Code of Conduct

Default Creed's Ambre Canelle: A Review

By far the strongest sillage and greatest longevity of any Creed fragrance I've encountered to date, and WOW -- what an old fashioned chameleon, as well! This stuff goes on (I'm not joking) smelling very, very as though Youth Dew and Noir Epices got together to bump uglies in some posh hotel somewhere and created a love child in the torrid process. (And at first I hated the little bastard, but he quickly grew on me.)

Very stuffy, very dated smelling, very over-the-top in those first 5 or 10 minutes. Even in the first 15 minutes on me, in fact, AC was so strong that it was almost unbearable. (After my first 3 spritzes, I felt as though I'd drenched myself in Youth Dew and then tried to rinse it off with Noir Epices. There's a hint of my faves JHL and Cinnabar here, yes, but far more Youth Dew.)

One of the reviewers mentioned Lutens-like qualities here; I can see that. Dark and rich and gooey, indeed -- palpably sensuous, even. (But definitely a scent that not everyone will like!)

Blessedly, the drydown slowly begins after 15 or 20 minutes. (Even half an hour into this scent, I couldn't help but think, "Whoa -- better, but maybe this stuff is still not for me!") Very soon, though, it started to mellow into a musky, smoky, woody, rich concoction, especially on my pulse points. In doing so, it went from being "ambergris from hell" (or "Youth Dew on acid," if you will) to one of the most pleasant things I've ever smelled on my skin. (My husband of twelve years ended up deciding that this was/is "Youth Dew on testosterone.")

The cinnamon is always playing in the background, yet remains relatively inobtrusive. (Odd, given the scent's name.) I also can't help but pick up a dark patchouli -- or something equally woody, mysterious and powerful -- even though I've not seen that listed among the notes. This is definitely a power scent, and yet also very romantic at the same time. I read once that Catherine Deneuve favors Noir Epices. (Were she to go a little more Anglo and far less Franco, surely Ambre Canelle would be her first scent of choice.)

One of the reviewers mentioned jasmine, and, well, I just don't get that -- not at all. I'm not saying that there's none there, but trust me when I say that jasmine is NOT one of the notes I pick up!

Ambre Canelle is a largely unisex power scent, very much in the same vein as Noir Epices, JHL and Piper Nigrum. Be advised though, that it MUST be applied with caution. Also, bear in mind that it should be put on a minimum of 30 minutes prior to going out, else you'll likely give everyone around you a nasty case of ambergris toxicity.

I intend to always have a bottle of this stuff on hand now, you bet. But, like Iquitos, Magie Noire and Ténéré (three other dark favorites of mine), Ambre Canelle will NOT be one that I'll spritz on daily. (No, it's one of those scents I'll definitely have to be in the mood for.) Highly complex, awfully deep, relatively formal . . . and likely not for everyone. But for the incredibly low price I bought it (a paltry $35, plus $10 s/h for the 2.5 oz. tester size from eBay seller creedirect -- really the Bond No. 9 store in NYC, I've been told), I sure as hell couldn't go wrong. Am damn glad I made this purchase.

If you get a sample, be sure to a) give that first phoenix of a spritz to "die and be re-born from its ashes" first, and then b) let us all know what you think of this little known Creed frag (dare I say "masterpiece?").

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Creed's Ambre Canelle: A Review

Loved your review. This is one of my favorite Creeds.

bleu autumn haze

Thanks for the review. I have not tried many Creed scents, but I sure want to sample this one now.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Lovely review, tvlampboy, thank you! I wasn't interested in giving Creeds another try, but now you got me going ... Lutens-like qualities... now I simply must sample Ambre Canelle!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker