Code of Conduct

Default I tried Creed Royal Ceylan!

Ok today I was at my local Neiman Marcus on my way out and I see this table of Creed Royal Ceylan! There were a bunch of the 1.7 oz leather atomizer bottles for sale at a ridiculous price of $270 each. They also had three of the limited edition 8.4 oz flacons sitting on the table! They were individually numbered out of 240. I haven't really paid attention to the details of this fragrance as Creed's limited edition marketing gimmick has turned me off. This saleslady came up and was like all our Creeds are at this (another) booth. So I tried to explain to her that I wanted to try this one and it's limited edition. She had no idea what I was saying or what Royal Ceylan was. Finally to my surprise I see a 2.5 oz tester labeled Royal Ceylan. I immiediately sprayed a bunch on my hand. . So now the lady searches all over for 2.5 and 4.0 oz bottles of this stuff which I try to explain to her they don't exist. I asked if she could make a sample for me but she said they didn't have any empty sample vials.
    Now to the fragrance itself. This stuff is a total sham. It is a nice light, green tea, ginger, slightly citrusy scent. I doused my hand with it yet it was still pretty light. A few hours later I could still smell it so the lasting power was good just not strong sillage which isn't always a bad thing. The scent is totally linear on me with hardly any change at the drydown. It somewhat reminds me of New Tabarome just take away the tobacco, tone down the ginger a little, and add some green tea and a slight floral note. Ok so I'm not saying this scent is bad just not worth the asking price as I can get like 4 bottles of some excellent fragrances instead. To me Creed seems to be all about the quality of their ingredients but haven't mastered the art of blending and perfumery.
    I thought about buying the 8.4 oz oz flacon so we can split it on Basenotes but I just can't manage $400 right now. If anyone wants it I'm sure they still have it. It is the Nordstrom in McLean, Virginia at Tyson's II, their phone number is (703) 761-1121
    Last edited by AZsmells; 4th September 2007 at 10:57 PM.

Default Re: I tried Creed Royal Ceylan!

The prices might be outrageous, but I dont see how Creed's limited editions are any different from the ones L'Artisan have been putting out over the past few years with their "natural harvest" promos.

I guess this one isnt that good then - a sample or decant would be enough to satiate my curiosity, and contribute to the Basenotes reviews directory.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    The prices might be outrageous, but I dont see how Creed's limited editions are any different from the ones L'Artisan have been putting out over the past few years with their "natural harvest" promos.

I guess this one isnt that good then - a sample or decant would be enough to satiate my curiosity, and contribute to the Basenotes reviews directory.
    I agree the l'Artisan promos are expensive too. I have smelled them and they are very nice though. I never tried Creed Feuilles Vert but I heard it was good. The thing that gets me about the Creeds is limiting it to 240 flacons though I guess they do have more with the atomizer. I guess I wouldn't mind it as much if it was actually a great fragrance. The L'Artisan are too floral for me but I think they are very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    I agree the l'Artisan promos are expensive too. I have smelled them and they are very nice though. I never tried Creed Feuilles Vert but I heard it was good. The thing that gets me about the Creeds is limiting it to 240 flacons though I guess they do have more with the atomizer. I guess I wouldn't mind it as much if it was actually a great fragrance. The L'Artisan are too floral for me but I think they are very well made.
    Yea - must be the atomizers. They are quite good and solid, but cant possibly be worth that much. Is this the Erwin influence? Who knows
    -

I think I read somewhere that Erwin Creed said that Creed fear they are losing their "exclusive" brand image a little due to high availability on the usa and on line and so are doing special editions to try to recapture it.

By the way, I quite like the sound of that fragrance. I would love to smell that.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

It's nice enough, though nothing particularly special. The reason the scent is "totally linear" is because it's mostly linalool, actually really heavy on the linalool, the main consituent of Rosewood. I don't know if they'll recover their prestige with these limited editions, but they'll certainly recover their money given that linalool costs next to nothing to buy.

Of course, I could be wrong. Creed might have their own Brazilian Rosewood plantations from which they get the Rosewood/linalool. Maybe Savy_Nose can confirm this.

scentemental

I don't want to turn anyone off, especially the guy I just traded this sample to. I just can't get into this one at all. Maybe my nose isn't set up for it.

All I get is light floral, hairspray and superglue. Now don't get me wrong; My current fragrance hunts are leading me to great things that remind me of bookbinding glue, shaving cream, and metal, so it's strange territory as far as I'm concerned anyway. But something with this much hype should be less specific...or maybe that's part of the whole exclusivity thing.

(goes and tries it again)

I don't know....not for me anyway.

---------------------------

The whole thing about not having any empty sample vials sounds familiar (to say the least!). Neiman's is shitty in this regard. They supposedly offer this great sample-making service, but can never provide it. ORDER SOME GOD DAMN VIALS, LADY!

You have to bring your own. I know I'm not the only one who does. Just make sure to ask for permission first. (after you make them tell you that they are out of their own, of course.)
    Last edited by Scentronic; 1st December 2006 at 11:30 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I think I read somewhere that Erwin Creed said that Creed fear they are losing their "exclusive" brand image a little due to high availability on the usa and on line and so are doing special editions to try to recapture it.

By the way, I quite like the sound of that fragrance. I would love to smell that.
    You mean this article ?

http://www.creedperfumes.us/pdf/Vani...tober_2006.pdf
    -

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

Of course, I could be wrong. Creed might have their own Brazilian Rosewood plantations from which they get the Rosewood/linalool. Maybe Savy_Nose can confirm this.

scentemental
    Ha!

Scentemental, can we give some more indepth comments from you on the recent Ambre Cannelle, Aubepine Acacia, Acier Aluminum and Royal Scottish Lavender threads ?
    -

I tried Royal Ceylan too !

Azsmells hit the nail on the head with his comments.

Royal Ceylan is light, with a pleasant citrus-ginger-salty accord which undergoes little evolution, it any. Longevity is good, but sillage is low.

This one is definitely not worth the big bucks they are asking for. Its not a horrible scent, but its not very good either, and it just doesnt justify the asking price. Its nowhere near as good as Feuille Verte (was). Skip this one folks.
    -

To me Creed seems to be all about the quality of their ingredients but haven't mastered the art of blending and perfumery.
    couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    couldn't agree more!
    Come on... although it might not be the most innovative scent ever created, you can't deny that Millésime Impérial is blended very (very) well

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    Come on... although it might not be the most innovative scent ever created, you can't deny that Millésime Impérial is blended very (very) well
    Creed? Blech! That 240 year old fossil of a house can't blend its way out of a natural ingredient blending pot!

For earth shatteringly groundbreaking scents and extremely superb blending, look no further than the house that creates fragrances which "speak to you" - L'Artisan perfumer
    -

Creed? Blech! That 240 year old fossil of a house can't blend its way out of a natural ingredient blending pot!

For earth shatteringly groundbreaking scents and extremely superb blending, look no further than the house that creates fragrances which "speak to you" - L'Artisan perfumer
    I certainly agree with you on l'Artisan and I'd choose almost all of their scents over a Creed but the latter does have it's gems (Royal English Leather, Vétiver, Millésime Impérial).

My Creed SA at NM was kind enough to mail me a sample of Royal Ceylan before it even reached the shelves, but on me, it was just a sharp, light lemon-floral blend - definitely not in the same league as Feuille Verte, in any way, shape or form. It seemed more like a summer body spritz than an actual perfume, worthy of only drugstore/B&BW price range (though I would've loved to have owned one of those Royal Ceylan atomizers).

By the way, does anyone have information on Creed's upcoming launch for 2007, Virgin Island Waters? (yeah, the company needs to hire someone to come up with more interesting, original names for these scents)

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901
    By the way, does anyone have information on Creed's upcoming launch for 2007, Virgin Island Waters? (yeah, the company needs to hire someone to come up with more interesting, original names for these scents)
    Wow, pretty cheesy name indeed

This is a point where l'Artisan does 200% better!

It is a nice light, green tea, ginger, slightly citrusy scent. I doused my hand with it yet it was still pretty light. A few hours later I could still smell it so the lasting power was good just not strong sillage which isn't always a bad thing.
    So is this anything like Bulgari's BLV Pour Homme?

Nobody might attack you, you didn't use the word 'overrated'

Have you tried Ananas Fizz? Is that a joke, or a groundbreaking scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Nobody might attack you, you didn't use the word 'overrated'

Have you tried Ananas Fizz? Is that a joke, or a groundbreaking scent?
    I was being sarcastic - I havent tried Pineapple Fizz, so I dont know whether its a joke or not. But L'Artisan does make me laugh
    -