Code of Conduct

Default AMen and Very Irresistible

A few things.
    First, what is it about AMen that turns everyone off? I don't think it smells like garbage at all. I think it smells great. Nice, smooth, chocolatey, minty, coffee stuffs that dry down and blend very nicely with me. Is it just that nobody else's chemistry permits them to wear it well? Not so sure about BMen yet, but I know I'm diggin AMen and its the only cologne I've ever been able to smell the morning after I've worn it, which is awesome.
    Also, I find that is smells nearly identical to VI. What are the differences? Drydown? Sillage/longevity? VI smells a little more green to me, which I think is a plus.

Default Re: AMen and Very Irresistible

A*Men is one of my Top 10 . D/k VI.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

I'm one of those people that don't like A*Men. I know it's the chocolate note, and I know that it is too strong. VI by Givenchy is a great scent, better than A*Men in my opinion, but it DOES NOT mix with me very well. The chocolate note is still too strong, and I'm beginning to realize that I am not very fond of Gourmands. Still, I think VI is better than A*Men, because it is not completely dependent upon chocolate, though it is a main note. (Does anybody else think that A*Men sounds like amen, and that perhaps a warmer, non chocolate scent would be better suited to the name? Perhaps Boss Selection, or Valentino for Men?)
    Last edited by _R$_; 30th August 2007 at 06:41 PM.

A*Men isn't bad, I just don't find it to be practical. Even the smallest application I can see being brutally cloying to those around you in many circumstances.

It's such a thick, potent scent. Sometimes it's a very nice smell, sometimes I find the burnt aspect to it to be overpowering.

Maybe nice for going to a club, but I think if you were planning to wear it for any kind of casual circumstance you would have to be so careful. I remember spraying a piece of paper once in my room to test it out, I left the piece of paper on my dresser, and I came back in 15 minutes and I could smell it distinctly all the way across the room.

I'm still not totally sure of VI. In some instances I've really liked it, the citrus top notes blend into the chocolate beautifully, other times I find that it kind of reminds me of rotting fruit.

VI is safer. A*Men is distinct and could work wonders in some situations, but it's like playing with fire. You could so very easily make the people around you despise you when wearing it.

I'm not sure exactly why I dislike VI, I just remember testing it out and not liking it. I recall that it was just not a particularly good blend and that it didn't wear well. It might have been that the coffee or nutty aspect was too strong, or maybe it wasn't smooth enough.
    A*Men on the other hand is incredible. It is in my top 2. I actually don't find it hard to wear at all. With a light application, as long as you wait for the top notes to calm down (15 mins) then it isn't really that in your face. It just leaves you with a nice, sweet, choclately-earthy trail. The perfect gourmand. Soooo smooth in the drydown. I have a lot of positive memories associated with this scent, and I will never be without it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I'm not sure exactly why I dislike VI, I just remember testing it out and not liking it. I recall that it was just not a particularly good blend and that it didn't wear well. It might have been that the coffee or nutty aspect was too strong, or maybe it wasn't smooth enough.
    A*Men on the other hand is incredible. It is in my top 2. I actually don't find it hard to wear at all. With a light application, as long as you wait for the top notes to calm down (15 mins) then it isn't really that in your face. It just leaves you with a nice, sweet, choclately-earthy trail. The perfect gourmand. Soooo smooth in the drydown. I have a lot of positive memories associated with this scent, and I will never be without it.
    I feel the same exact way. VI just dosn't do it for me, it's an ok scent. A*Men, IMO, is one of the best out there, i'm glad I own it.

I think A*Men, love it or hate it, it is a well-made frag. In contrast, I think VI lacks cohesion among its notes and comes across as a thick mess to me. A*Men is certainly rich and heavy, but it still blends well and makes no apologies for its strong presence, so I enjoy it.

Thumbs down Re: AMen and Very Irresistible

Wore A*Men 10 years ago when it first surfaced but I wouldn't go back there again. Too well known, too distinctive, too identifying.

Besides, no one in my entourage enjoys it either. Although a ground-breaker at the time, today I find it...well...no insult intended...but just passé, passé composé (like really over with).

Mr. Mugler issued B*Men to satisfy those who had tired of A*Men, I think. But B*Men totally revolts me...the top notes make my eyes water.

His Cologne is nice though and very wearable...but boring in the end...his two other scents are strong...identifiable....over the top...

No thanks. Not any more anyway....

Very Irrestible turns me off as well and, again, I find it too...well...identifiable. ... but again, one man's opinion is one man's opinion...

I agree that the Original VI is indeed resistable, but you may want to consider VI Summer. Some of the same notes, but more subdued (almost like it has the original's middle/basenotes closer to the topnote).

Both are very good. I wouldnt be able to pick one over the other, coz I think they are for different times/settings/places.

I think it's weird to smell of chocolates. As if you work in a candy store or you just went to a chocolate buffet. IMO it's ok to wear an avant-garde fragrance like Bvlgari Black.. people will just think that you're wearing a unique smelling cologne. But chocolates?

I still like A*Men though only that it's impractical to wear in public..

Well, if you liked VI, you should try Guerlain L'Instant, which I think is better balanced!