Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Anyone else already addicted?

Two weeks ago, I went to Nordstrom with the intention of expanding my wardrobe from ONE fragrance to TWO (already had Dior Hypnotic Poison, which I impulse-bought a year ago and hardly wore, then fell for the hype in Nordstrom and bought Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb). Somehow between then and now, I've discovered Basenotes and several perfume blogs, and my wardrobe is up to 6 frags, with at least two dozen samples in the mail! Dear lord, what have I done? I'm completely hooked. Ah well, there's certainly worse addictions. But I'm curious if most people have eased their way into this hobby, or whether you've fallen in head-first (or nose-first;-) like I seem to be?

Default Re: Anyone else already addicted?

haha, I've been refraining myself at the moment. I'm waiting until I finish with university finals in 1-2 weeks before I do some serious scent testing and splurging. I've been using only one frag bottle at a time for the past five years but ever since finding bassnotes, I think I'm gonna get hooked on scents. I can't believe it never dawned on me to buy multiple scents at a time. Thank you basenotes!

I'm about 1 year in, have spent over two grand, and have obtained and/or traded sixty bottles or so. It is more costly than a drug habit.

When you find yourself at TJ Maxx at 9:59, right before they close, just so you can pick up some Shalimar for a quick fix, think of me - because I'm there too, getting my rive gauche.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

OMG YES!!! This site is turning me into a total fragrance junkie!!! I love it!
    ~*Christy*~

You go girl!

I got here in September and within the last month ONLY have acquired SIX..count 'em...SIX FB (Frag-speak for Full Bottle, as opposed to, say, decant or sample) of new juices. Twenty some-odd decants and at least a hundred samples.

To say nothing of some great new friends.

Ain't it COOL!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

yes and going into debt. not realy but yes im addicted and love it.

Oh good, I had a feeling I wasn't alone... this is just far too interesting a world that I never really knew existed... I feel like I have so much catching up to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl
    Two weeks ago, I went to Nordstrom with the intention of expanding my wardrobe from ONE fragrance to TWO (already had Dior Hypnotic Poison, which I impulse-bought a year ago and hardly wore, then fell for the hype in Nordstrom and bought Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb). Somehow between then and now, I've discovered Basenotes and several perfume blogs, and my wardrobe is up to 6 frags, with at least two dozen samples in the mail! Dear lord, what have I done? I'm completely hooked. Ah well, there's certainly worse addictions. But I'm curious if most people have eased their way into this hobby, or whether you've fallen in head-first (or nose-first;-) like I seem to be?
    Silvergirl,
    If we're reading this post, 98% chance we are addicted!

"My name is Blah Blah, and I'm a fragrance addict"
    Collective response: "Hi, Blah Blah!"

Yeah, that Flowerbomb is just the nuttiest package, isn't it?

I pretty musch dove in headfirst at the deep end.

Deep, hard, and fast, that's what it's at. Forget yer crack and basepipes if you've fallen for Serge and basenotes. Or, to quote the updated version of my basenotes song:

If you’re addiction’s not the weed
    But sprays from bottles labeled Creed...

Welcome to Basenotes

If you’re upon the slippery slope
    From heroin to Wolfgang Joop…

Welcome to Basenotes

If every single room
    Is stuffed with fine perfume
    You have some work to do
    But your lost in topnotes of agrumes

Welcome to Basenotes
    Welcome to Basenotes
    Welcome to Basenotes today

If you can’t help but buying Carven
    Although your family’s nearly starvin’…

Welcome to Basenotes

If you would sell your son or daughter
    For a flask of Purple Water

Welcome to Basenotes…

If you’re refrigerator
    Is a fragrance conservator
    And the postman at your door
    Brings you more and more perfumes galore

Welcome to Basenotes
    Welcome to Basenotes
    Welcome to Basenotes today

If homo Lutens is your species
    Or you own fifteen Villoresis,
    If you learnt your French from Boucheron
    Oui oui, je suis Comme des Garcons
    If Caron’s not Leslie and Malle ain’t Louis
    If you’re cheating on your mate with Andy Tauer or Anna Sui
    Come in and find out, kind Madam or Sir
    You don’t need to wear clothes, just some Musc Ravageur…

If you prowl the neighborhood
    In search of better sandalwood

Welcome to Basenotes…

If all you think from dawn till dusk
    Is “amber, vetiver and musk”

Welcome to Basenotes

If your well-equipped proboscis
    Blindly knows which one the Boss is
    And who’s wearing Dior Homme
    In an auditorium...

Reviews and news and fragrance banter
    Newbie, junkie and decanter
    US folks and British blokes
    History and Kouros jokes
    Uncommon scents
    Nosed with no pretense
    It’s all here (whatever the weather)
    It’s all here (Chypre, Fougère or leather)
    It’s all here on Basenotes today!!!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

WOW, the_good_life. That cracked me up, that's awesome!

Good point, Cognoscento... probably only an addict would open and read a post with this title! And yes, Flowerbomb's packaging, along with a pushy (but cute and charming) salesman, sucked me right in. For the record, I do enjoy the scent, but $130 later (for the extreme) I now realize there are many things I'd rather own a bottle of.

It's nice that my 'gateway' drug (Basenotes itself) that introduced my to the hard stuff (perfume!!), comes with a built-in support group :-)

LOL!!! Yep, I'm totally addicted.

I had no idea when I stumbled upon this forum a couple of weeks ago (seems like a lot longer) that I would become so entranced by the quest for the perfect scent.

I made my husand drive me down to Saks last Sunday just so I could smell Creed and score some samples! Of course that wasn't enough and I found myself up at 2am ordering more samples from eBay. And I bought my first bottle (unsniffed).

I just came from a shopping trip and guess where our first stop was....yep, the fragrance counter.

i am for - for more than half a year now. im buying a 100ml bottle of LoveLy tomorrow which I hope will be my last for this year.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by ninamichaela
    i am for - for more than half a year now. im buying a 100ml bottle of LoveLy tomorrow which I hope will be my last for this year.
    I think I've been a fragrance addict-junkie' you call it what you want, all my life.

I can date times and events by the fragrances I wore during certain years; while I dated certain people, certain vacations have their own scents of course, I remember people by the scents I wore or they wore at the time we met or parted... and there are many, many, many of memories like this... all stored nicely in my memory-bank for safe keeping, and instant recall... When I smell a certain fragrance, no matter what it may be, that I have not worn in years immediately it will initiate a memory re-call of some certain thing or event or person that it reminds me of....

Fragrance is intricately interwoven into all my daily aspects of living…

Addicted? Well, I guess you could say that .

The first day of New Year - 2006 I was at the mall buying a bottle of Prada at Sephora in Eaton Center downtown Toronto.... My first fragrance purchase of the year, and a very special one at that; but I am still unsure of what the last fragrance purchase for this year will be.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I knew nothing about sillage and ingredients before I joined this forum.
    Quoting from Goddess_Dreams, fragrances have weaved into our lives, and I just couldn't agree more with this statement. The first fragrance that I know was Diorissimo which was worn by my mother when I was in primary school. I started wearing scents when I was 15, my first bottle was Anais Anais. I wore the original Poison to my prom. I had a special relationship with Allure (it has an era in my life and related to certain places and events). I bought my Prada from the Singapore airport 2 years ago...

Ever since I joined BN, I found out more about male's scent, and recently acquired Le Male to my collection. I think I have bought more than 10 bottles this year and started swapping decants with fellow basenoters and made a few friends here. I don't know when I could slow down to enjoy my juices.