Code of Conduct

Default Please, ladies, don't wear Amarige.

Please don't wear Amarige, I'm begging you. It's sickening. Givenchy has so many other good scents, test some of them and try those out.

Default Re: Please, ladies, don't wear Amarige.

That's a bold statement! Why, does a lady that you dislike insist on wearing buckets of Amirage?

I really love it. My bottle is somewhere in storage, but I'm planning on buying it again.

Perhaps this is reverse psychology. It works for me! I never looked at the fragrance before, but I'm interested now.

Now, I had other plans for today. I was going to buy some ice and send some Mexican spices to my new friend in the Great White North, but now, thanks to you, I have to go to a mall (a mall on a December Sunday!) and spray this on very deliberately and antagonistically and wait to see what happens. Dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Perhaps this is reverse psychology. It works for me! I never looked at the fragrance before, but I'm interested now.
    Oh dear me When someone is so vehemently against a scent I simply have to try it, just like Shycat and Paisley!! Please, no more posts of "never wear this", please!!
    I never even bothered to try it but now.....
    Luca Turin fulminating against poor Champs Elysees?? Riannon sniffing, buying and spraying with a to Mr. Turin.
    Oh, the appeal of scorned scents....So glad I am not the only one out here
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Talking Re: Please, ladies, don't wear Amarige.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    Now, I had other plans for today. I was going to buy some ice and send some Mexican spices to my new friend in the Great White North, but now, thanks to you, I have to go to a mall (a mall on a December Sunday!) and spray this on very deliberately and antagonistically and wait to see what happens. Dammit.
    Okay, I only mean this half-jokingly, but...

So, you're going to delay an act of benevolence to one of your friends and leave your ice needs wanting, because of one man's post? Yikes. I'll have to think very carefully before each message I post so I don't throw so many other people's plans and lives out of whack.
    Last edited by yepyep; 3rd December 2006 at 08:53 AM.

Okay, here's my problem with Amarige: If you're wearing this for yourself, fine. If you're wearing it for others, that's fine too, but don't be surprised if people keep their distance from you. I've never met a man who liked Amarige. Whenever I'm in an elevator and I smell Amarige, I literally get sick. After the woman who was wearing Amarige leaves, the rest of the occupants in the elevator look at each other and pretend to vomit. But if you like it, that's all that really matters!

Overcome By Fumes

Good to know that my terrible taste has been affirmed.

I am a man, and I know a woman who wears Amarige as her signature and I find it to smell very pleasant on her.

I do have some additional advice though:

Never wear Jean Desprez Nuit de Versailles (Bal a Versailles is ok).

Never buy a bottle of Nuit de Versailles, and especially,

Never send that bottle to me!

Let's see if reverse psychology really works...

Reverse psychology only works with four years-old... (if you are lucky, that is!).

I want Amarige - NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep
    Okay, here's my problem with Amarige: If you're wearing this for yourself, fine. If you're wearing it for others, that's fine too, but don't be surprised if people keep their distance from you. I've never met a man who liked Amarige.
    You never met my late beloved husband who bought me my first bottle.

I'm on my third bottle and will steer clear of you if you will tell me your exact location - don't wanna make friends sick! :bounce:

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

I get really annoyed with these 'never buy this perfume, please' statements...

Just because some have no idea how to apply with discretion or just don't care does not mean that all other wearers should boycott it across the globe.

And my, what arrogance to assume that because you, a faceless somebody, somewhere, does not like it I should disgard a scent that I choose to own. That's confidence for you - or delusion.

Personally I consider Amarige to be a parfum masquerading as an EDT and people are causing offence by applying it as an EDT. I decant mine and apply very, very discretely a drop / dab at a time. And I always receive plenty of spontaneous compliments when I choose to wear it. I must admit the admirers are always shocked, amazed or plain disbelieving when I tell them what I am wearing.

I, for one, will continue to wear this much maligned mis-packaged beauty, applied very discretely for a long time to come.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva

Personally I consider Amarige to be a parfum masquerading as an EDT and people are causing offence by applying it as an EDT.
    I think the same way.
    The only problem with Amarige is overspraying -wich can be very tricky in this case here- and also some unfortunate skin chemistry, like say, the one people who smoke have.

Jumping on the bandwagon! This would be a great marketing ploy. I had always avoided Amarige for really no good reason. But I know the next time I see it, I will HAVE to try it, especially after reading the posts about how beautiful it is if worn correctly. That's how I got intrigued by Poison. I love a challenge

I used to live with a friend whose father-in-law was a very elegant man. He was half Parisian and half Sicilian. This is a genetic cocktail creating the most self assured personality imaginable. Anyway, he loved to purchase gift sets of mini perfumes for her, and Givenchy was one of them. As this was before my perfume-crazed days, I had very few perfumes of my own and would apply some of hers from time to time. I wore the Amarige a few times. I didn't find it particularly appealing. I also didn't find it particularly unappealing. I really can't understand this vehement reaction. But I agree that I'm almost drawn to Amarige now as a knee jerk reaction to being told what not to do.
    People who over apply can expect others to react badly no matter what their chosen scent is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    I think the same way.
    The only problem with Amarige is overspraying -wich can be very tricky in this case here- and also some unfortunate skin chemistry, like say, the one people who smoke have.
    It is funny that you should mention chemistry and smoking along with Amarige.

The first time I discovered and fell in love with Amarige I was a moderate smoker. And sadly I doused myself in this scent. Nobody complained at the time - in fact I received many compliments, but I nearly died of mortification when I eventually gave up the evil weed and smelt how potent this baby realy is! I had a beloved cardigan that I wore often - Amarige was so soaked into the fibres that the item smelt like I had just freshly applied the perfume - even straight out of the washing machine!

I recall that Amarige was a great favourite among ladies that frequented bars, pubs and clubs a lot, as it was one of the rare perfumes that held it's own against the overwhelming stale alcohol, sweat and cigarette smoke in these places.

I could not face even a trace of Amarige for 5 years until I found myself craving perfumes with a distinct plum note / accord. I read this description of a scent and began to salivate at the thought of owning and wearing it - until I saw the name. Amarige.

Funnily enough, I managed to pick up a bottle really cheap on eBay and determined to give it a very tentative try. I think I used half a squirt or more like 2 drops and let it develop. I was shocked at just how lovely it was. Haunting, tropically beautiful. Hubby came home after it had been on my wrist for half an hour and spontaneously remarked that I smelled lovely.

I am lucky, I think, that Amarige, like Givenchy Ysatis and Dior Poison, actually works well with my chemistry. But I am very careful to underapply as it does grow as it warms on the skin. A great winter scent.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Agree with Moondeva about EdT being as potent as some perfumes are or aspire to be. I am on my second bottle now, and the first was finished looooooong time ago, I like it and find it very unique. Caron Aimez-Moi in the drydown reminds me of Amarige, and they were blended by the same nose. And everybody, please pm me for a free 1ml sample, I will send anywhere. :wave:

Thrax

I always thought that it smelled good on women....

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    I recall that Amarige was a great favourite among ladies that frequented bars, pubs and clubs a lot, as it was one of the rare perfumes that held it's own against the overwhelming stale alcohol, sweat and cigarette smoke in these places.
    Now there's a context guaranteed to turn me off of Amarige forever. However, I never encountered it in that context, so I rather like it (applied sparingly, as mentioned). A lot of people bash Amarige, perhaps because of over-application. But I always found it rather pleasant when sniffing around the perfume counters. I guess it's one of those "Giorgio" type fragrances. A nice fragrance, but overkill gives it a bad reputation.

Amarige , best worn dabbed in parfum form , a mini of the real thing can be had for $8 in these parts. I still love the scent but stupidly , I bought the EDT and sprayed , it made me quite ill , pounding headache , sneezing fits you name it. This experience put me off this scent , but I was saddened , as I had loved it so much . I kept the parfum ,and rehoused the EDT.

True about this scent lasting quite long , even a few launderings will not remove the traces.

Blog Entries

I have a good friend who used to wear this a lot. It smelled FANTASTIC on her. I remember one time she came to visit & we were dancing at a club. Men & women alike kept on trying to dance with her and most told her how good she smelled.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Well... that comment forced me to buy a 1 ounce bottle. Thank you. :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    You never met my late beloved husband who bought me my first bottle.

I'm on my third bottle and will steer clear of you if you will tell me your exact location - don't wanna make friends sick! :bounce:

I live in Uppercornholeshire, UK.
    Last edited by yepyep; 3rd December 2006 at 11:12 PM.

[QUOTE=moondeva]I get really annoyed with these 'never buy this perfume, please' statements...

Just because some have no idea how to apply with discretion or just don't care does not mean that all other wearers should boycott it across the globe.

And my, what arrogance to assume that because you, a faceless somebody, somewhere, does not like it I should disgard a scent that I choose to own. That's confidence for you - or delusion.

It was just a suggestion, a plea if you will. Maybe I'm off the scent because whenever I smell it, whoever is wearing it is, like a previous poster suggested, wearing buckets of it. Maybe it all comes down to the fact that whenever I smell it, it has been over-applied. And if you read my posts, I wasn't telling anybody what to do. I was begging. =)
    Last edited by yepyep; 3rd December 2006 at 11:35 PM.

Red face Re: Please, ladies, don't wear Amarige.

I will test Amarige next time I go to town, but I think skin chemistry, age, climate, past memories and a whole lot of things can be involved with why we may not like a scent. I have smelled some scents on some people that have smelled wonderful, but on me, no way. Then I will get compliments on frags that some would not want to be in the same store with. Go figure.

I just gotta put my two cents in here.

I had a sample of this and showed it to a fellow coworker. This dude immediately started jumping up and down saying, "My wife has gotta smell and wear this. She'll go crazy!"

A week or so later my coworker reported that his wife "got a bottle and went crazy!" This fellow seemed totally pleased. Maybe his wife detected the strength of this stuff and used "just a little."

As a man who often wears woman's fragrances, I can assure you that I will not be wearing Amarige de Givenchy (Safari by Ralph Lauren for Women is more my style), but I love and respect it as "one hellava scent!"

Best,

~S.

Maybe I'll have to test it on a card. I'll only spray a little though. I doubt that I'll change my mind about this scent, but it's possible. =) Maybe my post should've said, "Just a suggestion, please don't drown yourself in Amarige, but of course you can do what you want, you're an individual with her own opinions and of course I realize that I don't control your life, it's just a suggestion. Just a suggestion, you know, take it or leave it. Just putting it out there."

There were 2 young women at the Church that I used to attend....This smelled wonderful on them....This is a very bold statement.....I'm sorry......I Do Not Agree!!!!!!!
    Gary

I guess I have some 'splainin to do!
    Last edited by yepyep; 4th December 2006 at 07:10 AM.

I train martial arts (MMA, mixed martial arts) and one of the girls in class had on a perfume that, when I got close to her as we often do in class, was impossible to ignore. It wasn't so much that I liked it, but it was just interesting: strong, penetrating, did I mention...strong? I didn't quite match the girl (sort of small-boned, almost frail, but with a personality that I see is larger than her looks would suggest) with the fragrance, but I asked her what it was. Amerige.

Since then, she keeps asking me if I've bought any yet. :-p

Yes, it is a rather loud scent, from my experience.

Question Re: Please, ladies, don't wear Amarige.

I got the small bottle at Duty Free and love it and am finishing it up. Hopefully we won't be near each other so I won't bother you

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

I think your Amarige post is spot-on. fellow Glaswegian!

Blog Entries

I have to agree. It gives me a terrible headache. It's the mimosa. I can't tolerate it in any amount, let alone this stuff which has it in a massive quantity.

queen of the universe

Sometimes dime store fabulous is just what I want. no worries, I'll post a warning (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Please ladies DO USE AMARIGE! It's marvelous!

Somebody had to dig up a thread that is 6 years old and out of 31 original responses, only three people are still alive and posting. O tempora, o mores!

Of course I can't provide a free sample of Amarige any more (as per #16) -- it is long gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Somebody had to dig up a thread that is 6 years old and out of 31 original responses, only three people are still alive and posting. O tempora, o mores!

Of course I can't provide a free sample of Amarige any more (as per #16) -- it is long gone!
    TOO funny Twolf!! I've read this thread twice & never caught on that it was dredged up from the archives. But not so humorous to you if you're bombarded with sample requests. Sorry for the chuckle at your expense, but you had me rolling.