara is still present but controlled by the dry woods.

Samsara+Omnia: becomes a bit soapy and sharp, I don't think they see things eye to eye, at least not on me. I would almost say: now it really smells cheap

Nice experiment, though
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

What about layer:

Samsara with Shalimar
    Samsara with Un Jardin en Mediterranée

of the ones you have in your wardrobe:

Samsara with Champs Elysées
    Samsara with Attraction

Post Thanks / Like

thanks ,I'll try some more layering with some other in my wardrobe then

Post Thanks / Like

I love Samsara EDT layered with 10 Corso Como, which I've heard is similar to Tam Dao. What version of Samsara are you wearing? I just got some parfum, but have not tried layering it with anything yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool I actually have ordered some samples today,and among them 10 corso como.Will check out that combination when it arrives.I have the edt of Samsara...

Post Thanks / Like

I have Samsara in both edt and perfume. I got the perfume more as an item for my perfume collection. I love the edt, on me it last all day. But I agree that it can be overpowering in that typical 1980s vibe (but Guerlains are usually stronger than others anyway).

I think that your combination of Samsara + Tam Dao must work particularly well because both contain lots of sandalwood. Samsara is basically jasmin, iris and sandalwood. Tam Dao is rosewood, cypress and ambergris with a heart sandalwood.

The idea of layering Samsara sounds so intriguing to me... But, at the same time I cannot imagine it somehow. Why mess with perfection?

I like my Samsara straight up!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Smile Re: Layered Samsara

I agree with Goddess. I have the EDP & the EDT. I prefer the EDP. On me, I get the creamiest Vanilla and Sandalwood with a hint of Jasmine, just enough to set it off. I adore it and so why mess with perfection? On the other hand, our skin chemistry and noses are not the same. So, by all means, do what works for you. The idea is to please yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after comparing Samsara parfum to EDT, I finally understand Luca Turin's "heaving bosom" remark about this fragrance -- it's lush and heady in a way the edt is not. The parfum is also mercifully free of that icky (and mercifully fleeting) EDT top note. I'll have to get ahold of some EDP.

While I like the parfum better, I'd hesitate to work (heaving bosoms not really qualifying as a business look ;-) So while the parfum is a better fragrance experience, on a day to day basis, the EDT is more wearable for me. I miss being an independent contractor and working at home.
    Last edited by coumarin; 5th December 2006 at 11:04 PM.

so how is the layerin' goin' ineespenes?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the Ritual Body Lotion, which I really like, for a while. I just picked up a tester of the EDT and am planning to layer it on top of the lotion. I'm looking forward to the experiment.

~S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the EDT and the parfum. I much, much prefer the parfum. And like Goddess, I love the parfum straight. The EDT, however, cannot help but be improved by layering with other scents. cedriceccentric's comment of a distinct iris note along with the jasmine and sandalwood makes me want to try Samsara with other iris dominated / featured scents. So I shall put forward these combo's for people to try:

Samsara + (Hermes) Hiris
    Dior Homme + Samsara
    (Cartier) So Pretty + Samsara
    Samsara + Vol de Nuit
    (Cartier) Le Baiser du Dragon + Samsara
    (Hermes) Bel Ami + Samsara
    JPG Classique EDP + Samsara
    Samsara + (Lanvin) Arpege pour Homme
    (Versace) The Dreamer + Samsara
    Samsara EDT only + (SL) Daim Blond

I also think Daim Blond + Dior homme would make a mind blowing combo, as would Dior homme + Versace the Dreamer...

I so love experimenting with perfumes.
    Last edited by moondeva; 6th December 2006 at 05:26 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still experimenting Tried to layer it with Attraction.to begin with it smelled very fruity and a bit exotic. Later on the Attraction "ate"the Samsara entirely. I know my "messing"with a Guerlain like this sounds terrible....But the scent simply doesn't work well for me alone. It's simply too sweet and cloying on me. I think it's when the vanilla kicks in with the sandalwood....Not sure...Will try layer it with Shalimar and Vol de nuit as well.

I layered it with the original Stella last night and it seemed to work pretty well. Stella has a dark and slightly sour quality that tempered the sweetness of Samsara's vanilla and let me smell more of the jasmine and sandalwood. I'd still classify Samsara as an acquired taste, though - I'll wear it for myself, or with my boyfriend ("you smell like cookies!") but I hesitate to expose strangers to that gargantuan waft of sillage. I tried to wear it to the airport last week and nearly smothered in my own aroma. You think you know motion sickness? Try locking yourself in a tiny airplane cabin or a hot car with Samsara. God only knows how the people sitting next to me must have felt.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense