Code of Conduct

Question Appropriateness for work?

I am a 40+ y/o new member. I have a pretty good collection of mass market fragrances purchased around the 1997-2000 timeframe, with a few recent additions such as Armani Code, Yang, and D&G PH. I am looking for a signature work scent appropriate for every day, preferably a fresh scent suitable for all year - detectable and memorable, with good sillage - just not overpowering. Yang has been fitting the bill lately. It seems to have very good longevity on me, and is fresh and clean. Though I feel it might smell a bit young. I have also been wearing Armani Code and Zino alot since it is Winter and these seem to be definite cooler weather fragrances.

I believe I am pretty well stocked for Winter (check the wardrobe). I'm just thinking ahead for some future sniff-testing. Recommendations please?

As an FYI, I should mention that I am rarely in a suit. I am a repair technician (telecom) for Fortune 500 companies and I usually wear khakis and a polo, or even jeans and a sweater most of the time, so the more formal scents are out (like Boucheron, which I own, but seems very formal to me since I wore it on my wedding day).

Thanks!

Default Re: Appropriateness for work?

Bulgari PH or PH Exteme (more citrusy)
    Kiton Men
    Lanvin L'Homme
    Live Jazz

Or, if you really like the Boucheron but think it's too formal they make a lighter version of it.

nearfantastica

Hey there.

After browsing your wardrobe.. I would consider Platinum Egoiste and Gendarme your best everyday options. Neither are particularily "cold weather" fragrances.. but both are very clean... fresh and versatile.

Armani Code is another good option. The three aforementioned fragrances are all pretty unchallenging and non-offensive fragrances. Yang is another good option if worn lightly (since this one is a true sillage hound).

Generally speaking, I would stay away from some of the heavier scents for a work-environment (such as your Santos). In this day and age of elevated levels of breathing conditions, allergies and asthma.. playing it "P.C" when it comes to fragrances at work.. seems the safe option.

It's funny isn't it? Especially here in Ottawa, Canada.. there is a huge push to ban fragrances due to peoples' allergies to them.. but very little initiative in eliminating the polution and chemicals in our breathing air, that cause these conditions to start with. Prevention vs. baid aid.

a.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My vote (from your wardrobe) is for Gendarme. I have this one as well & I wear it to work quite a bit. Another I'd recommend for work is Thierry Mugler Cologne. It's very soft, subtle, & soapy like Gendarme, but I think TM Cologne's character is a bit more interesting.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Smile Re: Appropriateness for work?

Thanks for the comments so far. I do like Gendarme and Platinum, and wear them both quite a bit. Platinum is the closest thing I have to a signature fragrance, since I usually go through a 3.4 oz bottle each year. Both frags seem to get a bad rap on basenotes -- supposedly, Gendarme smells like Woolite, and Platinum is an overpowering "clubbing" scent. I'm not into the clubbing scene anymore, but it seems to me that the trend today among the young clubbing crowd is unisex ala CK_whatever and Aqua di Gio. I am looking for something modern, masculine, and sophisticated - yet fresh and clean. A bit of exclusivity wouldn't hurt either. There are no niche shops that I know of in Salt Lake - the best frag selection I have found is Dillards and Nordstrom. I recently compared Canali and John Varvatos side by side, and liked the JV much better - although longevity was nil. The leather drydown in JV reminded me of the original DK Men. I used to wear this all the time, but now it's discontinued. Granted, neither of these could be called "fresh". I'm hoping to try Gucci Envy and Rochas (Lui?) soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do like Gucci's Envy a lot, actually. Even for a work environment. de Nicolai's New-York is another solidly good perfume for work, I think. I may not be heads-over-heels in love with it, I still recognize quality.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

Based on ur wardrobe and what Ive experienced Cool Water or Versace L'Homme

Post Thanks / Like

>>>>modern, masculine, and sophisticated - yet fresh and clean. A bit of exclusivity wouldn't hurt either.<<<<

how about malle's Vetiver Extrordinaire? fits that description to a T. I could also see Fou d'Absinthe working. Maybe Blenheim Bouquet?
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    Thanks for the comments so far. I do like Gendarme and Platinum, and wear them both quite a bit. Platinum is the closest thing I have to a signature fragrance, since I usually go through a 3.4 oz bottle each year. Both frags seem to get a bad rap on basenotes -- supposedly, Gendarme smells like Woolite, and Platinum is an overpowering "clubbing" scent.
    Hi,
    It sounds like you've already got a pretty good handle on this!

Very interesting that P. Egoiste is viewed as an overpowering clubbing scent. To me it's quite sophisticated, and could go well with a suit. Each to their own!

I work as a consultant, and have less need to blend in and be political. I don't respond very well to peer pressure. I routinely transgress the "rules" of cold weather vs. warm weather, light vs. heavy, day vs. night, and so on. If I've got something strong, I just ease up on the trigger when going to work or being in other close quarters.

I wore Rochas Lui to work on Friday, and it was a nice "summer in winter" thing. It's got a grassy feel, with nice wood and a bit of spice balancing it out. Envy is a fave, and there's one that's quite heady and strong - even I'm a little hesitant to wear this at work; depends on how much flirting is planned, I suppose!

You can't beat Rochas' Lui, that's true. It is one of my best buys ever, period. A tad retro, yes, but perhaps that what makes it so damn lovable.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

nearfantastica

Rochas Lui is one of the only fragrances I've ever tried..that literally made me want to crawl out of my own skin. There's a clashing of notes in it that really makes me queasy. I am glad to hear that it doesn't rub others the same way that it rubs me.

a.

Welcome! I'm thinking that as you are a computer technician, you might actually be more hot & sweaty than others may suspect. (The techs at my firm are always moving computer equipment around, under desks, running cables & the like, not just setting windows configs up.) Summer frags may work better for you even during winter.

YSL PH
    Eau Sauvage
    Royall Lyme (on me it lasted all day, this was a shocker)
    English Leather
    Acqua di Selva (it has the pine-sharpness of Platinum Egoiste but dies down to a soft soapy frag); Bowling Green is similar but not as sharp and doesn't have the soapy notes.

Since you like Santos, be sure to check out Santos Eau de Sport... although it is discontinued, it is still available online at reasonable prices.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I work in an office. I rotate all the scents in my wardrobe, whether they are heavy scents, fresh scents or lighter scents.

If I had to narrow down only to a few from my wardrobe, I would pick Bulgari PH Extreme and Boucheron PH (but this is more of a dress up scent).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    I work in an office. I rotate all the scents in my wardrobe, whether they are heavy scents, fresh scents or lighter scents.

If I had to narrow down only to a few from my wardrobe, I would pick Bulgari PH Extreme and Boucheron PH (but this is more of a dress up scent).
    In theory I can wear just about anything at my office, as long as I don't go heavy on the application. But there are some that I just end up feeling are more suitable for office wear.
    Bulgari PH - This is always mentioned as a nice office scent, and I agree. I've gotten many compliments on it.
    Gendarme - I love it, and wear it a lot.
    CdG's Odeur 53. Call me strange. It works well on me as a subtle skin scent.
    Green Tea by Roger and Gallet
    And in fall, winter I wear Mechant Loup (just got it and love it), Dzing, Javari (Its The Body Shop, but it's really nice), and small doses of Helmut Lang's classic Curion.

-Good Luck,
    Slim

Paco Rabanne PH is worth a try

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Appropriateness for work?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    I am a 40+ y/o new member. I have a pretty good collection of mass market fragrances purchased around the 1997-2000 timeframe, with a few recent additions such as Armani Code, Yang, and D&G PH. I am looking for a signature work scent appropriate for every day, preferably a fresh scent suitable for all year - detectable and memorable, with good sillage - just not overpowering. Yang has been fitting the bill lately. It seems to have very good longevity on me, and is fresh and clean. Though I feel it might smell a bit young. I have also been wearing Armani Code and Zino alot since it is Winter and these seem to be definite cooler weather fragrances.

I believe I am pretty well stocked for Winter (check the wardrobe). I'm just thinking ahead for some future sniff-testing. Recommendations please?

As an FYI, I should mention that I am rarely in a suit. I am a repair technician (telecom) for Fortune 500 companies and I usually wear khakis and a polo, or even jeans and a sweater most of the time, so the more formal scents are out (like Boucheron, which I own, but seems very formal to me since I wore it on my wedding day).

Thanks!

If you like D&G try Havana. Hard to find but well worth it. Also the new Creed Tabarome.

Geir. Lasts forever, and especially good in winter. If you liked JV but it was gone too fast you might go for the fruitier Rocabar, but do NOT buy blind.

Tuscany may work better for you than Platinum Egoiste. In fact, it may become you signature scent.

I forgot Yang when I met Himalaya. SMW is also great but you might have longevity issues. Really a matter of body chemistry, on some lucky bastards, it lasts all day.

Sounds like you have a cool job.

Good Luck.

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Appropriateness for work?

Ah, once again I have to advertise Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo. It is so natural and distinguished, very recognizeable character. It somehow screams signature, can't explain it any further. I'm hooked, so is Mr. Villoresi.

Smile Re: Appropriateness for work?

Yes, the job is more active than most would expect. I am mostly in and out of computer rooms and offices all day, installing routers/switches - mostly light stuff, and carrying test equipment around, so I DO sweat a bit - more so in summer.

I have tried rocabar - yecchhh! something about that one just screams grandpa to me. Paco Rabanne was a fave when I was in my 20s and I've been planning to revisit that one. Thank you all - looks like I have my work cut out for me on my next visit to Nordstrom's.

I think you can pull off Envy at work, if you don't go on too heavy with it.

Since its getting colder, have you considered/tried LP No9 by Penhaligons?

Post Thanks / Like

Cannabis Santal You will thank me .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised at some of the suggestions given you specified a warm weather fragrance.

The one I'm wearing HEAPS here in Australian summer is Terre d'Hermes. Lots of compliments, it's clean and fresh but distinctive, earthy and flinty too. Testers of it go quite cheap on the net.

Others I'd suggest for an active day job are:

Armani Eau PH (my SOTD, got compliments, possibly the best designer citrus)
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Bvlgari PH
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Dunhill Homme 2003
    Essenza di Zegna Intense

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime