Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Current Faves and Matching Moods

(or: I have found a way to appease my Multiple Personality Disorder)
    I have been sampling an abundance of fragrances and tried to gather my thoughts about some of my current favorites by matching them to the moods, emotions and mindsets they evoke:

Bond No. 9 West Side: great blind buy with a boozy drydown that I find very relaxing; a casual night out in the city with friends

SL Fleurs d'Oranger: brilliant and clear notes that energize and uplift me

Aimez Moi: approachable beauty that is warm and comforting

Tabac Blond: bad girl mood; "Spank me or I'll spank you first..."

NR for Her: pretty and feminine, effortless attraction

Chanel No. 19: cool , classy and competent, elegant in a modern way

24 Faubourg: classy, mature, warm and womanly, elegant in a vintage way

Hanae Mori Butterfly: deeply sweet and warm

Opium: deeply sensual and spicy

Parfum Sacre: deeply spiritual (let's make out in church by the light of the stained glass windows)
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Current Faves and Matching Moods

MITSOUKO: Aloof with an arched, witty eyebrow; makes strange men walk up to you in the middle of a crowded city and demand that you smile.

AMBRE SULTAN: Bohemian, with ripped, slight dirty stockings, and a whole vat of black kohl that has run under the eye, which you DO NOT REPAIR. Devil-may-care.

L'HEURE BLEUE: A good lachrymose sulk with violet nail lacquer and a yapping Afghan hound that wants to go for a walk in the middle of rain shower.

BLACK ORCHID: An evening spent locked in one's bathroom while one's date shouts through the door: DON'T YOU DARE SAY I AM LIKE OTHER MEN!

My current favourites and their matching moods are:

FEMINITE DU BOIS - warm, sultry, come and snuggle under this blanket
    in a log cabin under the cedar trees!
    ANGEL - I'm a bit of a softy and would like to spoil you.I feel pretty
    today and want to be hugged.
    CABOCHARD - Don't mess with me today or you'll wish you hadn't. I mean business and I mean it now!
    ENCENS ET LAVANDE - I'm in a contemplative, spiritual mood. I may
    go to Yoga tonight or visit a church.
    RIVE GAUCHE - full of "joie de vivre" and feeling very sociable.
    LE BAISER DU DRAGON - Yes, I can be mysterious and exotic too.
    CRISTOBAL - I feel poised, confident and approachable.

I'm laughing so hard I cannot write a post.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    BLACK ORCHID: An evening spent locked in one's bathroom while one's date shouts through the door: DON'T YOU DARE SAY I AM LIKE OTHER MEN!
    :bounce:
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

love these posts and want to hear more!
    sort of like dramatic yet succinct poetry for your favorite perfumes.
    or like giving each one a voice.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Serge Lutens' Borneo 1834, which I just received in a decant: After a dry, hot, draught-ridden summer in the mountains where I grew up, getting caught in a torrential downpour while a lightning storm rages overhead.

Thierry Mugler's Angel: You clutch the armrest and rest your head on the window that is quickly forming condensation as you are flying through dense fog in a tiny plane. On the rocky approach, the fog finally parts and you see a small village is nestled on a lush, green, jewel-like island. It's the western Aleutian Islands, closer to Russia than the rest of Alaska, and the rocky, treeless tundra is thickly blanketed in rich green tundra. You've never been to Alaska before, and the warmth of the Angel you're wearing envelops you as the cold sea air hits you when you step off the plane into a breathtakingly beautiful, unfamiliar landscape.

Muscs Koublai Khan: After fighting a fire at an industrial warehouse, we finally get it under control and extinguished and I'm exhausted. Back at the hall, we wash the rigs, I pull off my heavy fire bunkers, drain a couple of bottles of water, and drive back home. My boyfriend brings me more water as he draws a luxuriant bath for me. We ease into the tub and he rubs my shoulders as we relax. I am the luckiest woman alive.

Gris Clair: We drive as far as we can go into the high country, and then when the snow drifts make the road impassable, we leave the truck, strap on cross-country skis and our packs, and ski the rest of the way to the cabin. New snow is falling, and clouds from our breath hang in the air as we find our route. We smile at each other and know that this is going to be the most memorable New Year's yet.

Bvlgari's Rose Essentielle - young woman from 19th century, in light colored dress with flowers, with aristocratic posture and a dreamy smile

E. Arden's Red Door (not my fave, but my mother's) - a sugar loaf coiffure, red lipstick, red suit with damn sharp padded shoulders and hands full of golden rings. Walking through the middle of the sidewalk and never has to slow down or step aside, because people get out of her way automatically. Probably pulls an evil yapping chihuahua on a leash behind her.

Bvlgari's Black (on a man) - melting asphalt. Scorching sun and hot concrete. A gust of wind rises a cloud of suffocating dry dust. Tires screech to a halt with the smell of burning rubber, HE steps out and transfixes you with his gaze. His scent mingles with the unmerciful sun and smothering dust so intensely you have no choice but to stop breathing and fall to the ground at his feet...

Givenchy's Organza - a classy, tall woman in innocently white designer dress that was damn expensive attends a noble ball. Drives the man crazy with the look of her dark eyes.

Guerlain's Champs-Elysees - late spring, all the flowers are emanating warm shimmering haze of fragrance. The sun already shines so intensely, whenever you look, you just see the blinding golden-white light that makes you smile.
    Last edited by Riccigirl; 3rd December 2006 at 11:01 AM.

FM Une Rose: Balcony off the dining room of a rustic hacienda in the Adalusian countryside, sunset. Flamenco guitar drifts up from the gauchos' quarters. Sonia Braga, just in from horseback riding, plucks a single perfect rose from the vase on the sideboard, clenches it between her teeth, and starts a slow tango with ranch hand Olivier Martinez. Before the housekeeper can serve up the beef course they are in flagrante delecto on the buffet table (red wine everywhere, Sonia on top).

Tabac Blond: Algonquin Hotel, 1930. The oak-paneled bar is a sea of urbanites in leather club chairs, the women in lipstick, pearls and pastel frocks. Georgia O'Keefe strides in wearing her signature black cape and beret, chunky silver jewelry, no makeup. Looks devastating. Orders a whiskey neat, lights a cheroot, and has a good laugh at the looks she is getting.
    Last edited by coumarin; 3rd December 2006 at 05:16 PM.

wow. I am going to have to try that FM Une Rose...and get myself a bottle of Angel, too.

I love this thread. This is what I love about perfume and the writing it inspires.

Kyoto from the Series No. 3, Incense, Commes des Garcons
    I am dark and mysterious, but that is only because you have yet to venture beyond my exterior. The empathy I have comes from the pain I have endured. You may perceive me as fearsome or aloof, but I am only gaurding the amber-clear sensitivity of my heart.

Dune - Summer in Saskatchewan is intensely hot and dry. The sun bakes the clay earth to cement-like hardpan. The lake grasses are dried and give off a gentle, slightly spicy smell. The unrelentling sun is a white eye in the pale blue sky; it warms my skin until I make another trip down the beach to water to cool off. Skin cancer be damned. Back at my blanket I indulge myself with a Raymond Chandler mystery, wait for the sun to dry me again. My hair clings in crisp curls at my neck. I gather up my things, throw my white cotton shirt over my bathing suit, and walk up through the spruce and poplar to the house.

Chanel No. 19 - Me and my baby got ourselves a convertible for the day. This necessitates a pony tail, perfect white cotton tee, loose white linen pants and those exquisite huarachos I got last time I was in Mexico. A red and gold scarf around the pony tail and some red toe nail polish and we're good to go. A perfect day for wine tasting in the Townships. We sample and continue at our pace, reds, whites, roses, even some ciders. We select a few, and pick one deep, crisp white to end our day with. Chilled glasses of this with some Townships cheeses and other delights; good conversation that just flows. Giggling at a private joke. Him draping his sweater around my shoulders agains the evening breeze.

Iris Silver Mist - I am walking along the shore of the lake at my parent's farm. It is a cold, damp day at the end of summer and the leaves cling limply to the trees, comfortably exhausted from the previous season's heat. I am alone, but I am comfortable. The sky reaches down to the water, and to the horizon of spruce trees across the lake which are a muted, misty green. I feel like I have always been here and will always be here. I am content, but very quietly so.

Bois Farine - I have spent the most lovely day at home. So I pulled out my pans, my flour, my butter, spices and sugar. A rich, spicy nut bread is in order. Once the loaves are out of the oven I settle into a chair to continue reading but that is short lived. My brother arrives with his three year old step daughter, and I share some spice bread. She throws her arms around my neck and nuzzles in breathing deeply. I do the same back and am rewarded with a whiff of her soft, milky baby scent.

I could go on...
    Last edited by pellen; 16th December 2006 at 02:21 AM.

the writing on this thread is beautiful. I love reading these little vignettes of scent.

Ambre Passion- Laura Mercier: Somebody here needs deodorant. I wonder if anyone else notices it? I hope that armpit smell isn't coming from me. Maybe it's my fragrance. No, it's definitely armpit. I'm pretty sure I put on deodorant this morning. Why is my arm smelling like pit? OMG, it IS me.

Safari: Khaki jeans & shirt, wool plaid jacket, hiking boots. Urbane tweedy company and conversation. Sitting on a blanket on the gravel bar, grilled salmon, en plein air salad, drinking pure water. Later, sitting in the lodge, drinking Irish Coffees. We can hear the noise from the lower life forms in the bar, the smell of last week's soap encounter long past, energized by the day's hunt, swilling beer and watching sports on TV.
    Last edited by flathorn; 16th December 2006 at 10:04 PM.