Code of Conduct

Question Holiday fragrance ads... what's your fave/least fave?

Well, we're getting barraged by holiday fragrance ads right now for products ranging from Alien to Z Zegna.

So, what's your faves and least-faves of the holiday fragrance TV and print ads?
    It can be men's, women's, or unisex...

My faves are:
    • The Gaultier˛ TV ad. Everything about this ad is just perfect for the product it's pitching. Basically, the ad playing in the US right now is the same as the Euro one that played last year on the other side of the pond, but the US version adds an added voiceover in the middle that says "I've got to have you"... IMO, it adds a new dimension to the ad.
    • The Unforgivable TV ad. It, too fits the product very well.
    • The Armani Code for Men TV ad. "Do you have the code?"... I love that music... does anyone know what it is so I can buy it off of iTunes?
    My least-favorite:
    • The Liz Taylor White Diamonds TV ad. Please make this ad stop! It's been recycled over and over every Christmas for like what, five years now? Overall, a bad ad for a bad perfume.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Holiday fragrance ads... what's your fave/least fave?

When are these TV ads playing? Honestly, I can't say I've seen any of them except for the White Diamonds ad. Maybe they don't show them on G4, which is where I view most of the time these days... I wonder what the boys on the Enterprise are wearing?

I like the new print ads for Eternity Men/Women. The Swedish model Karl Lindman is soooo good-looking and handsome. I've seen the TV version on Youtube and it's really sexy, yet very classy.

Blog Entries

It's been a LONG TIME since I've seen a TV ad for a masculine frag. The last one I recall seeing was for Stetson Untamed, of all things. And the only perfume ad I've seen lately is the Chanel No. 5 one w/ Nicole Kidman. This is a pretty old ad (maybe 1 or 2 years old) but I've seen it on TV quite a bit lately.

Are most ads shown on cable? If they are that would explain why I never see them. I don't have cable. Are most of these ads on the designer's website, as well?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Yeah, due to the fact that I do not have cable, I hardly ever see any fragrance ads.

Regarding the music, the majority of music in ads are often created by different composers who specializes in commercial or film composition. Occasionally, you'll hear a "famous" piece in an ad (such as a Vivaldi in a Rolex commercial), but usually they're created from scratch on a computer. Programs such as East West, Cubase, etc. are used to create virtual orchestras and often than not, used to create music for commercials. Thus, the abilty to track down certain pieces my be extreamly difficult or impossible.

Sorry, guess I'm starting to ramble. There are many times that I have wondered where certain commerical music can be found and have been politely told that 95% of the music you hear was created on someone's PC.

Good luck.

I must be watching the wrong networks -- I haven't seen any! I watch mostly CNN, some BRAVO, Turner Classics, and ESPN.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by badaim
    Regarding the music, the majority of music in ads are often created by different composers who specializes in commercial or film composition. Occasionally, you'll hear a "famous" piece in an ad (such as a Vivaldi in a Rolex commercial), but usually they're created from scratch on a computer. Programs such as East West, Cubase, etc. are used to create virtual orchestras and often than not, used to create music for commercials. Thus, the abilty to track down certain pieces my be extreamly difficult or impossible.
    True. And often times, advertisers just grab off-the-shelf music from production music libraries. 615 Music in Nashville, Tennessee is one of these companies. Chances are that they also produced the news music for your favorite local TV newscast, too.. take a look at their website.

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

[QUOTE=MFfan310]
    The Armani Code for Men TV ad. "Do you have the code?"... I love that music... does anyone know what it is so I can buy it off of iTunes ?[/b]
    [QUOTE]

Do you mean the commercial with the hard synth. in it ? the song is "One Night In New York City" and it's by The Horrorist. and why buy it when i can send you the song ?

I wish I could find the video for it, i've looked everywhere on YouTube, Google Video, I can't find it anywhere..
    and I think they say "The Ultimate Code of Seduction" instead of "do you have the code?" but i'm not sure :P
    Last edited by 1280adam; 5th December 2006 at 10:20 PM.

Oh, and fragrance retailers have been doing ads, too.

The holiday "for him" TV ad for Macy's clearly shows a bottle of Euphoria Men... you can see it here. There's also a bottle of perfume in the "for her" ad.. I think it's a bottle of Gaultier˛, but I'm not sure.

For TV ads, I can only recall seeing two - the Antonio Banderas fragrance (just saw it last night) and the one for White Diamonds.

Ads in print (magazines); to me there are none thay really stand out. They all seem to be lacking in creative imagination. The majority are recycled from ad to ad. The same man, woman, or any combunation of them looking like store mannequins. I can remember the L'Eau D'Issey ad showing the bottle and the ingredients in raw form, but still not a ground breaking ad.