Code of Conduct

Default Royal English Leather and Knize Ten - Can you tell them apart?

I was out on a fragrance shopping spree, earlier today, and made my first ever visit to Les Senteurs. While testing, I saw a tester bottle of Royal English Leather - how excited I was to see this! After hearing so much about it, I didn't hesitate to spritz some on my arm...

... Now, maybe I've missed something here, but it smelt very similar to Knize Ten (and I'm well aware which one came out first)! Personally, I was expecting something very different and was initially disappointed. However, there was one significant difference between the two (a difference that has always put me off Knize Ten) - REL was smoother and far less powdery.

I'm still not sure if I'll ever get round to buying a Creed, but I would certainly choose REL over Knize Ten any day (however, the difference in price is a slight concern). Are there any other differences between these to, to your nose (and not in terms of composition)?

Unfortunately, I ended up leaving Les Senteurs with a 100ml bottle of Vetiver Extraordinaire... ouch!

Default Re: Royal English Leather and Knize Ten - Can you tell them apart?

If I recall correctly, Knize Ten smelled similar to Creed Cuir De Russie, not REL...
    -

Hi zztop,

I tested Cuir De Russie last week and it's actually a very dark leathery scent - too much for my tastes.

I could tell them apart but I agree that the first couple of minutes smell very similar.

Haven't worn Knize 10 that often, but I seem to recall that REL is much more of a pure leather, while those notes are more submerged in other goings-on with Knize. Knize is leathery, but REL is leather.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

K10 has been a long time companion of mine. It is so unique and precious as a scent (not the price), that I do not wear it all that often. It is none of those every day staples you grow out of after a few years. It keeps surprising me how different notes are prominent one day and hardly perceptible another. It seems to have tobacco too, various oriental woods and resins. To classify it as 'a leather fragrance' (see BN reviews section) is oversimplifying matters, and does this perfume injustice.

A similar thing has happened, and will continue to happen in the case of Tabac Blond. Two beautiful perfumes, winners for more than eighty years, downsized to
    'a leather frag' these days. As concerns their complexity, only Lutens seems to be achieving similar heights occasionally, eighty years later. Unfortunately, I do not know the Creed leather fragrances.
    Last edited by narcus; 4th December 2006 at 12:34 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

To me, Knize 10, REL and Cuir de Russie are very different from each other. I don't think there is any way to confuse the 3 - even from the first scent.
    REL is smooth and refined, and almost a sweet, buttery leather
    Knize 10 is more complex, with a more subtle leather on drydown, but also a whole host of other notes as well, which sets it apart from just about anything else.
    Cuir de Russie is another thing altogether. It is smokey and dark, without a hint of sweetness anywhere. It is a very smokey leather.

I just resampled Cuir De Russie...phew, smokey leathery stuff.

I can appreciate it, but is it wearable ?
    -

Cuir de Russie I can wear, since it becomes pleasant after around 20-30 minutes. I can't say I'm fond of REL, but I like it better than Knize Ten, which I feel compelled to wash off after 2 minutes. I suspect I'm not giving Knize Ten (or REL, for that matter) a fair shake and should give it a few more tries, but not for a while.

I have actually worn all 3 of these in the last week. Knize Ten is one of my all time favorite fragrances, and is an always evolving beast. You must apply this very sparingly or else risk losing all of your friends. I happen to be wearing it today, and one walkthrough spray is all that is needed. That said, it is wonderful, leathery and soft. REL is much sweeter, almost nauseatingly so, but calms down into a very soft, very "bridle" leather. Cuir de Russie has orangey topnotes, than dries down into a smoky/oily leather. Really no mistaking these 3 fragrances, and they are all powerhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by kozulich
    To me, Knize 10, REL and Cuir de Russie are very different from each other. I don't think there is any way to confuse the 3 - even from the first scent.
    REL is smooth and refined, and almost a sweet, buttery leather
    Knize 10 is more complex, with a more subtle leather on drydown, but also a whole host of other notes as well, which sets it apart from just about anything else.
    Cuir de Russie is another thing altogether. It is smokey and dark, without a hint of sweetness anywhere. It is a very smokey leather.
    This is a very accurate assessment, in my opinion. There is no mistaking these three, honestly. They are all very distinct and different. I don't think of CdR as a powerhouse. If anything, it has longevity issues I rarely encounter with Creed fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    This is a very accurate assessment, in my opinion. There is no mistaking these three, honestly. They are all very distinct and different. I don't think of CdR as a powerhouse. If anything, it has longevity issues I rarely encounter with Creed fragrances.
    Yes, CdR has the least longevity of the 3. Very powerful when you first put it on, but it fades relatively quickly. It takes a certain personality to wear it with success - not one for the masses. Knize 10 is the most powerful, and as said, must be used sparingly or it becomes obnoxious. REL could be considered too sweet by some, but I wear it not so much for other people, but because I enjoy the scent. All 3 of these are in my rotation, though I wear the Knize 10 most frequently.

Alright, got to try REL for the first time yesterday. Leather alright and I can see why one would want to mention this and Knize Ten in the same sentence, even though they are quite different. I've scanned the reviews on REL and no one mentions the prominent cherry note (or maybe I should say cherry accord) which seems to happen inside the Creed. Lovely to say the least, but felt like a weird twist on a fragrance which is said to be born on the 18th century.

I agree that they are different, but the drydown of Knize Ten is certainly a wierd and hard to describe beast. To me it is a little like petrol or oil. I wouldn't say that it is lovely, but it is distinctive and interesting. A very serious smell. REL seems to me a more dandified scent.

Can concur with the prevailing sentiments here; Knize Ten is more complex and stronger (a beast someone said); whereas Royal English Leather is softer, simpler and if you want, a purer uncomplicated leather scent . REL reminds me ultimately of the smell of a pair of fine soft leather gloves, although at first it has a sweet/sour tang that is vaguely suggestive of something that's a little rotten (or past its sell-by date), but that goes away soon, thankfully. I like them both, ultimately, Knize Ten wins out for the bouquet of notes.

Joe