Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Houston....the Jicky has landed.

Well, at last the much anticipated arrival of Jicky came in the brown truck this afternoon. With hands shaking, fumbling the box lid open I excavated from the styrofoam peanuts the bottle, complete with golden incasement. I sprayed a blast on my arm and inhaled. Unlike Mitsouko it wasn't love at first sniff. Civet! Well, that was only moments ago although it seems to be departing and now it's getting better. I will amend this post later today as it develops on my arm. Status so far is that Mitsouko is still my main squeeze.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 17th December 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Houston....the Jicky has landed.

I hated Jicky the first time I smelled it. I love it now.

Which formula did you get? The Eau de Parfum / Parfum de Toilette?

Blog Entries

Oh, I forgot to say it is EDP.

Basenotes Institution

As I suspected. So yes civet, civet, civet! It will, with time, recede into the background to highlight and lift the lavender and other notes quite nicely. But until your nose becomes attenuated to it, it will smell like sh*t. Literally.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Jicky.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th December 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Funny, I loved Jicky the first time I sniffed it (PDT, which as far as I can tell is the same thing as the EDP).

Yes civet (mmmmm...civet) but also lavender.

Still haven't sprung for a full bottle, but I'm dying to get some!

Sur la Plage

I recoiled in horror the first time I smelled it.

But there was something about it that made me want to keep sampling it - which I am glad I did. Now I love it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Here is late breaking news:My border collie named Charlie is absolutely fascinated with Jicky. He put his nose snugly on my arm where I sprayed the Jicky and kept going back a number of times for deep breaths.What's up with that? Anyway, the civet finally calmed down and the edp stayed good on my skin most of the day and, of course, Jicky now has the good fragrance seal of approval from Charlie.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 18th December 2008 at 04:31 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Here is late breaking news:My border collie named Charlie is absolutely fascinated with Jicky. He put his nose snugly on my arm where I sprayed the Jicky and kept going back a number of times for deep breaths.What's up with that? Anyway, the civet finally calmed down and the edp stayed good on my skin most of the day and, of course, Jicky now has the good fragrance seal of approval from Charlie.
    You do know where civet comes from, right? Cats. Charlie doesn't smell Jicky. He smells a cat.

mikeperez, I think most of the civet used in perfumery these days is artificial...so it is possible the dog smells cat-butt, but I think it could be any other ingredient also. Too bad we can't really study how dogs' nose receptors interpret the real vs the synthetic. Many times when I smell artificial interpretations of natural oils, they smell distinctly different, in some cases to the point of not being recognizable (eg sandalwood or oakmoss). Still it would be interesting to know if the civet is really recognizable to the dog.

My neighbor dog likes fougeres. Given the amount of dog markings on the lavender in my my old garden, I suspect that is also a contender
    Last edited by Asha; 18th December 2008 at 02:20 PM.

Also civet "cats" are not cats, but rather members of the family Viverridae, which also includes genets, linsangs, and the binturong (which smells like Fritos!).

If it was actually cat parts that make Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, and Eau d'Hermes smell so good, I'd say use more cats in perfumery!

Blog Entries

Day 2, the test continues. Just to verify yesterday's experience with my dog's reaction to Jicky I sprayed some Jicky on this morning. Results: same thing. Charlie very interested, for a short time, in the fragrance. I must say that Jicky became much more pleasant later in the day yesterday. Strangely, Jicky starts out with the civet, then calms down, then I loose the smell of the fragrance on myself, unless I smell the spot sprayed, then it resurfaces pleasantly at times during the day. I find myself wondering how others perceive it.