Code of Conduct

Default Would love advice: Want mature, refined scent without smelling old...

I'm only 19, but I definitely appreciate a classy scent when I smell one.
    However, I do find it odd when I smell something on a guy my age that smells a bit "too old." (Halston Z-14 is a good example haha)

I want something classy, and complex, preferably something that most people have never smelled before. I am thinky woodsy/oriental, but at the same time something that won't smell too old for a 19 year old.

Default Re: Would love advice: Want mature, refined scent without smelling old...

How about Azzarro's Visit or (though it's more common) Gucci's pour homme?

Eluard

Default Re: Would love advice: Want mature, refined scent without smelling old...

The most important question on this is, "What is your budget?"

If you want something that isn't absurdly expensive (at least online) but still has class and distinction, I agree with Gucci Pour Homme or would recommend Dior Homme. YSL's Opium or Body Kouros would be another choice, as Opium is very oriental and Body Kouros is very unique and warm. You could get any of these online for $25-40; the Gucci would probably be $20, the YSl about the same, and the Dior would be a little higher.

If you can afford a little more, Chanel's classic men's fragrances are very nice and classy (Pour Monsieur, Egoiste, and Antaeus). I like Pour Monsieur the best, especially the eau concentree. I wore this one from the time I was a teenager and found it was classy without being too "old." Also, it is one that almost no other person your age is going to wear; they'll stick to their boring, sporty, detergent-like Allure Sport. Pour Monsieur is not what I'd call oriental, but very classy. It's a little more expensive, probably $50-75, depending on the size and where you get it.

If money is no object, I have two recommendations:

One of my favorite classy orientals is L'artisan's L'eau D'ambre. It's soft, understated, distinctive, but does take time to get used to(it took me a week or so before I enjoyed it). 1.7's will run you about $75 and 3.4 about $110, but you may be able to find one a little bit less if you search carefully.

Finally, the scent we've talked about around here as being super classy and having that "everybody's rich uncle" quality is Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive. I have that one and use it whenever I have an important meeting or whenever I want to look far more important or impressive than I actually am. It's really nice but everything from Bond is expensive; about $105 for the 1.7 and $178 for the 3.4.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 2nd December 2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Why do you think that there are certain scents that are suitable more on an old(er) man, while others seem better on a young man?

How would you characterize an old man scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Luca30
    Why do you think that there are certain scents that are suitable more on an old(er) man, while others seem better on a young man?

How would you characterize an old man scent?
    The original Escada Pour Homme. I wore that one once and had a friend of mine tell me that I smelled like his Colombian Grandfather. I smelled myself again and agreed.

To me, the idea of an "old man scent" just means something that has been around for a long time and hasn't aged well or feels dated. OR, a newer fragrance that uses some of those same notes (the soapy reformulation of Claude Montana Homme was done in the late 1990's and smells "old man" to me).

One call's it "old man" just because either it smells obsolete or the actual fragrance was probably popular on that man when he was young and he continues to wear it, even though the notes in it may not be currently in vogue. It's sort of like seeing a car today with tail-fins; it isn't that there is anything wrong with it, but it is only really seen on cars that are now considered old.

Versace L'homme, for example, is quite old but still is wearable and unique. So, it is "classic" or "retro" but not "old man." Knize Ten is another that is a classic.

Who knows? In twenty or thirty years Issey Miyake pour homme may be considered an old man scent.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 2nd December 2006 at 01:03 PM.

Yes, but what are some basic traits of a scent that could make it labelled an old man scent?

Luca, I was about to ask the same question, ironically, of a guy whose nickname is Pappy! :-)

I think it's bollocks to call fragrances "dated" or "old". My two cents'.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

nearfantastica

a few suggestions...

Guerlain's Heritage
    Lalique (the lion)
    Platinum Egoiste (in a very modern, understated way)

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Luca, I was about to ask the same question, ironically, of a guy whose nickname is Pappy! :-)

I think it's bollocks to call fragrances "dated" or "old". My two cents'.
    I think you're right, actually. What I was facetiously calling "old man" is really just the rise and fall of particularly popular notes or trends at a given time. The 70's was spice, the 80's was power, and now we're all about sporty cleanness. It will change again...

Also, I second nearfantastica's recommendations. I was THIS close to recommending Heritage, but went for Chanel Pour Monsieur instead (I find them to be in the same spectrum).

Worth PH if you're looking for something without that Z-14/Givenchy Gentleman 70's vibe to it.

FYI: I'd caution against discussing the "smells old" topic; a thread like this escalated recently out of control. $0.02.
    Last edited by MisterK; 2nd December 2006 at 02:07 PM.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Rive Gauche, Gucci Envy, and Divine L'Homme Sage (niche) come to mind. Check out the reviews, get some samples/decants.

Im gonna second Guerlain Heritage

MisterK, caution taken. I can see how that can heat up the emotions. A bit difficult to refrain though, since the title of the thread is about not smelling old.

However, don't you agree? After all, some of the oldest scents in existence still do a bit of booty kicking. Jicky, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Rive Gauche, Gucci Envy, and Divine L'Homme Sage (niche) come to mind. Check out the reviews, get some samples/decants.
    Agreed, agreed, and agreed. Great choices, all.

I would check out Vera Wang for Men. It has a very vibrant and fun opening then settles down into a wonderful sandalwood based dry down. Many have complained about it's longevity but I've not had a problem. For example before I purchased a full bottle I tested its longevity, I put on 5 squirts, worked out at the gym, took a shower and even after this I could clearly smell it after 5 hours. Vera Wang for Men is available, you should be able to find a sample of it at many stores, but not that widely used so you will have a somewhat unique scent.

I would second the Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree onpinion. I'm 18, and it's a really classy scent that the ladies just love. It also makes you feel a little more refined when you wear it. From what I've heard, Opium YSL would also be a good choice, though not Body Kouros. If you've got the money to spring for Riverside Drive, try it out first, from the reviews, this would fit perfectly, just check to make sure you like it first!
    - Rich

Loewe Solo. I have it on my hand since morning after a thorough spray at Douglas. Can't stop sniffing it. Great stuff, for your purpose too.

Well, you're the target group of John Varvatos Vintage. classic fragrance with a fresh twist is the idea behind it, mirroring his new collection. check out whether it works for you.
    Others that could work: Agree with L'Homme Sage, perhaps Nicolai's New York, definitely Richard James EdT. Albi by Laura Tonnato if you can find it anywhere (this is citrus, but superrefined and complex)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Yep. Head on over to the nearest Chanel counter. Plenty of choices for a young man with refined taste.
    Dior's Eau Sauvage is also a fine mature scent for young and old alike.

Thumbs up Re: Would love advice: Want mature, refined scent without smelling old...

Dior Homme is wonderful on anyone, also check out Ungaro III

Gucci Envy and Platinum Egoiste are good examples are what I am looking for..

They are classy, refined scents ...without making me smell like an old man.

Something complex, with a good base too it too...

I asked somebody at a store today and they recommended Dunhill, but they didn't carry it. This person didn't know anything about frags so I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Well, you're the target group of John Varvatos Vintage. classic fragrance with a fresh twist is the idea behind it, mirroring his new collection. check out whether it works for you.
    Others that could work: Agree with L'Homme Sage, perhaps Nicolai's New York, definitely Richard James EdT. Albi by Laura Tonnato if you can find it anywhere (this is citrus, but superrefined and complex)

Oh, thank you so much! These sound like the sort of things I am looking for.

From another 19 year old..
    Gucci Envy, Pour Homme, Azzaro Visit, D&G PH, Allure, (Platinum?) Egoiste, A*Men, B*Men, Prada, Burberry London. To name only a few.

I have only smelled Gucci Envy from a sample paper, and didn't really get a good smell... it seemed very subtle. Is it? I liked the smell though.

Also, I have only tried Platinum Egoiste, but I hear the original is so much better from alot of older men. Is it better? Will it make me smell old?
    Last edited by Pappy; 2nd December 2006 at 11:16 PM.

Check out my current personal favourite Guerlain "Heritage" which I find classy and smooth, this could be the one for you.
    Last edited by incedal; 3rd December 2006 at 12:06 AM.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Ok, so here are the things I'm gonna check out first:

Chanel: Pour Monseur, Egoiste, Allure

Richard James EDT

Dior Homme

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy
    I have only smelled Gucci Envy from a sample paper, and didn't really get a good smell... it seemed very subtle. Is it? I liked the smell though.

Also, I have only tried Platinum Egoiste, but I hear the original is so much better from alot of older men. Is it better? Will it make me smell old?
    Wow! You are really obsessed with this smelling old thing!!!

But seriously, let me also second Chanel's Egoiste. I think Envy might be too common in your age group, but the Chanels would probably be a bit rarer.

And I think you should add Gucci PH to your list of things to try.

Since you're really interested in not smelling old, I think the question should be: how old do you want to smell? Perhaps after you answer that question, Pappy, we can better help you.

For example, Talcum powder is absolutely great for 6-month olds. Start there and work you way up.

Ok, so here are the things I'm gonna check out first:

Chanel: Pour Monseur, Egoiste, Allure

Richard James EDT

Dior Homme

Thoughts?
    These are all good choices, but also add the Guerlain heritage which has been recommended a few times. It's also very nice and classy.

Cool Re: Would love advice: Want mature, refined scent without smelling old...

I don't know, but the Platinum made me smell as if I was wearing John Travolta's polyester suit in 'Saturday Night Fever'.
    Listen to me, kid. The world is full of dames, if you want one all ya got to do is whist--oops. Sorry, got carried away.

Guerlian Heritage I like but I'm ancient, and besides, it's "heavy" in an oriental, leather kind of way. Egoiste may be too sweet and refined in a way that you may not like--what the hell, they're both great scents! Certainly worth a sniff, though imho as far as Guerlians go Habit Rouge is way more upbeat (yeah, baby!) and as far as Chanels, Antaeus is more dangerous and sexier by a long shot. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree put me to sleep after a while. Never tried the 'original' which is hard to find, anyway.

I think your best bet is the 'vintage' John Varvatos, as suggested.

Cheers,

Mario.

btw what's unrefined about Geir? or Le Roy Soleil or--oh, never mind.
    Pax 'all.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Oops, I lied. Gucci Envy has the old man smell thing going on(I just like to wear it because of the vanilla and sweetness in this cold weather when I know I won't be seeing any fly honeys). I think Gucci PH does, too. My bad. The rest I listed are good. Allure is top notch. B*Men is pretty darn good too.

The reason I am so scared of smelling old is because of this one guy I knew who always smelled like some weird musky concoction.. It deifinitly smelled too masculine for for a 17 year old. It smelled like some sort of z-14 scent with added bull testosterone and cheap Stetson aftershave. I think that is the sort of scent I am trying to avoid.

The reason I am so scared of smelling old is because of this one guy I knew who always smelled like some weird musky concoction.. It deifinitly smelled too masculine for for a 17 year old. It smelled like some sort of z-14 scent with added bull testosterone and cheap Stetson aftershave. I think that is the sort of scent I am trying to avoid.
    Understood. There are a lot of scents that are around now that have the character that you want, or rather, lack the character that you don't want. They are known generically as Aquatics. Issey Miyake is a pretty good representative of this class, as is Aqua di Gio by Armani. You probably want to steer clear of Tobacco based fragrances like D&G PH (or Michael Kors or Varvatos), or woody-incensey fragrances like Gucci PH — though I still think the latter is something you should try. I think you should like Envy (and it is powerful stuff, don't be fooled), or one of the Polos by RL.

HTH

Eluard

I think Geir is something you might be interested in.

Demographics in the china industry clearly show that young brides pick plain white and/or very, very simple china patterns. Same holds true in the sterling/silverplate demographics -- plain, plain, plain.

It doesn't mean that young brides like simplicity only -- by no means. It DOES, however, mean that most young brides (and grooms, for that matter) haven't yet developed their own signatures styles and tastes.

Scents are very much the same. Screw all this "young/old" talk and find scents that YOU like. Consider the scents' appropriateness to various settings, their sillage, their cost, their longevity, their quality (or the lack thereof), their effects on others, etc. Better to find your own way than to worry about what others might think "smells old."

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Good point /\
    Ummm... I don't think that any of the Polos will help (Except Black or Double Black, my friend Blake bought this the other day (At my recommendation), and he loves it!)

We can all be dreamers and believe that if you wear something young girls don't like with confidence then they'll actually end up liking it.
    Or we can acquiesce to the demands of the times and still be happy with what we're purchasing.
    For example: D&G PH, B*Men, Dior Homme, Prada. As for aquatics, most don't really define class for me, nor would I expect them to at 17. I'm 19. But, since everyone is going to be wearing A&F, Hollister, or Kirra at your high school, I expect Chanel Allure Sport, Issey Miyake, and Guess Man should do the trick in setting yourself apart from them in terms of class and originality. Issey Miyake is a sublime aquatic. Guess is more aromatic, Allure Sport is the classiest choice, kind of sporty, orange, smooth, milky woods.

I don't want a cologne to pick up girls, I have plenty of other scents (that I don't really like wearing) that girls adore.

What I want is something classy, elegant, complex, and tasteful. Something almost aristocratic... that makes me feel rich. Like an expensive suit. However, the problem is, I am afraid, that this sort of cologne will make me smell like an old British man.

Tobacco notes are not completely out of the question, because I LOVE D&G PH. (High Quality, complex, and classy)

Things I want to stay away from: Citruses, Acquatics (I have ADG, Polo Blue, and Cool Water Deep and aren't crazy about any of them), Fruities, Synthetics (alot of them give me skin allergies plus they smell bad,), Things that everyone my age is wearing.

P.S. THANKS SO MUCH for all of the advice and guidance... I know at times I can sound picky or difficult, but its just so I can broaden my scent horizons..I have so much to sample I can't wait!
    Last edited by Pappy; 3rd December 2006 at 11:29 PM.

Thrax

Michael Kors, Rive Gauche, Cuiron, Relax

Pappy, give Chanel Allure and Allure Sport a try. From the sounds of it, you're going to love them.

I would say Boucheron PH - you can't get any more classy than that.

What I want is something classy, elegant, complex, and tasteful. Something almost aristocratic... that makes me feel rich. Like an expensive suit.
    Nothing makes me feel more elegant than Zizanie. It wafts one into the world of unquestioned aristocracy where your fragrance doesn't have to signal Power or Sex to others because you've already settled that long since. It's not a "manly" scent; it's a scent that trusts you to supply the "manly" by your own attitude and presence; it's the valet whose presence shows that you're the master.
    "She allowed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." --Proust, *Cities of the Plain*

Alright, went to the department store and gave these things a try:
    (There was a small selection, almost only new releases )

Also, I only sprayed on papers so I don't know how they smell on skin or develop. (except Allure and Allure Sport)

Allure - Loved. Warm, classy, masculine, and good quality. Irresistible.

Allure Sport - This actually smells like the type of scent I am trying to avoid.

John Varvatos - I like this, but its too subtle on the drydown on the paper for me to really judge. The sales lady was pushing this HARD

Canali - Kinda girly. Its ok. Sales lady was trying to push this very hard as well.

Gucci PH - Smells like musky cardboard. But almost in a good way.

Platinum Egoiste - I actually really like this one on the drydown. I don't see why everyone hates it so much, it was one of my favorites sampled today. Perhaps, bc I just havn't smelled the original.

Armani PH - Nice but plain.

Boucheron PH - I liked this, but I am afraid I will smell old. Kinda lemony

Chanel Pour Monsieur - Call me crazy but this smelled like Le Male. It's powdery.

Burberry something ? - I really liked this one, but didn't know what the name was. The bottle was brown or red and plaid.

Dunhill for Men - I actually didn't wanna sample this, but it just so happend that I did... this is GREAT. Probably in the top 3 that I sampled.

Alright, there it is, please gives thoughts/opinions.

Thanks!

I think the Burberry you looked at was Burberry London. Google it up, and see if the picture is familiar, and then you will know. http://www.burberryusaonline.com/fam...198&cp=2119971 I'm still gonna recommend Chanel pour Monsieur for aristocratic needs...

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    I think the Burberry you looked at was Burberry London. Google it up, and see if the picture is familiar, and then you will know. http://www.burberryusaonline.com/fam...198&cp=2119971 I'm still gonna recommend Chanel pour Monsieur for aristocratic needs...
    It was London! I need to smell Chanel PM on the skin then.
    Thanks!