Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK now I ask you boys...

best scent for a man that is ..........very original, himself, not a replica, natural, not a copy of thousands, very creative but not in top position, not influencible, simply original and self-conscient, 44 years of age, dark hair, light skin if it is important. Quiet and very deliberate, pleasant. Cares only about hygiene, doesn´t use frags. Would wear any good scent but not very loud. Something special, like he is.
    Should be a gift, thanks in advance.

I tried at women´s forum but without success :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OK now I ask you boys...

L'Air du Desert Morocain

Try Michael by Michael Kors.

Post Thanks / Like

Royal English Leather... applied lightly

mark birley - rather obscure masterful men's frag by haute perfumer frederic malle in collaboration with pierre bourdon.

or, to go out on a limb a little, santa maria novella pomegranate - smells nothing like pomegranate, it's a very beautifully emphatically hygenic scent almost sort of a white noise quality to it, really addictive, would be a great, singular, serious signature scent.

either of these nobody but nobody else is likely to be wearing.

(I think l'air du desert is too sweet for this guy)
    Last edited by supermarky; 5th December 2006 at 07:59 AM.

I'm not a boy. And my answer may not be what you want to hear. But the kind of man who makes me want to jump his bones is the kind who doesn't wear fragrance, but whose sweat smells like pure sex. My SO is one of those men, and a couple men I've dated before were like this - just don't over-wash, and you'll attract the partner who's attracted to *you.* Of course I'm terrifically into perfume myself, so this comes from a place of complete hypocracy - but then I think that whatever you wear, if it is in combination with your own natural smell *and* with what you like, you will attract those who will have spectacular chemistry with you. after all, you want a partner who likes you for what you love.

Post Thanks / Like

Hooka Dancer's advice is excellent and safe. If the man has concsiously decided not wear colognes, you may wish to leave it at that!

L'air du Desert...? For someone who does NOT use frags?? Go ahead...if you want to loose him forever.

Something more subtle and masculine perhaps: Givenchy Xerius, also referred to as Xerius Black and opposed to the overly sweet Xerius rouge. If you're lucky you will still be able to find the immensely chique black bottle across the border in Mulhouse / France. There you could also still find Dior's Jules which is not sold outside France. Good for his age group, not over the top but a cologne with a smell, still at their old prices.

Very suitable for the man you describe, and made with a good feel for Swiss customers, are the LesNez scents: L'Antimatière for an easy entry into the fragrant world (he won't smell a thing), the Unicorn for a more intellectual, the Lion for a warm hearted man! They are inobtrusive and recommendable also to the office, I would say. Tauer and LesNez will send you samples in no time. If Tauer, you may wish to ask for Orris also, call his friend at the bookstore (Spiegelgasse).
    You may find it, and some of the others nice on yourself
    Last edited by narcus; 5th December 2006 at 08:46 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Turkish HD - yes, he smells naturally like heaven and no scent can be better - OH! But for ehm, outside performance, I would like him to wear something special that would be let´s say his logo like his personality.

Btw L´Air Du Dessert was suggested already twice, I am going to order a sample.

I agree on something rather subtle and masculine, but not macho like at all.
    Something with light yet distinctive notes:
    - Dior Bois d'Argent: slightly smoked notes with sweet gourmand hints.
    - Cartier Declaration: sparkling light woods with green-balsamic hints and delicate mossy undertones

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with the Les Nez recommendations, but would also recommend Malle's Vetiver Extrordinaire, and possibly Noir Epices. Then again, CdG 3 might also work. Hmmm... (note to self: wear CdG 3 tomorrow...)
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61
    Dear Turkish HD - yes, he smells naturally like heaven and no scent can be better - OH! But for ehm, outside performance, I would like him to wear something special that would be let´s say his logo like his personality.

Sounds great! If you can get your hands on some Attar Bazaar Persian Amber, that might be an irresistable fragrance on both of you, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Alicka - certainly order a sample of the Tauer L'air du Desert, but note that it was recommended only once, but contra-indicated twice. Indeed, from reviews I've read of it, it doesn't seem to be a likely candidate for your man, but i have not personally smelled it.
    baald

Quote Originally Posted by baald
    Alicka - certainly order a sample of the Tauer L'air du Desert, but note that it was recommended only once, but contra-indicated twice. Indeed, from reviews I've read of it, it doesn't seem to be a likely candidate for your man, but i have not personally smelled it.
    *whispers* smelled like over sweet Barberol shaving cream on my skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baald
    i agree with the Les Nez recommendations, but would also recommend Malle's Vetiver Extrordinaire, and possibly Noir Epices. Then again, CdG 3 might also work. Hmmm... (note to self: wear CdG 3 tomorrow...)
    Noir Epices seems a bit too much for your average non-Basenoter

But Vetiver Extraordinaire is

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: OK now I ask you boys...

Although it is one of my absolute favourites, that's by no means the reason for my suggestion. I just think it's perfect fit for your description. I vote against Bois d'Argent, L'Air du Desert Marocain and Noir Epices, if that's allowed

Divine's L'Homme de Coeur

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Frederic Malle is my recommendation too, but Musc Ravageur.

Post Thanks / Like

If he isn't used to fragrances, he might feel uncomfortable with a heavy scent. Why not try something lighter with a clean musk base, like Gendarme or Bulgari pH? A nice vetiver could also be a good choice, and Malle's Vetiver is undeniably one of the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it must be definitely light and I forgot to add that he hates anything that is close to tobacco. Hm?

How about Méchant Loup? Its something that im wearing right at this wery moment (at work) and its really subtle and light. And wery original in my eyes. Sweet nutty like creamines. Heres a review from directory that fit it good.

Quote Originally Posted by by robyogi , 01 March 2006
    This is a very intriguing scent. Right from the start it is somehow both entirely new and interesting, and completely familiar and boring. I've gone back and forth over whether it keeps my interest or not, and every time I have decided that it bores me, I get a whiff of something that pulls me back in. It's woodsy, earthy, sweet. It definitely has a strong note of hazelnut, in fact, on me the hazelnut is almost a dominant note. It does remind me of a forest, as many have pointed out. It's got an earthy sweetness to it, a little bit musky, but mostly earthy woods. I don't get the animal fur scent at all. Smelling this does bring to mind a fairy tale place where the big bad wolf would live...very cool effect. It's rich without being heavy or swampy. It's warm without being overly dark. I would even try this in the summer, though it seems better suited to the winter. The only downsides: it wears very close to my skin and does not last long at all.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121076&page=reviews
    On me it has lasted from the moment I put it on, 7.30 in the morning, to right now, 15.22 at ewening.

Post Thanks / Like

Alicka, I'd run away from all these niche stuff... Try something clean and easy going like:
    - Davidoff Echo
    - Laguna
    - Bvlgari BLV
    - Acqua di Giò (if ubiquity is one an important issue)

Post Thanks / Like

best scent for a man that is ..........very original, himself, not a replica, natural, not a copy of thousands, very creative but not in top position, not influencible, simply original and self-conscient, 44 years of age, dark hair, light skin if it is important. Quiet and very deliberate, pleasant. Cares only about hygiene, doesn´t use frags. Would wear any good scent but not very loud. Something special, like he is.
    Should be a gift, thanks in advance.

I tried at women´s forum but without success :-)
    Very distinct and understandable description of a lucky man.......

I'd suggest John Varvatos or Rive Gauche pour Homme from ones I'm familiar with. But, if you want to go "niche", then maybe Fou d'Absinthe would be appropriate for him.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't want to sound rude or obnoxious, but honestly guys! She is asking for something light and unique, and you come up with Musc Ravageur, L'Air du Desert Marocain, Noir Epices and Rive Gauche! None of these fit the light criteria in my books, not even close! Also, do I have to mention, that Acqua di Gio is not very unique.

I do appreciate most of the mentioned scents, but my opinion is, that they are off the mark in this thread.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 5th December 2006 at 02:59 PM.

Antaeus. (I would have said Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme as well had they not re-formulated it.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Pls Johnny I am listening to your recs :-)

Post Thanks / Like

To me this sounds like Relax by Davidoff would be a really good fit. It is a little hard to come by but worth it when you do.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with johnny. If this guy is not used to using frags, he needs something easy to wear to start with and if that piques his interest, something more challanging can come later.

I would go for Creed Original Vetiver or Guerlain Heritage or maybe Habit Rouge.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

OK, your man sounds very similar to me in personality, so I will tell you the fragrance that works for me: Dunhill for men original (1934). It is classic, it is uncommon, it is unique, it is masculine, it is clean, it is quiet and gentlemanly. 1 or 2 sprays is very light and unobtrusive, but stays all day. Its not soapy, but its also not heavy and dark. Still it smells clean and self-assured, but if applied lightly it is not an obvious perfume-like smell. Very subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    I really don't want to sound rude or obnoxious, but honestly guys! She is asking for something light and unique, and you come up with Musc Ravageur, L'Air du Desert Marocain, Noir Epices and Rive Gauche! None of these fit the light criteria in my books, not even close! Also, do I have to mention, that Acqua di Gio is not very unique.

I do appreciate most of the mentioned scents, but my opinion is, that they are off the mark in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Alicka, I'm not saying that my suggestions are any good, I just try to be true to your question. Anyhow, here's some ideas;

Earlier I mentioned L'Homme de Coeur, it's very special iris scent, it's still my number one for your cause. Other than that Bulgari Pour Homme and Original Vetiver are in my opinion good ideas. Gendarme is obviously nice, but has no personality at all, even less so than Bulgari Pour Homme and Original Vetiver. Helmut Lang is another rather clean and gentlemanly scent, but not at all common or boring!

Also, it might be a good idea to sample scents like Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo, Acqua di Parma and Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand; excellent citrus fragrances with distinctive character. Easy to wear scents with very traditional theme but perfect execution.

Look for more information in the directory of the fragrances mentioned and also others - it's truly invaluable tool, but beware, there is always a danger you'll end up going through it for hours. Good luck!!
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 5th December 2006 at 04:41 PM.

Original Gendarme

Another vote for Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter: Le Dandy by D Orsay
    Spring: L homme de coeur by Divine
    Summer: Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Autumn: Jules by Dior

The last one works perfectly for all purposes.
    Last edited by costello; 5th December 2006 at 05:10 PM.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Post Thanks / Like

mea culpa. i just went and took a spray of noir epices. better save that for his advancement to "enthusiast", should it ever happen. (i have very limited experience with NE, but this quick spray reaffirms my like of it, and demonstrates how certain scents are so chameleon like, and *need* repeated wearings to appreciate. I did hate it at first...)

i will reaffirm my recommendations of VE and CdG 3 though (i'm wearing CdG 3 on the other side of m body right now. Really delightful, easy to wear, and unique).
    baald

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

What about Acqua di Parma and/or Acqua di Biella? Both are light, zingy and citrusy without being overbearing - they're not like you spritzed yourself with half a lemon.

Both are considered classy (at least, I consider them so) and are non-mainstream. They may be so non-mainstream that they'd be difficult to find - I know that Neiman Marcus sells AdP, but AdB? I've only seen it at the Luckyscent website, where I got a sample of it.

Both are kind of expensive as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunhill for Men, Heritage, Habit Rouge, Antaeus? Classics all, but I get the feeling not exactly what the poster is looking for. She says "not very loud" and these tend to make their presence heard in no uncertain terms!

How about Geir Ness, Creed Origianl Vetiver (already recomended), Creed Imperial, Ulrich Lang Anvers?

Or more mainstream but still not likely to be worn by the masses, Givenchy Blue Label, Guerlain L'Instant, Hugh Parsons 99 Regent Street?

Three from among many. They are far from common (you may need to buy these online, most dept. stores have long purged there shelves of them), discreet, slyly sexy, understated, classy. And they smell good. Nothing weird or outlandish, just beautifully composed:

Égoïste (Chanel)

Nino Cerruti (Cerruti)

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Hoome (Van Cleef & Arpels)

Post Thanks / Like

Alicka,
    I am also lucky enough that my wife likes my, let's say, personal scent a lot!

Since he doesn't wear scents (and thus can't suggest any), have you tried some scents yourself to see if one reminds you of all his qualities? I'll bet you can find one!

BTW, L'Air D. D. is expensive, but if you're rich, no problem!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Miracle Homme By Lancome is a nice understated fragrance, haven't smelled many others wearing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ysl - M7

I retested Cartier Declaration yesterday evening and, again, I can see it perfectly fitting the bill, far better even than Bulgari PH

Post Thanks / Like

L'Eau de L'Artisan (L'Artisan) - very superior, light, distinctive, mood-elevating grassy citrus that I think is much underappreciated here (In my opinion you can disregard the most recent posted review). I can't imagine anyone not liking this or thinking it not unique.

Jaisalmer (Comme des Garcons) - just fantastic, sexy (I allow myself to imagine) and highly masculine without being overbearing

Palisander (Comme des Garcons) - unlike anything else, very distinctive and pleasant, but not for everyone and maybe not for a first fragrance

Citta di Kyoto (Santa Maria Novella) - also unlike anything else, very distinctive and pleasant, also not for everyone but rather light and clean in my opinion

1869 (Acca Kappa) - a subtle, clean floral, still very masculine. Notes of cardamom, geranium and I'm not sure what else.

Any of these, and many others mentioned in this thread, will be something that effectively no one else has. I'm reminded of a friend's comment about another friend: "I can't believe she has a DB7--normal people don't have a DB7."

Post Thanks / Like

Cartier Eau de Cartier

Subtley confident but not arrogant, wears close to skin. And of course very clean smelling!

Good luck

Funksta

Post Thanks / Like

How about this one? It's light, bright, and I think (correct me if I'm mistaken) quite unique:

Boss In Motion Blue Edition

Acqua di Parma - Colonia
    Monsieur Galimard
    Photo (old)
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Patyka Chypre is nice.

This stuff goes on strong sort of like bug repellant, but after 20min, it becomes very subtle. It's very green, but not a coniferous (pine, spruce) kind of green: more like a soft grassy green. It's like the green note in Bandit without the leather/rubber, carnation and all that "pink" smelling stuff. It's far more wearable than Bandit, but not too easy to aquire.

S

Based on your description of his powerful but understated style:
    Pour Un Homme de Caron
    Armani Eau Pour Homme

RM

Post Thanks / Like

I want to thank to all of you for your recs and inform you that today I passed a sniffing tour and fell head over heels with AG Sables and bought it for my dear HB. It´s really very special scent.

I want to thank to all of you for your recs and inform you that today I passed a sniffing tour and fell head over heels with AG Sables and bought it for my dear HB. It´s really very special scent.
    Great, great choice.
    I've been wanting to add this one for a long time.
    He's a lucky guy.

-Slim