Code of Conduct

Wink Sexiest feminine scents

Okay, looking for input (preferably from males) on what really gets your goat... Here are, what I feel, are the top three scents conducive to romance (in order from best to worst):

Dolce & Gabanna (pour femme - red cap)
    Opium YSL
    Lauren - RL

I should state that I am an older, somewhat nostalgic, man around 40.

D&G is, by far, the "knock the ball out of the park", fragrance for me.
    Opium is a distant second.
    Lauren is actually (IMO) appropriate for the office, but is also very sexy.

I'm no fan of the current "gourmand" craze aka Flowerbomb, Angel, and their ilk.

Thoughts / comments?

Default Re: Sexiest feminine scents

My experience has been that a man will find any fragrance a woman chooses to wear sexy if he finds her desirable to begin with, presuming it isn't a perfume that really makes him gag. It goes with the whole package. There are plenty of male perfumistas on Basenotes, though, who may disagree with me - but I think they are the exceptions.

Example, my first husband loved Ambush (which I always thought of as a horrible stinky perfume - old lady, cheap 'ho, you name it. And my apologies here to any Ambush lovers). Reason: the babysitter that used to watch him and his younger brothers and sisters when he was 13 years old wore Ambush. And to his 13-year old awakening hormones she was the epitome of sexiness and desirability. Years later, he still thought it was a sexy scent. It's all in the mind.

But, again...Basenoters may be the exception to this because they are already discriminating before they even meet the woman they will find sexy. They may even be turned off by a woman they would ordinarily find attractive if she wore a scent they didn't like, though, er...maybe not. It's possible that my experience is the exception to the rule.

Sorry...I'm not a man. I'm a woman in my 40's. I have owned and worn Lauren and Opium, but never garnered many compliments on them. My current (second) husband likes Fracas, and the other night he complimented me on Mitsouko. But he doesn't like many perfumes at all. I have always thought Opium is a very sexy fragrance, unfortunately it doesn't work as well on me as I've smelled on others.
    Last edited by sherrie11; 3rd December 2006 at 11:30 PM.

'sexy' for men means young, fresh but bold enough, perfect balance between sexual and innocence.

Fleurs d 'Oranger by Serge Lutens

also Clair de Musc

I think sexy can mean a lot of different things to different men. My man doesn't find anything by Serge Lutens sexy at all. Perhaps there is something in the "Sheldrakade" that turns him off. He does find those maligned gourmands sexy. His favourite scent for me is Lolita Lempicka. He also favours L'Instant de Guerlain and Trouble, which both have a yummy, honied undertone. He's also expressed pleasure at Bond's Little Italy, which is quite foody IMO. And he does like Opium quite a bit. I hate it, however, so he'll have to sniff it on someone else. Since I am planning to give my bottle to his little sister, this may cure him of finding it alluring in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by pellen
    I think sexy can mean a lot of different things to different men.
    yes of course but let 's say generally speaking...sexy is about balanced conceptions of what is representative of feminity.

Clair de Musc and Fleurs d 'Oranger are exceptions in the Serge Lutens line. in the summer time Fleurs d 'Oranger never fails to get me hot compliments by men, I never experience that degree of attention wearing something else.

I have always been allied with men who have extremely limited creative vocabularies and even more severely limited facial expressions. I can therefore state that the lone physical response--the upturned nose--has occurred at those scents that men categorize as "masculine." It has also been my experience that anything "strong" or "perfumey" is a big turn-off, as is incense.

Strangely, for all the research that would indicate vanilla might be a safe zone, it hasn't been here. It is invariably mistaken for breakfast cereal.

Flowers (a very succinct and wide term) fare best. Pair that with "light" and you've got a home run.

At least two decades of experience bears this out, but it also might be my taste in men.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    but it also might be my taste in men.
    I feel that i m also attracted to men who have limited intellectual feedback on anything like that LOL. "in my world" most men respond well to light fruity florals and clean scents.

I always thought Musc Ravageur was the most sexual scent in my collection, but the thruth is that it rarely gets me compliments, probably too sexual, too complex or just too much somehow...

Hi. I'll tell you what my girlfriend wears currently. She's sexy.

Still by J. Lo
    Paradise by Alfred Sung
    Island Kiss by Escada
    Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

To name a few. She is Thirty.

Well, my honey and I are both attracted to the same perfumes on me - Fumerie Turque is the absolute best. My SO finds it irresistible - and we're both completely spoiled by it. I like to wear Attar Bazaar Persian amber a lot because it has a lot of the same dark, sweet, resinous things going on in it, but my SO objects to it only because it isn't FT. He says he likes it nonetheless, and he likes about it the things that remind him of FT, but no matter what I have him smell, he says he likes FT better than it. So it seems that's become the perfume from which all others are judged.

It sounds like those men with "extremely limited creative vocabularies and even more severely limited facial expressions" are into the clean, fresh, light fruity florals - my honey is very creative and a touch on the intellectual side, used to ride motorcycles and study medieval Nordic cultures, is extremely talented at arcane arts, hasn't had a TV in over a decade and is always in the middle of a book he read about in the New Yorker - so maybe if you're going for that kind of guy, you should go for the resinous, spicy, sweet and smoky fragrances.

Paris Hilton Orignal

Oh lord, that scent is just so dang sexy on girls! It smells a lot better after being on a girls skin than the card, anyone who wears it I'm attracted to them right now. I always get closer to any girl wearing this, sexiest female perfume hands down!! Ladies go out and purchase a bottle of this right now!!

NR for Her, Fleurs d'Oranger, and Tabac Blond, which gets my own engine going, therefore my man benefits greatly...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    Okay, looking for input (preferably from males) on what really gets your goat... Here are, what I feel, are the top three scents conducive to romance (in order from best to worst):

Opium YSL
    Lauren - RL

I'm no fan of the current "gourmand" craze aka Flowerbomb, Angel, and their ilk.

Thoughts / comments?
    Couple of thoughts:
    1) Did you post this over on the guys' side?
    2) There's a big difference between having one's goat gotten (meaning "to be angered") and "conducive to romance" - which is it to be?
    3) The idea of a 40 year-old thinking of him/herself as "older" is too funny for words
    4) You can count on Kevin to respond with Paris Hilton as the answer to anything. (Just kidding.)

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Talking Re: Sexiest feminine scents

HI Agree Opium is wonderful. Also Hermes Ambre Narguile, Narciso Rodriguez and Tom Ford Youth Dew Amber Nude is wonderul. Gotten a lot of complimetns of Bond Nuits de noho and just got Bond West Side. It is different with everyone and their chemistry. Try out a few samples

Please allow me to be honest. Many people have asked this question in many forms. The following explanation/opinion is intended to be kind but educational:

It is strictly a matter of personal taste and body chemistry. You cannot say one perfume is "sexy" for everyone. If you like it on everyone, that is understandable, but others may not agree--even the wearer.

Scientific studies have shown that the purpose of wearing a fragrance is to TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHO WE ARE. There is evidence that scent selection for the self is determined by genetics. (Please pm me if interested in reading the study.) People select the scents that work for themselves in order to attract the right mate. One person cannot select a scent that works for another person, especially without smelling it on him/her first and learning his/her reaction.

(Unless, of course, the purpose is to make that person into one's own image of whom they should be. Then it is similar to a fetish. "Here, wear this costume and I will be turned on. It doesn't matter who you are.")

Any further conjecture is like giving a music CD as a gift. The recipient must tell you what he/she likes, or it will become a wasted gift. My suggestion for choosing a scent to give to another person is to present him/her with a tester vial along with the box. That way, the box can be returned unopened if the tester does not smell "sexy" on that person, or in that person's opinion.

If you think a scent is so sexy that you want to smell it all the time, here is my honest opinion. Wear it. Yes, yourself. If you read this forum, you will see that men wear women's scents and vice versa. They can work beautifully on the "opposite" gender. Perhaps your nose is telling you that YOU are the right person for these scents.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    It is strictly a matter of personal taste and body chemistry. You cannot say one perfume is "sexy" for everyone.
    I agree with this.
    Well, actually you can say that a perfume is sexy for everyone, that people will buy/believe/will follow whatever other people say is another matter.

Scientific studies have shown that the purpose of wearing a fragrance is to TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHO WE ARE.
    I disagree with this.
    Scientific studies are as good as the data given and handled by the scientists, the scientist him/herself (if they are lying or not),etc... and there are some flaws to the scientific method as well, like reference class problems, underdetermination, some statistics problems, and the list goes on.
    It's good to know all the info, as long as it's reliable, but it can never be the end-all response or answer to whatever knowledge people are gathering, measuring, etc.

And as for this scpecific study, they obviously didn't work or asked anything to many basenoters (if any at all), i mean, "the purpose to wearing a fragrance is to tell people who we are"? i know many bnoters just won't agree.

On another note,I believe we are all different and unique but i do recognize the value of the responses to what is sexy to others in the sense that i can go and sample whatever their answer was and the decide for myself if it fits with me into the sexy thing or not, or if it can be placed somewhere else, and that would never mean that the scent in tself is not sexy (or that it is), it's just that it is sexy for me/you at the time, under the circumstances and all the variables that make me/you think that way.

cheers!

Wink Re: Sexiest feminine scents

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    Couple of thoughts:
    1) Did you post this over on the guys' side?
    2) There's a big difference between having one's goat gotten (meaning "to be angered") and "conducive to romance" - which is it to be?
    3) The idea of a 40 year-old thinking of him/herself as "older" is too funny for words
    4) You can count on Kevin to respond with Paris Hilton as the answer to anything. (Just kidding.)

Heh, perhaps I should have eluded more to "displaying your inner goat" as opposed to having it gotten! Good points, all!

For my husband THE most sexiest scent I've ever tried or owned is Nirmala by Molinard. This is the one scent he has reserved for us alone -and calls it my 'precious' scent .

However, he also really loves the following on me: Hypnotic Poison, Dior Addict, Mouboussin, Prada, Omnia, Hypnôse, My Queen, Bvlgari Black, Allure Sensuelle, Aimez Moi, Cašmir on me...

Scents I usually receive compliments on from men in general are: Hypnotic Poison, Hypnôse, Dior Addict, Mouboussin, Bvlgari Black and Gaultier².

P.S. I don't think he really likes straight floral scents...
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 4th December 2006 at 04:32 PM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I have to say that I definitely wear a scent to show others who I am, just as I pick my clothes, wear makeup, and share my taste in films and music in part to say "This is me." It isn't the only reason I choose things; sometimes it is for the sheer pleasure of listening to Chopin, wearing that silk bed jacket, smelling Datura Noir.

These two former threads on the same subject might help:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189978
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189761

Okay, looking for input (preferably from males)
    If you're looking for input from males, why didn't you post this on the Male Fragrance Discussion forum?
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Scientific studies have shown that the purpose of wearing a fragrance is to TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHO WE ARE. There is evidence that scent selection for the self is determined by genetics. (Please pm me if interested in reading the study.) People select the scents that work for themselves in order to attract the right mate.
    This is the one part of your post I also disagree with, Purplebird7. When I was younger I did wear scents with the partial intention of projection an outward image. But now, I wear scents purely for my own enjoyment.

Unhappy Re: Sexiest feminine scents

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    These two former threads on the same subject might help:

If you're looking for input from males, why didn't you post this on the Male Fragrance Discussion forum?
    Sorry - Newbie Syndrome. Also, I thought that other males besides myself would browse the female forum, and it seemed an appropriate place to post it.

Question Re: Sexiest feminine scents

Please allow me to be honest. Many people have asked this question in many forms. The following explanation/opinion is intended to be kind but educational:

It is strictly a matter of personal taste and body chemistry. You cannot say one perfume is "sexy" for everyone. If you like it on everyone, that is understandable, but others may not agree--even the wearer.

Scientific studies have shown that the purpose of wearing a fragrance is to TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHO WE ARE. There is evidence that scent selection for the self is determined by genetics. (Please pm me if interested in reading the study.) People select the scents that work for themselves in order to attract the right mate. One person cannot select a scent that works for another person, especially without smelling it on him/her first and learning his/her reaction.

(Unless, of course, the purpose is to make that person into one's own image of whom they should be. Then it is similar to a fetish. "Here, wear this costume and I will be turned on. It doesn't matter who you are.")

Any further conjecture is like giving a music CD as a gift. The recipient must tell you what he/she likes, or it will become a wasted gift. My suggestion for choosing a scent to give to another person is to present him/her with a tester vial along with the box. That way, the box can be returned unopened if the tester does not smell "sexy" on that person, or in that person's opinion.

If you think a scent is so sexy that you want to smell it all the time, here is my honest opinion. Wear it. Yes, yourself. If you read this forum, you will see that men wear women's scents and vice versa. They can work beautifully on the "opposite" gender. Perhaps your nose is telling you that YOU are the right person for these scents.

but don 't you think it 's first and foremost what is defined as sexy, what people, what men consider sexy before talking about sexy scents that involve the taste factor.

I agree that it's all in the eye of the beholder.

My ex (let's call him John) couldn't stand the smell of Angel, but then again at the time the only woman he knew who wore it was my twin sister. I did not start wearing it until later, after I had broken up with Dear John.

My current boyfriend adores Angel on me. He has said that it drives him wild. Then again...the scent association that we have. I am confident that he will find all my other perfumes just as sexy...A La Nuit, Prada, Narciso Rodriguez, Bulgari Pour Femme and Blu Notte, Vetyver, etc.

The ones I worry about is Muscs Koublai Khan and Borneo 1834! They are, well, avant-garde compared to the other scents I wear. Also he hasn't smelled them on me yet. I'm afraid that he'll be in my bathroom one day and take a big whiff of MKK and be horrified.

Sorry - Newbie Syndrome. Also, I thought that other males besides myself would browse the female forum, and it seemed an appropriate place to post it.
    OK, but I'll move this to the men's forum now.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

One word: Fracas!

Do take this gay man's comments with the necessary grain of salt, but here are a few of the feminine frags that I find very sexy:

Fidgi by Guy Laroche
    (Carnal tropical flowers dripping with estrogen and sweat. Pull out the tiki torches and the jungle drums, folks. Probably my very favorite female frag of all time.)

Ysatis by Givenchy
    (Lush floral that's almost edibly sweet -- but without being cloying. Positively intoxicating.)

Organza by Givenchy
    (Pure decadence, period. Haute couture for the masses. A fun bottle and lid, too!)

Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle
    (Raw sex in a bottle, period -- no matter which gender wears it.)

Paris by Yves St. Laurent
    (A bright and sparkling rose. Yes, that's right -- a rose that doesn't conjure up images of dreary funeral parlors and ugly memorial sprays, or dusty flacons filled with pallid, dated toilet waters, or sullen Goths brooding, smoking and listening to Morrissey in a cemetery somewhere. Don't get me wrong -- I love Iquitos and other dark roses. But enough is enough already -- a brilliant rose frag was a welcome change twenty-odd years ago, and remains so today.)

I haven't smelled Lauder's new Amber Nude yet; however, I'm currently having a hard time imagining ANY Lauder scent being labeled "sexy." Many are great, yes, esp. Youth Dew itself and Private Collection. Beautiful is just that (or so I think), and Knowing is a rich and sultry Oriental (but not sexy, really). Oh, and don't forget Cinnabar -- "the poor man's JHL". But SEXY? ANY OF THEM? I dunno -- maybe Amber Nude will change my mind on this one, but we'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th December 2006 at 04:07 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Bvlgari black (it may be unisex but smells sooo good on a woman)
    Angel
    Coco Madam
    Lolita Lempicka

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    My experience has been that a man will find any fragrance a woman chooses to wear sexy if he finds her desirable to begin with, presuming it isn't a perfume that really makes him gag. It goes with the whole package. There are plenty of male perfumistas on Basenotes, though, who may disagree with me - but I think they are the exceptions.
    I think you are right on! Its not about the perfume its about the woman. The perfume is a way for her to project her personality. The woman makes the perfume.

Kozulich

Red face Re: Sexiest feminine scents

Opium YSL
    Lauren - RL

Thoughts / comments?

I have only one thought : Laura, de Laura Biagiotti....If I smell this on a woman, my knees are getting weak...