Code of Conduct

Thread: Zino notes

Default Zino notes

So for those who know Zino - inside the crazy haze that is this fragrance, there are some notes that I'd describe as "soapy" or "balmy" and some that I'd descripe as "scratchy" or "powdery".

Which notes would be giving these effects?

Also has anyone tried the Aftershave balm or the Body lotion? I just got one of each dirt cheap on ebay.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121734.html
    Top Notes
    Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lavender, Rosewood ,

Middle Notes
    Muguet, Rose, Jasmin, Geranium ,

Base Notes
    Tonka, Sandal, Amber, Cedar, Patchouli, Vanilla,

Default Re: Zino notes

Normally I would connect Iris with "powdery"...........

Mic.

Thrax

I'm sure that "death" should be in those notes somewhere...

Which one is the burning 80s sharp-like-a-razor top note? I can see why some like this scent, but that opening pierces my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    Which one is the burning 80s sharp-like-a-razor top note? I can see why some like this scent, but that opening pierces my nose.
    Indeed, that's exactly why I'm asking. I love the balmy soapy rootbeer notes, but that burning powder stuff is kind of annoying, though it goes away pretty fast.

Xeryus Rouge is also like that. Some wonderful sweet aqueous cactusy notes, but you have to wait until the dustcloud of powdered sugar on fire subsides to smell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    I'm sure that "death" should be in those notes somewhere...
    That would be the cyanide cloud in the head.

Still, the rest of it is really lovely!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    So for those who know Zino - inside the crazy haze that is this fragrance, there are some notes that I'd describe as "soapy" or "balmy" and some that I'd descripe as "scratchy" or "powdery".

Which notes would be giving these effects?

Also has anyone tried the Aftershave balm or the Body lotion? I just got one of each dirt cheap on ebay.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121734.html
    Top Notes
    Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lavender, Rosewood ,

Middle Notes
    Muguet, Rose, Jasmin, Geranium ,

Base Notes
    Tonka, Sandal, Amber, Cedar, Patchouli, Vanilla,
    Rosewood is often used in soaps, so that might be what you smell as "soapy." Clary sage has a balsamic odor; is that what you mean by "balmy"? Cedar or patchouli might come across as "scratchy." As for "powdery," that could be the vanilla or the amber.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I also get some sort of house note which is in common with cool water - slightly synthetic smelling.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks for the info JaimeB - maybe patchouli and Cedar are the culprits. I should see what clary sage and rosewood smell like on their own, maybe those are the outstanding notes that I like in this hazy brew.

Hirsch - if you can detect a common note with cool water in here you have a superior olfactory system indeed! Maybe it's a synthetic lavender, or jasmine - those are the only notes they have in common. I can barely think of two colognes that smell less alike than Zino and Cool Water!

I was always told that there is loads of honey and beeswax in this fragrance
    which gives it that very distinctive character.

Hirsch - if you can detect a common note with cool water in here you have a superior olfactory system indeed! Maybe it's a synthetic lavender, or jasmine - those are the only notes they have in common. I can barely think of two colognes that smell less alike than Zino and Cool Water!
    I have them both in front of me now, one on each arm. They are very different, I agree but I definately get a common note. Its kind of undefined and general background note in both which permeates the whole construction. It smells kind of plasticy/rounded/soft (not bad, but distinctive). It seems like if I try and ignore the fragrance oils and smell the carrier solution, it may be that. Or maybe that synthetic jasmine?? Anyone else shed any light? Chemistry buffs??

As an aside, zino is really good but I have just remembered how good cool water is too.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Cool Water is nice, isn't it? Did you ever try Cool Water Frozen? It's like Cool Water but without the "aqueousness". Very nice too.

What cologne does Lester Young wear?

Cool Water is nice, isn't it? Did you ever try Cool Water Frozen? It's like Cool Water but without the "aqueousness". Very nice too.

What cologne does Lester Young wear?
    I did smell frozen once in a shop. I liked it but not as much as the original.

Prez wore ......Caron Pour Un Homme? Something a little mournful? what do you think (got to have been available 1930-1955)

I'm still sniffing the davidoffs, its like the two frags have the same "envelope" if that makes any sense ?

reviews