Code of Conduct

Default just took a coffee break to the mall

...next to my office building, and before heading to starbucks i took a stroll through Sephora and decided to try 4 fragrances (front and back of each hand)

here's how they fared:

first (back of left hand): Rochas Man
    Nice, a bit too sweet for me, had previously been a strong contender for a next purchase, but unless it dries down considerably over the next couple of hours, i probably won't. I bought Pi on the "i love the sweet smell" type reaction, and hardly ever decide to wear it now.

next (back of right hand): YSL Kouros
    OK I've heard and read all the love it or hate it stuff on this one. Decided to give it a try. Immediately upon spraying the blast really killed me, just one good squirt, but squarely on the back of my hand in one spot. YIKES! people actually walked away from the men fragrance rack a couple of moments later. wow. at this point it's actually starting to make me feel a little queasy (30-45 minutes later), and i'm considering going to wash it off, but want to give it a chance to dry down some. as much as it's starting to nauseate me a bit, i can actually see this wearing well UNDER a couple of layers of clothing and emanating out gently, rather than one concentrated blast on the back of a hand

then (palm of left hand): Cartier Declaration Essence
    Wow, immediately loved this one from first spreay. A bit "dirty" smelling, in a way I wasn't expecting, but really classy. I think Cartier may be turning into my favorite house. This one just keeps getting better and better over the 30 minutes. Just pushed its way up on my list of "next to buy"

lastly (palm of right hand): Givenchy Very Irresistble
    A bit greener than I was expecting having read all the "gourmand, chocolate, coffee" type remarks about it. Not a bad smell, but just not very distinct after comparing the other three fragrances I've just encountered. Also, there's a distinct leeching of the Kouros from the top of my hand that is leeching in every time I smell, which is mingling in a really horrid way. I think it's adding to my nauseous feeling a bit.

So out of the 4, I'm kinda thinking two have definitely been voted off the island (VI and Rochas) and only one remains (Cartier), but verdict is still strangely out on Kouros. It's reminding me of something as well that I can't quite put my finger on. But I'm also getting public toilet where people have repeatedly missed the john and there's a crusty puddle o' dried pee on the floor next to the loo.

Default Re: just took a coffee break to the mall

Interesting, but I have to comment that I wouldn't recommend spraying into the palm of your hand if you want to get a good idea of how it dries down. I've done what you have done many times (trying multiple things at once), and would recommend you pull up your sleeve (if you're wearing long sleeves) and spraying the top of your wrist instead of the palm of your hand. I think for most, the palm of your hand sweats much more than top of your wrist, and will give a less than accurate idea of how it will dry down.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Interesting, but I have to comment that I wouldn't recommend spraying into the palm of your hand if you want to get a good idea of how it dries down. I've done what you have done many times (trying multiple things at once), and would recommend you pull up your sleeve (if you're wearing long sleeves) and spraying the top of your wrist instead of the palm of your hand. I think for most, the palm of your hand sweats much more than top of your wrist, and will give a less than accurate idea of how it will dry down.

Just my two cents.

Yep, I agree. I guess I should actually say I sprayed the inside of my wrist, not my palm. But that's only out of experience from having found the same as you.

Thanks!

Addendum: I've now washed my hands twice pretty thoroughly, and the Kouros isn't giving an inch LOL

my coworker who sits next to me, the one who often comments when i "smell good" told me that i smell "like cat pee"
    Last edited by rentboy; 5th December 2006 at 08:47 PM.

Givenchy Very Irresistible is truly vile, and headache/nausea-inducing. My opinion anyway.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Rochas Man is not just a sweet fragrence. It has depth and complexity.

Give it a fair try, its a grower!

The comparison to PI is not even close, IMHO.

I would love to hear someone ask you what you're wearing, to which you would respond, "Rochas Man, Kouros, Very Irresistable, and Declaration Essence...wha' do ya' think!?"

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon
    Rochas Man is not just a sweet fragrence. It has depth and complexity.

Give it a fair try, its a grower!

The comparison to PI is not even close, IMHO.
    I totally agree wit ya! But, i might actually be biased towards the RM since it's one of my personal favorites . Apparently out of the many gourmands i've tried and owned, niche and designer, i always find myself loving RM the most, thus it has been my numero uno gourmand fragrance of all time. It also really lasts on me, in fact well into the next day. Even though i liked it the first time i tried it, RM was still a grower, from fascination to an intense love affair, one of the few that makes me brave enough to say "we are inseparable".
    Also, it's a good thing that RM is not popular, the last thing you need is to let Ricky Martin wear it on another one of those Regis & Kelly episodes, and then the whole world starts to aquire about it, in fact i wish this one is being discountinued as we speak. I gotta be selfish sometimes, no? "self-interests is what moves the world".

5/5
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Givenchy Very Irresistible is truly vile, and headache/nausea-inducing. My opinion anyway.
    I agree, the Summer version is just as worse. Was sitting next to a guy who was wearing the Summer version and I just had a big headache that I had move away it smelt so synthetic that it hurt my brain .
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH